Author Topic: Are we done here?  (Read 25377 times)

Gonnagle

Re: Are we done here?
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »
Dear Andy,

Plus X.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2016, 02:49:28 PM »
...what is the Universe?

This can actually be answered in a number of ways but most obviously along the lines of: all of space-time and the stuff that resides therein.

The main thing about the universe, though, is that we all live there and share the experience. It is intersubjective.

God is the Universe...

So what's the point of the word "God"?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Gonnagle

« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2016, 02:54:03 PM »
Dear Stranger,

It only has three letters, I am a man of small words, Love, Hate, Joy, small words that mean lots of things, just like God.

Gonnagle.

PS: I forgot Faith and Hope. ;)

Stranger

« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2016, 03:05:14 PM »
It only has three letters, I am a man of small words, Love, Hate, Joy, small words that mean lots of things, just like God.

As far as I can see "God" means so many different, and often contradictory things, that, without explanation, it actually means nothing at all...

Gonnagle

« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2016, 03:07:50 PM »
Dear Stranger,

As far as I can see "God" means so many different, and often contradictory things, that, without explanation, it actually means nothing at all...

Oooh! that is like saying Beetlejuice three times, it conjures up a Wigginhall. :o

Gonnagle.

Leonard James

« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »

Quite! Everybody is trying to say what he thinks "God" is, and the fact that nobody really knows the answer (if there is one) doesn't seem to enter their minds.

Gonnagle

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2016, 03:22:41 PM »
Dear Leonard,

God is a Leonard James post laced with visions of Beckham, God is not visions of his good lady Victoria, poor Lass needs a good feed. ???

Gonnagle.

Leonard James

« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2016, 03:31:41 PM »
Dear Leonard,

God is a Leonard James post laced with visions of Beckham, God is not visions of his good lady Victoria, poor Lass needs a good feed. ???

Gonnagle.

"God" is anything you like to say he is. Don't let the fact that nobody knows anything about him stop you!  :)

floo

« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2016, 03:45:47 PM »
My creation of god has to listen to me witter on and not answer back. :D

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2016, 04:41:12 PM »

Then you are left with Kierkegaard's leap of faith, or maybe leap to faith,  I was looking for an incomprehensible quotation from him, but most of them are.

Here's a comprehensible one which gave me a chuckle:

The lowest depth to which people can sink before God is defined by the word 'journalist'. If I were a father and had a daughter who was seduced I should despair over her; I would hope for her salvation. But if I had a son who became a journalist and continued to be one for five years, I would disown him.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »
Dear Stranger,

Gonnagle.

PS: I forgot Faith and Hope. ;)

Don't you like big girls - what about Charity?
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2016, 05:28:59 PM »
Rose,

Well, this atheist at least thinks that there are no arguments for a 'true for you too" god that aren't logically fallacious, and that that is the case for everyone - that is, there aren't logically sound arguments for a "true for you too" god that are available to theists, but that they've kept to themselves. 

So now we've got that out of the way Hillside.
Your conclusion that the universe is God free is about as useful as the term Goddidit...................unless you actually want to suggest something instead of naysaying everything............

Mind you it would help if we actually knew what your knock down argument for GodFree was.

Shaker

« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2016, 05:31:11 PM »
Your conclusion that the universe is God free is about as useful as the term Goddidit...................unless you actually want to suggest something instead of naysaying everything............

Mind you it would help if we actually knew what your knock down argument for GodFree was.
Vlad - burden of proof; burden of proof - Vlad.

I'm sure you two will have lots to talk about - have a Twiglet or two. Vol-au-vents later.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2016, 05:32:39 PM »
Re: Post one.

Hope: Hopeless (and I really do mean hopeless logic + lies).

Sassy: Lie: as long as it defends a believer.

Vlad: Watch out for all the straw. Basically you either agree with me or you are lying to yourself (AKA God Dodger).

I am certainly done around here (For the time being).
Great......so any antitheism that possesses any faults is a strawman now is it?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2016, 05:34:17 PM »
Vlad - burden of proof; burden of proof - Vlad.

I'm sure you two will have lots to talk about - have a Twiglet or two. Vol-au-vents later.
I think a God free universe is a positive enough assertion to warrant a burden of proof.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2016, 05:40:31 PM »
Bet we're not going to be told what these supposedly are ...
Well, you've listed them often enough, Shakes.  Perhaps you need to review your own posts, rather than asking others to precis them.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2016, 05:56:38 PM »
My creation of god has to listen to me witter on and not answer back. :D

I am in sympathy with that concept floo  :D.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Shaker

« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2016, 06:10:33 PM »
Well, you've listed them often enough, Shakes.
News to me. So remind me of what, according to you, these "'stories' that the naturalistic arguments are based on" are. Which 'stories'? What are they? And where, specifically, have I listed them?

Let me guess - they'll be in hiding along with (as per yet another of your assertions) all those occasions when, as asserted by you, I've used the negative proof fallacy more than you have (as though that was humanly possible ...).

Evidence for which claim still mysteriously unforthcoming nearly a year on.
Perhaps you need to review your own posts, rather than asking others to precis them.
I'm asking you to substantiate your assertion.

The exemplar of the phrase 'hiding to nothing', admittedly ...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:40:50 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Stranger

« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
I think a God free universe is a positive enough assertion to warrant a burden of proof.

Vlad, for goodness sake give the world's stock of straw a chance to recover! Saying that "there are no arguments for a 'true for you too' god that aren't logically fallacious" is not the same as saying that there is a "god free universe".

This looks like a reasonable introduction to logic, why not take the trouble to learn something?
http://www.utm.edu/staff/jfieser/class/120/9-logic.htm

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2016, 06:23:21 PM »
So now we've got that out of the way Hillside.

In which Trollboy posts a mistake of such buttock-clenching doziness that even an ISIS guerilla rolling out the fuse wire to the detonator prior to blowing up the dirty mags shop would roll his one good eye and mutter, "Oh gawd he hasn't made the old "no evidence for god = god free" cock up again has he? Again? Jeez, this guy really is giving even us jihadist theists a bad name in the thinking straight game..."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:21:25 PM by bluehillside »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Sassy

« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2016, 12:41:40 PM »
There are some people who think there to be a "God", and some of them think too that they've been contacted by this deity. Some of these people think that their convictions about this are not only personal opinions, but also are reliable guides to objective truths for the rest of us if only we could see it.

Moreover, on the basis of these opinions some of these people think their beliefs should be afforded special respect, and that their institutions should enjoy various privileges in the public domain.

In the course of countless exchanges here many theists have been asked for a method to distinguish their personal beliefs from just guessing about stuff so that the rights and privileges they arrogate to themselves can be evaluated, yet - so far as I recall - none has either offered a method or has offered a method that doesn't collapse very quickly when it's examined with reasoned argument.

Is that it then? Are we done here? Fun as it may be discussing personal opinions and fascinating as some of the byways can be, the core premise of "my god is your god too" seems to be a busted flush – or at least it is insofar as no-one here is able cogently to argue for it.

What then is there left to talk about instead?

And some people who claim not to believe that the deity exists wastes an awful lot of time spouting nonsense and trying to look clever when in fact it just shows how ignorant and unfounded their words really are because they spout about proof but cannot provide any to support themselves.

Guess you were done before you got started. A bit of a kid thinking they have knowledge to prove no God.
All words and bluster without one shred of evidence to support his words.
That is the basic point between you and GOD,. Gods words come true. A messiah...Jesus Christ.... and you, you are all bluster our words cannot come true and you cannot prove your claims.

We are done here...well, at least you are.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2016, 12:50:32 PM »
Sassy,

And some people who claim not to believe that the deity exists wastes an awful lot of time spouting nonsense and trying to look clever when in fact it just shows how ignorant and unfounded their words really are because they spout about proof but cannot provide any to support themselves.

Guess you were done before you got started. A bit of a kid thinking they have knowledge to prove no God.
That is the basic point between you and GOD,. Gods words come true. A messiah...Jesus Christ.... and you, you are all bluster our words cannot come true and you cannot prove your claims.

So, rambling incoherence aside, do you finally have anything to say to the question that's actually being asked? What method would you propose to take you from your subjective opinion about "God" to a fact for the rest of us too without collapsing straight back into the circularity of your standard "the Bible is accurate because God made it so/God exists because the Bible says so" response? 

God

floo

« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2016, 02:18:23 PM »

What real evidence do you have god exists, the Bible is NOT evidence?

Sassy

« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2016, 02:52:05 PM »
Sassy,

So, rambling incoherence aside, do you finally have anything to say to the question that's actually being asked? What method would you propose to take you from your subjective opinion about "God" to a fact for the rest of us too without collapsing straight back into the circularity of your standard "the Bible is accurate because God made it so/God exists because the Bible says so" response?

Is that ALL you have?
Come back when you have something plausible to offer.
A little kid whose trying to be an adult and failing so miserably.
Rather immature trash by all accounts.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »
Sassy,

Is that ALL you have?
Come back when you have something plausible to offer.
A little kid whose trying to be an adult and failing so miserably.
Rather immature trash by all accounts.

It was just a question. I'll take your reply as a "no" then.

God