Author Topic: Biblical Translation  (Read 33690 times)

ippy

Re: Biblical Translation
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2016, 01:39:48 PM »
Fools seldom differ.... :D

You should know Sassy.

ippy

Owlswing

« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2016, 07:45:01 PM »

No problem, unless, of course, you are classifying yourself in the other half of that saying, which, of course, with your usual dishonesty, you left out - just for clarity the saying is, in full "Great minds think alike - fools rarely differ".

In other words there is no difference between the two groups. Pull your skirt down Sassy, your duplicity is showing again!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Khatru

« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2016, 09:28:22 PM »

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good".

Psalm 14:

Is that the kind of fool you're talking about?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Sassy

« Reply #203 on: April 14, 2016, 02:34:32 PM »
You should know Sassy.

ippy

Well I wasn't one of those agreeing...but you most definitely were... :-*
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

ippy

« Reply #204 on: April 14, 2016, 04:51:26 PM »
Well I wasn't one of those agreeing...but you most definitely were... :-*

Oooow, not the dreaded sharp tongue Sassy.

ippy

Ricky Spanish

« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2016, 05:45:56 PM »
I reckon Sass and Thrud love each other really, and enjoy their spats! ;D

I guess it all goes "Whooooooosssshhhhh" above the air you call a head!
UNDERSTAND - I MAKE OPINIONS. IF YOUR ARGUMENTS MAKE ME QUESTION MY OPINION THEN I WILL CONSIDER THEM.

Sassy

« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2016, 08:01:37 AM »

No problem, unless, of course, you are classifying yourself in the other half of that saying, which, of course, with your usual dishonesty, you left out - just for clarity the saying is, in full "Great minds think alike - fools rarely differ".

In other words there is no difference between the two groups. Pull your skirt down Sassy, your duplicity is showing again!

Quote from: Khatru on April 12, 2016, 01:27:48 PM
Ah yes, that fits the third and ninth in my list of reasons that Christians regularly trot out to explain why they get it but I don't.

I don't understand because I need to know how to translate Hebrew and Greek

I believe you will find that translation has nothing to do with Christian understanding. And why in my case you would be SOOOOO wrong...

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

To understand what God is saying you only need ears.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

I don't understand because I need to view it from a child's perspective

Not what is really said:-

King James Bible
And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Trust in Christ as a child trusts their parents.

I don't understand because I'm not a "true Christian"

Is that for atheists or believers?

It would a pointless exercise for someone not a believer.

I don't understand because I'm not a biblical scholar

Wrong again... biblical scholar or not...
King James Bible
Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

Back to the drawing board for you. Anyone can be a biblical scholar but God has made foolish the wisdom of the world.

I don't understand because I took the scripture out of context.

King James Bible
Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

How do you take a scripture out of context?

I don't understand because it means something other than what it actually says

Not a clue where you got that one from....

I don't understand because it's an allegory

Do you mean parables? Not to worry sometimes it was done deliberate.

I don't understand because my mind is far too feeble to comprehend your god's truth

You definitely made that one up. LOL.

I don't understand because I've not been filled with the holy spirit

Really! Whose fault is that and what is it you do not understand? (like we need to actually ask given this post)

I suppose sometimes a lesson to amend your own ignorance is required.

You first!  Oh, I forgot, you claim ignorance according to your list but then make a statement that a lesson is needed to amend our ignorance. What ignorance is that? We know the answers it is you who is claiming otherwise for yourself.

Take a load off....

I guess you Owlswing, want to withdraw your stupid remarks given your ignorance of the facts.

Try reading the posts.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2016, 08:06:21 AM »
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good".

Psalm 14:

Is that the kind of fool you're talking about?

What kind/type of fool would that be?

The type of fool who because of lack of belief does corrupt or abominable works, so not doing the good they should?
Which people is God referring to in those words?

Who is King David referring to? As a King would he know his own people?

You need to be more specific....

floo

« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2016, 08:47:59 AM »

The type of fool who because of lack of belief does corrupt or abominable works, so not doing the good they should?

You are hilarious, sadly you can't see it! ::)

Khatru

« Reply #209 on: April 17, 2016, 08:59:24 PM »

I need to be more specific?

I was just quoting the Bible.

Do you agree with that scripture?

Dorothy Parker

Sassy

« Reply #210 on: April 27, 2016, 07:55:06 AM »
I need to be more specific?

I was just quoting the Bible.

Do you agree with that scripture?

No! You wrote a verse from the scripture and so far have shown no understanding of that verse.

So given the facts about the writer, who he was and who he was speaking about.
Give us an explanation of the words he used and why he called them what he did.

His history is a good place to start... if you know any of it...

Khatru

« Reply #211 on: April 27, 2016, 03:57:41 PM »
No! You wrote a verse from the scripture and so far have shown no understanding of that verse.

So given the facts about the writer, who he was and who he was speaking about.
Give us an explanation of the words he used and why he called them what he did.

His history is a good place to start... if you know any of it...

You're all over the place, Sass.

All I asked was whether you agreed with the scripture.

A simple yes/no answer will suffice.

Dorothy Parker

Sassy

« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2016, 01:19:24 AM »
You're all over the place, Sass.

All I asked was whether you agreed with the scripture.

A simple yes/no answer will suffice.

It is you... caught out with absolutely NO understanding... Now go away and wait till you actually know something about Christianity before you attempt discussions.

ippy

« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2016, 08:14:39 AM »
It is you... caught out with absolutely NO understanding... Now go away and wait till you actually know something about Christianity before you attempt discussions.

Understanding christianity Sass, it wouldn't matter how much anyone understands christianity, understanding christianity doesn't make any of it true, I don't know why you find this so difficult to understand?

Think about it Sass, you could do several thousand of your boring chapter and verse dirges, quoting all sorts of your bible's contents, as you usually do, these endless boring dirges still don't amount to anything like proof that your god/Jesus idea has anything to it, how come you find this so difficult to grasp/understand?

ippy       

floo

« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2016, 01:28:37 PM »
Just because people desperately want something to be true doesn't mean it is if there is no evidence to support it.

I want there to be no god or afterlife, and whilst there is no credible evidence to indicate that there is, I would be really silly if I stated that it was true there is no god or afterlife.

Khatru

« Reply #215 on: April 28, 2016, 03:04:39 PM »

Time to quote an earlier post of mine:

It's a simple enough question but it seems to cause you problems.

What is it with believers and their reluctance to answer questions?

Unlike the believers, I think most unbelievers will always try to answer a question posed by another person, regardless of the question, or indeed, who is posing it.

Will we always answer it to complete satisfaction?

Sometimes we will, sometimes not at all and sometimes never.  However, as a believer, I for one really dislike walking away from a question without at least trying to answer it.  Seems that this is a personal standard shared by many unbelievers and not-so-many believers.  It's a good quality.

Sure, we can be seen as arrogant at times; even forceful in our pursuit of accountability.  Unlike believers, we  have no problem being scrutinised and we are also able to elucidate in a way that can be understood by anyone willing to apply the same effort at understanding that we place ourselves out there to be scrutinised.

What I notice with theists is they like to jut the chin out and challenge.  However, try asking them a question that requires them to inspect what they think and you'll find they will try to shift the point of discussion to some sort of "only I can understand it" slant.

So, it's rare you run across an atheist that won't put themselves up to be picked apart or explain why they think as they do.

If it can be understood by one, it can by all, no desire or faith required.

http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?topic=11564.msg589963#msg589963

I asked you a simple question and you continually fail to answer it.

Why is this?

The answer is that you wholeheartedly agree with the scripture I quoted.  The reason you refuse to admit it is because you don't like what you see when you examine your beliefs on this.

It's an ugly ju-ju that you subscribe to.

Dorothy Parker

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #216 on: April 28, 2016, 03:18:54 PM »
The ''fool'' is a bad person, or ''vile'' person which is the Hebrew equivalent.  It doesn't necessarily mean 'stupid' which is more or less what we mean by 'fool' today, but somebody wicked.  David was speaking of 'fools' generally, not to anyone in particular.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Khatru

« Reply #217 on: April 29, 2016, 09:23:56 AM »
The ''fool'' is a bad person, or ''vile'' person which is the Hebrew equivalent.  It doesn't necessarily mean 'stupid' which is more or less what we mean by 'fool' today, but somebody wicked.  David was speaking of 'fools' generally, not to anyone in particular.

Where Sass's faith has clearly failed and left her afraid to face up to a simple question, at least you have had a go and I thank you for that.

So, if I've got you right, David is not saying that fools are stupid but that they are abominable, bad, vile and evil.

Why? Because they have not embraced the god of the Bible.

Let's have another look at this verse...

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Does it make believers feel good to lump the billions of people in the world who do not believe in the Bible god into one category as corrupt, abominable and doing no good?

The way I see it is that if the believer agrees with the second part then they are sick and they had better be prepared to prove their claim.

If the believer doesn't agree with the second part then they have a problem in that they are conceding that the Bible doesn't always get it right.

It's easy to see how Sass's faith has failed her and left her with no option other than to run away from the question.

Dorothy Parker

floo

« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »

David's behaviour wasn't exactly commendable.

ippy

« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2016, 10:26:18 AM »

If this particular David ever existed?

ippy

Khatru

« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »
David's behaviour wasn't exactly commendable.

The Bible tells us that David was "perfect in the ways of the Lord"

David is a hero of the Bible and it seems that being "perfect in the ways of the Lord", includes adultery and murder.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:36:23 AM by Khatru »

Dorothy Parker

Khatru

« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2016, 02:11:13 PM »
If this particular David ever existed?

ippy

Yes, there is that.

Archaelogy is no friend to the Bible and this particular David had little (if any) evidence to show that he even existed.

Dorothy Parker

Owlswing

« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2016, 12:11:34 PM »
I believe you will find that translation has nothing to do with Christian understanding. And why in my case you would be SOOOOO wrong...

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

To understand what God is saying you only need ears.

Not what is really said:-
Trust in Christ as a child trusts their parents.

Is that for atheists or believers?

It would a pointless exercise for someone not a believer.

Wrong again... biblical scholar or not...
King James Bible
Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

Back to the drawing board for you. Anyone can be a biblical scholar but God has made foolish the wisdom of the world.

King James Bible
Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

How do you take a scripture out of context?

Not a clue where you got that one from....

Do you mean parables? Not to worry sometimes it was done deliberate.

You definitely made that one up. LOL.

Really! Whose fault is that and what is it you do not understand? (like we need to actually ask given this post)

You first!  Oh, I forgot, you claim ignorance according to your list but then make a statement that a lesson is needed to amend our ignorance. What ignorance is that? We know the answers it is you who is claiming otherwise for yourself.

Take a load off....

I guess you Owlswing, want to withdraw your stupid remarks given your ignorance of the facts.

Try reading the posts.

Apologies for the delay in responding to the above, but I have been without internet since 23.04 - will not get it back (at home) until 19.05 - so I am using the library which, for once, has a terminal free.

Trouble is, Sassy, that I find all your quotes and remarks to be as stupid as you find mine - I do so because you are so totally blind to anything other that your own prejudices as enshrined in the pile of shit you call the bible!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2016, 12:55:26 PM »
Look's that way to me but interested to see what believers say.

Well believers on here are few and far between also very liberal and wishy washy.Now my understanding of sovereign would be that God has his finger on the button and knows what is going on.I hope that helps.

~TW~
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns