Author Topic: Today  (Read 7777 times)

wigginhall

Re: Today
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 03:29:50 PM »
Yes, in that moment it was aliveness. It's why I head out in the way that I do - it's one of the most important things in my life.

But this is interesting though... what am I but an empty vessel in which these experiences pass? Co-incidentally I got the Zen Commandments by Dean Sluyter off my shelf earlier, - bit of a hit and miss book but he has this gift for putting complex ideas simply and clearly, in my view - and he describes this as unjoining the dots.

'We're not the constellations. We're not the stars. If we're anything, we're the endless sky within which the stars appear to appear.'

So if I am this empty thing - this dead thing, if you like - then my feeling alive is a star passing through. And so my thoughts, emotions, preferences. Stars passing through the empty space of my own nothingness. So that means that I don't need to identify with any of it - I'm not happy or sad, for example - these are mere stars in the sky of this thing I think of as me.

Lovely posts, Rhiannon.  It does sound very Zen, although as soon as you try to summarize that, it slips away.  But there is a lot about emptiness filled with everything, and life being complete, and fulfilled right now.   Also, descriptions being like the menu, you can't eat them, but they're useful.

Great stuff.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Rhiannon

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 04:00:32 PM »
Thanks, Wiggs.     :)

ekim

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »
Yes, in that moment it was aliveness. It's why I head out in the way that I do - it's one of the most important things in my life.

But this is interesting though... what am I but an empty vessel in which these experiences pass? Co-incidentally I got the Zen Commandments by Dean Sluyter off my shelf earlier, - bit of a hit and miss book but he has this gift for putting complex ideas simply and clearly, in my view - and he describes this as unjoining the dots.

'We're not the constellations. We're not the stars. If we're anything, we're the endless sky within which the stars appear to appear.'

So if I am this empty thing - this dead thing, if you like - then my feeling alive is a star passing through. And so my thoughts, emotions, preferences. Stars passing through the empty space of my own nothingness. So that means that I don't need to identify with any of it - I'm not happy or sad, for example - these are mere stars in the sky of this thing I think of as me.
The nature of Tao is like infinite space
From whose boundless depths everything arises.
Though forever flowing, it never overflows;
The rough edges, it smooths,
Complexity, it simplifies,
It softens glare and unifies the particular.
An eternal deep of unknown origin,
The source of the Divine perhaps.
Tao Te Ching

Jack Knave

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 07:13:12 PM »
I was very alive to my senses. What I did die to in that moment though was that there was anything more than the sensory experience. That there was any hope of a god, basically. But that was a good thing.
The way I'm reading this, based on my own experience, is that this aliveness to the senses is something going on 'inside' not that the physical senses are all a tingle, as being stimulated from the external environment (though so form of higher connection does transpire to it). If I recall correctly you said or implied that the apex of this occurred when you closed your eyes.....?

Rhiannon

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 07:28:11 PM »
The way I'm reading this, based on my own experience, is that this aliveness to the senses is something going on 'inside' not that the physical senses are all a tingle, as being stimulated from the external environment (though so form of higher connection does transpire to it). If I recall correctly you said or implied that the apex of this occurred when you closed your eyes.....?

Can you tell where the outer experience of the senses ends and the inner begins? Because I can't.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »
I'm no wigginhall but I feel the insistence from some of the specific individuality of a soul or a pespective is a line to a belief in specialness. I accept that I cannot cross the hard salt barrier of solipsism but neither can the solus be assumed without the leap across. The self is our cross and our bonus ball.
I think it would only be a line to a belief in specialness if, at the same time, it only related to groups of people or individuals. 
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Jack Knave

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 08:17:54 PM »
Can you tell where the outer experience of the senses ends and the inner begins? Because I can't.
Interesting.

The only way I can explain that is to say it is like a dream but one where you are awake. Its an inner world that is related to the outer, not in the usual sense but something different. From what you have said on this forum you have it but possibly you are not fully aware of its act(s) to perceive and differentiate the aspects of it.

torridon

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 10:22:58 AM »
I loved this radio piece and thought it consistent with the defacto character of this thread, hence :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b071lfkd

A gentle and poetic reflection on forests by Danish broadcaster Rikke Hood.  Suitable for quiet reflective moments, but it will be removed by the BBC very imminently.

Rhiannon

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »
Thanks, Torridon. A beautiful way to spend half an hour.