Author Topic: Chris is risen  (Read 2376 times)

Shaker

Chris is risen
« on: March 26, 2016, 09:08:12 AM »
... apparently:

A church was presented with signs reading "Chris is risen" after a mix up at the printers.

Acomb Parish Church, in York, had ordered four banners saying 'Christ is Risen' but the 'T' was missed off the finished article.

However, assistant Curate Ned Lunn said the error was discovered before the signs were delivered.

A BBC Radio York Facebook post has been shared more than 3,000 times, prompting one person to reply 'More T vicar?'

Mr Lunn said: "I'm so glad the customer spotted the mistake. It'll save a bit of embarrassment and a lot of confusion.

"I had to check the four banners when I distributed them though, just to make sure.

"The pastor at the Baptist Church is actually called Chris and he's got to get up for a sunrise service at 6.30am on Easter Sunday.

"His predecessor didn't manage to get up for the service last year."

http://goo.gl/BOhCWc
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

Re: Chris is risen
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 10:16:02 AM »
WHOOPS!

Leonard James

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 01:09:25 PM »
I find it hard to believe that whoever made the sign was unaware of the bloomer. Surely nobody can be that stupid?

floo

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 01:22:24 PM »
I find it hard to believe that whoever made the sign was unaware of the bloomer. Surely nobody can be that stupid?

Oh they can! :o

Leonard James

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 04:11:05 PM »
Oh they can! :o

That saddens me a tad!  :(

Jack Knave

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 06:36:27 PM »
Perhaps they were blind and could not see...?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 06:40:47 PM »
Proof-reading what one has written oneself is often a bad idea.  That is why you should always ask a third-party to proof-read what you write.  It happens often enough here.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Jack Knave

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 06:44:42 PM »
Poof-reading what one has written oneself is often a band idea.  That is why you should always ask a turd-party to poof-read what you writ.  It happens often enough her.
Yours doesn't look right!!!  ;D Did anyone proof read this one?

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 06:53:31 PM »
Ah, the old mnemonic,  "Chris is risen, clocks go forward. Chris is fallen, clocks go back."
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

ippy

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 11:25:34 PM »
This can happen with sign language.

ippy

SusanDoris

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 07:10:13 AM »
Ah, the old mnemonic,  "Chris is risen, clocks go forward. Chris is fallen, clocks go back."
Personally, on that subject, I am feeling a bit miffed this morning. Nobody reminded me yesterday that the clocks were going forward last night, so it took me about 10 minutes to work out why the central heating was not on!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 10:56:43 AM »
Was it just a simple miscommunication?

Apprentice Sign-writer to supervisor ;

We're all out of 'T'

Supervisor ;
Don't worry about it, I will fix that later, now just finish that job for the church then we can all get home.
(....mental note to self
Get box of PG Tips on way to work tomorrow morning! )
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Rhiannon

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »
Given the propensity for irritating signs with missing letters outside churches (Ch--rch - what's missing? UR  ::) ) it might be that they only have themselves to blame.

ippy

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »
Given the propensity for irritating signs with missing letters outside churches (Ch--rch - what's missing? UR  ::) ) it might be that they only have themselves to blame.

Letters pray.

ippy

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 06:41:59 PM »
Yours doesn't look right!!!  ;D Did anyone proof read this one?
Odd that the quote you include in your post doesn't match the post you have quoted, JK.  I certainly hadn't gone back and edited any of the original.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 04:32:53 AM »
Odd that the quote you include in your post doesn't match the post you have quoted, JK.  I certainly hadn't gone back and edited any of the original.
Several years ago, I was on a course and one chap said he had just finished printing thousands of flyers for Pizza Nut.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:10:28 AM by Diversity in refuse collecting. »

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 04:54:32 AM »
I once worked as a temp in the Pubic Health Department.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 05:11:14 AM »
I once worked as a temp in the Pubic Health Department.
Did you come up to scratch?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 01:23:02 PM »
Please don't lay into the sign writer. Normally his work is pretty accurate. He was just having a bit of a bad spell.

Thank you, I'm her all weak.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Jack Knave

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 05:39:49 PM »
You can't really mean this? No smiles to indicate this. Just so it is clear it was a joke!!!

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 06:03:10 PM »
Obviously, once Chris has risen, he should be beaten down, left to rise again, then placed in an oven preheated to 220 for ten minutes, then turn the oven down to 180 and cooked until the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Shaker

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 06:20:58 PM »
That's not Chris, that's Paul  ;)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Jack Knave

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 07:19:12 PM »
Obviously, once Chris has risen, he should be beaten down, left to rise again, then placed in an oven preheated to 220 for ten minutes, then turn the oven down to 180 and cooked until the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
Was that a method used by the Spanish Inquisition?