Author Topic: Is It Time To Put 'Top Gear' Out Of Its Misery?  (Read 3070 times)

Keith Maitland

Is It Time To Put 'Top Gear' Out Of Its Misery?
« on: March 18, 2016, 02:14:48 AM »
Commentary by Stephen Glover.

Should the BBC really be extolling ‘doughnutting’ on any public road, let alone Whitehall, with the police in respectful attendance?

::)   ::)

Such practices would be lethal if copied by ordinary drivers. It’s odd to see the Corporation celebrating naked speed and suicidal driving, though it has now said it won’t use this actual footage.

My bet is that Top Gear’s new presenters will make the show more puerile and appeal increasingly to the lowest common denominator — in short, to the pretty moronic segment of society. I suspect the BBC will find the programme brings them more embarrassment than plaudits, and very likely less money than it is bargaining for.

As for the police and Army — soldiers were photographed with the idiotic Matt LeBlanc and his Mustang at a photo-shoot in Woolwich — it beggars belief that they should be so eager to be associated with these infantile antics. We may live in a star-struck age that is in thrall to celebrity, but police chiefs and senior Army officers should put an end to such nonsense.

>:(  ;D  ;D

Brownie

• Faith evolves
Re: Is It Time To Put 'Top Gear' Out Of Its Misery?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 04:37:47 AM »
I had to google Matt LeBlanc, had no idea who he is.  I do now, he's the bloke on Top Gear!

Whoever wrote that BBC article is a bit of a killjoy.  I don't like TG but can see how entertaining the programme is for those who are into cars and driving generally.  Blowing up caravans could be considered quite irresponsible and I don't believe there has been any increase in that activity by the general public.

As for the police and Army — soldiers were photographed with the idiotic Matt LeBlanc and his Mustang at a photo-shoot in Woolwich — it beggars belief that they should be so eager to be associated with these infantile antics. We may live in a star-struck age that is in thrall to celebrity, but police chiefs and senior Army officers should put an end to such nonsense.

Police chiefs and army officers, presuming they're male in this instance, are just boys at heart who like toys.  Not as po-faced as the writer who for some reason spelt 'army' with a capital A.  Miserable git.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 06:59:14 AM »
Most tellys still come with an off switch and some more advanced models may have a remote control that lets you change the channel (it was on Tomorrow's World).
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 07:17:23 AM »
Most tellys still come with an off switch and some more advanced models may have a remote control that lets you change the channel (it was on Tomorrow's World).
Ah Raymond Baxter........we shan't see his like again mores the pity

floo

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 08:21:36 AM »
Top Gear is a ghastly programme and hardly environmentally friendly, it should bite the dust, imo.

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 08:55:54 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the previous team get-on on Amazon TV.
Brexit Bar:

Full of nuts but with lots of flakey bits and a bitter aftertaste

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 09:01:01 AM »
I had to google Matt LeBlanc, had no idea who he is.  I do now, he's the bloke on Top Gear!

He's Joey Tribiani!

How 'r' you doin'?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ippy

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 09:19:07 AM »
I quite like BBC Radio 2 in the mornings but never before half past nine, TopGear suffers with the same complaint I will not be watching any of this new lot of TG programming.

ippy

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 10:46:41 AM »
Few things can cause me to change channels faster than the sound of Chris Evans (except the sight of the idiot)
Brexit Bar:

ippy

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 11:15:19 AM »
Few things can cause me to change channels faster than the sound of Chris Evans (except the sight of the idiot)

I've found that in his private life he is an extreamely kind and thoughtfull person, but I still can't stand any of his broadcasting works and he will all ways be off of my list, shame I used to like watching TG from time to time.

I can't give any rational reason why I don't want to be in the same room as Cris E, must be a personality thing, I just can't stand the man either.

ippy

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 11:30:35 AM »
I find Chris Evans irritating too ippy, can't put my finger on why exactly.  I found J Clarkson's writings in the Sunday Times quite offensive at times but he was a good presenter of Top Gear and he and Richard Hammond and James May were a good, entertaining team.

The comment about the on/off switch made me laugh, shall I try turning the telly off while my ol' man is watching TG?  He  loves it and also watches old episodes on Dave when he gets the chance.  'Wheeler Dealers' is another thing he likes.

Jeremy, I am still none the wiser regarding Matt LeBlanc but no matter.  I understand he was in 'Friends' but I've never seen that. 

wigginhall

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 11:32:10 AM »
I don't like Evans, but I am a big fan of LeBlanc, in 'Episodes' he was brill.   Ridiculous to call for the cancellation of a programme. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 11:45:37 AM »
I've found that in his private life he is an extreamely kind and thoughtfull person, but I still can't stand any of his broadcasting works and he will all ways be off of my list, shame I used to like watching TG from time to time.

I can't give any rational reason why I don't want to be in the same room as Cris E, must be a personality thing, I just can't stand the man either.

ippy
It's just one of those things, some people are really irritating. He might be a really nice guy but I don't want to watch him.
Brexit Bar:

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »
I don't like Evans, but I am a big fan of LeBlanc, in 'Episodes' he was brill.   Ridiculous to call for the cancellation of a programme.

I think I will seek-out the Amazon version when it comes out.
Brexit Bar:

ippy

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »

Sorry Wiggs Chris E is 100% can't watch or listen whoever else is on the show, cannot explain why.

ippy 

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 12:35:07 PM »
Isn't it odd that so many of us feel that way about Chris Evans?  He may well be very nice in real life, I've also heard that.  It seemed a bit creepy of him to marry that nice girl Billie Piper when she was still a teenager and he sixteen years older - I mean, this is England and that's just not done in our society.  However I accept they were both adults and it's not my business.

I actually felt rotten about my attitude towards him, it seemed uncharitable of me.  I don't now thanks to all of you  :D.  Now is that 'safety in numbers' or 'pack mentality'?  Couldn't care less, I just feel better.

Glad to see most of us on here, even if we don't like Top Gear, don't think it is a bad programme that should be banned.  The controversy will make it more popular anyway.

Bubbles

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 12:39:56 PM »
It's a bit soon to be banning something that hasn't been aired yet.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »
Yes, let the watching public choose.

wigginhall

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 12:48:07 PM »
It's so pompous and snobbish to say that a certain programme is for morons, so should be taken off.   I think half the programmes on TV are trash, but so what?  No doubt, some people relax watching them, and I watch 'Person of Interest' and 'Mrs Brown's Boys', which no doubt some people think are trash.   It's so authoritarian. 

Incidentally, the OP has no link, which is annoying.   Sack him!
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

BeRational

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 02:43:55 PM »
It's so pompous and snobbish to say that a certain programme is for morons, so should be taken off.   I think half the programmes on TV are trash, but so what?  No doubt, some people relax watching them, and I watch 'Person of Interest' and 'Mrs Brown's Boys', which no doubt some people think are trash.   It's so authoritarian. 

Incidentally, the OP has no link, which is annoying.   Sack him!

For me it's The Walking Dead!

When the world turns to shit, you are going to need Rick Grimes.

My trash of choice.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

ippy

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 03:49:40 PM »
Bring back Spitting Image!

ippy

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 05:32:23 PM »
It's so pompous and snobbish to say that a certain programme is for morons, so should be taken off.
My brother recently said exactly the same thing to me when I apparently cast aspersions on The Voice (I thought I was asking an innocent question about it).

I think half the programmes on TV are trash, but so what?  No doubt, some people relax watching them, and I watch 'Person of Interest' and 'Mrs Brown's Boys', which no doubt some people think are trash.   It's so authoritarian. 

Person of Interest is not trash by any stretch. It's actually quite intelligently done.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 05:35:42 PM »
My brother recently said exactly the same thing to me when I apparently cast aspersions on The Voice (I thought I was asking an innocent question about it).

Person of Interest is not trash by any stretch. It's actually quite intelligently done.

I think we have a little fan club on here.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 05:38:47 PM »
I think we have a little fan club on here.

I recently discovered that, if you VPN to the USA, you can get season 4 on Netflix.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 06:19:24 PM »
It's just one of those things, some people are really irritating. He might be a really nice guy but I don't want to watch him.
I'm afraid that no-one can be as irratating as Clarkson.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools