Author Topic: A Question for Christians  (Read 8878 times)

~TW~

• home sweet home
A Question for Christians
« on: April 25, 2016, 03:48:51 PM »
The one thing Christians find hard is to answer questions.Here are two questions they will all disagree with or rather not answer.So Christians have a go at these two questions.

1 When did time begin according to the bible,please give scriptures and reasons.

2 When will time end according to the bible,please give scriptures and reasons.

~TW~
Modify message
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

newnature

Re: A Question for Christians
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:18:43 PM »
The one thing Christians find hard is to answer questions.Here are two questions they will all disagree with or rather not answer.So Christians have a go at these two questions.

1 When did time begin according to the bible,please give scriptures and reasons.

~TW~
Modify message

Genesis 1:1-2a. Time began when some kind of black structure was put around the earth. “Face” in Genesis 1:2a is the figure Pleonasm or Redundancy. Where what is said is, immediately after, put in another or opposite way to make it impossible for the sense to be missed.

Time will end when the earth is not in this black structure. A new earth and new heaven. Do you think this new earth will have a core like it does now? 
2 Timothy 2:15, approved where? At the Judgement Seat of the Savior. A workman worthy of God’s praise rightly dividing the word of truth.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 09:23:31 PM »

The problem is that the informaton required to answer these questions isn't present in the Bible, so we can guess or regard the answers as non-essential to our salvation.  I prefer the latter, as I believe that best reflects Jesus' teaching on the matter.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Spud

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 09:48:11 PM »
TW,
I have a third question: why did God create midges?
The first day was about 6000 years ago, and time will end on the last day when Jesus returns.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 10:14:35 PM »
Well thank you both for your answers.It was not a trick question and is easy to answer.What surprises me is how hard Christians find the questions.

So the first question

1 When did time begin according to the bible,please give scriptures and reasons. Genesis 1v1 In the beginning,beginning is the key word time starts.

2 When will time end according to the bible,please give scriptures and reasons.  First we have John 6 39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. We have John 11 23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.

24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.. So time will end on the last day.From the last day we forward into eternity no days after the last day if we have more days it cannot be the last day.

But this does leave a problem for those who tell us a 1000 years 3650 days will follow in time measured in terms of 1000 years after the last day.There is no time in eternity.

Any comments.

~TW~
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

newnature

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:33:54 AM »
Well thank you both for your answers.It was not a trick question and is easy to answer.What surprises me is how hard Christians find the questions.

So the first question

1 When did time begin according to the bible,please give scriptures and reasons. Genesis 1v1 In the beginning,beginning is the key word time starts.

2 When will time end according to the bible,please give scriptures and reasons.  First we have John 6 39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. We have John 11 23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.

24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.. So time will end on the last day.From the last day we forward into eternity no days after the last day if we have more days it cannot be the last day.

But this does leave a problem for those who tell us a 1000 years 3650 days will follow in time measured in terms of 1000 years after the last day.There is no time in eternity.

Any comments.

~TW~

Does one know when they are in time. Genesis 1:3 is the first time someone could be aware of time, light. As the earth spins around, but the earth is not orbiting anything, its just spinning as that light is lighting only one side of the earth. Genesis 1:14 is how we keep track of time.
2 Timothy 2:15, approved where? At the Judgement Seat of the Savior. A workman worthy of God’s praise rightly dividing the word of truth.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 08:20:26 AM »
Does one know when they are in time. Genesis 1:3 is the first time someone could be aware of time, light. As the earth spins around, but the earth is not orbiting anything, its just spinning as that light is lighting only one side of the earth. Genesis 1:14 is how we keep track of time.

Are you in time.
~TW~

Bubbles

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »
So far on the thread, we have the earth which isn't orbiting anything ( not even the sun?) , which may or may not end up with a core at the centre, and comments from some chick called Martha, ( like she would know)  ::)

What has any of this to do with Christianity?

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 11:36:13 PM »
So far on the thread, we have the earth which isn't orbiting anything ( not even the sun?) , which may or may not end up with a core at the centre, and comments from some chick called Martha, ( like she would know)  ::)

What has any of this to do with Christianity?

Everything, but the thread has its answer from Spud so no more need for any more answers well done Spud.

~TW~

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 06:56:40 AM »
The first day was about 6000 years ago ...
Citation required, Spud  ;)
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 11:40:22 PM »
Citation required, Spud  ;)

The citation has been provided many times but that was not the foundation of this thread.

I would love you to discuss it on this particular page so start a thread and put your views before us.It could be good.

~TW~

Shaker

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 11:44:47 PM »
The citation has been provided many times
Where and when?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 08:50:49 AM »
Where and when?

Look for it or show it to be wrong,it is out there..

Why not ask Hope to do what I said.

~TW~

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 08:43:39 AM »

1. When God created it....

Genesis 1.

2. When God decides it is time to call his people home. When judgment time arrives.
Revelations 20
king James Bible
And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

~TW~
Modify message
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »
Look for it or show it to be wrong,it is out there..

Why not ask Hope to do what I said.

~TW~
I quite agree, ~TW~, that the fact that Spud's date for the start of time is wrong is 'out there'.  Remember that the date of 6000BC was only suggested by Bishop Ussher about 400 years ago (and almost simultaneously by a John Lightfoot).  To tell you the truth, I've never really understood how Ussher comes to the date he did, especially as reading the Old Testament indicates far more generations that could possibly have existed in that time period, and relies on the assumption that the Hebrew word translated into English as 'days' refers exclusively to a 24-hour period, and we all know that the Hebrew term had a far wider set of meanings.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 11:23:16 AM »
I quite agree, ~TW~, that the fact that Spud's date for the start of time is wrong is 'out there'.  Remember that the date of 6000BC was only suggested by Bishop Ussher about 400 years ago (and almost simultaneously by a John Lightfoot).  To tell you the truth, I've never really understood how Ussher comes to the date he did, especially as reading the Old Testament indicates far more generations that could possibly have existed in that time period, and relies on the assumption that the Hebrew word translated into English as 'days' refers exclusively to a 24-hour period, and we all know that the Hebrew term had a far wider set of meanings.

Well it might help if you tried to understand a bit more.So you tell me and I mean you------Why could it not be 6 to 10 thousand years old produce your augment.

~TW~

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 01:15:01 PM »
Well it might help if you tried to understand a bit more.So you tell me and I mean you------Why could it not be 6 to 10 thousand years old produce your augment.

~TW~
The most obvious reason is that there are historical artefacts that date from long before that time scale.  Secondly, the 'days' referred to in the creation story is a translation of the Hebrew word "י֔וֹם - yom"  In Genesis 1 alone, that word has no time (hours/minutes/seconds) context attached to it.  Hebrew attachs 5 meanings to the term -1) a period of light; 2) a period of 24 hours; 3) a general, vague time; 4) a point of time; 5) a year.

English has 14 different meanings for the word day: which fits best in this passage?

Thirdly, the language of the first 11 chapters of Genesis is very different from that of the rest of the book, and reflects Jewish thinking and language use current in the post-Babylon period.  Hence the fact that Jews since before the time of Christ and an increasing number of Christians believe that there is no historical detail in the Creation Story, the Flood story, etc., and that its importance is as a result of its theological nature.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:26:36 PM by Hope »

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »
The most obvious reason is that there are historical artefacts that date from long before that time scale.  Secondly, the 'days' referred to in the creation story is a translation of the Hebrew word "י֔וֹם - yom"  In Genesis 1 alone, that word has no time (hours/minutes/seconds) context attached to it.  Hebrew attachs 5 meanings to the term -1) a period of light; 2) a period of 24 hours; 3) a general, vague time; 4) a point of time; 5) a year.

English has 14 different meanings for the word day: which fits best in this passage?

Thirdly, the language of the first 11 chapters of Genesis is very different from that of the rest of the book, and reflects Jewish thinking and language use current in the post-Babylon period.  Hence the fact that Jews since before the time of Christ and an increasing number of Christians believe that there is no historical detail in the Creation Story, the Flood story, etc., and that its importance is as a result of its theological nature.

Hope is that it------------you really have no idea-- well it is nice to know I am not a sinner ---no Adam and Eve ---and in general God is a liar and misleads people----so Hope tells me he is a Christian --my question is why--Jesus believed in creation and the flood story so what Jesus does hope follow----not the one in the bible.

~TW~

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 01:33:19 PM »
Bless you TW.  I don't view you as a sinner any more than anyone else, ie we all do things that are wrong.  I had no idea that Hope believed the Creation story as anything more than a myth, but it isn't something Christians need to worry about, nor anyone else.    Take care of yourself.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »
Bless you TW.  I don't view you as a sinner any more than anyone else, ie we all do things that are wrong.  I had no idea that Hope believed the Creation story as anything more than a myth, but it isn't something Christians need to worry about, nor anyone else.    Take care of yourself.

Brownie this says you are wrong and Hope is as well--This is not just about how we interpret a certain portion of the Bible. The very truth of the gospel is at stake in this debate. If there was no literal Adam and Eve in a literal garden with a literal tree and a literal deceiver, and there wasn’t a literal Fall—then Jesus’ death is literally irrelevant.
~TW~

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »
OK TW.  I don't worry if people think I'm wrong.
You take care.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 04:08:54 PM »
OK TW.  I don't worry if people think I'm wrong.
You take care.
So hope fades away in his dream world and brownie is as much use as a one legged man in a bum kicking competition. :)
~TW~

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 11:53:27 PM »
Sorry if I disappointed you TW, am very tired.  I need a bit of a break from forum posting, not long I hope as I enjoy it very much, maybe a couple of days.  No point in posting if I can't think of anything to say  :D.  See you shortly, God bless.

Sassy

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 09:14:41 AM »
Brownie this says you are wrong and Hope is as well--This is not just about how we interpret a certain portion of the Bible. The very truth of the gospel is at stake in this debate. If there was no literal Adam and Eve in a literal garden with a literal tree and a literal deceiver, and there wasn’t a literal Fall—then Jesus’ death is literally irrelevant.
~TW~

As there had to be a first man and first woman hence the names in Hebrew of Adam and Eve.
God did not need to furnish us with anything but the truth.
The truth is as written in the OT. There is no myths but the word of God given to us.

Hope is wrong if he believes Adam and Eve are myths. Just as people are wrong who believe Christ is about just belief rather than the power of the Kingdom in the life of the believers today.

When man starts leaping from truth to myth he makes his downward spiral and path a lot quicker to losing faith.
It isn't flesh the human being itself which is the enemy but the lying spirits within the world which makes false that which is true. God is a God of light and truth not darkness and confusion. He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world and so we overcome the world through Christ and Gods forgiveness through him.

Being able to trust what we know about God is an integral part of our faith. If God says through Christ our sins are forgiven then there is no reason to doubt or see us forgiven as God sees us.

No one has so far shown or proven God to be a liar. Isn't that interesting?
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »
As there had to be a first man and first woman hence the names in Hebrew of Adam and Eve.
God did not need to furnish us with anything but the truth.
The truth is as written in the OT. There is no myths but the word of God given to us.

Hope is wrong if he believes Adam and Eve are myths. Just as people are wrong who believe Christ is about just belief rather than the power of the Kingdom in the life of the believers today.

When man starts leaping from truth to myth he makes his downward spiral and path a lot quicker to losing faith.
It isn't flesh the human being itself which is the enemy but the lying spirits within the world which makes false that which is true. God is a God of light and truth not darkness and confusion. He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world and so we overcome the world through Christ and Gods forgiveness through him.

Being able to trust what we know about God is an integral part of our faith. If God says through Christ our sins are forgiven then there is no reason to doubt or see us forgiven as God sees us.

No one has so far shown or proven God to be a liar. Isn't that interesting?
Well Sass I like your words  :) Hope is a mass of contradictions  ???

~TW~