Author Topic: New set of Commandments  (Read 18905 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: New set of Commandments
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 06:08:19 AM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:09:20 AM by Nearly Sane »

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »

I should have also added...

1. Maintain utmost cleanliness and hygiene.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »
Why the heck would you want silly sets of rules instead of letting people get on with their lives using their own brains?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Bubbles

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2016, 10:53:54 AM »
You must be joking! How can you respect people who are evil like Hitler? :o

It's why we have things like courts and fair trials.

I don't respect Hitler, but the laws we have in place respect his right to be heard in the same way as someone else. (So judgments are balanced)

The problem in allowing someone the respect they deserve, is its too subjective and open to interpretation.

Saddem Hussein used chemical weapons on the Kurds, he was giving them the respect he thought they deserved.

Hitler dished out the holocaust to the Jews because he thought that was the respect they deserved.

It's all subjective.

We all have the ability to be prejudiced in some way, even if we are not aware of it.

Having courts in place and putting people on trial is supposed to take out some of the subjectiveness.

Therefore putting Hitler on trial or any of the Nazi war criminals was a way of respecting their humanity and rights.

Allowing people the respect you think they deserve, is to reminiscent of what Hitler, Saddam Hussein and quite a few others have already done.

I'm with Hope on this one.

Unless you want to avoid becoming a Hitler in your own right, making subjective guesses about who deserves what respect, its best avoided.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:57:17 AM by Rose »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2016, 12:12:53 PM »
13. Respect others, their beliefs and way of life.

Why should I respect the beliefs of those who clearly set out to kill other people?

Be it individually or en masse.

This makes no sense.

I do not respect the beliefs of Donald Trump. And no matter what you post I am not going to start.

I might respect their right to hold different beliefs - but that is a different proposition altogether.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Shaker

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2016, 12:15:36 PM »
Wot trent sed.

Respect for the right to hold, drop old, adopt new beliefs - that's a given.

Respect for beliefs that I think are inimical to health, happiness and flourishing of life - cancel my subscription.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2016, 12:22:58 PM »
It depends by what you mean by taking care of, where parents are concerned. My sisters and I ensured our mother had the best of care homes, but no way in a million years would we have wished to care for her ourselves. I, for one, would have murdered her in five minutes, or I would have ended up in the funny farm if she had lived with us! :o

Bubbles

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2016, 01:03:08 PM »
1. Treat others as you would wish to be treated
2. Protect the weak and vunerable.
3. Be honest and fair in your dealings with others. Keep your word.

Most come out of the first one.

Keep it simple is best, I think.

I forgot the bit about looking after the planet which is best expressed by this Native American saying

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.” » Native American Proverb

Which can also be merged in with number 1, because we should treat it as we would like them ( future generations) to find and experience  it.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:08:30 PM by Rose »

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2016, 01:07:40 PM »
It depends by what you mean by taking care of, where parents are concerned. My sisters and I ensured our mother had the best of care homes, but no way in a million years would we have wished to care for her ourselves. I, for one, would have murdered her in five minutes, or I would have ended up in the funny farm if she had lived with us! :o

No wonder you are a bit of a brat even at this age.  :) You never got a chance to change yourself (which is a pity....if you believe in a next birth as I do). You would have to go through similar situations all over again... till you grow.

Also, do your children feel the same way about you...by any chance?

More seriously, you must remember that all these facilities such as Old Age Homes are of very recent origin and even that only in some rich countries. We don't know how long they will last even there.

In earlier times and in most societies even today, its the children who need to personally care for their parents. This is one of the  most important Commandments(even in the ancient Moses one).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:32:18 PM by Sriram »

Leonard James

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2016, 01:08:43 PM »
1. Treat others as you would wish to be treated
2. Protect the weak and vunerable.
3. Be honest and fair in your dealings with others. Keep your word.

Most come out of the first one.

Keep it simple is best, I think.

Jesus got it right with one. Love your neighbour as yourself.

Sadly he put it second to a superstition.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 01:12:20 PM »
Reword number 6 ... which excludes old people who are childless, but still need taking care of in old age.

Otherwise, total agreement from me.

Not bad. You agree with most of what I have written. So...you will appreciate the value of the Ten Commandments written 3000 years ago in a war torn, uneducated, illiterate, emotional, poor, wandering and intolerant society. 

BeRational

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2016, 01:13:50 PM »
Not bad. You agree with most of what I have written. So...you will appreciate the value of the Ten Commandments written 3000 years ago in a war torn, uneducated, illiterate, emotional, poor, wandering and intolerant society.

I prefer the Jim Jefrries 1 command.

Try not to be a c***
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Bubbles

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
No wonder you are a bit of a brat even at this age.  :) You never got a chance to change yourself (which is a pity....if you believe in a next birth as I do). You would have to go through similar situations all over again... till you grow.

Also, do your children feel the same way about you...by any chance?

More seriously, you must remember that all these facilities such as Old Age Homes are of very recent origin and even that only in some rich countries. We don't know how long they will last even there.

In earlier times and in most societies even today, its the children who need to personally care for their parents. This is one of the  most important Commandment (even in the ancient Moses one).

In those days and in some countries they have big families, Sriram.

In the west we only tend to have small families, who often travel away with jobs.

Also our expenses are greater, meaning it is very difficult for one partner to take time off to look after a parent full time.

If you are two married only children it's a bit much to expect someone to be responsible for 4 parents especially if some of them are divorced.

People I know ATM who feel it is their responsibility to care for parents have missed many opportunities also holding back partners job prospects, to live nearby.

Not everyone wants to do that, and not all partners are open to holding themselves back.

Leonard James

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2016, 01:19:04 PM »

All except the silly 'love your god' one.

Most human groups come up with the same basic moral code, which is hardly surprising in a social species.

Bubbles

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »
Jesus got it right with one. Love your neighbour as yourself.

Sadly he put it second to a superstition.

Yes, I like that one.

Most thinkers got brought up in one superstition or another  ;)

Anyway I thought Jesus made that the greatest one, I suspect it's later the rest of it got tagged on.

;)

Leonard James

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2016, 01:22:48 PM »
In those days and in some countries they have big families, Sriram.

In the west we only tend to have small families, who often travel away with jobs.

Also our expenses are greater, meaning it is very difficult for one partner to take time off to look after a parent full time.

If you are two married only children it's a bit much to expect someone to be responsible for 4 parents especially if some of them are divorced.

People I know ATM who feel it is their responsibility to care for parents have missed many opportunities also holding back partners job prospects, to live nearby.

Not everyone wants to do that, and not all partners are open to holding themselves back.

Which is why caring adequately for the old should be financed by the state, and shared among all of us by taxes.

Bubbles

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »
All except the silly 'love your god' one.

Most human groups come up with the same basic moral code, which is hardly surprising in a social species.

It depends on what God means to the individual.

If God encompasses a range of values and behaviours, such as loving your neighbour as yourself, being honest, and protecting the weak and vunerable, then loving noble things isn't so silly really.

It's about loving what's good, IMO.

God can mean = essence of goodness

:)

Leonard James

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2016, 01:30:42 PM »
It depends on what God means to the individual.

If God encompasses a range of values and behaviours, such as loving your neighbour as yourself, being honest, and protecting the weak and vunerable, then loving noble things isn't so silly really.

It's about loving what's good, IMO.

God can mean = essence of goodness

:)

I was referring to the usually accepted meaning of god, the "supernatural" one. That is nothing more than a superstition.

Rhiannon

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »
Loving God should never be a commandment.

Rhiannon

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
Why the heck would you want silly sets of rules instead of letting people get on with their lives using their own brains?

This.

If we really need one at all I'll go with BeRat's.

Bubbles

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2016, 02:11:06 PM »
Loving God should never be a commandment.

Not even if it represents everything that is good honest and honourable?

Bubbles

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »

Because we need rules to protect the weak and vunerable in society, it's why you have laws.

The alternative is anarchy, which is fine for the bullies of this world.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2016, 02:21:29 PM »
1. Never talk about Fight Club

2. Don't get caught

3. Never have a rule 3

4. Never castle through check

5. A player is in an offside position if he is in the opposing team's half of the field and is also nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent. A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is touched or played by a team mate is only committing an offside offence if, in the opinion of the referee, he becomes actively involved in play by: Interfering with play ("playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate"); interfering with an opponent ("preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball") gaining an advantage by being in an offside position ("playing a ball that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent having been in an offside position; or that rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save by an opponent having been in an offside position)

6. Don't let the bastards grind you down.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Rhiannon

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »
Not even if it represents everything that is good honest and honourable?

No.

Rhiannon

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2016, 02:28:45 PM »
Because we need rules to protect the weak and vunerable in society, it's why you have laws.

The alternative is anarchy, which is fine for the bullies of this world.

Who said anything about doing away with laws?