Author Topic: Richard Beake  (Read 2708 times)

Khatru

Richard Beake
« on: March 06, 2016, 10:51:06 AM »
I'd happily buy him a drink or two....

6 December, 1 Charles I.—Memorandum of the presentment for recusancy and of the insolence of one Richard Beake of Kentishtowne who (on being duly and lawfully summoned by John Corey, one of the bailiffs of the Sheriff of Middlesex, to appeare at this session at Hickes Hall) answered to the same John Corey "that he cared not a f . . . . for the Justices, and that he had not been at church for tenn yeares, nor wold goe to churche for all the Justices could doe, adding further, Lett the Justices kisse his A . . . ."

S. P. Reg.

From the Middlesex Rolls (1625)

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/middx-county-records/vol3/pp1-6
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Richard Beake
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 10:54:08 AM »

You'll have to hurry....he's been dead these past four hundred years.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »

6 December, 1 Charles I.—Memorandum of the presentment for recusancy and of the insolence of one Richard Beake of Kentishtowne who (on being duly and lawfully summoned by John Corey, one of the bailiffs of the Sheriff of Middlesex, to appeare at this session at Hickes Hall) answered to the same John Corey "that he cared not a f . . . . for the Justices, and that he had not been at church for tenn yeares, nor wold goe to churche for all the Justices could doe, adding further, Lett the Justices kisse his A . . . ."

S. P. Reg.

Ah, Khatru taking solace from an ancient document. That's something we antitheists never do.

Shaker

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »
I like the sound of this chap.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 11:32:59 AM »
I like the sound of this chap.
You can definitely say he wasn't up against the Beak, but more like the judge was up against the Beake.

Shaker

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 11:34:08 AM »
Ah, Khatru taking solace from an ancient document. That's something we antitheists never do.
"We"? Come over to the dark side, Vlad?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 11:43:52 AM »
"We"? Come over to the dark side, Vlad?
No merely pointing out the humbuggery of the antitheist position which knocks identification with old documents in the case of religion but identifies with it's own old documents.

Wearing my amateur (gifted) psychologists hat, you identify with Beake as you live in a fantasy world wear Plucky English Antitheists are being harassed by an Oppressive theocratic dictatorship forcing you to attend church.

Shaker

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 11:46:19 AM »
No merely pointing out the humbuggery of the antitheist position which knocks identification with old documents in the case of religion but identifies with it's own old documents.
It's a court record, Vlad, not something purporting to be revealed truth from God.

Wearing my amateur (gifted) psychologists hat, you identify with Beake as you live in a fantasy world wear Plucky English Antitheists are being harassed by an Oppressive theocratic dictatorship forcing you to attend church.
Very amateur indeed by the look of it, as that doesn't happen any more. It did once, though - the 1558 Act of Uniformity.

Bubbles

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »
Interesting OP.

I like the link there is even a diary in there from the 1600s

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/roger-whitley-diary/1684-97

I'm surprised at how much wine he drank.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
It's a court record, Vlad, not something purporting to be revealed truth from God.
Very amateur indeed by the look of it, as that doesn't happen any more. It did once, though - the 1558 Act of Uniformity.
I'll remember that when you bleat about Bishops in the House of Lords.

Shaker

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
I love old diaries so that was a real find. I'll enjoy having a read of that later. This was around the time when Puritanism made diary-keeping a popular practice in Britain.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:54:55 AM by Shaker »

Shaker

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 11:50:48 AM »
I'll remember that when you bleat about Bishops in the House of Lords.
Remember what?

Bubbles

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 05:38:27 PM »

S. P. Reg.

Items like this, which suggest that there has never been 100% church attendance, could be seen to highlight the argument that attendance figures are moot figures.  What we don't know is whether he was a believer or not?  Was he a non-conformist who refused to attend church and attended some other form of service (for instance a chapel) instead?  Was he an atheist?  Was he a pagan?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 03:42:05 PM »

S. P. Reg.

In those days Kentish Town was in the County of Middlesex, before London had started its poisonous growth.

(Look if Ippy can do it, so can I  :P)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:44:13 PM by Humph Warden Bennett »

Khatru

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 09:25:42 AM »

Fantasy world?

That's rich coming from someone who sees the supreme cosmic mega being in old documents.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker