Author Topic: Romans 16  (Read 32535 times)

BeRational

Re: Romans 16
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »
Even if Jesus did rise from the dead, and the accounts are perfectly true, anyone who believes them is still WRONG to do so.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Khatru

« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2016, 11:48:49 AM »
And that is where you would be wrong, Khatru.  There are a number of things recorded in the Hebrew Scriptures that are distinctly history; then, as is the case with a lot of comparable sources, there is theological, poetical and revelationary material.  If you ask me how we know which is which, it is usually down to the style and form of language used, which is where we need literary critics to guide us.

We also get a lot from archaeology, which, as it turns out, is no friend of the Bible.

There may be some history regarding names and reigns but for the activities of the heroes of the scriptures, Abraham, Moses, David, Solomon, etc, there is very little that can be relied on.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

ad_orientem

« Reply #177 on: September 01, 2016, 02:08:18 PM »
Even if Jesus did rise from the dead, and the accounts are perfectly true, anyone who believes them is still WRONG to do so.

Eh?
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

BeRational

« Reply #178 on: September 01, 2016, 02:09:32 PM »
Eh?

Because an anecdotal written account is never sufficient evidence to assume a suspension of the known laws of physics.

Simple
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: September 01, 2016, 02:24:55 PM »
Basically if something isn't credible, it didn't happen as reported, or there is an explanation, which has nothing to do with a god or the supernatural..
This is an argument by incredulity. There may be insufficent evidnce for something but you can only take an agnostic position, not a gnostic position as you do here

ippy

« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2016, 02:48:53 PM »
This is an argument by incredulity. There may be insufficent evidnce for something but you can only take an agnostic position, not a gnostic position as you do here

Splitting hairs on on a reasonable comment made by Floo this time; we all know that Floo's point wasn't quite or exactly right in it's use of incredulity but I think we here on this forum are adult enough to not want a 25 page thesis about every detail of our comments, we leave that job to you N S.

I didn't have any difficulty with understanding Floo's post even if Floo wasn't exactly hairsplittingly precise with the way she worded her post.   

ippy 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »
Splitting hairs on on a reasonable comment made by Floo this time; we altl know that Floo's point wasn't quite or exactly right in it's use of incredulity but I think we here on this forum are adult enough to not want a 25 page thesis about every detail of our comments, we leave that job to you N S.

I didn't have any difficulty with understanding Floo's post even if Floo wasn't exactly hairsplittingly precise with the way she worded her post.   

ippy
It's exactly the sort of comment you might applaud Hope being picked up on, but then you apply double standards

ippy

« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2016, 04:46:19 PM »
It's exactly the sort of comment you might applaud Hope being picked up on, but then you apply double standards

You're so predictable unless I had written three or four pages with all of the minutest details; even then you wouldn't be happy with that.

People differ so much that some like to live in a dream world and some don't, who do you think lives in the former and who do you think was the other person I was alluding to, there that wasn't too difficult for you was it N S, or do you want an explanation with as many words and pages as "War and Peace"?

ippy 

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2016, 07:31:41 AM »
You're so predictable unless I had written three or four pages with all of the minutest details; even then you wouldn't be happy with that.

People differ so much that some like to live in a dream world and some don't, who do you think lives in the former and who do you think was the other person I was alluding to, there that wasn't too difficult for you was it N S, or do you want an explanation with as many words and pages as "War and Peace"?

ippy
Well, I can tell you that I and most other religious people don't live in a dream world, ippy.  Does that answer your question?  Many religious (and, no doubt, many non-religious) people live in a world that is unjust, marginalising, disenfranchising and - in same ways - seriously wicked.  Perhaps you don't live in that world.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2016, 07:33:03 AM »
And what is the logic behind that statement, BR? 
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2016, 07:35:27 AM »
Because an anecdotal written account is never sufficient evidence to assume a suspension of the known laws of physics.

Simple
Yet the known laws of physics (in fact the known laws of all 'science') don't fully explain every aspect of the natural world and - especially for humanity - human life.  As a result, the term 'suspension' is a misnomer in the context.  As a Christian, I'm quite happt to accept the laws of biology, chemistry and physics in the areas of life that they impinge on.  What I am not willing to accept is their spurious application to aspects of life that they don't (and in my view can't and therefore won't) impinge on.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:38:06 AM by Hope »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2016, 07:38:26 AM »

ippy

That's a long winded avoidance of your double standards

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2016, 07:41:08 AM »
Yet the known laws of physics (in fact the known laws of all 'science') don't fully explain every aspect of the natural world and - especially for humanity - human life.  As a result, the term 'suspension' is a misnomer in the context.  As a Christian, I'm quite happt to accept the laws of biology, chemistry and physics in the areas of life that they impinge on.  What I am not willing to accept is their spurious application to aspects of life that they don't (and in my view can't and therefore won't) impinge on.

And physical claims are impinged on them as BR is correct to point out.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2016, 07:59:28 AM »
I'd say it was a long-winded explanation of his double-standards, NS   ;)

floo

« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2016, 08:25:47 AM »

Science hasn't yet discovered all there is to know about how everything came into being, it is a work in progress. In the days when the documents making up the Bible were written science wasn't a concept. It was therefore reasonable that the authors should speculate about how it all came about, hence the creation story. In the 21st century, when we have discovered so much about the universe and our planet, it seems odd that some should think it was a god wot dun it!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:29:51 AM by Floo »

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2016, 06:52:17 PM »
Science hasn't yet discovered all there is to know about how everything came into being, it is a work in progress. In the days when the documents making up the Bible were written science wasn't a concept. It was therefore reasonable that the authors should speculate about how it all came about, hence the creation story. In the 21st century, when we have discovered so much about the universe and our planet, it seems odd that some should think it was a god wot dun it!
Actually, Floo, science was a concept.  Somewhat different to and probably more broadly-based than modern science - and oddly enough, we have often simply re-discovered stuff that the ancients already knew (for instance the Greeks and Romans to it for granted that the world was round).  At the same time, we are constantly being reminded that science doesn't deal in right and wrong - not doesn't deal at the moment - which are  important concepts in any society.

ippy

« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2016, 12:22:46 AM »

Anything sumed up in less than several million words would be classified as avoidance by your standards.

Most people can grasp every day speech without having to go into the most minute details to enable them to understand, we're not writing legal documents here, even then if we were there will alway be some nurd windbag or another that would like to show how exacting he or she is with their standard of the written word; yes it does impress people but maybe not in the way they think.

Please be my guest and now, nit pick this lot to your hearts content and yes I do avoid long, pointlessly long winded posts.

ippy

floo

« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2016, 08:26:29 AM »
Actually, Floo, science was a concept.  Somewhat different to and probably more broadly-based than modern science - and oddly enough, we have often simply re-discovered stuff that the ancients already knew (for instance the Greeks and Romans to it for granted that the world was round).  At the same time, we are constantly being reminded that science doesn't deal in right and wrong - not doesn't deal at the moment - which are  important concepts in any society.

Science as we know it today certainly wasn't a concept then. How do you know the Greeks and Romans took it for granted the world was round?

As for right and wrong, there is much that is very wrong in the Bible, which is attributed to god and its acolytes.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2016, 08:58:42 AM »
Anything sumed up in less than several million words would be classified as avoidance by your standards.

Most people can grasp every day speech without having to go into the most minute details to enable them to understand, we're not writing legal documents here, even then if we were there will alway be some nurd windbag or another that would like to show how exacting he or she is with their standard of the written word; yes it does impress people but maybe not in the way they think.

Please be my guest and now, nit pick this lot to your hearts content and yes I do avoid long, pointlessly long winded posts.

ippy

More words, more hypocrisy.

ippy

« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2016, 09:02:16 AM »
Well, I can tell you that I and most other religious people don't live in a dream world, ippy.  Does that answer your question?  Many religious (and, no doubt, many non-religious) people live in a world that is unjust, marginalising, disenfranchising and - in same ways - seriously wicked.  Perhaps you don't live in that world.

So you're not living in a dream world Hope, don't worry about it too much, you'll be ok in the end I'm sure.

ippy

ippy

« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2016, 09:28:33 AM »

More words, more hypocrisy.

I'll bet that Post was difficult for you N S; it must be of considerable concern for you that less than a couple of thousand words on any given subject and it might be misunderstood.

I call that progress.

ippy

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2016, 09:40:19 AM »
I'll bet that Post was difficult for you N S; it must be of considerable concern for you that less than a couple of thousand words on any given subject and it might be misunderstood.

I call that progress.

ippy

Hypocrite

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2016, 11:03:15 AM »
We also get a lot from archaeology, which, as it turns out, is no friend of the Bible.

There may be some history regarding names and reigns but for the activities of the heroes of the scriptures, Abraham, Moses, David, Solomon, etc, there is very little that can be relied on.
The entire archaeological evidence for any of those people amounts to a single stele with the phrase "House of David" written on it.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2016, 11:17:07 AM »
What I am not willing to accept is their spurious application to aspects of life that they don't (and in my view can't and therefore won't) impinge on.
What areas are those and how do you know that science can't "impinge" on them?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »
Actually, Floo, science was a concept.  Somewhat different to and probably more broadly-based than modern science - and oddly enough, we have often simply re-discovered stuff that the ancients already knew (for instance the Greeks and Romans to it for granted that the world was round).
You could hardly say that was rediscovered. We didn't forget that the World was round after the Greeks and Romans went away.