Author Topic: Twitter!  (Read 2959 times)

Bubbles

Twitter!
« on: February 23, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »
What is it about Twitter that gets even the most rational people to make the most idiotic statements?

For some reason it's more dangerous than messageboards.

( dangerous in the sense of getting lynched for thoughtless comments)

https://skepchick.org/2016/01/necss-dumps-richard-dawkins-over-hate-tweet/

Is it perhaps because it's a one liner that people fire off without thinking.

Twitter seems to have far more power to really upset people.........and get a reaction.

floo

Re: Twitter!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 08:34:36 AM »
I post on Twitter, and agree some people's statements are crazy.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 09:15:17 AM »
What is it about Twitter that gets even the most rational people to make the most idiotic statements?

For some reason it's more dangerous than messageboards.

( dangerous in the sense of getting lynched for thoughtless comments)

https://skepchick.org/2016/01/necss-dumps-richard-dawkins-over-hate-tweet/

Is it perhaps because it's a one liner that people fire off without thinking.

Twitter seems to have far more power to really upset people.........and get a reaction.
Hmm ...

I agree that too many people make too many ill advised comments on Twitter, perhaps due to the ease of tweeting first, think later, plus the difficulty of the character limit which lends itself to one-liner type sound bites rather than thought out comment.

But on this actual subject - I've just checked the details. Did Dawkins abuse anyone in his tweet - nope, all he did was link to a youtube with a woman being extremely abusive in a protest at the University of Toronto. He didn't even make any specific comment (I guess the video speaks for itself).

So judge for yourself - here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxY-5ISEHPg

Is this woman being rude, abusive of others, patronising in the extreme and not allowing debate. Hmm - I think the evidence is there for all to see.

Dawkins was accused of condoning abuse against her :o I can only see one person dishing out the abuse, and that is her.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »
Given the limited space it is not possible to develop an argument, so it is more about what you don't say and the "nudge effect". The meaning of any tweet, obviously, is whatever you take it to mean.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Bubbles

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 10:23:52 AM »
Hmm ...

I agree that too many people make too many ill advised comments on Twitter, perhaps due to the ease of tweeting first, think later, plus the difficulty of the character limit which lends itself to one-liner type sound bites rather than thought out comment.

But on this actual subject - I've just checked the details. Did Dawkins abuse anyone in his tweet - nope, all he did was link to a youtube with a woman being extremely abusive in a protest at the University of Toronto. He didn't even make any specific comment (I guess the video speaks for itself).

So judge for yourself - here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxY-5ISEHPg

Is this woman being rude, abusive of others, patronising in the extreme and not allowing debate. Hmm - I think the evidence is there for all to see.

Dawkins was accused of condoning abuse against her :o I can only see one person dishing out the abuse, and that is her.
She received death and rape threats, some  of which was  claimed as a result of that tweet.

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2013/04/15/canadian-feminist-activist-receives-death-threats-and-other-abuse-after-being-targeted-by-mens-rights-activists/

However this is  the other side  of the story

http://youtu.be/M2KPeMcYsuc

The feminist movement does seem somewhat hysterical, but no one deserves death threats.

The problem is Twitter just seems to spread hate.

Bubbles

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:25:55 AM »
Given the limited space it is not possible to develop an argument, so it is more about what you don't say and the "nudge effect". The meaning of any tweet, obviously, is whatever you take it to mean.

Yes I think that is part of it.
People don't have enough words to soften what they say.

Bubbles

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 10:36:20 AM »
She received death and rape threats, some  of which was  claimed as a result of that tweet.

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2013/04/15/canadian-feminist-activist-receives-death-threats-and-other-abuse-after-being-targeted-by-mens-rights-activists/

Dawkins made the offending tweet last month - the report you link to about death threats was from 2013 - so I find it hard to see how death threats a couple of years ago can be the result of a tweet a month ago.

I agree that no one deserves death threats, and I suspect Dawkins doesn't either and he certainly didn't make any or condone any.

The feminist movement does seem somewhat hysterical, but no one deserves death threats.
Yup I've already seen this video - he ridicules her and their campaigning approach - so what - actually he uses their own evidence to condemn them which is pretty easy given the footage. Isn't that part of the whole freedom of speech agenda? He doesn't shout at people simple standing quietly (but clearly disagreeing with her view) to STFU.

Shaker

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 10:38:58 AM »
I was a keen Tweeter (Twitterer?) for a while - the compact nature of a tweet made it good for imparting information such as URLs, so if you're trying to promote a website or raise attention to a particular cause, Twitter is great. For conversation, of course (and especially anything that requires a bit of subtlety and nuance) it's hopeless.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Bubbles

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 11:16:04 AM »
Dawkins made the offending tweet last month - the report you link to about death threats was from 2013 - so I find it hard to see how death threats a couple of years ago can be the result of a tweet a month ago.

I agree that no one deserves death threats, and I suspect Dawkins doesn't either and he certainly didn't make any or condone any.
Yup I've already seen this video - he ridicules her and their campaigning approach - so what - actually he uses their own evidence to condemn them which is pretty easy given the footage. Isn't that part of the whole freedom of speech agenda? He doesn't shout at people simple standing quietly (but clearly disagreeing with her view) to STFU.

Looking around I've seem a lot worse, it's not Twitter though so I'll start a new thread.

Khatru

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »
I never really got into Twitter, when I was working I never had the time to spend responding to it.

I've always preferred Facebook.

Mind you, I retired about 8 months ago when I hit 58, so I guess I have plenty of free time for Twitter.

Save that I'm set in my ways and I'll just remain an opinionated old git on Facebook.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Shaker

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 11:57:26 AM »
... and R & E ;)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

ippy

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 12:27:16 PM »
Had a look at signing in to facebook and found they wanted a lot more info about me than I felt comfortablet to give in order to join in, I still don't do facebook.

ippy

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 12:34:21 PM »
What makes you think Richard Dawkins is one of "the most rational people"? Just because he is an excellent scientific author does not make him immune to stupidity in other areas.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Bubbles

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
What makes you think Richard Dawkins is one of "the most rational people"? Just because he is an excellent scientific author does not make him immune to stupidity in other areas.

That's true, but if it wasn't for Twitter we'd probably miss it  ;)

Rhiannon

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 01:41:43 PM »

The problem is Twitter just seems to spread hate.

The feminist movement is hysterical?

1. Really?

2. Discover the root of the word 'hysterical'.

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 01:52:41 PM »
What's a twitter? What's a tweeting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjAcyTXRunY

Bubbles

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 03:11:19 PM »
The feminist movement is hysterical?

1. Really?

2. Discover the root of the word 'hysterical'.

Here is an example

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2433058/British-model-Hollie-May-Saker-PUNCHES-topless-feminist-protester-stormed-Paris-Fashion-Week-catwalk.html

If someone does invade the stage screaming half naked and starts trying to pull up the models skirts...... That's hysterical.
Perhaps I should have said some of the feminist movement is hysterical, usually  the ones that get publicity.

affected by or deriving from wildly uncontrolled emotion.
"Janet became hysterical and began screaming"
synonyms:   overwrought, emotional, uncontrolled, uncontrollable, out of control, unrestrained, unrestrainable, frenzied, in a frenzy, frantic, wild, feverish;

A Liverpool model tipped to be the next Kate Moss has described the moment she punched a topless feminist who attacked her as she strutted down the catwalk at Paris Fashion Week.
Anfield-born Hollie-May Saker, 18, was modelling for Nina Ricci at a show in the Tuileries gardens yesterday when two half-naked female protesters invaded the stage, screaming.
As one of the women, from the radical feminist group Femen, grabbed Miss Saker's arm and tried to lift her skirt, the model lashed out, striking her squarely on the nose. Despite being badly shaken by the unwanted hiccup, Miss Saker continued her run as if nothing had happened.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2433058/British-model-Hollie-May-Saker-PUNCHES-topless-feminist-protester-stormed-Paris-Fashion-Week-catwalk.html#ixzz416BP2Jxq
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Definately sounds hysterical to me.
The model enjoys being a model, it's her choice.

Unless all women want to wear burkas instead so men can't see them?

Anyone would think these feminists think women shouldn't dress in revealing clothes and walk down the catwalk.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:21:41 PM by Rose »

Rhiannon

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 04:41:56 PM »
Rose,

From Wiki.

For at least two thousand years of European history until the late nineteenth century hysteria referred to a medical condition thought to be particular to women and caused by disturbances of the uterus (from the Greek ὑστέρα hystera "uterus"), such as when a newborn child emerges from the birth canal.

Rest here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteria

Shaker

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 04:47:38 PM »
Quote from: Rose
If someone does invade the stage screaming half naked and starts trying to pull up the models skirts...... That's hysterical.
Perhaps I should have said some of the feminist movement is hysterical, usually  the ones that get publicity.

Anyone would think these feminists think women shouldn't dress in revealing clothes and walk down the catwalk.
Having issued the standard disclaimer that I don't condone violence, I have to say I gave an inward cheer at one of these idiots being lamped by a model :D

Rhiannon

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 05:43:11 PM »

Here is an example

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2433058/British-model-Hollie-May-Saker-PUNCHES-topless-feminist-protester-stormed-Paris-Fashion-Week-catwalk.html

affected by or deriving from wildly uncontrolled emotion.
"Janet became hysterical and began screaming"
synonyms:   overwrought, emotional, uncontrolled, uncontrollable, out of control, unrestrained, unrestrainable, frenzied, in a frenzy, frantic, wild, feverish;

There are some feminists who are idiots. Ditto campaigners for all just causes. Not much that can be done about it but it's irritating in the extreme to see the actions of a minority get treated as though it is the norm.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 05:53:11 PM by Rhiannon »

Bubbles

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 07:12:59 PM »
Having issued the standard disclaimer that I don't condone violence, I have to say I gave an inward cheer at one of these idiots being lamped by a model :D

:D ditto!

Bubbles

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 07:17:10 PM »
There are some feminists who are idiots. Ditto campaigners for all just causes. Not much that can be done about it but it's irritating in the extreme to see the actions of a minority get treated as though it is the norm.

yes I agree.

:)

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 02:00:39 PM »
I was surprised to see that you tweet, floo.  I don't know why I was surprised, I just didn't imagine it to be your thing.

No I don't do twitter - it's not my thing  :D.  Neither do I use Facebook.  Much prefer discussions like we have on here and used to have on other forums, though forums seem to be fading out of vogue.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

floo

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 03:47:46 PM »
I was surprised to see that you tweet, floo.  I don't know why I was surprised, I just didn't imagine it to be your thing.

No I don't do twitter - it's not my thing  :D.  Neither do I use Facebook.  Much prefer discussions like we have on here and used to have on other forums, though forums seem to be fading out of vogue.

I have tweeted for years! From time to time my tweets are flagged up by celebs who also tweet!