Author Topic: If Jesus did come back would you want to kill him?  (Read 25880 times)

Sassy

Re: If Jesus did come back would you want to kill him?
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2016, 07:44:08 AM »
Assume for now that the Big Fella finally showed up a second time around, would you want to kill him - or at least have a few stiff words?

After all, first time round he could presumably a least have bothered leaving behind a cure for childhood cancer or fixed it so that earthquakes and tsunamis didn't carry away countless innocent people.

And while we're about it, what's with sitting on his hands for the last 2,000 years? Surely if he'd just deflected a bit the bullet that killed Archduke Ferdinand or squished the first flu virus before millions died in the subsequent events his Dad would have approved wouldn't he? 

We punish people in the real world for culpable negligence - why should JC get a free pass if ever he makes it to court?

Doh! Homer Simpson would be able to understand that when Christ returned people would be too busy grinding their teeth an wailing that they never believed in the first instance.

Reminds me of the day a friends parents house caught fire. He had gone to the chip shop for chips. Which was a good 30 minute walk there and back. When he got back his home was up in smoke with firefighters trying to put out the blaze and his mother was sat crying on the step of a neighbours house. He didn't ask if everyone okay or what has happened. He went  up to his mum and said.." Here is your chips" She threw them at him and hit him.

Some people have no understanding of what matters and how they should react.
But Christ returning would mean all those things you spoke about do not matter. Because all those people especially Children are already with him and perfectly safe and restored.

Revelation 21:4
“And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.”

So what problem would there be to moan about and why would they be worried about the former things?
The fact he returns would give them far bigger problems to worry about especially if atheist or pagan.

We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

SusanDoris

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2016, 08:21:42 AM »
I think I'd make him watch'The Life of Brian'!!!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2016, 08:23:04 AM »
He'd probably find it very funny, Susan.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

floo

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2016, 08:29:36 AM »
I suspect the real Jesus was nothing like the gospels depiction of him.

Rhiannon

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2016, 09:27:45 AM »

Why?

Rhiannon

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2016, 09:33:06 AM »
Wasn't there a story once where Jesus had to be killed at the Second Coming in order to prevent a new Christianity forming around him?

There's also the idea that someone as good and blameless as Jesus is always killed because the rest of humanity can't bear to look upon it. Related to that is fear of the different; Richard Bach touches on this with the death of his messiah figure pilot in Illusions.

Rhiannon

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2016, 09:38:22 AM »
Those last eight words are going to be my new signature when I change it :D

Feel free.  :D

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »
Wasn't there a story once where Jesus had to be killed at the Second Coming in order to prevent a new Christianity forming around him?

I'd not heard that story before Rhiannon.
There are Christians who believe that Christ has come back, in the form of the Holy Spirit.  He did say he would send His spirit.  It's an idea, I honestly don't know what I believe about Christ's second coming and it doesn't bother me but it is quite possible that He didn't mean He would return in the flesh.

[/quote]There's also the idea that someone as good and blameless as Jesus is always killed because the rest of humanity can't bear to look upon it. Related to that is fear of the different; Richard Bach touches on this with the death of his messiah figure pilot in Illusions.[/quote]

Thanks, I've not read Illusions and will look up Richard Bach which sounds interesting.  It is a story, we really don't know how Jesus will return.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:36:53 AM by Brownie »
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Rhiannon

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2016, 10:42:26 AM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Coming_(TV_serial)

Full plot here so don't read if you fancy getting it on DVD.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2016, 10:47:23 AM »
I think you should watch the life of Python.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2016, 10:50:24 AM »
Assume for now that the Big Fella finally showed up a second time around, would you want to kill him - or at least have a few stiff words?

After all, first time round he could presumably a least have bothered leaving behind a cure for childhood cancer or fixed it so that earthquakes and tsunamis didn't carry away countless innocent people.

And while we're about it, what's with sitting on his hands for the last 2,000 years? Surely if he'd just deflected a bit the bullet that killed Archduke Ferdinand or squished the first flu virus before millions died in the subsequent events his Dad would have approved wouldn't he? 

We punish people in the real world for culpable negligence - why should JC get a free pass if ever he makes it to court?
I think it was Socrates who said that if a perfect person appeared people would want to kill them.

BeRational

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2016, 10:52:12 AM »
I think it was Socrates who said that if a perfect person appeared people would want to kill them.

Why?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
Quote from: Rhiannon lintopic=11849.msg603798#msg603798 date=1459849346
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Coming_(TV_serial)

Full plot here so don't read if you fancy getting it on DVD.

I won't get anything on dvd, I have a large 'to watch' pile  already :).
Thanks for the link, I remember Jonathan Livingston Seagull well, just forgot who wrote it.
Richard Bach's philosophy is quite interesting and would have interested me very much when I was younger.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »
It is hard to imagine how we will react when confronted with the true reality in discovering God's perfect love and the evil deceptions of the Devil.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

floo

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »
It is hard to imagine how we will react when confronted with the true reality in discovering God's perfect love and the evil deceptions of the Devil.

