Author Topic: 'Mother Tongue' odd words  (Read 12262 times)

floo

Re: 'Mother Tongue' odd words
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2016, 04:13:17 PM »
My (Aussie) wife really struggles with her accent.  She often gets told how strong her accent is by new chiropody clients, only to then be told that that accent has completely disappeared by Australians she meets or speaks with by phone.  I can't really hear any Aussie accent in her voice - the only indication for me is that she sometimes uses Aussie phraseology.

Did you meet your wife in the UK or OZ?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2016, 04:14:10 PM »
Did you meet your wife in the UK or OZ?
Neither - I met her when we both worked at an international school in S. India!!
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

floo

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2016, 04:19:58 PM »
Neither - I met her when we both worked at an international school in S. India!!

Riiiiiiight! :)

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2016, 05:20:16 PM »
Some of us have led very exciting lives!  I always fancied India when I was younger, now going to Whitstable is a big event for me.

The best way to know how we sound is to record our own telephone answering message and play it back.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Leonard James

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2016, 07:59:54 PM »

The best way to know how we sound is to record our own telephone answering message and play it back.

I first heard myself speaking when tape recorders became available, and it sent me scuttling to elocution classes.  :)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2016, 10:31:21 PM »
Some of us have led very exciting lives!  I always fancied India when I was younger, now going to Whitstable is a big event for me.
Since our time in India (Kay 1981-4; myself 1982-4), we have lived in Wales for 8 years (1984-1992), Nepal for about 7.5 with our two daughters in attendance with us (1992-2000) and then Wales for another 17 years (2000-date).
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

ippy

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2016, 07:03:21 PM »
The only times I'd disagree is when one of them gets physically violent rather laughing the insult off.

That's the thing the Ozies and Scots know the score and hand it back ysually with interest, insults, not open warfare, I sometimes wonder about you Hope.

It seems to me that you are unable to understand even the simplest of things about anything unless it's written out in torturous detail, without a misplaced comma or full stop? You can' t be that thick very few people are that bad.

ippy

Leonard James

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2016, 07:06:14 PM »
That's the thing the Ozies and Scots know the score and hand it back ysually with interest, insults, not open warfare, I sometimes wonder about you Hope.

It seems to me that you are unable to understand even the simplest of things about anything unless it's written out in torturous detail, without a misplaced comma or full stop? You can' t be that thick very few people are that bad.

ippy

It's quite obvious to everybody that Hope, along with Sassy and a few others, resort to pretended thickness when they have no sensible answers.

Shaker

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2016, 07:07:37 PM »
You're a better man than I'll ever be, youngster; you used the word 'pretended.'
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Leonard James

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2016, 07:11:19 PM »
You're a better man than I'll ever be, youngster; you used the word 'pretended.'

Well, I'm with Ippy on this one ... nobody on this forum could really be that thick.

Shaker

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2016, 07:15:49 PM »
Well, I'm with Ippy on this one ... nobody on this forum could really be that thick.
As I said ...
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Leonard James

« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2016, 07:21:27 PM »
As I said ...

You really are a cynical old sod at times, Steve!  :)