Author Topic: Top gear and The Cenotaph  (Read 3359 times)

john

Top gear and The Cenotaph
« on: March 14, 2016, 03:23:45 PM »
What do we think of this Top Gear stunt?

Personally I cant stand the programme anyway but this seems remarkably tasteless even by the usual standards.

Also it seems to me that the noise, disruption, etc. might constitute some sort of criminal offence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35800874
"Try again. Fail again. Fail Better". Samuel Beckett

floo

Re: Top gear and The Cenotaph
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
I dislike the programme too. The person who devised that crass stunt should be sacked, imo.

wigginhall

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 03:28:31 PM »
Useful publicity stunt. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

john

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »
You might be right Wiggy

Evans trying to prove he can be as big a prat as Clarkson was.

Bubbles

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 03:32:43 PM »
I haven't watched it, I miss the other three presenters.

:(

floo

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 03:35:10 PM »
You might be right Wiggy

Evans trying to prove he can be as big a prat as Clarkson was.

Clarkson is a very unpleasant piece of work! >:(

Even though the show is not going to use the film footage, it has been all over the media and so has been seen by millions! :o

john

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »
Rose

My OP has a link to a film of the stunt.

Bubbles

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 03:54:17 PM »
Rose

My OP has a link to a film of the stunt.

I don't see it, only someone saying how disrespectful it was.

???

floo

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 04:03:17 PM »
I don't see it, only someone saying how disrespectful it was.

???

The car created lot of smoke whilst doing its stunt in front of the Cenotaph. It seemed very disrespectful to create smoke for fun, when many of the people the Cenotaph is commemorating experienced deadly smoke, gore and then death!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 04:05:39 PM »
I haven't watched it, I miss the other three presenters.

:(
No-one has yet, Rose.  The series doesn't start for another few weeks.  I'll miss the Hamster and May, but certainly won't miss the Naffson.  I can see where the ex-serviceman is coming from, but also wonder whether he's perhaps overstating the case.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

floo

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 04:25:37 PM »
No-one has yet, Rose.  The series doesn't start for another few weeks.  I'll miss the Hamster and May, but certainly won't miss the Naffson.  I can see where the ex-serviceman is coming from, but also wonder whether he's perhaps overstating the case.

The stunt was shown on the lunchtime news.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 04:32:49 PM »
The stunt was shown on the lunchtime news.
In its totality, or just a snatch of it?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »
What do we think of this Top Gear stunt?

Personally I cant stand the programme anyway but this seems remarkably tasteless even by the usual standards.

Also it seems to me that the noise, disruption, etc. might constitute some sort of criminal offence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35800874
The film shown is misleading. It was done with an extremely long focal length lens which compresses perspective. The stunt was much further away from the Cenotaph than it appears and was within agreed (with Westminster Council) limits.

Honestly (well, cynically) I think  this is a publicity stunt by the production team to try to persuade us that the bad boy image of Top Gear is still there.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 06:26:30 PM »
I dislike the programme too. The person who devised that crass stunt should be sacked, imo.
It would be much simpler if we just assumed you dislike everything unless you say you like it. It'll save you a lot of posting time.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 06:30:17 PM »
The film shown is misleading. It was done with an extremely long focal length lens which compresses perspective. The stunt was much further away from the Cenotaph than it appears and was within agreed (with Westminster Council) limits.

Honestly (well, cynically) I think  this is a publicity stunt by the production team to try to persuade us that the bad boy image of Top Gear is still there.

Fully agree.

IMO -BBC saying these are bad boys but we can control them.

Stinks

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 09:32:17 PM »
The stunt was outside 100 Parliament Street, which has offices for the Treasury and HMRC (unless I've got my angles wrong, in which case it would be by the entrance to Downing St, but google maps and streetview both seem to me to show its 100PS).

I suspect this was going to be some sort of tax on cars/ petrol thing, but we may never know now...
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 04:59:08 AM »
Yes, I agree with the above and with Stephen and Jeremy.  Not so close to the cenotaph after all, a big fuss about nothing.  What has made it worse is that buffoon, Chris Evans, saying the show must not be shown now.  Ridiculous.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Bubbles

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 07:37:39 AM »

Yes, I think that is what it is.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 07:57:41 AM »
The stunt was outside 100 Parliament Street, which has offices for the Treasury and HMRC (unless I've got my angles wrong, in which case it would be by the entrance to Downing St, but google maps and streetview both seem to me to show its 100PS).

I've been to 100PS a few times, it's a long way from the Cenotaph.

I suspect this was going to be some sort of tax on cars/ petrol thing, but we may never know now...

No, it was part of a film piece with Matt LeBlanc and Ken Block driving the car through London.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 10:38:50 AM »
If that's the case there's no reason for people to get in such a huff about the programme - and even less reason for Evans to have made that statement.
Not my sort of programme but I am familiar with it because I am married to a petrol head and he loves it.  I've never been keen on Jeremy Clarkson (who also writes in the Sunday Times, his articles being the main reason for my distaste), but I liked the other two, Hamster and James May, and could see, objectively, that the programme was entertaining.  I've zoned out since Mr Evans has joined and now he has jumped on the bandwagon, saying the episode in question should be banned, maybe he will be for the chop  ;D (doubt it).  Reading what he said, anyone would have thought they'd blown up a caravan outside the cenotaph.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 03:03:01 PM »
Yes, I agree with the above and with Stephen and Jeremy.  Not so close to the cenotaph after all, a big fuss about nothing.  What has made it worse is that buffoon, Chris Evans, saying the show must not be shown now.  Ridiculous.
I think he said that the item should not be shown.  There does seem to have been a lot of noise created by some people - as much as there was during the filming?  ;) - and CE probably felt that some conciliatory comment had to be made.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 03:15:45 PM »
He probably did think that but as, from what we can tell after looking beyond the media reports, there was nothing wrong with the stunt, why does he say it should not be shown.  There appears to be no reason it should not be shown and Chris Evans being conciliatory is misplaced.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 07:41:29 PM »
It would be much simpler if we just assumed you dislike everything unless you say you like it. It'll save you a lot of posting time.

Genius suggestion!  ;D
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein