Author Topic: Are we done here?  (Read 25383 times)

Sebastian Toe

Re: Are we done here?
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2016, 07:11:06 PM »
Some, but not all - but then, I'm not sure exactly what political topics the 50+ groups prayed for at the time.  If conversations I had regarding the Scottish Referendum that followed a month or two later reflected the views of church members, and they prayed for that, then you could probably answer that topic in the affirmative.
Are you saying that the result of the Scottish referendum was due to your group praying for that outcome?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2016, 07:13:55 PM »
Some, but not all - but then, I'm not sure exactly what political topics the 50+ groups prayed for at the time.  If conversations I had regarding the Scottish Referendum that followed a month or two later reflected the views of church members, and they prayed for that, then you could probably answer that topic in the affirmative.

Are they praying for a result on Thursday?
What is it, so I can nip off to the bookies for a big punt!?  ::)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

jjohnjil

« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2016, 07:17:19 PM »
Hope

God is certainly an egoistic deity, isn't he?  Of all the millions he allows to die of the dreaded C, he cures one because your church gathered round and asked him to.  Does he work it like a lottery, answering one prayer in a hundred or what?  I'm sure every week you pray for someone or other and yet, over the years, this is the only one you care to relate to us. 

There should be hundreds by now - unless it's pure co-incidence, of course.

john

« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2016, 07:22:54 PM »
Hope

stop making things up and open your eyes to the truth

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/04.06/05-prayer.html

It is a fact that people who knew they were being prayed for did less well than those that weren't.

Researchers think one of the reasons for this might be the extra anxiety knowing they were prayed for put on them.

The truth is out there just listen to it!

Then Google "Faith Healing Success rates at Lourdes" there are hundreds of articles none of which support your lies.
"Try again. Fail again. Fail Better". Samuel Beckett

wigginhall

« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »
God isn't just egotistic, but mean.  He is supposed to heal one person with cancer, but apparently neglects thousands of others, not to mention those with ebola, zika, and so on.   I guess they didn't pray hard enough. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Rhiannon

« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2016, 07:49:44 PM »
God isn't just egotistic, but mean.  He is supposed to heal one person with cancer, but apparently neglects thousands of others, not to mention those with ebola, zika, and so on.   I guess they didn't pray hard enough.

Unrepented sin/ Satan leading them astray/ all part of god's plan etc etc etc.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2016, 08:08:04 PM »
Hope,

I do love the way that you and others use the fancy terms, possibly because they give you that sense of superiority - …

Ah, the old “Get you an' yer fancy edumacation” defence eh?” Look, it’s simple enough – logically false arguments are always wrong arguments, and when you collapse into them all that’s necessary therefore it to show that they are logically false. It happened that in this case the mistake has a name – “reification” – which I mentioned deliberately in parenthesis so as not to deflect from the central point.

Why then focus on the terminology rather than address where you went off the rails? 

…but as I've already said, you can use the rules of soccer to referee a rugby match, but you'll end up with a wonderful mess of a game.

And as I’ve already explained that’s an entirely false analogy because all parties agree that both rugby and soccer exist. You on the other hand have all your work ahead of you still finally to demonstrate that “the supernatural” exists at all, and moreover (also finally) to propose a method to test that claim.

I've used several examples of events and situations that don't fit the scientific methodology over the months I've been a member of the board, and haven't yet seen an answer that deals with them satisfactorily.

That’s not true. “Satisfactorily” in this case means “to my, Hope’s, satisfaction” but you need at least a basic grounding in science (and maths and logic too) to grasp whether the explanations are in fact “satisfactory” within the context of the various methods these disciplines bring to the table.

If on the other hand you want to abandon those disciplines in favour of – well, what? Anecdote? Assertion? Wishful thinking? – then finally propose a method to allow your claims to be examined and tested.   

Most of the time the argument from your side of the debate has been opinion, as opposed to concrete evidence, meaning that they are no more valid than anyone else's posts.

Also not true. “Evidence” is for the person making the claim (that’s called the “burden of proof” by the way), and you should no more demand from me evidence to disprove your conjecture about “God” than I should demand from you evidence that disproved my claim about pixies (you favourite negative proof fallacy in other words).

Oh, and arguments that are logically robust are qualitatively “more valid” than whatever pops into your head pending a method of any kind to validate it, unless you really want to allow in too whatever pops into anyone else’s heads – about anything – on the same epistemic footing as your “God”.   

I'll just give one example here: the issue of right and wrong. Science doesn't deal in that aspect of real life (and lest you want to disagree with that, I'm only repeating what many people here and within scientific fields have said); generally, the idea is judged by personal opinion and social custom.

Depends what you mean by “deals with”. Science does deal some aspects of “right and wrong” – by mapping for example the parts of the brain that “light up” when dealing with moral questions, especially when those question are complex and different parts of the brain are involved.

If though you mean something more like, ”science can’t tell us what’s right and what’s wrong” then yes, but so what? “Right” and “wrong” are judgments, and we exercise a mix of instinct and opinion about these matters to the best of our abilities but with no claim to objective truths. They are in other words what we make them (which is why they can change so much over time for example) whereas an apple will always fall to the ground regardless of the opinions of the person dropping it, and regardless of when in history they happen to do it. 

Whereas you dispute that reality goes beyond the sceintific realm, as it were.  Do you have any evidence for that claim.

It’s not my claim. Rather the “claim” – which in this case happens to factually true – is that, so far at least, no-one has managed to provide a coherent argument to indicate that there is a “reality beyond the scientific” (whatever that means). That’s not to say that there necessarily isn’t one – that would be overreaching – but it is to say that no-one been able to demonstrate it, or even for that matter to define what they mean by it. That is, the assertion "supernatural" is “not even wrong”.

Remember that this isn't a fallacious argument on my part…

Yes it is – it’s a straw man in fact.

…because I have used said examoples in the past which have yet to be refuted.

None that I’m aware of. The only examples I’ve seen you attempt have been so riddled with bad thinking as to be effectively self-refuting. If though you seriously think you have a non-refutable example, then by all means post it here.

You are claiming that aspects of life and reality that go beyond the scientific realm - which include the supernatural - don't really exist.

Again, no: what I’m claiming is that there’s no reason to think that they do exist – a very different thing.

You now need to provide evidence to that effect.

Evidence for your straw man version of what I do say?

Nope. As ever if you seriously think there to be an interventionist “God” then the burden of proof remains with you.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:20:29 PM by bluehillside »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2016, 08:15:42 PM »
Hope,

OK, lets look at that suggestion.  About 2 years ago, one of the members of the church I attend was diagnosed with cancer and given 2 - 4 weeks to live. She was placed on a palliative regime of medication, with no attempt to treat the condition.  At the morning service the next Sunday, the congregation - about 200-225 strong that day - was asked to get into groups of 4 or 5 and to pray for her and a number of other issues that concerned the church (including the global political situation of the time).  Which of your 'all sorts of organisations' would have kept records of that, I wonder.

Not only did the lady concerned have a clean bill of health in a subsequent check-up when she had lived beyond the 2-4 weeks period, but she is still alive and a recent check-up confirmed that she was still clear.  I accept that, as with many conditions, a complete recovery may well be impossible, hence the phrase 'being in remission' or 'recovering' as in conditions such as alcoholism.  That doesn't mean that healing/spontaneous recovery hasn't taken place, especially when 2-4 weeks turns into 2 years and still going strong.

Can I suggest a book that'll explain better than I can why your thinking here is so catastrophically wrong? Try Jordan Ellenberg's "How Not to be Wrong: The Hidden Maths of Everyday Life".

It's very readable, and it deals very well with the mistakes you keep making when you seek to generalise from the anecdotal. The clue if that very surprising things happen all the time - looking at them from the wrong end of the telescope and ignoring the remainder of the sample that did not get better is leading you astray (as indeed is failing to grasp the basic maths involved).

God

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2016, 07:25:53 AM »
Was there a favourable outcome regarding the 'global political situation of the time'?

...and if they'd prayed for the opposite, then you would conclude that prayer doesn't work after all? Likewise if the woman with cancer had sadly not recovered? How many times have you prayed for sick people who have not 'miraculously' recovered?

What is blindingly obvious to those of us on the outside of all this, is that no matter what actually happens, those who believe in prayer will go on thinking it has results (all the lame excuses like 'no' being an answer and god knowing best).

It is a blind belief that is totally impervious to anything at all that might actually happen. It is deeply sad to see humans trapped by such nonsense...
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2016, 07:58:26 AM »
...and if they'd prayed for the opposite, then you would conclude that prayer doesn't work after all?
As I said, conversations I had with folk in the church suggested that a large majority were for Scotland to remain in the UK (albeit the fact that we had no say in the matter).  If they prayed for that outcome, then I'd say that there was a favourable one.

Likewise if the woman with cancer had sadly not recovered? How many times have you prayed for sick people who have not 'miraculously' recovered?
Surprisingly few.  For instance, once peole reach their 80s and 90s, we often don't pray for them to be returned to the level of health they enjoyed when they were 40, because we acknowledge that at 80 or 90 they are coming towards the end of life.  Prayers are therefore for other matters, such as peace, pain reduction, an understanding perhaps even reconciliation within the family, and - in many cases that is as much a matter of healing as is the medical type.

What is blindingly obvious to those of us on the outside of all this, is that no matter what actually happens, those who believe in prayer will go on thinking it has results (all the lame excuses like 'no' being an answer and god knowing best).
Whereas those on the 'inside' to use your terminology will continue to see those on the 'outside' use terminology like 'spontaneous recovery' as euphemisms for recoveries that neither they, nor science, can explain.  Its all a bit like avoiding the iussue.

It is a blind belief that is totally impervious to anything at all that might actually happen. It is deeply sad to see humans trapped by such nonsense...
And, of course, you have large amounts of evidence that aren't tainted by the Hawthorne Effect to show that nothing ever happens.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2016, 08:17:22 AM »
As I said, conversations I had with folk in the church suggested that a large majority were for Scotland to remain in the UK (albeit the fact that we had no say in the matter).  If they prayed for that outcome, then I'd say that there was a favourable one.

As I said when you mentioned this nonsense yesterday you clearly don't understand the difference between cause and effect and association.

Surprisingly few.  For instance, once peole reach their 80s and 90s, we often don't pray for them to be returned to the level of health they enjoyed when they were 40, because we acknowledge that at 80 or 90 they are coming towards the end of life.  Prayers are therefore for other matters, such as peace, pain reduction, an understanding perhaps even reconciliation within the family, and - in many cases that is as much a matter of healing as is the medical type.
Whereas those on the 'inside' to use your terminology will continue to see those on the 'outside' use terminology like 'spontaneous recovery' as euphemisms for recoveries that neither they, nor science, can explain.  Its all a bit like avoiding the iussue.

What issue, since all we see here is just your imprecise anecdotal rambling.

And, of course, you have large amounts of evidence that aren't tainted by the Hawthorne Effect to show that nothing ever happens.

Now the 'Hawthorne Effect' is something I'm familiar with, since my own research work involved direct observation, and is something that dates from research conducted in the early part of the last century. Do you really think that researchers working to academic standards aren't aware of it when they design their research methods?

However, since you mention it now, on what basis have you determined that it has 'tainted' anything specific, since to make this claim you'd need to have some specific critiques of the methods used in specific studies - so what are these? If you can't support your criticism with these details then you are in effect accusing unnamed researchers of incompetence, and in doing so you are revealing your own!

My money is on you flying a kite about something you really don't understand in the hope that nobody notices, the problem being that some here do have practical experience in these areas (such as research methods) and can easily spot your ill-informed amateur fumblings.   
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 08:40:10 AM by Gordon »

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2016, 08:50:36 AM »

You didn't answer my question. You seem perfectly happy to think that if what is prayed for happens, then it's a demonstration of prayer working but seem unable to comprehend that, if it doesn't happen, then it's an example of prayer not working.

You can't claim one as evidence and dismiss the other.

Evasion again. Either your prayers have a perfect success rate (in which case, I suggest praying for a cure for cancer for everyone, rather than just one person) or there will be occasions where what you prayed for didn't happen.

Individual anecdotes are meaningless as evidence. That's why drugs have to go through proper placebo controlled, randomized trials. As has been pointed out, prayer doesn't work when subjected to proper testing.

Any quackery you care to mention will be supported by some anecdotes of 'miraculous' recovery.

It's not avoiding the issue at all. There are some things we don't understand. What you are totally failing to do is offer a credible explanation yourself. You have established no link to prayer or 'divine intervention'.

You are totally missing the point. It isn't that nothing ever happens, it does (unexpected things happen), but we have no evidence that prayer makes any difference at all.

The point I was actually making is that you will interpret anything as an answer. Hence your refusal even to contemplate that a prayer that doesn't have the desired outcome would be just as much evidence that prayer doesn't work as your anecdotes are that it does.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2016, 09:17:47 AM »
Hope,

Just to note that this is very, very bad thinking. Science has always included "don't knows" when that's the honest answer - but that says nothing to whatever you may want to drop in as an explanation instead. Your effort ("Mrs X was poorly, the doctors said she was done for, we prayed, Mrs X got better, therefore god") is the epistemological equivalent of a norse man saying, "we heard thunder, science can't explain it, therefore Thor".

You're still struggling badly too with the idea that very unusual things happen all the time. If you shuffle a deck of cards and deal it randomly, the chances of that particular sequence occurring is 52! (ie, 52 factorial) - an unimaginably huge number. Yet decks of cards are dealt all the time with just that unlikelihood of outcome!

If though you were to say something like, "we prayed for this sequence of cards before the hand was dealt and that's what we got" you'd still have further issues to address, but the facts would at least merit some attention. What you actually do though is post rationalise - you tell us after the event of the outcome you desired and just ignore the countless times other people with the same diagnosis were also prayed for but did not get better.     

Suppose for example that at great expense I set up a website that claimed that, provided you sent me ten pounds and danced round your living room naked with a stick of rhubarb up your fundament, you'd come into an unexpected inheritance. Provided enough people did it, the chances are that one of them would come into an unexpected inheritance - only of course that would have happened anyway. It gets worse than that though: guess who will post his testimonial on my website? Yup, the chap who got the inheritance - rhubarbupmebumworks!524 would tell us it's a terrific scheme, and many visitors to the site who read that would never stop to think of the 999,999 who'd ruined a perfectly good crop of rhubarb but had inherited nothing. The tenners would be rolling in after that!

To put it bluntly, by sharing your anecdote you are rhubarbupmebumworks!524.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:36:25 PM by bluehillside »

God

Shaker

« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2016, 12:09:32 PM »
Hope,

Just to note that this is very, very bad thinking. Science has always included "don't knows" when that's the honest answer - but that says nothing whatever to whatever you may want to drop in as an explanation instead. Your effort ("Mrs X was poorly, the doctors said she was done for, we prayed, Mrs X got better, therefore god") is the epistemological equivalent of a norse man saying, "we heard thunder, science can't explain it, therefore Thor".
Superb analogy ;D

As for the rest of your typically excellent post, bluey, great work but wasted. Fallacious reasoning is so deeply ingrained in Hope that he either can't break out of it or simply doesn't care that he rolls out one fallacy after another almost every post.

I still haven't decided which.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »
Hi Shakes,

Superb analogy ;D

As for the rest of your typically excellent post, bluey, great work but wasted. Fallacious reasoning is so deeply ingrained in Hope that he either can't break out of it or simply doesn't care that he rolls out one fallacy after another almost every post.

I still haven't decided which.

You're far too kind my friend. As for Hope and his fellow fallacy fans, I've posted this before but I've concluded that the truth is that they just don't care. Not a jot. No matter how bad the argument – and no matter how often the badness is explained to them – they post the fallacies over and over again nonetheless. See, they know - really, really know - that their conjectures must also be facts because, well, they just must be, so what does it matter that the arguments to validate that claim are all broken?

Of course it matters a great deal to those they hope to persuade, but for themselves - nah. Pretty much any fallacy you can think of will populate the playbook with not a care for how that fatally undermines their position, so round and round we go.

Fun innit?   

God

Maeght

« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »

Why would God intervene in the Scottish Referendum due to a small group of people praying for it?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2016, 02:14:22 PM »
Maeght,

Why would God intervene in the Scottish Referendum due to a small group of people praying for it?

Presumably because "He" isn't a democrat? 

God

jjohnjil

« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2016, 02:28:37 PM »
Maeght,

And "He" definitely can't be an Englishman!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2016, 02:40:31 PM »
Hi jj,

And "He" definitely can't be an Englishman!

Or at least not a stubborn one. It's such a strange notion isn't it - a God who knows everything, can do anything and must behave morally well can be persuaded to change his mind provided the right pleas and propitiations are made. It also seems pretty unfair to me - why when the other candidates are as (or even more) deserving would this god favour someone else in the running race or the job interview just because that person went on bended knee to tip the outcome in his favour?

Weird.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:46:02 PM by bluehillside »

God

Maeght

« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
Maeght,

:)

john

« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2016, 03:39:43 PM »
Bluehillside

Thunder = Thor

Ruhbarbupthebumworks524

Brilliant mate..... Cant do smileys
"Try again. Fail again. Fail Better". Samuel Beckett

SusanDoris

« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »
I bet there's a you tube somewhere with a comic view of God's opinions on the EU referendum! The discussion on SofF has been serious, sensible and interesting, so I have refrained from asking what God advises!!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

jjohnjil

« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »
Hi jj,

Or at least not a stubborn one. It's such a strange notion isn't it - a God who knows everything, can do anything and must behave morally well can be persuaded to change his mind provided the right pleas and propitiations are made. It also seems pretty unfair to me - why when the other candidates are as (or even more) deserving would this god favour someone else in the running race or the job interview just because that person went on bended knee to tip the outcome in his favour?

Weird.

Hi Blue

I'm beginning to see God as a lesser Donald Trump!

Bow down to him and he might do you a favour ... on the other hand though ....

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2016, 04:58:02 PM »

So if the decision to remain in the UK was a result of God intervening as a result of prayer, how exactly did God achieve this?

Did he alter the positions of the crosses on the ballot sheets after they had been placed in the box?

Did he change peoples minds?

Did he equip the stay politicians with better debating skill or arguments than they would have had if he had not intervened?

It is a very interesting question because in the first case he would have committed electoral fraud. In the second case he deprived people of their free will (not something I necessarily accept exists), that is usually trotted out by theists as a defence for the problem of evil. In the third case why not pray for all atheist to become believers, then he can implant the knowledge of his existence into our minds in the same way that he placed better arguments in the minds of the stay advocates'.

Or is there some other option?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2016, 08:33:31 PM »
Hope,

Incidentally, if you do read the book I recommended to you you'll understand the terms "null hypothesis" and "p values" that Stephen referred to, and hopefully too therefore you'll see why they demolish your attempt to use personal anecdote to derive universal truths.

God