Author Topic: Pantheism  (Read 36336 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Pantheism
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2016, 01:35:04 PM »
Go back and see which word I really used.
Sorry you used the word inescapably.......which is another way of saying irresistible surely

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »
No, what I discounted was your attempt to tie in feelings of alienation with pantheism.
So there is no alienation then ...everything is just Rosy and harmonious.

That isn't just wrong it could be mad and even dangerous.

Rhiannon

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2016, 01:38:50 PM »
Sorry you used the word inescapably.......which is another way of saying irresistible surely

No. I find Green and Blacks 85% irresistible; you may not. But study even the basics of any aspect of life or the universe and you cannot escape from how incredible it is. Some might choose not to engage with it of course.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2016, 01:39:13 PM »
;)

It could well be, our connectedness as in our ( all life) reliance on each other, the food chain from the minutest to the biggest.

Ecology, is the word.

How everything fits.

Even decay and how that works, bacteria and bugs breaking it down back to nutrients to feed roots and fungi

The cycle of birth death and rebirth.

Planting a tree over a loved one, seeing it bloom with blossom.

Yes, I think it is.

;)
Yes but what has this got to do with everything being God.

Shaker

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2016, 01:41:17 PM »
You asked: "Is knowledge of being part of the nutrient cycle pantheism?"

Rose answered your question in the affirmative.

So what it has to do with everything being God, alias pantheism, is that you asked a question about pantheism and had it answered.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Bubbles

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2016, 01:42:21 PM »

Because if everything is God, that would involve ...... Well everything.....including how nature knits everything together.🌹 :)

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2016, 01:45:24 PM »
Shaker......I found your get out of jail free card in the OP

The term Naturalistic pantheism is mentioned as underpinning the largest group of pantheists in the world...............

I take it the definition of world to mean America. What about Hinduism?

And Natrulistic Pantheism.........for goodness sake. That is really taking the piss.......out of Rhiannon.

Shaker

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »
Still not leaving as you said you were, I see.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2016, 01:46:29 PM »
Because if everything is God, that would involve ...... Well everything.....including how nature knits everything together.🌹 :)
tis true.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »
Sorry, am I slowing down your faux conversion to theism?

Shaker

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »
Sorry, am I slowing down your faux conversion to theism?
No, you're just being a boring little troll as usual.

Rhiannon

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »
So there is no alienation then ...everything is just Rosy and harmonious.

That isn't just wrong it could be mad and even dangerous.

Vlad, this is what you said.

I feel you concentrate on some being alienated against you and you beliefs.

To make out that by denying that this is either personally true or anything to do with pantheism I am therefore discounting feelings of alienation is dishonest and manipulative on your part.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2016, 01:51:27 PM »
Shaker when the Nationwide merged with the Anglia building society it became the Nationwide Anglia.
It is now the Nationwide.

What will happen to Naturalistic Pantheism?............that's right. Naturalism.

Shaker

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2016, 01:52:11 PM »
Shaker when the Nationwide merged with the Anglia building society it became the Nationwide Anglia.

What will happen to Naturalistic Pantheism?............that's right. Naturalism.
Suits me just fine already.

Don't let the door, etc.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:55:29 PM by Shaker »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2016, 01:54:11 PM »
Vlad, this is what you said.

I feel you concentrate on some being alienated against you and you beliefs.

To make out that by denying that this is either personally true or anything to do with pantheism I am therefore discounting feelings of alienation is dishonest and manipulative on your part.
I'm sorry but what I am getting at is I feel you play the man rather than the ball and you have little interest in fielding challenging questions about pantheism.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »
Suits me just find already.

Don't let the door, etc.

Ok I'm off then

Rhiannon

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2016, 01:56:33 PM »
I'm sorry but what I am getting at is I feel you play the man rather than the ball and you have little interest in fielding challenging questions about pantheism.

Where was I supposed to go with a post linking pantheism and imaginary beings? That's not challenging, it's nonsensical.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2016, 02:01:26 PM »
Where was I supposed to go with a post linking pantheism and imaginary beings? That's not challenging, it's nonsensical.

So the word God is now frowned on in pantheism.

Rhiannon you are no more a theist than my arse.

Bubbles

« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2016, 02:04:30 PM »

One could argue that if science discovered and proved something supernatural one day, it would cease to be supernatural.

Our viewpoint of the universe would shift.

If a reason for ghosts could be proved ( say through some quirk of quantum physics) it would no longer be classed as supernatural.

I'm not sure naturalism rules out the possibility that there are things we don't know.

Hence I think there will always be room to wonder  ;)

🌹

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »
One could argue that if science discovered and proved something supernatural one day, it would cease to be supernatural.

Our viewpoint of the universe would shift.

If a reason for ghosts could be proved ( say through some quirk of quantum physics) it would no longer be classed as supernatural.

I'm not sure naturalism rules out the possibility that there are things we don't know.

🌹
It can't. Science is methodologically naturalistic. It is based on an assumption of natural causes. To evidence something supernatural, you would need a supernatural method. Despite asking on this board from believers many hundreds of times, nothing has appeared.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2016, 02:10:06 PM »
It can't. Science is methodologically naturalistic. It is based on an assumption of natural causes. To evidence something supernatural, you would need a supernatural method. Despite asking on this board from believers many hundreds of times, nothing has appeared.
I think philosophy can help us out though..........and of course complete empiricism has never proved very useful to mankind.

Revelation would help of course.

Bubbles

« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2016, 02:15:55 PM »

To me dividing the naturalistic from the supernatural is a mistake, because often by labelling it, it gets dismissed.

Sometimes things that are considered supernatural are only perceived that way because we have lacked the science to look into them further.

Rainbows used to be considered supernatural once as did northan lights. When the science evolved we found they were real and not outside what we thought of as nature.

It may be we don't have the tools in science yet and some things only happen under certain conditions.

There could be many things we are unaware of and unable to measure scientifically ATM.

Shaker

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »
It may be we don't have the tools in science yet and some things only happen under certain conditions.

There could be many things we are unaware of and unable to measure scientifically ATM.
Indeed - but that's an argument for waiting patiently for the conceptual and technological tools to come around, not carte blanche to plug the holes with bedtime stories.

Bubbles

« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2016, 03:56:24 PM »
Indeed - but that's an argument for waiting patiently for the conceptual and technological tools to come around, not carte blanche to plug the holes with bedtime stories.

Yes it is, but people always wonder.

Especially if they happen to experience or see something.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2016, 04:10:13 PM »
To me dividing the naturalistic from the supernatural is a mistake, because often by labelling it, it gets dismissed.

Sometimes things that are considered supernatural are only perceived that way because we have lacked the science to look into them further.

Rainbows used to be considered supernatural once as did northan lights. When the science evolved we found they were real and not outside what we thought of as nature.

There could be, but that's irrelevant to the point. Everything could be done by magic pixies, science woj't find it because it's just a method of investigation based on an assumption of naturalism. This isn't saying that is no such thing as the 'supernatural". You need a method that would allow that.