Author Topic: Hey European Union, your Anti-Semitism is showing  (Read 4508 times)

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
Hey European Union, your Anti-Semitism is showing
« on: February 22, 2016, 03:14:37 PM »
The only positive in this story is that Israel will always welcome Jews from around the world. The Jews have an ancient homeland to flee to.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/17/opinions/europe-anti-semitism-thriving-oren/index.html

"If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy."   Psalm 137:6

Sebastian Toe

Re: Hey European Union, your Anti-Semitism is showing
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:13:20 PM »
The only positive in this story is that Israel will always welcome Jews from around the world. The Jews have an ancient homeland to flee to.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/17/opinions/europe-anti-semitism-thriving-oren/index.html

Looks like Europe is not the only place showing it?

Why is Antisemitism in Canada Soaring?
http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/why-is-antisemitism-in-canada-soaring/2015/06/17/

Study: Anti-Semitism Skyrockets in Canada
Highest level of anti-Semitic incidents ‘ever recorded’

http://freebeacon.com/issues/study-anti-semitism-skyrockets-in-canada/

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:38:19 PM »
It's not Jews that are being targeted by these measure, it's the state of Israel. I don't think that that amounts to 'Anti-Semitism'
Brexit Bar:

Full of nuts but with lots of flakey bits and a bitter aftertaste

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 07:10:06 PM »
It's not Jews that are being targeted by these measure, it's the state of Israel. I don't think that that amounts to 'Anti-Semitism'
Yes indeed. Most Jews don't live in Israel, which is, by the way, a secular state.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 10:58:12 PM »
Sorry Mr. Toe, EU policy of boycotting. Canada's new government just confirmed it's rejection of groups calling for boycotting Israel. As far as the individual, well yes of course, haters in every nation.

http://freespeechtwentyfirstcentury.com/2016/02/20/with-bipartisan-backing-canada-to-reject-israel-boycott/

http://www.jspacenews.com/top-10-countries-boycott-israel/

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 12:41:33 AM »
Sorry Mr. Toe, EU policy of boycotting. Canada's new government just confirmed it's rejection of groups calling for boycotting Israel. As far as the individual, well yes of course, haters in every nation.

http://freespeechtwentyfirstcentury.com/2016/02/20/with-bipartisan-backing-canada-to-reject-israel-boycott/

What point if any, are you trying to make?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 01:05:32 AM »
Well Mr. Toe, try reading the link. Are you for your EU boycotts of Israel and what do you make of the article? I agree with the points made in the article and my government also states that boycotts are harmful to Palestinians and Israel. Seems like you just don't want your boycotts mentioned.

Bubbles

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 09:57:33 AM »

"If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy."   Psalm 137:6

And yet some Jews have different opinions on it and their definition of anti semitism is different.

ANTISEMITISM AND BANNING BOYCOTTS

We find it incompatible with democratic freedom, and counterproductive, that the government intends to block ethical investment and procurement decisions by public bodies lest they “poison and polarise debate and fuel antisemitism” [Boycotting of Israeli goods to be criminal offence, February 15]

Opposition to the State of Israel’s continued occupation, crimes against the Palestinian people and violation of international law, has nothing whatever to do with antisemitism. What smacks of antisemitism is to think that all Jews uncritically support Israel’s actions.

The truth is that growing numbers of Jews in this country and abroad see the Palestinian boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement for what it is – a weapon of moral persuasion, deploying a tactic frequently used by powerless people in their opposition to racism, slavery and oppression.

History shows us boycotts against slave grown sugar in the West Indies, the movement of Irish tenant farmers against the eponymous Captain Boycott, Gandhi’s Indian boycott of British sales of salt and the global movement which helped end apartheid in South Africa.

In every case the Tories of the day opposed the boycott, siding with the oppressor against the oppressed.

If Cabinet Office minister Matt Hancock goes ahead and announces the ban during a visit to Israel, claiming without a shred of evidence that “local foreign policies” are “undermining our national security”, he will demonstrate his government’s continuation of an ignoble tradition.

https://jews4big.wordpress.com

If someone is Jewish it's best not to assume you know what their veiw is based on a stereotype.

I don't boycott anything, and I try and avoid discussions on Israel if I meet someone who is Jewish unless they want to discuss it.

Unfortunately any comment can be taken as antisemitism if you bring it up.

I have found its best not to, individual Jews are not responsible for the actions of the Israeli government anyway, just because they are Jewish.

It's one of those subjects that is a minefield and very easy to put your foot in it.

I have discussed it in the past, but normally at public type meetings where the Jews that are there, are there to discuss it, so obviously are more open.

I avoid it otherwise unless prompted.

It's not as straight forward as your link implies.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:08:17 AM by Rose »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 11:02:06 AM »
Well Mr. Toe, try reading the link. Are you for your EU boycotts of Israel and what do you make of the article? I agree with the points made in the article and my government also states that boycotts are harmful to Palestinians and Israel. Seems like you just don't want your boycotts mentioned.
On reading the article, can you point out in it where the EU specifically calls for boycotting Israeli goods?
Albert Einstein

ippy

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 11:21:29 AM »
About a week or two ago I was reading that 25% of all of the Nobel prizes were won by Jews, I suppose like the rest of us they're not perfect and then when you look at their history, if they had a touch of paranoia here and there it shouldn't be so surprising if it manifests itself in their actions from time to time.

ippy

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 02:56:05 PM »

Precisely, JC - boycotting the State of Israel - not the Jews.  Remember that the population of Israel isn't purely Jewish.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 02:57:38 PM »
Oddly enough, JC, I've come across a number of Jews living in the West who support boycotting Israel when it comes to their treatment of Palestinians.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

floo

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »
Oddly enough, JC, I've come across a number of Jews living in the West who support boycotting Israel when it comes to their treatment of Palestinians.

It is nothing to do with being anti-Semitic, which is wrong, it is not agreeing with Israel's attitude to the Palestinians, which is also wrong.

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »
It is nothing to do with being anti-Semitic, which is wrong, it is not agreeing with Israel's attitude to the Palestinians, which is also wrong.

Whenever the State of Israel is criticised for their human rights record, they immediately start accusing their critics of anti-Semitism.
Brexit Bar:

Full of nuts but with lots of flakey bits and a bitter aftertaste

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 04:27:19 PM »

Quite so.

Johnny, I know where you're coming from, but bear in mind the current Zionist State of Israel is not a representation of the Jewish people.... it is a political agenda. Their Babylonian Talmud is anti-Christ, anti-Christian and against the teachings of the Torah.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 04:33:38 PM »
Whenever the State of Israel is criticised for their human rights record, they immediately start accusing their critics of anti-Semitism.
Which is disgraceful. Criticising the policies of the state of Israel is not an attack on people who are Jewish.

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 05:37:31 PM »
It is anti-Semitism when countries single out individual business people, their products, teachers, professors and scientists, and athletes for boycotts. While at the same time freely buying Chinese goods and doing business with their people. Yup, that's China, a country that will slaughter their own right in the middle of their capital. A country that slaughters into submission the country of Tibet and will mow down their Muslim minority.  Then we have these same boycotting countries tripping over each other in celebrating the USA lifting sanctions against the brutal Castro brothers.  So yes, this boycotting of Israel is nothing but ant-semtitism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD2vo1VPi-M

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 05:49:10 PM »
It is anti-Semitism when countries single out individual business people, their products, teachers, professors and scientists, and athletes for boycotts. While at the same time freely buying Chinese goods and doing business with their people. Yup, that's China, a country that will slaughter their own right in the middle of their capital. A country that slaughters into submission the country of Tibet and will mow down their Muslim minority.  Then we have these same boycotting countries tripping over each other in celebrating the USA lifting sanctions against the brutal Castro brothers.  So yes, this boycotting of Israel is nothing but ant-semtitism.

No it isn't - any country boycott does that - you will, no doubt be aware, that after years of boycott Iran has had sanctions relaxed. Those sanctions affected individual business people, their products, teachers, professors and scientists etc etc from that country. So was the boycott of Iran anti-islamic, given that Iran is an islamic state.

If it is antisemitic then the same boycott would apply to jews who are Israeli, but it doesn't. If it was anti-Semitic it wouldn't apply to Israeli nationals who aren't jewish, but it does. The action is against the state of Israel not against the jewish religion or people because they are jewish. Just as the sanctions on Iran were against the state of Iranl not against the islamic religion or people because they are muslim.

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 11:12:08 PM »
Stephan Dion, Canadian foreign affairs minister for the new Liberal government,
 "We must fight anti-semitism in all it's forms."
 "We must oppose the boycott, divest, sanctions campaign in our communities and continue to speak out forcefully against them"

Bubbles

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 06:46:22 AM »
No it isn't - any country boycott does that - you will, no doubt be aware, that after years of boycott Iran has had sanctions relaxed. Those sanctions affected individual business people, their products, teachers, professors and scientists etc etc from that country. So was the boycott of Iran anti-islamic, given that Iran is an islamic state.

If it is antisemitic then the same boycott would apply to jews who are Israeli, but it doesn't. If it was anti-Semitic it wouldn't apply to Israeli nationals who aren't jewish, but it does. The action is against the state of Israel not against the jewish religion or people because they are jewish. Just as the sanctions on Iran were against the state of Iranl not against the islamic religion or people because they are muslim.

The problem is people are sometimes extremely unpleasant and rude to Jews, because of Israel.

Even the reform Jews near me, have told me that when Israel is in the news they get treated badly, about it.

No one asks what they think, people assume what they think and are nasty and confrontational purely because they are Jewish and therefore considered responsible.

They don't even live in Israel.

That's why it's often seen as anti semantic.

Until people stop targeting random Jews to confront over it, it will be seen as anti semantic.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:49:12 AM by Rose »

Khatru

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 08:00:21 AM »

You're failing to distinguish between the zionist state of Israel and the Jews.

What's more, it's easy to see how you're imputing your false Christian sense of persecution on the Jews.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 08:47:05 AM »
The problem is people are sometimes extremely unpleasant and rude to Jews, because of Israel.

Even the reform Jews near me, have told me that when Israel is in the news they get treated badly, about it.

No one asks what they think, people assume what they think and are nasty and confrontational purely because they are Jewish and therefore considered responsible.

They don't even live in Israel.

That's why it's often seen as anti semantic.

Until people stop targeting random Jews to confront over it, it will be seen as anti semantic.
I agree that targeting random jews is anti-semitic. Targeting Israel isn't.

But the blanket approach cannot be justified the other way around, in other word claiming anyone who is critical of Israel is anti-semitic. They aren't.

Bubbles

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 01:15:45 PM »
You're failing to distinguish between the zionist state of Israel and the Jews.

What's more, it's easy to see how you're imputing your false Christian sense of persecution on the Jews.

To be fair, the Jews have their own sense of persecution which has probably filtered down through Christianity.

Khatru

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 10:14:57 PM »
To be fair, the Jews have their own sense of persecution which has probably filtered down through Christianity.

Yes, I guess they do.  After all, there's a long history of Jewish persecution at the hands of Christians.  They certainly don't need a further sense of persecution imputed on them by followers of Christ.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 02:35:58 PM »
Thanks for your usual load of BS Khatru.

Now for something positive from B.C.  Canadian couple sending an ancient breed of sheep (Jacob sheep) to Israel.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/abbotsford-farm-returns-jacob-sheep-to-israel-1.3478635