Author Topic: Are we done here?  (Read 25345 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Are we done here?
« Reply #250 on: September 14, 2016, 06:39:59 PM »
Wiggs,

There must be a Christian college, which trains people in important fallacies, and how to use them.   The negative proof fallacy, straw-manning, reversal of burden of proof, with a side-dish of the problem of induction.   

Is there a degree in it?

I think there must be - it's breaking out all over the place!
"Don't make me come down there."

God

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #251 on: September 14, 2016, 06:50:51 PM »
Or perhaps more and more Christians are realising (finally) that secular philosophy, when scrutinized with the same kind of tests required of religious belief, are to be found wanting.  :)
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2016, 06:57:18 PM »
Sword,

Or perhaps more and more Christians are realising (finally) that secular philosophy, when scrutinized with the same kind of tests required of religious belief, are to be found wanting.  :)

No-one claims "secular philosophy" (whatever that means) to be perfect or complete. That though no more validates Chrstianity than it validates leprechaunism. 

You are Vlad aren't you - same logical errors, same straw men, same non sequiturs, same etc. Gawaaaan - you can tell us!

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2016, 08:27:06 PM »
There must be a Christian college, which trains people in important fallacies, and how to use them.   The negative proof fallacy, straw-manning, reversal of burden of proof, with a side-dish of the problem of induction.   

Yes, Here are the details.

The Divine College of Wigginhall's imagination.
Lower Wigginhall's Brain Street
Wigtown
Scotland.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2016, 10:42:50 PM »
Yes, Here are the details.

The Divine College of Wigginhall's imagination.
Lower Wigginhall's Brain Street
Wigtown
Scotland.
dont you mean;

The High Church of the Venerable Straw Man
Hay Drive
Vladivostok
Russia
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #255 on: September 15, 2016, 06:28:38 AM »
dont you mean;

The High Church of the Venerable Straw Man
Hay Drive
Vladivostok
Russia

Vladivostok?

Surely you mean Hay on Why.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #256 on: September 15, 2016, 08:42:57 AM »
Vladivostok?

Surely you mean Hay on Why.
Twatt.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #257 on: September 15, 2016, 03:24:17 PM »
Seb, re: Vlad; he's from Transylvania.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #258 on: September 15, 2016, 11:14:05 PM »
Seb, re: Vlad; he's from Transylvania.
Is he a transvestite?  :-\
Albert Einstein

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #259 on: September 15, 2016, 11:29:32 PM »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: September 16, 2016, 12:10:16 AM »

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #261 on: September 16, 2016, 10:22:03 AM »
Sebastian Toe 15/09/16:

Quote from: Brownie on September 15, 2016, 03:24:17 PM
Seb, re: Vlad; he's from Transylvania

Is he a transvestite?  :-\

It's more about transfusions.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #262 on: September 16, 2016, 01:26:10 PM »
It's just a jump to the right....
Let's do....
Albert Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #263 on: October 01, 2016, 09:33:31 AM »
For the atheist... it is all words but words without power which debilitate and destroy.
The believer does not rely on the words of men but the words of God given unto men and the power which is God which makes those words truth.

Men of God act on the words of God, knowing that the Almighty Father behind them makes the outcome possible in truth.

In truth the believers receives hope, assurance and life. They receive by power all the promises of God and know God loves them.
Men say and do things to tear down the truth of the word for themselves who disbelieve.
But they are blind to the damage they do themselves.
But the seed of the word in those who believe grows and bears fruit.

Christians don't doubt their God or his truth.
They just fail to see how other men in ignorance could fail even by earthly wisdom to want to test it and know God and his goodness.

We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #264 on: October 01, 2016, 09:53:06 AM »
Sassy,

For the atheist... it is all words but words without power which debilitate and destroy.
The believer does not rely on the words of men but the words of God given unto men and the power which is God which makes those words truth.

Men of God act on the words of God, knowing that the Almighty Father behind them makes the outcome possible in truth.

In truth the believers receives hope, assurance and life. They receive by power all the promises of God and know God loves them.
Men say and do things to tear down the truth of the word for themselves who disbelieve.
But they are blind to the damage they do themselves.
But the seed of the word in those who believe grows and bears fruit.

Christians don't doubt their God or his truth.
They just fail to see how other men in ignorance could fail even by earthly wisdom to want to test it and know God and his goodness.

Of course Sassy, of course. Now all you have to do - finally - it tell us why these people think there to be a "God" at all rather than just jump straight to the assertion that they know what "his" words are.

And no, "because it says so in the Bible" isn't an argument.

Good luck with it!

God

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #265 on: October 01, 2016, 11:26:26 AM »
Quote from: bluehillside
Now all you have to do - finally - it tell us why these people think there to be a "God" at all rather than just jump straight to the assertion that they know what "his" words are.
I wonder how many times this question has been answered by Christians posting here over the years, indeed even in the short time I've been here. Then all I ever see from you is a response telling them why what they have said is invalid. For example:
Quote from: You
Your approach is like asking someone to swim from A to B, but they can't use freestyle, breast-stroke, back-stroke, butterfly, ...

torridon

« Reply #266 on: October 01, 2016, 11:42:50 AM »
I wonder how many times this question has been answered by Christians posting here over the years, indeed even in the short time I've been here. Then all I ever see from you is a response telling them why what they have said is invalid.

That is because "because it says so in the Bible" isn't an argument. It's a fallacy, more specifically its an appeal to authority

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #267 on: October 01, 2016, 11:59:38 AM »
That is because "because it says so in the Bible" isn't an argument. It's a fallacy, more specifically its an appeal to authority
You missed the point of my post. Bluehillside is always effectively asking Christians to walk from A to B without moving their feet! This was part of his question:

Now all you have to do - finally - it tell us why these people think there to be a "God"
The operative word being think. It doesn't matter whether their reasons for belief are valid or not, never mind someone's subjective opinion on them!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:05:08 PM by SwordOfTheSpirit »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2016, 01:09:40 PM »
Sword,

I wonder how many times this question has been answered by Christians posting here over the years, indeed even in the short time I've been here.

So far, not once.

Then all I ever see from you is a response telling them why what they have said is invalid. For example:

Quote from: You

That’s because circular arguments are bad arguments. If a theist wants to answer the question he has to break out of the loop of “God is real because it says so in the Bible/The Bible is accurate because God made it that way”.

Sassy, Sparky et al just ignore the problem, but it’s a problem nonetheless. 
Your approach is like asking someone to swim from A to B, but they can't use freestyle, breast-stroke, back-stroke, butterfly, ...

No, it’s like asking someone to swim from A to B but they can’t say that Poseidon will do it for them.

Anyways, it’s high time I found something more productive to do so I wish all and sundry here farewell and bon chance.

God

Owlswing

« Reply #269 on: October 01, 2016, 01:50:43 PM »

Hooray, for Hilly and Shakes, hooray for Hilly and Shakes, Hooray for Hilly and Shakes..........

Hooray for Vlad, Hooray at last, Hooray for Vlad, he's a horse's arse!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #270 on: October 01, 2016, 01:53:47 PM »
Hooray for Vlad, Hooray at last, Hooray for Vlad, he's a horse's arse!
Crikey, A Humbug that can type!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: October 01, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »
moderator please do not derail thread with a set of insults

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #272 on: October 01, 2016, 04:23:19 PM »
moderator please do not derail thread with a set of insults
I suppose one insult was OK....yes. I see it was.

Sassy

« Reply #273 on: October 01, 2016, 04:25:22 PM »
Sassy,

Of course Sassy, of course. Now all you have to do - finally - it tell us why these people think there to be a "God" at all rather than just jump straight to the assertion that they know what "his" words are.

Good luck with it!

I see you haven't understood a word I said...

Come back when you know what you are talking about. Because the above doesn't relate to anything I said.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #274 on: October 01, 2016, 09:26:35 PM »
Sword,

So far, not once.
I'd agree, blue.  Anchorman, alone, answered it several times: others have answered it on many occaions as well.  So, not once if definitely true.

That’s because circular arguments are bad arguments.
Which is why I find you so difficult to understand; your arguments are amongst some of the most circular.

If a theist wants to answer the question he has to break out of the loop of “God is real because it says so in the Bible/The Bible is accurate because God made it that way”.

Sassy, Sparky et al just ignore the problem, but it’s a problem nonetheless.
Whereas you seem to believe that those kinds of answers are the only ones that count - because they are amongst the easiest to dismiss - even for a believer.  The more complex answers such as Anchorman and others have given are all to often dismissed because they AREN'T the "God is real because it says so in the Bible/The Bible is accurate because God made it that way" that you seem to require.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools