Author Topic: No Room at the Forum?  (Read 1357 times)

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
No Room at the Forum?
« on: March 08, 2016, 09:28:09 AM »
Well, it's a long, long time since I've posted here. I thought my old identity long lost, so, when I had a mind to join in again, I thought "no problem, I'll just register again". It seems now one has to wait for an admin to approve you, so I waited... and waited... and waited, tried again and waited some more. Admin users logged on, posted and logged off but none, it appears, wanted to look at waiting new users. Unless, that is, I'm banned based on... err, my IP address...?

In the meantime, much rummaging amongst old files finally uncovered my old ID, so here I am - but are you not welcoming new users anymore?

I've now completely fogotten what I wanted to say...    :(

x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Khatru

Re: No Room at the Forum?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 09:32:14 AM »
Welcome, Wanderer!

Oh well, are you the type of guy who will never settle down........? 
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Gonnagle

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »
Dear Wanderer,

Welcome back, I think your logging on problems may be down to one of our Mods, if you are not into Motorcycles, Jazz, Banjo's or sporting the latest craze in beards then he/she :P does not want to know ;) ;)

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Rhiannon

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 09:49:54 AM »
I'll have you know my beard is timeless, Gonners.

Welcome back, wanderer, good to see you. I'm so sorry you've been having problems. It's almost certainly an IP address issue - we get inundated with spammers so each IP address is checked before approval; I know first hand that it's possible to end up on a blacklist quite innocently but so far we haven't figured out another way of managing this.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:01:47 AM »
There are a some possibilities here.

There may have been an IP problem, and there have been a couple of these recently, and another is if you tried to register using a new account but with the same e-mail address as before, since the forum software prevents this.

Another possibility is my error. On an average day we get between 70 - 90 registration applications from Spammers which need to be checked: some are very obvious, and some less so, so it is possible that I have inadvertently rejected your application - if you let me known the name you tried to re-register with I'll check the logs.

Glad you got here in the end. 

Shaker

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 10:12:44 AM »
Nice to see another (hopefully active) member - the forum badly needs them!
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 10:35:18 AM »
Thanks to all for the welcome.

I guess it doesn't matter much now but Gordon, I'll PM you with the details in case it helps in future...

x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 10:56:32 AM »
Just to note that this was my oversight: I inadvertently rejected your new registration as part of a batch of 37, where all the rest were spammers.

So, my apologies for that.

floo

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 11:21:11 AM »
I find it strange so few people have joined the forum in the last few years. I wonder if there is a problem with trying to register?

Shaker

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 12:39:04 PM »
I find it strange so few people have joined the forum in the last few years. I wonder if there is a problem with trying to register?
There are certain issues as we already know but those are fixable.

I think the more urgent issue is that the forum just isn't getting its name around - it seems to be known predominantly amongst people who used to post on the old BBC boards and that's about it.

If I knew of a way to advertise R & E more and spread the name around I'd have suggested it already. Very large forums with a large and active membership have their own problems but it would be nice to have some fresh blood and new voices. (Not that I'm complaining about the old ones).
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 12:39:53 PM »

Essentially the issue is as Gordon has outlined there are so many spammers that some genuine people might miss out. Iirc Andy had real issues trying to reregister because of the number of spammers.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 12:44:36 PM »
I think the more urgent issue is that the forum just isn't getting its name around - it seems to be known predominantly amongst people who used to post on the old BBC boards and that's about it.
Do folk who use social media refer to the forum ever?  Might that help?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Shaker

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 12:58:19 PM »
Do folk who use social media refer to the forum ever?  Might that help?
It might, but since I don't I'm out of the frame for that one.

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 06:09:12 PM »
Greetings Mr Wanderer.... (I see you have wandered back to zee forum :D)

What happened to your avatar? Beware, the gremlins on here can play tricks...

I entirely concur with your signature, though.... ;)
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7