Author Topic: Are we done here?  (Read 25369 times)

SwordOfTheSpirit

Re: Are we done here?
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2016, 04:16:14 PM »
Hi Sword, welcome to the RE Forum.
Thank you.  8)

Have a look at :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof

The claim that there is a god is a positive claim requiring justification.  All we get is anecdotes, assertions and fallacious arguments, none of which would stand up as justification in any other context.  Your attempt to reverse the burden of proof is merely a sleight of hand, and it won't wash around here.

I was merely suggesting an alternative approach. If a statement xyz is true, then one can either try and demonstrate it directly (what I assume all the Christians who have been posting here have tried to do), or show that the converse is false. Since it appears that not a single post by any other Christian who has been posting here since this forum's inception has had any real breakthrough, I'm taking a different approach.

The problem as I see it is in the approach being taken: If one takes a scientific approach then the worldview used assumes natural causes and explanations. How can such a worldview then be used to examine evidence of a non-natural cause? So I'm not attempting to reverse the burden of proof, I'm asking that your worldview be subject to the same criteria that you are expecting from those of religious belief. If your worldview could be proven, there would be no need for any religious belief; end of debate. Since your worldview is not proven, it should at least be falsifiable, and faith is required to hold to it.

The worldview used is based on a naturalistic philosophy. So when anything is presented that contradicts it, it must be disproved. That's the problem, and that is why I've suggested an alternative approach. The reality is that both sides are doing the same thing; presenting their case using their worldviews and seeking to disprove anything that contradicts it. That is why no progress is being made, and indeed cannot be made.
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2016, 05:14:07 PM »
Sword,

I was merely suggesting an alternative approach. If a statement xyz is true, then one can either try and demonstrate it directly (what I assume all the Christians who have been posting here have tried to do), or show that the converse is false.

Provided that is the statement is a coherent one. The conjecture “God” is incoherent, so ignosticism is a legitimate response.

Anyways…   

Since it appears that not a single post by any other Christian who has been posting here since this forum's inception has had any real breakthrough, I'm taking a different approach.

Well, that could be because the proposition isn’t true at all of course but I’m all for a different approach. Go for it! 

The problem as I see it is in the approach being taken: If one takes a scientific approach then the worldview used assumes natural causes and explanations.

But that’s a problem for the theist rather than for the sceptical enquirer. If the former doesn’t want to take a naturalistic approach, then it’s for him to propose another method to distinguish his claims from just guessing about stuff. Many here have been asked for it, but none has been forthcoming

How can such a worldview then be used to examine evidence of a non-natural cause? So I'm not attempting to reverse the burden of proof,…

Actually that’s exactly what you were doing, but let’s start fresh nonetheless… 

I'm asking that your worldview be subject to the same criteria that you are expecting from those of religious belief. If your worldview could be proven, there would be no need for any religious belief; end of debate. Since your worldview is not proven, it should at least be falsifiable, and faith is required to hold to it.

What do you mean here by “worldview”, and in what way is it not “proven”? I would say for example that the naturalistic worldview could be shown to be more reliably true than the non-naturalistic one when the former posits leaving a tall building by a lift and the latter by jumping out of the window. Just try each one (I’d suggest the lift option first) and then compare notes. 

The worldview used is based on a naturalistic philosophy. So when anything is presented that contradicts it, it must be disproved. That's the problem, and that is why I've suggested an alternative approach. The reality is that both sides are doing the same thing; presenting their case using their worldviews and seeking to disprove anything that contradicts it. That is why no progress is being made, and indeed cannot be made.

No, that’s not the problem at all. The naturalistic “worldview” is investigable and testable by reference to the world as it appears to be (see above). Your problem here is that I can line up before breakfast ten people, each with different “worldviews”: one believes in the Christian god; the next believes in the Roman gods; the next believes in leprechauns; then next believes the royal family to be shape-shifting lizards; the next etc. None of them believe in the worldviews of any of the others, yet all insist their claims to be true for me too on the basis of their personal faith.   

How then would you propose that I distinguish the claims of any one of them from any other?

And that’s the real problem. You're asking us just to adopt the un-evidenced and un-argued worldview of the proponent of a non-natural something, and moreover to pick one from the bewildering variety of options available with no means of any kind to distingsuish between them.   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

torridon

« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2016, 08:23:42 AM »
Thank you.  8)

I was merely suggesting an alternative approach. If a statement xyz is true, then one can either try and demonstrate it directly (what I assume all the Christians who have been posting here have tried to do), or show that the converse is false. Since it appears that not a single post by any other Christian who has been posting here since this forum's inception has had any real breakthrough, I'm taking a different approach.

The problem as I see it is in the approach being taken: If one takes a scientific approach then the worldview used assumes natural causes and explanations. How can such a worldview then be used to examine evidence of a non-natural cause? So I'm not attempting to reverse the burden of proof, I'm asking that your worldview be subject to the same criteria that you are expecting from those of religious belief. If your worldview could be proven, there would be no need for any religious belief; end of debate. Since your worldview is not proven, it should at least be falsifiable, and faith is required to hold to it.

Using the term 'worldview' is blurring an otherwise straightforward point of logic.  'Worldviews' can be neither proved nor disproved, they defy easy definition, tending to be an amalgam of personal prejudices and dispositions. Formal logic however is not personal, 2 plus 2 still equals 4 even on a bad hair day or in the centre of the sun, and likewise the burden of proof still lies with the maker of a positive claim, as it is unreasonable to expect sceptics to prove the negative.  If I go to Devon on holiday and see a golden eagle, I take photo as evidence to back up my claim, I do not expect my disbelieving ornithologist colleagues to set off with cameras to monitor all parts of Devon 24/7 to prove the continuous absence of eagles.  Likewise with the existence of God it is not reasonable or practical or feasible for sceptics to prove the non-existence of God, it is up to those who claim existence to justify that claim.  And in my experience, attempts at justification are usually claims of personal experience, which cannot be shared. There is no photo of an eagle, there is nothing obective.  What exactly would my local ornithology club make of a continuous stream of thousands of people claiming to have seen eagles in Devon and yet not even one of them can ever produce a single photo to prove it ? They'd think something seriously fishy was going on.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2016, 11:21:38 AM »
Sword,

Provided that is the statement is a coherent one. The conjecture “God” is incoherent
And in that one statement Hillside shuts down all argument........

..........Funny he is never done though.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2016, 11:39:50 AM »
Using the term 'worldview' is blurring an otherwise straightforward point of logic.  'Worldviews' can be neither proved nor disproved, they defy easy definition, tending to be an amalgam of personal prejudices and dispositions. Formal logic however is not personal, 2 plus 2 still equals 4 even on a bad hair day or in the centre of the sun, and likewise the burden of proof still lies with the maker of a positive claim, as it is unreasonable to expect sceptics to prove the negative.  If I go to Devon on holiday and see a golden eagle, I take photo as evidence to back up my claim, I do not expect my disbelieving ornithologist colleagues to set off with cameras to monitor all parts of Devon 24/7 to prove the continuous absence of eagles.  Likewise with the existence of God it is not reasonable or practical or feasible for sceptics to prove the non-existence of God, it is up to those who claim existence to justify that claim.  And in my experience, attempts at justification are usually claims of personal experience, which cannot be shared. There is no photo of an eagle, there is nothing obective.  What exactly would my local ornithology club make of a continuous stream of thousands of people claiming to have seen eagles in Devon and yet not even one of them can ever produce a single photo to prove it ? They'd think something seriously fishy was going on.
Oh dear.

equating logic and reason with atheism again?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2016, 02:05:51 PM »
Vlad,

And in that one statement Hillside shuts down all argument........

..........Funny he is never done though.

If you think you do have a coherent definition of your god, by all means share it. A Templeton prize may well await you if you manage it.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
Vlad,

Oh dear.

One leads unavoidably to the other. If though you seriously think there to be a cogent argument in reason or logic for "God", by all means be the first to share it.

I'll alert the Templeton Prize Committee again just in case your previous definitional effort fails.   

God

torridon

« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2016, 02:49:31 PM »
Oh dear.

Is it even possible to believe in something illogical ?  Here is tonight's homework assignment for you : I drew a five sided triangle just now.  Can you believe me, if you try really really hard ?

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2016, 02:36:35 PM »
The naturalistic “worldview” is investigable and testable by reference to the world as it appears to be (see above).
As it appears to be. So, right from the outset, there is the assumption that only natural causes/explanations are available! There's your problem  :) To use Torridon's example in their post: Imagine trying to work out the sum of the internal angles of a five-sided triangle? You can't because the starting premise is flawed. It must be modified to either cater for a 5-sided shape (pentagon) or a 3-sided shape (triangle).

Not everything that happens in the world can be explained by natural causes. For example: what about all the things human beings are responsible for? Clearly then, a test is needed that can consider the possibility of both a natural and non-natural cause.

floo

« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2016, 02:39:20 PM »
As it appears to be. So, right from the outset, there is the assumption that only natural causes/explanations are available! There's your problem  :) To use Torridon's example in their post: Imagine trying to work out the sum of the internal angles of a five-sided triangle? You can't because the starting premise is flawed. It must be modified to either cater for a 5-sided shape (pentagon) or a 3-sided shape (triangle).

Not everything that happens in the world can be explained by natural causes. For example: what about all the things human beings are responsible for? Clearly then, a test is needed that can consider the possibility of both a natural and non-natural cause.

At present not everything can be explained by natural causes, but as scientific knowledge advances, it is possible what is not explainable at present will be explained.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #210 on: September 12, 2016, 02:39:58 PM »
what about all the things human beings are responsible for?

Err....last time I looked human beings were natural entities. Ergo anything they are responsible for has a natural cause.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #211 on: September 12, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »
At present not everything can be explained by natural causes, but as scientific knowledge advances, it is possible what is not explainable at present will be explained.
Which is fine, if that is what you want to believe, but it is a statement of faith, and requires a precommitment to natural causes being the only explanation. Again, fine if this is what you want to believe, but then your approach is no different to those of religious belief.

BeRational

« Reply #212 on: September 12, 2016, 02:57:53 PM »
Which is fine, if that is what you want to believe, but it is a statement of faith, and requires a precommitment to natural causes being the only explanation. Again, fine if this is what you want to believe, but then your approach is no different to those of religious belief.

For me, I only want to believe things that are likely to be true.
That's why evidence and reason are so important, and preference if of zero importance.

I have zero faith, and regard believing anything by faith is absurd.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #213 on: September 12, 2016, 04:07:12 PM »
Clearly then, a test is needed that can consider the possibility of both a natural and non-natural cause.
Go on then, what test have you got that can do that?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #214 on: September 12, 2016, 04:07:37 PM »
Sword,

As it appears to be. So, right from the outset, there is the assumption that only natural causes/explanations are available!

Oh dear. No, the only assumption is that we can only investigate that which we can observe and that we have the tools to map to a model of reality. 

There's your problem  :) To use Torridon's example in their post: Imagine trying to work out the sum of the internal angles of a five-sided triangle? You can't because the starting premise is flawed. It must be modified to either cater for a 5-sided shape (pentagon) or a 3-sided shape (triangle).

Try responding to my last post to you. How would you propose that someone modify his "world view" to investigate claims about a five-sided triangle, or about leprechauns for that matter? That's the real problem here, and it's yours. 

What are you trying to say - that human behaviour isn't natural? Why would you think that?

God

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: September 12, 2016, 04:17:21 PM »
Not everything that happens in the world can be explained by natural causes.

What things, and what explanations are these?

For example: what about all the things human beings are responsible for?

As far as I can see none of these 'responsibilities' are non-natural.

Clearly then, a test is needed that can consider the possibility of both a natural and non-natural cause.

Got one?

torridon

« Reply #216 on: September 12, 2016, 05:42:31 PM »

Human are natural beings and everything humans do is therefore explicable in terms of natural causes. There is no reason to suppose there is a supernatural-anything - we can investigate any phenomenon but any such would be natural as evidence is a naturalist concept. If there were any such thing as 'supernatural' then it would be incomprehensible by definition - there would be no way we could possibly recognise it as a phenomenon.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2016, 05:55:12 PM »
torridon,

Human are natural beings and everything humans do is therefore explicable in terms of natural causes. There is no reason to suppose there is a supernatural-anything - we can investigate any phenomenon but any such would be natural as evidence is a naturalist concept. If there were any such thing as 'supernatural' then it would be incomprehensible by definition - there would be no way we could possibly recognise it as a phenomenon.

Quite so. Sword seems to me to be falling into the same trap that Vlad occupies - if something can't be described in naturalistic terms, then it must be supernatural. Leaving aside the huge definitional problems with "supernatural", the conflation is in treating "that which the available tools and methods of naturalism do not describe" with "that which is inherently forever outwith the remit of naturalism to describe". There are countless examples of the former, but there's no reason to assume the latter.

It's an odd position, not least because when science in particular does catch up presumably the supernatural would at that time have to magic itself into the natural.       
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:05:26 PM by bluehillside »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #218 on: September 12, 2016, 07:39:48 PM »
torridon,

Quite so. Sword seems to me to be falling into the same trap that Vlad occupies - if something can't be described in naturalistic terms, then it must be supernatural. Leaving aside the huge definitional problems with "supernatural", the conflation is in treating "that which the available tools and methods of naturalism do not describe" with "that which is inherently forever outwith the remit of naturalism to describe". There are countless examples of the former, but there's no reason to assume the latter.

It's an odd position, not least because when science in particular does catch up presumably the supernatural would at that time have to magic itself into the natural.       
Oh no Hillside has invoked Argumentum ad Vlad. Stop the clocks, put down the phones etc.....and the whole world turned to grey.

PS the only thing which can observe an eternal universe or one popping into existence out of nothing is an eternal being.......To put it in your own
overdramatic Eastwoodian terms......Do you really want to go down that route....well do you?.......really?

I think i'll let the category ballsup archeologists discover your defeat and my victory.........

Ciao.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #219 on: September 12, 2016, 07:59:54 PM »
Vlad,

Oh no Hillside has invoked Argumentum ad Vlad. Stop the clocks, put down the phones etc.....and the whole world turned to grey.

PS the only thing which can observe an eternal universe or one popping into existence out of nothing is an eternal being.......To put it in your own
overdramatic Eastwoodian terms......Do you really want to go down that route....well do you?.......really?

I think i'll let the category ballsup archeologists discover your defeat and my victory.........Not being investigable with the available tools and methods of science does no make something "supernatural". 

Ciao.

And again he crashes and burns. Write this down a hundred times until it sinks in:

Not being investigable with the available tools and methods of science does not make something "supernatural". 

Not being investigable with the available tools and methods of science does not make something "supernatural". 

Not being investigable with the available tools and methods of science does not ..." etc. 

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #220 on: September 12, 2016, 11:26:24 PM »
Vlad,

And again he crashes and burns. Write this down a hundred times until it sinks in:

Not being investigable with the available tools and methods of science does not ..." etc.
Oh, good grief...............Hillsides resorted to hypnosis.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #221 on: September 13, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »
Vlad,

Oh, good grief...............Hillsides resorted to hypnosis.

Well, as simple logic doesn't work for you what's the alternative?

God

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #222 on: September 13, 2016, 05:20:28 PM »
torridon,

Quite so. Sword seems to me to be falling into the same trap that Vlad occupies - if something can't be described in naturalistic terms, then it must be supernatural.
Nope. I'm not saying that, and I suspect neither is anyone else; more an assumption that this is what someone thinks.

All I'm trying to show is that your worldview (of assuming natural causes & explanations) is not falsifiable by scientific standards. I keep on reading things along the lines of, "there's no reason to consider xyz, etc", but that's not science. That's a precommitment!

wigginhall

« Reply #223 on: September 13, 2016, 05:32:15 PM »
Nope. I'm not saying that, and I suspect neither is anyone else; more an assumption that this is what someone thinks.

All I'm trying to show is that your worldview (of assuming natural causes & explanations) is not falsifiable by scientific standards. I keep on reading things along the lines of, "there's no reason to consider xyz, etc", but that's not science. That's a precommitment!

You are confusing method with philosophical outlook.   Thus scientific method does not represent a worldview; this is why religious people can be scientists, since the assumption of natural causes in their work is separate from their private beliefs about reality.   

The reason that people say that there's no reason to consider the supernatural, is that no-one, as far as I can see, has yet demonstrated what it is.   For example, it's possible that gravity is controlled by some supernatural force - OK, now let this be demonstrated explicitly. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #224 on: September 13, 2016, 05:36:44 PM »
Sword,

That's exactly what's been said, albeit with varying degrees of directness. If you don't think the inability to explain something in naturalistic terms has anything to say to the phenomenon being "supernatural' though then fair enough.

All I'm trying to show is that your worldview (of assuming natural causes & explanations) is not falsifiable by scientific standards.

And all I'm trying to say is that my "worldview" (if I have such a thing) does not "assume" any such thing. Rather it takes the only model available - the universe as it appears to be investigated and mapped to a model of reality, mediated by intersubjective experience - as my working determination of what probabilistically is and isn't true. That's not for one moment to suggest that something else entirely might not be true, but it is to say that - so far at least - those who posit such things offer no means to distinguish their claims from just guessing about stuff. One man's "god" is epistemically equivalent to the next man's leprechauns for this purpose. One man's "let's take the lift" on the other hand is not epistemically equivalent another man's, "let's jump out of the window instead".   

I keep on reading things along the lines of, "there's no reason to consider xyz, etc", but that's not science. That's a precommitment!

No-one claims it is "science". It is though logic - and inescapable logic at that. If I am to accept a priori one man's "worldview" - for example, about "God" - then on what basis should I reject a priori another man's "worldview" about leprechauns?

Only when you can address that will you see where you've gone off the rails. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:39:25 PM by bluehillside »

God