Author Topic: The downward trend continues  (Read 33485 times)

Khatru

Re: The downward trend continues
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2016, 11:25:55 AM »
Yes, 'do you have a penis beaker?' That one even made it here.

8)

Perhaps it's time to reserect that thread.

Sorry.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2016, 11:27:20 AM »
I didn't know mums had willies!  You live and learn.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Leonard James

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »
I remember a poem my father used to recite to my young sister which ran :-

Little Willie Winkie runs through the town,
Upstairs and downstairs in his nightgown.
Looking in the window and shouting through the lock.
"Are the children all in bed? It's past 8 0'clock!"

Khatru

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2016, 11:39:44 AM »

Without googling it, I cn't remember the poet's name.

I have, however, seen his grave.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2016, 12:30:52 PM »
The problem - again as I've said several times before - is that rational methodology isn't necessarily the sole means of arbiting reality.  I realise that you, and others here and elsewhere, want to believe that it is but I have yet to see any argument, rational or otherwise, that provides evidence that is the case (and I've been asking people for 30 or 40 years for such a answer).

Hope,

I came out of hiding on this board and started a thread to discuss this very issue.

Still waiting for an answer.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »
Hope,

I came out of hiding on this board and started a thread to discuss this very issue.

Still waiting for an answer.
I can wait for an answer to a question - for instance "what is the global relevance of the drachma" for ever without necessarily getting one.  That doesn't necessarily mean that no-one wants to offer an answer; it could simply be that that questioner is asking the wrong question, or that they have asked a question on the assumption that there is only a single answer, whilst there may be several.

As I have pointed out before, there are those here who would have us believe that rational methodology and scientific naturalism are the sole means of arbitrating reality - yet have signally failed to provide any evidence to this effect - because the parameters necessarily limit their thinking to the above.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Shaker

« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
As I have pointed out before, there are those here who would have us believe that rational methodology and scientific naturalism are the sole means of arbitrating reality - yet have signally failed to provide any evidence to this effect - because the parameters necessarily limit their thinking to the above.
You're the one making the assertion and thus the one who bears the burden of proof. Those who are aware of the success of scientific rationality are the ones who can provide a methodology for their worldview - we have more than amply justified (because so often reinforced) confidence in it (there's the evidence you mentioned) and have not been furnished with any good reason to go elsewhere. That to me is what it boils down to - the lack of a valid justification to think that your claims have any basis and the lack of any good reason to think that there's an alternative methodology.

You're the one claiming that there are other realms of reality and other methods of evaluating them over and above the rational/scientific ones we already know work so well, and that's why you're being asked the questions about these allegations and asked to supply evidence for them.

You know, the questions which you're still dodging even now. You've been asked them so many times by so many people over such a long period of time that by now it's a perfectly reasonable position to conclude that the reason you continually avoid stumping up a single item of evidence for these assertions is that it simply doesn't exist. True scepticism demands that I allow for the possibility of these different realms and alternative methodologies, but rationality doesn't allow for me to accept them merely on the say-so of somebody who alleges them but continually ducks coughing up with the evidence for them. All sorts of things may be merely possible; the point in wanting accurate and reliable knowledge of the world is to have a means of sifting the possibilities and determining what's true and what isn't, or what's not demonstrably so at the very least. My methodology in that regard is done and dusted; where's yours?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 03:49:45 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

ippy

« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »
  8)

Perhaps it's time to reserect that thread.

Sorry.

Is that anything to do with the chap that got engaged to a contortionist, she broke it off?

ippy

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2016, 02:48:19 PM »
I can wait for an answer to a question - for instance "what is the global relevance of the drachma" for ever without necessarily getting one.  That doesn't necessarily mean that no-one wants to offer an answer; it could simply be that that questioner is asking the wrong question, or that they have asked a question on the assumption that there is only a single answer, whilst there may be several.

Be careful not to misrepresent me here.

• You have made an assertion that there are other ways of arbitrating reality.

I have not claimed that there are definitely no other ways. It is simply that I am not aware of them.

I am asking you to explain what they are.

It really is very simple

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2016, 03:11:17 PM »

It's ''Wee Willie Winkie'', Len, and is a 19thC Scottish nursery rhyme by William Miller.

Leonard James

« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2016, 05:54:31 PM »
It's ''Wee Willie Winkie'', Len, and is a 19thC Scottish nursery rhyme by William Miller.

Ah, thank you. Obviously my Dad's was the English version of the Scottish 'wee'. I like the alliteration 'Wee Willie Winkie' more.  :)

Sassy

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2016, 12:54:03 PM »
Hi there Sass, I wondered what's the first thing that crosses your mind when you're walking down a high street anywhere and you see one of those old guys walking up and down wearing one of those  "A"  boards with the overhead one up as well, covered in slogans like, " the end of the world is neigh", and handing out dog eared leaflets about agamemnon.

Do you go out wearing an "A" board from time to time Sass?

ippy

I have no idea why people wear sign boards stating the end of the world is near/nigh. Maybe the person wearing the board you say stating. "The end of the world is neigh" Was horsing around and had neigh idea he had spelled it wrong.. ;D
It the dog eared leaflets anything like the sows ear purse?

Anyhow no believer here would throw pearls before the swine.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sassy

« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2016, 01:01:50 PM »
I didn't know mums had willies!  You live and learn.

Of course they do... their husbands are on the other end of them... ;D
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »
O I C (forgotten about that).

ippy

« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2016, 04:22:58 PM »
I have no idea why people wear sign boards stating the end of the world is near/nigh. Maybe the person wearing the board you say stating. "The end of the world is neigh" Was horsing around and had neigh idea he had spelled it wrong.. ;D
It the dog eared leaflets anything like the sows ear purse?

Anyhow no believer here would throw pearls before the swine.

Of course Susan, I bung in a howler from time to time on purpose, I can assure you that won't be the last one, I just wish it was.

My wife thinks it's a mild form of dexlicer, it can't bit.

Before Google if I only knew the first letter of a word for certain, had to get the dictionary, a piece of card and say the word began with d, start with the beginning of d, card and keep going through until I came to the word I'm looking for good job I'm a fast reader.

I can't explain it, when I was a youngster I can't remember learning to read for me it's as though I have always been able to read and in fact in my early days with school friends I was the one that could pan the steam engines as they sped their way past and found it easy to read the names and numbers before any of the others were able to do so, couldn't spell very well then and it hasn't got any better.

I've learned to live with it because I'm now nearly 74 and there is no way it's going to get any better now.

ippy

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2016, 04:32:52 PM »
Nowadays you would be diagnosed as dyslexic, probably.   Dyslexics are 'word blind';  they see, and write, some letters back to front, such as p, b, d.  Dyslexia is a condition only affecting people with an above average IQ.  They learn how to adjust their odd word formation and generally do very well.  Richard Branson is one.  To avoid making a list of well known dyslexics, there is a link below which does just that.  In days gone dyslexics were often written off as 'thick', which is shameful.

The word is used liberally now, maybe too much so because dyslexia is a specific condition.  Not an illness.

http://www.dyslexia.com/famous.htm

Leonard James

« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2016, 07:04:04 PM »
Of course they do... their husbands are on the other end of them... ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Very astute. Sassy!

ippy

« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »
Nowadays you would be diagnosed as dyslexic, probably.   Dyslexics are 'word blind';  they see, and write, some letters back to front, such as p, b, d.  Dyslexia is a condition only affecting people with an above average IQ.  They learn how to adjust their odd word formation and generally do very well.  Richard Branson is one.  To avoid making a list of well known dyslexics, there is a link below which does just that.  In days gone dyslexics were often written off as 'thick', which is shameful.

The word is used liberally now, maybe too much so because dyslexia is a specific condition.  Not an illness.

http://www.dyslexia.com/famous.htm

I like the highly intelligent bit, could you send that coment to my wife only for some reason I don't think she would believe me if I were to tell her, anyway I'm so intelligent that I know it may well not be in my best interests to tell her myself.

ippy

SusanDoris

« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »
Ippy

DolphinUK advertise SuperNova not only as an excellent means of accessibility for the blind and partially-sighted, but also for dyslexia-type problems. Now, I've no idea how this works, but it might be worth investigating; not with an idea to obtain it, as you obviously manage your spelling problem very efficiently, butt as a guide to how you might be able to make things easier for yourself?
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2016, 07:11:04 PM »
Rhiannon, I now have the book, "Small Boat Big Sea'' by Peter Owen Jones and am about to start it.  I've read the preface and am already hooked.  Thanks for recommendation.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2016, 07:17:32 PM »
Ah, thank you. Obviously my Dad's was the English version of the Scottish 'wee'. I like the alliteration 'Wee Willie Winkie' more.  :)
The English version of wee willy Winkie ?

The Diminutive William Winkston Smythe Esq?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:31:01 PM by Diversity in refuse collecting. »

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2016, 07:49:49 PM »
French version: Petit Guillaume clin d'œil-e

Shaker

« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2016, 07:53:54 PM »
Rhiannon, I now have the book, "Small Boat Big Sea'' by Peter Owen Jones and am about to start it.  I've read the preface and am already hooked.  Thanks for recommendation.

If you like POJ as much as I do, I would recommend Letters from an Extreme Pilgrim. The TV series was superb its own right but you don't need to have seen it to enjoy the book, as the two things are so vastly, so entirely different.

Anybody who can write an open letter to God, his mum, a girl he saw for a few seconds once many years ago and Osama Bin Laden (still alive at the time) is all right by me.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:16:56 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2016, 08:14:15 PM »
Thanks, I will probably read that if I like Small Boat Big Sea, which I think I will.

ippy

« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
Ippy

DolphinUK advertise SuperNova not only as an excellent means of accessibility for the blind and partially-sighted, but also for dyslexia-type problems. Now, I've no idea how this works, but it might be worth investigating; not with an idea to obtain it, as you obviously manage your spelling problem very efficiently, butt as a guide to how you might be able to make things easier for yourself?

Thanks for the info Susan, I will take a look into that, you may well be right but there's nothing easy about spelling for me, I have limited sucess with parrot fashion but even that's not bullet proof for me, I have learned to live with writing the odd howler from time to time.

There is one thing I have gained from this inabilty of mine and that's where I read whatever people write and take in whatever it is they are saying however they say it as long as I can understand them, other than legal documents, I couldn't give a moneys about the rest.

Regards ippy

PS all of this post written out on my tablet without spell checker.