Author Topic: Original sin.  (Read 17539 times)

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Re: Original sin.
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2016, 03:25:39 PM »
Can God be ''reduced'' to being seen as Creator and Governor.
IMHO yes.

Firstly, if you are prepared to "reduce" god to that, then you have to accept that it might not be a conscious being or anything like any religious notion of god.

Secondly, we don't know that there is a (singular) creator and governor. Many laws of nature seem to have come about by spontaneous symmetry breaking - they may be no more fundamental than (say) the exact pattern of an individual snowflake.

You are, at best, making a guess that there might be a "something" that serves the role of creator and "governor".

Since the universe is the Ultimate creation whatever created it must be the ultimate creator.

How do you know either of those things? Seems to be a baseless assertion.

But there is the option of the creation of chaotic stuff....the option most likely to be caused by unconscious causation. Unconscious causation being the definition of any pre-existent unconscious nature.

This appears to be no more than guesswork and wishful thinking. What we observe (and that is all we have to go on) is that consciousness arises from the unconscious.

However we have laws and laws that are not completely unified to any piece of material. We know for example all protons are positively charged.

Laws govern material and are not subject to it and in turn the laws and materials are subject to mathematics which itself is not subject to unconscious materials in the same way.

We have therefore governance of a universe that goes with creation. If you like a provided universe, in turn provided with governance.

See above about spontaneous symmetry breaking. We simply don't know what fundamental laws exist or how universal the laws we observe may be. All you appear to be doing is rewording some unknowns in the language of conscious intent; "governance" and "provided".

At the level of consciousness there is then the question and discipline of the 'ought'.......this is an extension of Governance provided with creation ahead of the appearance of consciousness.

This hardly makes sense in English. However, we have no evidence that there is any 'ought' outside of human minds, so what your argument here is, is anybody's guess.

There we have it therefore. Creation of the ultimate and Governance of the ultimate

And that is definitionally God..............

Except you have argued for nothing at all. There may or may not be a "something" that serves as creator and "governor" and despite all the words, you have deduced preciously nothing about it, even if it does exist. Also, you have asserted but have provided no reason to think, that it (if it exists) is "ultimate" and does not, in turn, require another "something" to account for its existence.

In summary, you have added nothing to your previous position of just calling our ignorance "god".
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2016, 03:39:05 PM »
Firstly, if you are prepared to "reduce" god to that, then you have to accept that it might not be a conscious being or anything like any religious notion of god.

Secondly, we don't know that there is a (singular) creator and governor. Many laws of nature seem to have come about by spontaneous symmetry breaking - they may be no more fundamental than (say) the exact pattern of an individual snowflake.

You are, at best, making a guess that there might be a "something" that serves the role of creator and "governor".

How do you know either of those things? Seems to be a baseless assertion.

This appears to be no more than guesswork and wishful thinking. What we observe (and that is all we have to go on) is that consciousness arises from the unconscious.

See above about spontaneous symmetry breaking. We simply don't know what fundamental laws exist or how universal the laws we observe may be. All you appear to be doing is rewording some unknowns in the language of conscious intent; "governance" and "provided".

This hardly makes sense in English. However, we have no evidence that there is any 'ought' outside of human minds, so what your argument here is, is anybody's guess.

Except you have argued for nothing at all. There may or may not be a "something" that serves as creator and "governor" and despite all the words, you have deduced preciously nothing about it, even if it does exist. Also, you have asserted but have provided no reason to think, that it (if it exists) is "ultimate" and does not, in turn, require another "something" to account for its existence.

In summary, you have added nothing to your previous position of just calling our ignorance "god".
No I'm am not calling our ignorance God I am suggesting that something which creates this universe and governs it is God.

I don't understand why you continue to be so hopeless........ly confused.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2016, 03:49:55 PM »
No I'm am not calling our ignorance God I am suggesting that something which creates this universe and governs it is God.

Except you have failed even to argue that it is definitely a thing (singular) let alone that it is anything conscious or anything like any god of any religion. You seem content to let the concept of god be reduced to the point that it may well mean "physics".

But actually, since we don't know what, if anything, it is: how is it not something we are completely ignorant of? Hence, as I pointed out, you have just labelled part of human ignorance "god".

I was wondering the same about you.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Khatru

« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2016, 11:49:20 AM »

I take it that when you say "God" you are referring to the Bible god and not some other deity....for example, one of the Hindu gods?

Reason I ask is that if the above is so then you are positing two assumptions:

One -  the universe has a creator.
Two - the creator is the god you've chosen to worship and not any of the other gods.

There may be a third assumption but only if you claim that your creator being has always existed.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker