Author Topic: My 'Truth' or 'YOUR 'truth'?  (Read 69941 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: My 'Truth' or 'YOUR 'truth'?
« Reply #550 on: June 02, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »
And so the argumentum ad consequentiam continues...

No for me the search for the source of moral objectivity has led me to God. I still do not have all the facts.......but then I could say that the search for the source of knowledge of matter energy has ended in science.....likewise and again I do not have all the scientific facts.........

But enough of that......In the realms of where you guys are some of your chums are in fact my chums when it comes to objective morality. Now you may have a case that Objective morality has not yet been proven but moral relativism has been fatally disproven..........and at the moment it looks as though morality is in fact objective since that is where the evidence leads.

So to sum up Moral relativism disproven, Objective morality unproven.

Anybody want to actually say anything in defence of moral relativity rather than just attack objective morality?

Thought not.

wigginhall

« Reply #551 on: June 02, 2016, 02:16:09 PM »
Because it logically offers no actual moral difference between possibilities since all moralities are equally valid.

That's just another assertion, Vlad.  You have made no actual argument.   As BR said above, the individual mind does not treat all moral positions equally.  For example, we could have capital punishment or not, but many people have a decided view on this, one way or another, and then a consensus is usually arrived at.   But note how positions change - we used to have public executions. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #552 on: June 02, 2016, 02:18:44 PM »
That's just another assertion, Vlad. 
well try it yourself. Assert that one position is correct while believing that neither nor any has any primacy over another.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #553 on: June 02, 2016, 02:21:59 PM »
That's just another assertion, Vlad.  You have made no actual argument.   As BR said above, the individual mind does not treat all moral positions equally.  For example, we could have capital punishment or not, but many people have a decided view on this, one way or another, and then a consensus is usually arrived at.   But note how positions change - we used to have public executions.
But the change is through concluding that one position was wrong...namely always wrong and therefore absolutely wrong at least in that sense.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #554 on: June 02, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »
No for me the search for the source of moral objectivity has led me to God.

Perhaps you took a wrong turn and got lost.

Anybody want to actually say anything in defence of moral relativity rather than just attack objective morality?

Thought not.

So, your suggestion is that instead of attacking your arguments we should instead* attack* defend what you imagine  are our arguments and just ignore yours - sounds like Fabian strategy to me.

Won't work (since we are experienced at evading your troops of straw men).

* typo corrected.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:44:39 PM by Gordon »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #555 on: June 02, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »
Perhaps you took a wrong turn and got lost.

So, your suggestion is that instead of attacking your arguments we should instead attack what you imagine  are our arguments and just ignore yours - sounds like Fabian strategy to me.

Eh since when has a suggestion that you defend your own argument been a suggestion that you should attack it?????

You are surely pushing the bounds of stupidity/evasion (delete as applicable).

Come on hot shot.....................defend moral relativity.

BeRational

« Reply #556 on: June 02, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »
well try it yourself. Assert that one position is correct while believing that neither nor any has any primacy over another.

Why would I do that.

I know my position on most things. Sometime a position will be posed that I have to think about and come to a decision.

It is not about stating one thing while trying to believe another, it is about weighing up consequences in your own subjective opinion.

I change my position on some moral actions as well, as I am sure lots of people do.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #557 on: June 02, 2016, 02:32:26 PM »
And again Trollboy crashes off the rails...

So to sum up Moral relativism disproven,

Asserting something doesn't disprove it. As Trollboy is incapable of it, it'd be nice if someone would at least attempt this alleged disproof by an argument rather than by just asserting it to be so.

Objective morality unproven.

Same as objective aesthetics then.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #558 on: June 02, 2016, 02:34:09 PM »
Just a quick correction for Trollboy:

"No for me the search for the source of moral objectivity has led me to a belief in God".

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #559 on: June 02, 2016, 02:38:19 PM »
And again Trollboy crashes off the rails...

Asserting something doesn't disprove it. As Trollboy is incapable of it, it'd be nice if someone would at least attempt this alleged disproof by an argument rather than by just asserting it to be so.

Same as objective aesthetics then.
There is some evidence that the required mental and physiological effect of aesthetics can be scientifically engineered........or are you suggesting there is a another dimension in aesthetics? In any case aesthetics is not morality. Careful now....you are in great danger of blowi ng your zeitgeist and consensus arguments here........just warning you about that as a friend.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #560 on: June 02, 2016, 02:40:43 PM »
Just a quick correction for Trollboy:

"No for me the search for the source of moral objectivity has led me to a belief in God".
Well as I said before Hillside I have to be where you are at the moment so if that helps and isn't just another avoidance/playing for time tactic on your part................................................

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #561 on: June 02, 2016, 02:43:14 PM »
Eh since when has a suggestion that you defend your own argument been a suggestion that you should attack it?????

You are surely pushing the bounds of stupidity/evasion (delete as applicable).

Come on hot shot.....................defend moral relativity.
Point taken - that was a typo: when re-jigging that sentence (I used 'attacking' earlier in the same sentence) I meant to say 'defend' so I'll amend the post (now done). Apologies for that.

Even so, it still seems like you were encouraging us to defend our own arguments instead of attacking yours. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:45:48 PM by Gordon »

Andy

« Reply #562 on: June 02, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »
The ultimate definition of what is Good is what promotes everyone's humanity and what is bad as that which reduces it.

Why should we value the promotion of everyone's humanity? What makes it objective?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #563 on: June 02, 2016, 02:47:16 PM »
Why should we value the promotion of everyone's humanity? What makes it objective?
That as they say is a fantastically great question.

BeRational

« Reply #564 on: June 02, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »

The answer is that I do not care about your opinion on things. I form my own subjective opinion informed by lots of things, even your input, but eventually I decide if I think something is right or wrong.

Is that what you do too?

If not, how do you decide?

Andy

« Reply #565 on: June 02, 2016, 02:49:20 PM »
Will it get an answer?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #566 on: June 02, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »
In the face of Trollboy's continued evasions, would anyone care to hazard a guess at why moral relativism might be "disproven"? So far as I can tell he starts with the odd notion that something must be absolute to be real, so - um - real morality must be objectively true then. Oddly though, he seems to think that, say, having an opinion on a piece of music being good or bad can be a real opinion without recourse to a supposed gold standard of musical worth.

So leaving aside his busted flush of an assertion, why might moral relativism be "disproven"? What I see is a world exactly as I'd expect it to look with people partially intuiting and partially reasoning their way to moral positions - probabilisitic, uncertain, messy, changeable as that might be - and living their lives accordingly. It's not so much that that's "proven" - it's just the way that it demonstrably is.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:52:26 PM by bluehillside »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #567 on: June 02, 2016, 02:53:48 PM »
Andy,

Nothing does - it was just Trollboy's turn on the assertotron.

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #568 on: June 02, 2016, 02:58:15 PM »
Will it get an answer?
yes.

Anything less than the promotion of humanity dehumanises and is therefore deemed immoral.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #569 on: June 02, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »
Andy,

yes.

Anything less than the promotion of humanity dehumanises and is therefore deemed immoral.

Trollboy meant there of course "no": just repeating his personal opinion on something doesn't magically make it objectively true. And that's before he even gets to trying to define "promotion of humanity" (such anthropocentrism!) and to telling us how he'd go about applying it - would killing the Amazonian tribe for example "promote humanity" or not according to his personal choice of a mantra I wonder?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #570 on: June 02, 2016, 03:07:55 PM »
In the face of Trollboy's continued evasions, would anyone care to hazard a guess at why moral relativism might be "disproven"? So far as I can tell he starts with the odd notion that something must be absolute to be real, so - um - real morality must be objectively true then. Oddly though, he seems to think that, say, having an opinion on a piece of music being good or bad can be a real opinion without recourse to a supposed gold standard of musical worth.

So leaving aside his busted flush of an assertion, why might moral relativism be "disproven"? What I see is a world exactly as I'd expect it to look with people partially intuiting and partially reasoning their way to moral positions - probabilisitic, uncertain, messy, changeable as that might be - and living their lives accordingly. It's not so much that that's "proven" - it's just the way that it demonstrably is.
Except that when you try to demonstrate that with your equation of morals with taste it is clear that the ''way it is'' is not how you say it is. 1) we all act like objective moralists 2) aesthetics is not morality 3) An appeal to authority in matters of art, music etc. militates against your consensus and zeitgeist assertions and that makes your ideas contradictory.

Finally why are you evading a positive defence for moral relativism? Is it finally ''The Turd that would not Buff Up''.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #571 on: June 02, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »
Andy,

Trollboy meant there of course "no": just repeating his personal opinion on something doesn't magically make it objectively true. And that's before he even gets to trying to define "promotion of humanity" (such anthropocentrism!) and to telling us how he'd go about applying it - would killing the Amazonian tribe for example "promote humanity" or not according to his personal choice of a mantra I wonder?
Pray tell me how does morality operate outside this definition.....and while you are at it tell us how morality operates within moral relativism?

BeRational

« Reply #572 on: June 02, 2016, 03:29:24 PM »
Pray tell me how does morality operate outside this definition.....and while you are at it tell us how morality operates within moral relativism?

YOU have the burden of proof as YOU say that morality is objective.

Please demonstrate this assertion, or stop asserting it.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #573 on: June 02, 2016, 03:31:14 PM »
Point taken - that was a typo: when re-jigging that sentence (I used 'attacking' earlier in the same sentence) I meant to say 'defend' so I'll amend the post (now done). Apologies for that.

Even so, it still seems like you were encouraging us to defend our own arguments instead of attacking yours.
If this turns out to be a forum where people are just interested in attacking other peoples views without feeling the need to defend their own, then as Duncan Bannatyne would say...............I'm out.

Andy

« Reply #574 on: June 02, 2016, 03:33:29 PM »
yes.

You're supposed to be answering why it is objectively moral to promote everyone's humanity. This is just going around in a circle, axiomatically stating that promoting everyone's humanity is moral therefore anything less is immoral. Try again.