Author Topic: If Jesus did come back would you want to kill him?  (Read 25868 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: If Jesus did come back would you want to kill him?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 07:46:52 PM »
I don't find them especially offensive, and I still have something of my 'offended Christian' radar operational from when I was one. I'm not sure you can condemn an entire thread from four or five posts either.
which is why when I replied, I put it in context. We have a thread which were it in those first few posts appear equivalently on the pagan thread, owlswing would have gone into minor meltdown and, I suspect,you might have got slightly cross at. I think there are more atheists currently posting, which is why I argued that they need to understand how that appears, not just to  those on the board but those who might read it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:48:54 PM by Nearly Sane »

Rhiannon

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 07:50:37 PM »
You think wrong if you think anything in the first few posts would have offended me in a pagan context. How exactly?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »
You think wrong if you think anything in the first few posts would have offended me in a pagan context. How exactly?
I think you need to translate it into 6 or 7 mocking posts on a thread on paganism which are based on a simplistic understanding. If Sassy, Johny Canoe, Vlad and Hope had posted simularly, I think you would have reacted that it was all a bit silly and they should stop wumming. Owlswing would have gone beyond that, and i would have been first up to point out the appropriateness. And again I am making a specific point about how the dynamics of the board, and that if there is a majority there is a responsibility on how to behave, do you disagree?

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 08:30:23 PM »

If what I read recently is true, cancer is very much a recent development,

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2003/oct/23/dinosaurs.science

Are you going to admit you are wrong about this or not? Because if not you look like and absolute fool.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 09:30:39 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2003/oct/23/dinosaurs.science

Are you going to admit you are wrong about this or not? Because if not you look like and absolute fool.
Sorry Stephen, I had forgotten that the article which I read - http://dailym.ai/1Vri7fa - was rather more specific than just 'cancer'.  However, it does indicate that the condition is in a large part related to Western lifestyle.

It is alo worth pointing out that even your article is highly specific - "Only one group - the Hadrosaurs, or "duck-billed dinosaurs" - suffered from cancer."
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

BeRational

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2016, 09:33:51 PM »
Sorry Stephen, I had forgotten that the article which I read - http://dailym.ai/1Vri7fa - was rather more specific than just 'cancer'.  However, it does indicate that the condition is in a large part related to Western lifestyle.

It is alo worth pointing out that even your article is highly specific - "Only one group - the Hadrosaurs, or "duck-billed dinosaurs" - suffered from cancer."

I was told that everyone will die from cancer if something else does not kill you first.
Cancer is caused by faulty gene copies and as you get older the chance of them happening increases.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 09:44:49 PM »
Thanks for the support, Nearly.

OMW/Johnny Canoe was so upset by a poster's comment saying.... "all evangelists should be lined up and shot", that he felt he had to resign his membership. Johnny's father was an evangelist/pastor. He also told me he couldn't bear the thought of a Christian, possible newcomer to the board, seeing the comment and that it had gone unmoderated.

I feel the title of this thread falls in a similar category.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2016, 09:51:31 PM »

OMW/Johnny Canoe was so upset by a poster's comment saying.... "all evangelists should be lined up and shot", that he felt he had to resign his membership. Johnny's father was an evangelist/pastor. He also told me he couldn't bear the thought of a Christian, possible newcomer to the board, seeing the comment and that it had gone unmoderated.

And Johnny took enough opportunities to make very similar cracks against numerous people on here that his justification and your ignoring that has contributed to it. I'll defend anyone but making him out as some innocent martyr instead of a major contributor to the problem, is either disingenuous or foolish.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2016, 09:52:42 PM »

I have alluded to this lack - in my view - of honest moderation, on a different thread.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 09:54:55 PM »
I have alluded to this lack - in my view - of honest moderation, on a different thread.

So which mod(s) are dishonest?

SweetPea

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2016, 09:59:17 PM »
And Johnny took enough opportunities to make very similar cracks against numerous people on here that his justification and your ignoring that has contributed to it. I'll defend anyone but making him out as some innocent martyr instead of a major contributor to the problem, is either disingenuous or foolish.

No, I'm not making him out to be an innocent martyr, I'm just trying to express that talk of killing or shooting anyone is inappropriate.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2016, 10:04:03 PM »
No, I'm not making him out to be an innocent martyr, I'm just trying to express that talk of killing or shooting anyone is inappropriate.

Depends on context, but I didn't see much of you speaking out when Johnny would indulge in similar mockery to this thread with pagans, why was that?

SweetPea

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2016, 10:09:47 PM »
Depends on context, but I didn't see much of you speaking out when Johnny would indulge in similar mockery to this thread with pagans, why was that?

Probably, because he used to say he was trying to deflect all the bashing of Christians on the Christian topic threads.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2016, 10:10:09 PM »
Thanks NS for being direct, clear and courteous.  It's better to say it as it is, which you did quite calmly, rather than trying to divert or dilute a conversation.

I'm sorry about OMW, SweetPea.  He was good fun.  I hope he comes back.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2016, 10:11:47 PM »
Thanks NS for being direct, clear and courteous.  It's better to say it as it is, which you did quite calmly, rather than trying to divert or dilute a conversation.

I'm sorry about OMW, SweetPea.  He was good fun.  I hope he comes back.
He was also inclined to be deeply dismissive and attacking of posters and beliefs on here, was that fun?

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2016, 10:26:28 PM »
No NS but I've noticed there's a lot of that across the board.  Good and not so good from many posters.  I gave up trying to work him out, but he was a larger than life character and could be amusing (despite the snork).

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2016, 10:30:51 PM »
No NS but I've noticed there's a lot of that across the board.  Good and not so good from many posters.  I gave up trying to work him out, but he was a larger than life character and could be amusing (despite the snork).
Then deal with the whole person. Not a caricature to suit some idea that he was an innocent touted by some.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2016, 10:32:45 PM »
I found Johnny a mass of contradictions, and regularly disagreed with him; but more recently, I didn't really attempt 'combat' with him.  Was saddened to hear of his going, but not to the extent of shedding a tear.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2016, 10:44:16 PM »
I disagreed with him too Hope, he was quite complex and I didn't always understand him yet I felt drawn to his posts, always read them when I saw his name as the most recent poster on a thread.    I haven't seen anyone present him as an innocent!

Rhiannon

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2016, 11:03:39 PM »
This thread is descending quite unnecessarily into dividing the forum into sheep and goats, them and us. It's not something I've ever sought as a pagan; I've always taken people for who rather than what they are, although I'll debate ill thought-out bollockery with anyone.

Shaker

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2016, 11:04:38 PM »
Those last eight words are going to be my new signature when I change it :D
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2016, 11:52:13 PM »
If what I read recently is true, cancer is very much a recent development, reflecting lifestyle and diet.
It's true that more people have had it recently but that is because they are not dying from other things anymore. And the reason for that is the hard work done by humans doing things like eradicating smallpox and making appendicitis survivable.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Owlswing

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2016, 02:10:20 AM »

Would I want to kill him?

No, I really wouldn't. It would be far more entertaining to follow him around for a couple of weeks taking notes on his reactions to the things that have been, and are being, done in his name.

I think that that experience is very likely to be enough to make him kill himself!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2016, 05:00:41 AM »
I disagreed with him too Hope, he was quite complex and I didn't always understand him yet I felt drawn to his posts, always read them when I saw his name as the most recent poster on a thread.    I haven't seen anyone present him as an innocent!

Both Sassy and SweetPea did, I would suggest, when he was banned/resigned, and also presented it as there was some vendetta against Christians. Vlad continues to raise threads on the idea of such a vendetta. I find that just as contributory to any problems as the first few posts on this thread.

Leonard James

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2016, 06:27:41 AM »
Would I want to kill him?

No, I really wouldn't. It would be far more entertaining to follow him around for a couple of weeks taking notes on his reactions to the things that have been, and are being, done in his name.

I think that that experience is very likely to be enough to make him kill himself!

:) :) :) :) :)

Very good post, Owl, and probably true. Jesus would be appalled at the cruel actions of some of his followers.