Author Topic: What's going on  (Read 2272 times)

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
What's going on
« on: March 08, 2016, 11:05:28 AM »
I've suddenly developed a very peculiar problem on my home computer. Whenever I try to access this site I get the message:

"This site can't be reached"

I thought at first that there must be a problem with the server that was hosting the website, then I realized that I could get access on my mobile and from a laptop in Wetherspoons. I also discovered that I can get access using a Tor Browser. It looks to me as if something in the system is deliberately blocking my home IP address.

The problem initially arose immediately after I had posted some non-complimentary remarks about Mr Farage and his troop of Clowns.

Did this event cause my problems Jakswan?
Brexit Bar:

Full of nuts but with lots of flakey bits and a bitter aftertaste

floo

Re: What's going on
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »
I think many of us get similar messages from time to time when trying log on to R&E.

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:36:10 AM »
I still can't get access via 'normal' channels - I remain suspicious.
Brexit Bar:

floo

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 11:39:16 AM »
I can't stand Farage and his nasty party, and have made my feeling quite clear on this forums and others, I am still here!

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:46:08 AM »
Something is definitely blocking my access to the site. I can post now only because I am using the Tor Browser (which was developed to allow unrestricted access to non-approved sites in totalitarian states)
Brexit Bar:

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 12:12:18 PM »
Moderator:

I've just checked the Error Log for this morning and there are an high number of errors today, and one I haven't seen before, showing against a number of members who have been active today - this includes me although I've had no issues.

I'll ask Jakswan to take a look.

torridon

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 12:24:13 PM »
I've suddenly developed a very peculiar problem on my home computer. Whenever I try to access this site I get the message:

"This site can't be reached"

I thought at first that there must be a problem with the server that was hosting the website, then I realized that I could get access on my mobile and from a laptop in Wetherspoons. I also discovered that I can get access using a Tor Browser. It looks to me as if something in the system is deliberately blocking my home IP address.

The problem initially arose immediately after I had posted some non-complimentary remarks about Mr Farage and his troop of Clowns.

Did this event cause my problems Jakswan?

I too had just the same problem for a whole month during January, see :

http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?topic=11469.0

Also Blue reported the same happening a few days ago.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »
Yup - twice now I've had "access denied" messages for two weeks or so. No idea why, but frustrating because people might think I'm ignoring their questions and comments. Every device I used at home was blocked (including 'phone) but 'phone access worked away from home using the "Mobile Data" setting.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Rhiannon

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
It's happened to me too. Not for as long as blue, but a few days.

One thing I do know is that Jak doesn't hold with any kind of censorship.

torridon

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »
If L.A. is getting blocked out too, that blows away my theory that God is constructing a firewall or filter to keep the atheists out.

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 12:34:02 PM »
The Tor Browser seems to get through:

https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en

But then, it was developed to prevent nasty repressive regimes from totally controlling the internet - that's what I find worrying.
Brexit Bar:

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 12:35:55 PM »
I get what appear to be random issues when using my mobile on my mobile 's network, but never from other wifi.

Never consistent enough to worry about it

torridon

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 12:43:15 PM »
The Tor Browser seems to get through:

https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en

But then, it was developed to prevent nasty repressive regimes from totally controlling the internet - that's what I find worrying.

With me it wasn't a browser issue, I eliminated that possibility. I could see running with developer tools console window the RE server was failing to respond to any HTTP GET or socket request irrespective of client side requestor.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 12:52:26 PM by torridon »

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 12:46:08 PM »
It's happened to me too. Not for as long as blue, but a few days.

One thing I do know is that Jak doesn't hold with any kind of censorship.
I very much hope you are right Rhiannon, but there is definitely something strange going on.
Brexit Bar:

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 12:50:42 PM »
I very much hope you are right Rhiannon, but there is definitely something strange going on.

Are you honestly going down the route that there is some form of conspiracy, and an enormously bad one if it allows you sign on from Weatherspoons?

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 12:51:42 PM »
With me it wasn't a browser issue, I eliminated that possibility. I could see running with develop tools console window the RE server was failing to respond to any HTTP GET or socket request irrespective of client side requestor.

The Tor browser does some clever stuff so that your ISP won't see the website that you are accessing but also, that website won't see your true IP address. You would expect that to get-round any blocking where-ever it was occurring, and sure enough, it seems to work.
Brexit Bar:

Rhiannon

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 12:52:44 PM »

I know I'm right, LA, having had direct discussion with Jak on the subject.

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 12:56:49 PM »

Are you honestly going down the route that there is some form of conspiracy, and an enormously bad one if it allows you sign on from Weatherspoons?

Some mechanism somewhere, by design or fault is causing blocking. It seems to me that this could be my ISP or something to do with this site.

There are many possibilities.
Brexit Bar:

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 01:08:43 PM »
Some mechanism somewhere, by design or fault is causing blocking. It seems to me that this could be my ISP or something to do with this site.

There are many possibilities.

And I was asking if you seriously thought it was by design?

Enki

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 01:32:04 PM »
Just to say that for about a year now I have had intermittent access to R&E. Usually for about 3 hours on any given day it won't allow me access. The rest of t'internet works normally. Because I don't visit it continually, I can go for several days sometimes without noticing a problem, but sure enough, if I regularly access this site on any particular day, the same problem re-appears. Incidentally this fault does not seem to be time connected in any way. For instance, while I am typing this, it is quite possible that I might lose connection to this site. Let's hope not. :)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »
And I was asking if you seriously thought it was by design?
If I had known the answer to that I wouldn't have wasted my time posting.

I think it is possible that some kind of filter somewhere on the net is mistakenly blocking this site (presumably mistaking it for something subversive) but it is a very strange pattern. The fact the site always block from my home (without Tor) suggests that the problem might be my ISP (EE) but it could also be something specifically blocking my IP address (as Tor does randomize my apparent IP address)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:53:00 PM by L.A. »
Brexit Bar: