Author Topic: Original sin.  (Read 17607 times)

Spud

Re: Original sin.
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 03:17:29 PM »
Having read it again, I was struck by the dreadful, over the top, unjust punishment meted out. Thank goodness we humans are not so vindictive.
Well either we died or we lived for ever with the sinful nature.  :(

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 03:25:53 PM »
Can some Christian please tell me what "original sin" is currently taken to mean?

Spiritually....uniting forces are considered 'Good' and separating forces are considered 'bad'.  In that sense...gravity is good and Dark Energy is bad. Light is good and darkness is bad.

Original Sin probably refers to the initial forces that separated the individual souls from the Universal Soul. After this 'original sin', we are now in the process of uniting back with the Universal Soul which is what the development process is all about.  This is why a universal vision is considered as 'good' and an ego centric view is considered as 'bad'.  An integrating, uniting view is considered as good and a separating, discriminating view is considered as bad. 

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 03:27:18 PM »
Spud,

Well either we died or we lived for ever with the sinful nature.  :(

Or there's not a word of truth in any of it. Hmmm...
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Leonard James

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2016, 03:42:27 PM »
Spiritually....uniting forces are considered 'Good' and separating forces are considered 'bad'.  In that sense...gravity is good and Dark Energy is bad. Light is good and darkness is bad.

Original Sin probably refers to the initial forces that separated the individual souls from the Universal Soul. After this 'original sin', we are now in the process of uniting back with the Universal Soul which is what the development process is all about.  This is why a universal vision is considered as 'good' and an ego centric view is considered as 'bad'.  An integrating, uniting view is considered as good and a separating, discriminating view is considered as bad.

Universal and individual souls? What does that mean?

Owlswing

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 03:43:11 PM »

I thought that "original sin" referred to a doctrine that all babies born were considered to have sin in them at birth, or they were born sinners. Thus "original"
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Leonard James

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
I thought that "original sin" referred to a doctrine that all babies born were considered to have sin in them at birth, or they were born sinners. Thus "original"

I think that is what I was taught when young, but I can't really remember clearly. Hence my question.

newnature

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »

Well said. That is what religion teaches. That is how religion hook people into their religions. Religion has a way of taking care of that original sin, hogwash. Ministers of righteousness have a hay-day with that original sin.
2 Timothy 2:15, approved where? At the Judgement Seat of the Savior. A workman worthy of God’s praise rightly dividing the word of truth.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2016, 04:06:21 PM »
Universal and individual souls? What does that mean?

In Spirituality (I am not talking from a purely Christian perspective), there is said to be a Universal Spirit which forms the substratum of the world. It is perhaps equal to the Common Consciousness of Jung.

Individual spirits (all of us) are believed to have separated from the Universal Spirit like water evaporates from the ocean. We are now in the process of rejoining the Universal Spirit like rivers flowing back into the ocean.

This belief is the foundation of all spirituality.

The initial separation is called the Fall or the Original Sin. The forces that caused the separation are considered as 'evil' and the forces making us rejoin the Universal spirit are considered as 'good'. 

Since every person born in the world is born only because he is separated from the Universal Spirit (otherwise he wouldn't be born here) it is said that every baby  is born with the Original Sin. 

Leonard James

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2016, 04:11:58 PM »
In Spirituality (I am not talking from a purely Christian perspective), there is said to be a Universal Spirit which forms the substratum of the world. It is perhaps equal to the Common Consciousness of Jung.

Individual spirits (all of us) are believed to have separated from the Universal Spirit like water evaporates from the ocean. We are now in the process of rejoining the Universal Spirit like rivers flowing back into the ocean.

The initial separation is called the Fall or the Original Sin. The forces that caused the separation are considered as 'evil' and the forces making us rejoin the Universal spirit are considered as 'good'. 

Since every person born in the world is born only because he is separated from the Universal Spirit (otherwise he wouldn't be born here) it is said that every baby  is born with the Original Sin.

Good grief! Who dreamed up all this stuff?

newnature

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2016, 04:21:05 PM »

That spirit teaching is funny stuff. See how the universal spirit wants to keep the original sin an issue. Shall we put water on us so the universal spirit doesn't get us.
2 Timothy 2:15, approved where? At the Judgement Seat of the Savior. A workman worthy of God’s praise rightly dividing the word of truth.

Owlswing

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2016, 05:09:20 PM »
Well said. That is what religion teaches. That is how religion hook people into their religions. Religion has a way of taking care of that original sin, hogwash. Ministers of righteousness have a hay-day with that original sin.

NN

Will you please decide which horse you are riding.

Your sudden change of direction is reminiscent of the Super Troll.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

newnature

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2016, 05:14:11 PM »
NN

Will you please decide which horse you are riding.

Your sudden change of direction is reminiscent of the Super Troll.

I'm sealed into the body of Christ. I never change direction, religion is man made junk.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »
Hi Len,

My take on original sin.

Mankind as a species suffered a fall in the eyes of God, caused by the temptation of the fallen angel Lucifer, now known as Satan.  A consequence of this fall is that we are very much under the power of Satan.  God has provided an escape from Satan's power through our redeemer and saviour Jesus Christ.

So we need to recognise that original sin makes us vulnerable to Satan's power, and to realise that we have Jesus as our Saviour.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

newnature

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2016, 07:59:37 PM »
Hi Len,

My take on original sin.

Mankind as a species suffered a fall in the eyes of God, caused by the temptation of the fallen angel Lucifer, now known as Satan.  A consequence of this fall is that we are very much under the power of Satan.  God has provided an escape from Satan's power through our redeemer and saviour Jesus Christ.

So we need to recognise that original sin makes us vulnerable to Satan's power, and to realise that we have Jesus as our Saviour.

Everybody believes or supposed to believe in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, that is not the message that saves. It is understanding the meaning of that message that saves today.

Leonard James

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2016, 08:16:54 PM »
Hi Len,

My take on original sin.

Well my post #20 is my opinion of that take on it.

To punish the whole of humanity for a 'sin' they didn't commit is the most unjust thing I've ever heard.

newnature

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2016, 08:30:58 PM »

To punish the whole of humanity for a 'sin' they didn't commit is the most unjust thing I've ever heard.

Look at the values you have. From your youth you were molded so to speak about moral choices of good and bad. You might have fought in WW2, what can someone say to that. Your values are you, and to add the King or Queen of England into the mix. No, you have your values, but along comes religion. Religion whats to question your values, was religion with you during WW2 or was something else.

Owlswing

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2016, 09:43:52 PM »

Look at the values you have. From your youth you were molded so to speak about moral choices of good and bad. You might have fought in WW2, what can someone say to that. Your values are you, and to add the King or Queen of England into the mix. No, you have your values, but along comes religion. Religion whats to question your values, was religion with you during WW2 or was something else.

Hmm! Religion to soldiers in WW2. My take on that is the same as the late great Spike Milligan who stated that the closest any soldier came to religion was when he screamed JEEEESUS FUUUUUUUUUUUKING CHRIIIIST when he dropped a 25 pounder shell on his toes.

newnature

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2016, 10:01:14 PM »
Hmm! Religion to soldiers in WW2. My take on that is the same as the late great Spike Milligan who stated that the closest any soldier came to religion was when he screamed JEEEESUS FUUUUUUUUUUUKING CHRIIIIST when he dropped a 25 pounder shell on his toes.

You missed my point. I'm sure OP can tell some stories. Original Sin is a religion scam.

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2016, 10:18:51 PM »
For as in Adam all died so in Christ all shall live.

Original sin? Reminds me of a Eurythmics song.

It's almost a moot point since we have plenty sins of our own.
"It is finished."

newnature

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2016, 10:48:41 PM »
For as in Adam all died so in Christ all shall live.

Original sin? Reminds me of a Eurythmics song.

It's almost a moot point since we have plenty sins of our own.

God did for this age, what the human race could never do on their own. Reconciliation, but does that mean the whole world is save? No!

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2016, 10:50:43 PM »

But Jesus came to save us, not to punish us.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

newnature

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2016, 10:53:35 PM »

Jesus gave himself a ransom for MANY. Who are the “many” spoken of? Israel!

But a ransom for ALL was not testified until Paul proclaimed it, the revelation of the secret, which was kept secret since the world began.

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2016, 10:56:24 PM »
God did for this age, what the human race could never do on their own. Reconciliation, but does that mean the whole world is save? No!

not a Universalist btw just quoting Paul
"It is finished."

newnature

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2016, 10:59:05 PM »
not a Universalist btw just quoting Paul

None of that Universalist junk. You are quoting Paul correct.

Leonard James

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2016, 06:37:50 AM »

Which clearly would have been unnecessary if "God" hadn't been so spiteful and unjust to begin with! How do you reconcile that?