Author Topic: After The Fall  (Read 60928 times)

Dicky Underpants

Re: After The Fall
« Reply #475 on: April 27, 2016, 04:00:09 PM »
Ah but we are getting there nn, with the rise of Darkfield (or Dark Field) microscopy.  Best studied with Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor playing in the background.

A good example of mycelial  subterfuge, since the authorship of said T&F is suspect.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #476 on: April 27, 2016, 05:30:52 PM »
Brownie,

Bluehillside, sorry you didn't think my attempt at straight-faced fun was appropriate.  I promise I won't do it again but I couldn't resist at the time.

Well, here's what you wrote:

The somatid is an ultramicrosopic subcellular living and reproducing entity, which many scientists believe is the precursor of DNA and which may be the building block of all terrestrial life.  So, yes, Jeremy, could be.

One might be forgiven I think for failing to see the intended irony. Nonetheless, if that's the way you meant it then I apologise.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #477 on: April 27, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »
No apology necessary at all, Bluehillside, but thank you.  I must be better at pretending than I thought  :D.  Maybe it's not fair though because newnature, someone not well known on this forum, may be deadly serious about all this.  I'm not going to 'be funny' about it any more, it was meant to be lighthearted but it could be interpreted as mocking.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #478 on: April 27, 2016, 05:49:58 PM »
Brownie,

No apology necessary at all, Bluehillside, but thank you.  I must be better at pretending than I thought  :D.  Maybe it's not fair though because newnature, someone not well known on this forum, may be deadly serious about all this.  I'm not going to 'be funny' about it any more, it was meant to be lighthearted but it could be interpreted as mocking.

Actually I disagree - I tend to the thin end of the wedge position whereby if we don't falsify, undermine, mock idiocy like this then we risk the accretion of these stupidities such that eventually they can have real world consequences like people throwing away their proper medicines. Richard Dawkins I recall was pilloried for being po-faced when he objected to horoscopes in newspapers for the same reason but I think he had a point - we privilege idiocy in the public sphere at our peril I think, whether religious idiocy or any other type.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #479 on: April 27, 2016, 06:19:56 PM »
Brownie,

Actually I disagree - I tend to the thin end of the wedge position whereby if we don't falsify, undermine, mock idiocy like this then we risk the accretion of these stupidities such that eventually they can have real world consequences like people throwing away their proper medicines. Richard Dawkins I recall was pilloried for being po-faced when he objected to horoscopes in newspapers for the same reason but I think he had a point - we privilege idiocy in the public sphere at our peril I think, whether religious idiocy or any other type.

Completely agree. Take "Till death us do part", a perfect example of showing unenlightened views for what they are.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #480 on: April 27, 2016, 07:23:30 PM »
I see your point, both of you, but I think I'll leave it to others to do the mick taking from now on.  For all we know, nn is taking the mick!   

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #481 on: April 27, 2016, 07:37:59 PM »
I see your point, both of you, but I think I'll leave it to others to do the mick taking from now on.  For all we know, nn is taking the mick!

Not so sure, have you seen his blog? Which could also be a wind up I agree but.....

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #482 on: April 27, 2016, 07:44:33 PM »
No I haven't.  I might read it if I can't sleep tonight, thanks Stephen.
A bit later:  I had a peep and recognised it straight away, I obviously looked at it before.  No, I don't think it's a wind up.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:48:47 PM by Brownie »

ippy

« Reply #483 on: April 28, 2016, 08:25:05 AM »
Well, I have to admit that Monty Python did have a slight influence on what I wrote...

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_scripts/brandnew.php

ht

"What I wrote", wasn't that Morcome and Wise?

ippy