Author Topic: Why bother ringing 911?  (Read 52576 times)

Spud

Re: Why bother ringing 911?
« Reply #225 on: August 05, 2016, 08:39:43 AM »
He is a Christian, but it was still a load of crazy unsubstantiated garbage! The person who told upset him in that way was condemned by other Christians who also thought that statement stupid.
It'd be difficult to comment without knowing more about this.

floo

« Reply #226 on: August 05, 2016, 08:43:06 AM »
Yes, was reading about tuberculosis and its complications last night. So apparently the infection had spread to her intestine and meninges. Perhaps the thing that made people think it was miraculous is that afterwards there was no sign that she had suffered the lesions or symptoms. If you think about how a skin lesion takes time to heal, and that afterwards you still have a visible scar, it just seems difficult to believe that the tissue damage caused by Dorothy's condition would have disappeared overnight. The fact that it did is what amazed the doctors at the time.

However amazing what has it got to do with a god which probably doesn't exist? As has been asked many times if god does exist, and did cure that woman, why the hell doesn't it cure everyone who is ill?

Spud

« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2016, 08:47:38 AM »
That's how long it takes to cause pain.
If you feel neck pain from sitting at the computer but keep on using it, that's what I mean. Or if you get stomach pain after drinking alcohol but go out the next night and drink more because you like feeling drunk.

However amazing what has it got to do with a god which probably doesn't exist? As has been asked many times if god does exist, and did cure that woman, why the hell doesn't it cure everyone who is ill?

'Probably'? Such certainty...
I said several posts back that God used Jesus' and the apostles' miracles as signs that Jesus was sent from God. This type of miracle was not intended to go on perpetually. That's Calvin's take on James 5:13-16 anyway. And it helps answer the OP.

floo

« Reply #228 on: August 05, 2016, 08:56:21 AM »
If you feel neck pain from sitting at the computer but keep on using it, that's what I mean. Or if you get stomach pain after drinking alcohol but go out the next night and drink more because you like feeling drunk.

'Probably'? Such certainty...
I said several posts back that God used Jesus' and the apostles' miracles as signs that Jesus was sent from God. This type of miracle was not intended to go on perpetually. That's Calvin's take on James 5:13-16 anyway. And it helps answer the OP.

If you harm others through you own stupidity that is of course wrong. 'Sin' is a stupid little word as it often refers to things, which no decent person would describe as wrong, like homosexuality!

You have no evidence god exists let alone what it is supposed to have done or not done

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #229 on: August 05, 2016, 08:57:47 AM »
What doesn't it have to do with a god that - in your opinion - 'probably doesn't exist' (do you actually have any evidence for that assertion?) but in others' opinion is concerned about every single human being, wants the very best for them - but also allows humans to experience the consequences of what they choose to do and believe.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

floo

« Reply #230 on: August 05, 2016, 09:02:29 AM »
What doesn't it have to do with a god that - in your opinion - 'probably doesn't exist' (do you actually have any evidence for that assertion?) but in others' opinion is concerned about every single human being, wants the very best for them - but also allows humans to experience the consequences of what they choose to do and believe.

Here we go again, you have NEVER put up any evidence, which can be verified that the less than credible Biblical god exists.  It is as credible as fairies, elves, goblins etc. It is strange you don't ask people to provide evidence they don't exist either!!!!!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »
If you harm others through you own stupidity that is of course wrong. 'Sin' is a stupid little word as it often refers to things, which no decent person would describe as wrong, like homosexuality!

You have no evidence god exists let alone what it is supposed to have done or not done
Yet, several decent people do regard homosexuality as wrong, Floo - including some who are homosexual themselves.

As for the evidence you question, you have chosen to dismiss some of the evidence that has been presented - such as the healing of Dorothy Kerin on the grounds that this can't happen from a purely human way of thining.  The problem is that you are using one set of undrstandings to dismiss a different set of understandings.  A bit like using a chemical formula to prove or disprove a physics understanding.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2016, 09:05:15 AM »
Here we go again, you have NEVER put up any evidence, which can be verified that the less than credible Biblical god exists.  It is as credible as fairies, elves, goblins etc. It is strange you don't ask people to provide evidence they don't exist either!!!!!
See my post immediately under this one.  You dismiss things without showing any evidence for that dismissal.  Simply doubting something doesn't disprove it.

Owlswing

« Reply #233 on: August 05, 2016, 09:13:56 AM »

Yet, several decent people do regard homosexuality as wrong, Floo - including some who are homosexual themselves.

Name them!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

floo

« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2016, 09:15:29 AM »

As for the evidence you question, you have chosen to dismiss some of the evidence that has been presented - such as the healing of Dorothy Kerin on the grounds that this can't happen from a purely human way of thining.  The problem is that you are using one set of undrstandings to dismiss a different set of understandings.  A bit like using a chemical formula to prove or disprove a physics understanding.

They are not decent if they regard homosexuality as wrong! It is very sad if a person regards their sexuality as wrong, no doubt it has been inbred in them though the unpleasant anti-gay mob. Oh I do  hope Jesus was gay and had an enjoyable sex life, you cant prove he wasn't!

Why can't the body heal itself? It can and it does, with no input from any god. As I have said before so may times, if the sky fairy can heal people why doesn't it get its finger out and do so all the time instead of on a whim?

Owlswing

« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2016, 09:21:09 AM »

Oh I do hope Jesus was gay and had an enjoyable sex life, you can't prove he wasn't!

Considering the (so-called) fact that he roamed around with twelve blokes who shunned the company of women and who (allegedly) spoke of their love for him and (supposedly) didn't like the presence of Mary Magdelene much I would say that it was highly likely!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #236 on: August 05, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
Considering the (so-called) fact that he roamed around with twelve blokes who shunned the company of women and who (allegedly) spoke of their love for him and (supposedly) didn't like the presence of Mary Magdelene much I would say that it was highly likely!
Evidence that they shunned the company of women, please, Owl.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #237 on: August 05, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »
Why can't the body heal itself? It can and it does, with no input from any god. As I have said before so may times, if the sky fairy can heal people why doesn't it get its finger out and do so all the time instead of on a whim?
Again, please provide evidence that the body 'can and ... does (heal itself), with no input from any god', Floo.

floo

« Reply #238 on: August 05, 2016, 09:25:10 AM »
Gay or straight I hope he enjoyed consenting rumpy pumpy, LOL!

BeRational

« Reply #239 on: August 05, 2016, 09:31:05 AM »
Again, please provide evidence that the body 'can and ... does (heal itself), with no input from any god', Floo.

We observe people get better all the time.

I have done it, and you will have too at some time.

What more do you need?

I see gullible people, everywhere!

Maeght

« Reply #240 on: August 05, 2016, 09:52:11 AM »

Is that really sin though?

Maeght

« Reply #241 on: August 05, 2016, 09:54:53 AM »
Maeght, it was her that had no detectable pulse for 8 minutes.

Where did that info come from Spud. I haven't seen mention of that in stuff I found.

Spud

« Reply #242 on: August 05, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »
If you harm others through you own stupidity that is of course wrong.
And harming oneself through stupidity is not wrong?

floo

« Reply #243 on: August 05, 2016, 11:17:26 AM »
And harming oneself through stupidity is not wrong?

Daft but not wrong if unintentional. I have unintentionally put my life in danger many a time since I first drew breath. Kicking a live grenade (I didn't realise what it was) around like a football when I was ten endangered my life, even more so because I got the thrashing to end all thrashings from my parents!

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #244 on: August 05, 2016, 11:32:10 AM »
Your parents exploded, floo!
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

floo

« Reply #245 on: August 05, 2016, 11:40:32 AM »
Your parents exploded, floo!

Too right. My mother was worried about what people might have thought if I had been killed, it was ever thus! :D

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #246 on: August 05, 2016, 12:44:18 PM »
Gordon Bennett, sounds like my mum.  Everything was bad if it in some way reflected on her.

(Apropos of nothing, Gordon Bennett was a racing driver, a fast mover for his time.  As he sped past, people would say, "That's Gordon Bennett!"!  My mum thought it was 'common' to say "Gordon Bennett"  ::) ).
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Spud

« Reply #247 on: August 05, 2016, 04:48:05 PM »
Is that really sin though?
Yes, if you don't heed warnings about such stuff.

floo

« Reply #248 on: August 05, 2016, 04:50:35 PM »
Yes, if you don't heed warnings about such stuff.

What is your definition of 'sin'?

Spud

« Reply #249 on: August 05, 2016, 04:52:13 PM »
Name them!
I know three, but am not going to name them.