Another of your assumptions, without anything to back it up. ::)

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2016, 04:35:52 PM »

Sounds something like the 'Grand Inquisitor' episode from Dostoevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov".
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »

Well I think I would react by saying why didn't you dispose of the Devil if you didn't want us to be deceived.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2016, 04:43:26 PM »
I don't believe anyone here would seriously want to kill Jesus, despite the cheeky stuff posted earlier in the thread.
However, if he did come back in the flesh, which is not universally believed, it's highly likely that he would be viewed with great suspicion, as before, because people are and have always been naturally sceptical and suspicious.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »
Nearly Sane and Hope

Your pleas for greater sensitivity fall on deaf ears as far as I'm concerned because of your insistence that you are right and everyone else is wrong.

How about you make some concessions to other peoples (Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, atheists, agnostics, etc) point of view for a start.

But you won't will you? You are the only ones who know the truth. Such hypocrisy.

NearlySane is not a Christian. Simply because he criticises the tone of a message from a fellow atheist should not automatically make you think he is a believer and has some monopoly on religious truth.
 Hope...on the other hand....
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
I don't believe anyone here would seriously want to kill Jesus, despite the cheeky stuff posted earlier in the thread.
However, if he did come back in the flesh, which is not universally believed, it's highly likely that he would be viewed with great suspicion, as before, because people are and have always been naturally sceptical and suspicious.

With my modest biblical critic hat on, I could say that the real historical Jesus never believed that he himself would return. He talked of a personage called "The Son of Man" who would soon appear to announce the winding-up of history. The gospel writers, and of course all subsequent strands of Christian theology (until recent times) have of course tended to conflate the two. But even in the gospels there are texts that give a strong impression that Jesus thought the 'Son of Man' (the judgment figure written of in Daniel) was some spiritual personage quite distinct from himself.

Le Bon David

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2016, 04:58:54 PM »

What on earth is a 'perfect person'?
It is unlikely that anyone will ever be able to disentangle mythologising from historical truth in the gospels, but the 'wandering preacher of Nazareth' (not the man-god) seems to have had a powerful social message, and was extremely courageous, albeit somewhat irascible. That seems to have been enough to get him killed the first time round. 'Perfect' though? 

Le Bon David

Bubbles

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2016, 10:46:08 PM »

My first thought on reading the thread, was, ........ would I want to see if he could come back to life again? ( hence the killing)

Me being a real doubting Thomas, wouldn't believe it was him, and even if he'd died again and was resurrected, I'd think it was a clever trick worked with smoke and mirrors  ;)

But no, I don't think the person who was Jesus, is responsible for things other people did, using his name.

I think he would be horrified at many of the things done, supposedly in his name based on his teachings.

It isn't Jesus that needs a few stiff words, but the people who used his name as an excuse for inhumanity, IMO.
🌹
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:49:19 PM by Rose »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2016, 10:48:21 PM »
My first thought on reading the thread, was, ........ would I want to see if he could come back to life again?

Me being a real doubting Thomas, wouldn't believe it was him, and even if he'd died again and was resurrected, I'd think it was a clever trick worked with smoke and mirrors  ;)

But no, I don't think the person who was Jesus, is responsible for things other people did, using his name.

I think he would be horrified at many of the things done, supposedly in his name based on his teachings.

🌹
So just to check that's none of the bad or good things carried out in his name, so any good work.by Christians is nothing to do with religion or belief in Jesus?

Bubbles

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2016, 10:55:23 PM »
So just to check that's none of the bad or good things carried out in his name, so any good work.by Christians is nothing to do with religion or belief in Jesus?

No, not sure why you think that.

Jesus would only be responsible for those acts he encouraged by his teachings.

I don't think Jesus taught that bad things should be carried out in his name though, did he?

He did talk a lot about charity, and loving your enemy and neighbour.

He was only responsible for the things he taught, not for things he didn't teach.

IMO Jesus didn't teach Christianity, that came later.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:58:40 PM by Rose »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2016, 11:17:22 PM »
No, not sure why you think that.

Jesus would only be responsible for those acts he encouraged by his teachings.

I don't think Jesus taught that bad things should be carried out in his name though, did he?

He did talk a lot about charity, and loving your enemy and neighbour.

He was only responsible for the things he taught, not for things he didn't teach.

IMO Jesus didn't teach Christianity, that came later.

Not sure why I think what? You seem to want to argue that Jesus only wanted the nice things done in his name, no true Scotsman fallacy? Why are you wanting to cherry pick? It's a bit hypocritical to me to say 'anything I think is good done in the name of JC is all fine, any bad stuff done in his name, nothing to do with it'.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:23:35 PM by Nearly Sane »