Author Topic: Feelosofee is a bit pants  (Read 4215 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Feelosofee is a bit pants
« on: March 06, 2016, 02:02:58 PM »

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Feelosofee is a bit pants
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 02:42:59 PM »
I love science,  but I do find this article chimes.

http://qz.com/627989/why-are-so-many-smart-people-such-idiots-about-philosophy/
Scientism you see....I remember an antitheistic antagonist on the old AOL spirituality board saying science will answer all the questions that are worth asking.

wigginhall

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 03:24:12 PM »
I love science,  but I do find this article chimes.

http://qz.com/627989/why-are-so-many-smart-people-such-idiots-about-philosophy/

A lot of it seems to be ignorance and confusion.   I recall Hawkins declaring that philosophy is dead, and then going on to describe a theory of reality, which looks remarkably philosophical to me, in his book 'The Grand Design'.   It's a bit like a creationist declaring that evolution is just a theory. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Shaker

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 03:32:59 PM »
Unfortunately there's a long history of scientists being, to say the least, dismissive of philosophy (Feynman's: "Scientists are explorers. Philosophers are tourists") because it doesn't progress cumulatively and doesn't yield hard facts and figures. Of course, science is impossible to do without some philosophical footings of some sort.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 08:21:18 PM »
I'll tell you why some scientists have contempt for (other) philosophers: it's because talking about the World without testing your ideas on it, is just talking.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Leonard James

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 08:23:16 PM »
I'll tell you why some scientists have contempt for (other) philosophers: it's because talking about the World without testing your ideas on it, is just talking.

That should go on the memorable quotes thread!

Shaker

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 08:25:45 PM »
Yes, can't argue with that.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 08:27:44 PM »
It's like Dr Johnson lives!

Indeed it is just talking but then it's just talking about morality, and love, and purpose.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:36:28 PM by Nearly Sane »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 09:02:48 PM »
I think you'll find that ideas are indispensable for that sentiment.

Shaker

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 09:44:24 PM »
It's like Dr Johnson lives!

Indeed it is just talking but then it's just talking about morality, and love, and purpose.
I don't disagree. But then, nothing there actually rebuts much less refutes anything that JeremyP said.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 09:57:15 PM »
I don't disagree. But then, nothing there actually rebuts much less refutes anything that JeremyP said.

Not trying to do either, just pointing out that just talking is the important part.

Shaker

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 10:05:03 PM »
Not trying to do either, just pointing out that just talking is the important part.
Ah, well now, there you go, you see - the philosophers will agree with you; the scientists won't.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 10:08:14 PM »
Ah, well now, there you go, you see - the philosophers will agree with you; the scientists won't.

Except there are no such simplistic divisions. It's like Sriram talking as if no scientists can be religious, or Sass talking about 'the scientist' as if there is only one. If we don't talk about ought all the is's in the world will tell us naught of what to do.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 10:51:05 PM »
Science = "Natural philosphy"
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Shaker

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 11:24:45 PM »
Science = "Natural philosphy"
That's what science as we understand it used to be called until a couple of centuries ago or thereabouts, until somebody remembered the Latin verb scire, 'to know' and cottoned on to the fact that while there's such a thing as a scientific methodology, the application of that methodology leads to a body of knowledge - the growing heap of stuff we can reliably and accurately know about the world - which you can't say of philosophy.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 06:37:37 AM »
That's what science as we understand it used to be called until a couple of centuries ago or thereabouts, until somebody remembered the Latin verb scire, 'to know' and cottoned on to the fact that while there's such a thing as a scientific methodology, the application of that methodology leads to a body of knowledge - the growing heap of stuff we can reliably and accurately know about the world - which you can't say of philosophy.
I am glad we have established that science is a domain on its own the .....three cheers for Gould.

Accuracy and reliability are to do with measurement and observation of matter energy.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 02:13:15 PM »

Accuracy and reliability are to do with measurement and observation of matter energy.

...then claims from anyone about subjects out-with those areas can be considered neither accurate or reliable!

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 05:58:14 PM »
...then claims from anyone about subjects out-with those areas can be considered neither accurate or reliable!
The thing about science is that it's meanings are specific and often different to those of the same word as used in a different discipline.

Shakers original statement is not as significant as he means it to be.