Author Topic: Psalms reflect the nature of man today and in every generation.  (Read 3744 times)

Sassy

Psalm 50 speaks also of those who claim to believe in God but by their actions show they are no part of his.
It shows also those which lack belief.

I believe this psalm reproves and and rebukes the natural nature of a person whom say they believe in God but do not show that in their actions and words.

As a believer the words of God are a sure foundation. I know the LORD God is true to his word when he says:

King James Bible
Behold, they shall surely gather together, but not by me: whosoever shall gather together against thee shall fall for thy sake.

Psalm 50King James Version (KJV)

50 The mighty God, even the Lord, hath spoken, and called the earth from the rising of the sun unto the going down thereof.

2 Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God hath shined.

3 Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him.

4 He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that he may judge his people.

5 Gather my saints together unto me; those that have made a covenant with me by sacrifice.

6 And the heavens shall declare his righteousness: for God is judge himself. Selah.

7 Hear, O my people, and I will speak; O Israel, and I will testify against thee: I am God, even thy God.

8 I will not reprove thee for thy sacrifices or thy burnt offerings, to have been continually before me.

9 I will take no bullock out of thy house, nor he goats out of thy folds.

10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.

11 I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine.

12 If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof.

13 Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats?

14 Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High:

15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.

16 But unto the wicked God saith, What hast thou to do to declare my statutes, or that thou shouldest take my covenant in thy mouth?

17 Seeing thou hatest instruction, and casteth my words behind thee.

18 When thou sawest a thief, then thou consentedst with him, and hast been partaker with adulterers.

19 Thou givest thy mouth to evil, and thy tongue frameth deceit.

20 Thou sittest and speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother's son.

21 These things hast thou done, and I kept silence; thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: but I will reprove thee, and set them in order before thine eyes.

22 Now consider this, ye that forget God, lest I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver.

23 Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God.

Interested to know how those believers here actually feel about the reflection of this psalm in todays world.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Brownie

• Faith evolves
Re: Psalms reflect the nature of man today and in every generation.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »
This is my favourite Psalm;  it speaks to me and I believe it says something to everyone.

Ps 131 NKJV

1Lord, my heart is not haughty,
Nor my eyes lofty.
Neither do I concern myself with great matters,
Nor with things too profound for me.
2Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul,
Like a weaned child with his mother;
Like a weaned child is my soul within me.
3O Israel, hope in the Lord
From this time forth and forever.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:55:59 PM »

Psalm 50 speaks also of those who claim to believe in God but by their actions show they are no part of his.

I believe this psalm reproves and and rebukes the natural nature of a person whom say they believe in God but do not show that in their actions and words.

As a believer the words of God are a sure foundation. I know the LORD God is true to his word when he says:

King James Bible
Behold, they shall surely gather together, but not by me: whosoever shall gather together against thee shall fall for thy sake.

50 The mighty God, even the Lord, hath spoken, and called the earth from the rising of the sun unto the going down thereof.

3 Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him.

4 He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that he may judge his people.

5 Gather my saints together unto me; those that have made a covenant with me by sacrifice.

6 And the heavens shall declare his righteousness: for God is judge himself. Selah.

7 Hear, O my people, and I will speak; O Israel, and I will testify against thee: I am God, even thy God.

8 I will not reprove thee for thy sacrifices or thy burnt offerings, to have been continually before me.

11 I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine.

12 If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof.

15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.

16 But unto the wicked God saith, What hast thou to do to declare my statutes, or that thou shouldest take my covenant in thy mouth?

18 When thou sawest a thief, then thou consentedst with him, and hast been partaker with adulterers.

20 Thou sittest and speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother's son.

21 These things hast thou done, and I kept silence; thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: but I will reprove thee, and set them in order before thine eyes.

22 Now consider this, ye that forget God, lest I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver.

23 Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God.

Interested to know how those believers here actually feel about the reflection of this psalm in todays world.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 04:08:16 PM »
Groundhog day? :-\
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 05:03:38 PM »
 :(

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »
Brownie,

:(

I wouldn't worry. Sassy has no interest in discussing anything - she's here just to proselytise and to insult in more or less equal measure. She clearly has a set of beliefs that giver her life meaning, however bonkers they may appear to others. When people have the temerity to question them though, her default is to spit the dummy until her interlocutor gives up and goes away.

I for example have asked her many times why she thinks the book she quotes in response to pretty much any question is necessarily truthful and accurate such other people should take its claims seriously. I've never had an answer to that, other that is than further abuse.

You have to think that the Jesus in whom she believes so fervently would be appalled by her behaviour, but presumably Sassy has a found a way to reconcile herself to it nonetheless.   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:37:23 AM by bluehillside »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 05:22:36 PM »
I just wanted a bit of balance, Ps 131 is so gentle, imo.  I've always loved it.
Never mind.

savillerow

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »
"Those which lack belief" I really like my lack of belief. It makes me feel a little bit superior and more knowing to those who have a religious bent.
i know this is hard for theists to agree with but . . . .we are flying this planet.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 06:14:34 PM »
Oy!  Who you calling "bent"?  ;)

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 06:46:38 PM »
Psalm 139:23-24
Search me, O God and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.

Khatru

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 02:51:55 PM »

There was me thinking that you Christians define yourselves by your beliefs and not by your actions.

Sorry, my mistake.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 03:45:23 PM »
You are right that faith is paramount Khatru but we are supposed to try and live up to that faith.

ippy

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 05:41:27 PM »

King James Bible

Wow Sass you've come back from wherever you were with a vengeance, what have we done to deserve that load of old cods.

Good to see you posting again, ippy

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »
Wow Sass you've come back from wherever you were with a vengeance, what have we done to deserve that load of old cods.

Sassy's post is from 3rd August. She is currently suspended as per note on Banned Posters

http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?topic=6939.50

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 10:32:20 AM »
There was me thinking that you Christians define yourselves by your beliefs and not by your actions.

Sorry, my mistake.

A question for you Khatru,

Does the actions of the believer come from their will to do works or are they from the will of God by predestined works for them to do?

Christ said that many will do miracles and perform many wonders in his name. But when he returns he will say to many "Go away I never knew you" can you really have beliefs without actions and actions without belief.  Belief shows that the power of God is real and that those who believe can receive.
Naaman a good example of believing in what the God of Israel can do and having received decided he would worship no other God and was assured of forgiveness at going into the Temple of the God he no longer believed in was okay because he now knew the truth.

Christ points out he is the way, the truth and the life. So the fact people cure people in his name does not deter from the fact that they have to have a personal relationship with God and Christ. The two commandments when obeyed prove love for God, the Lord Jesus and our neighbour.

In truth God does not require us to be in a relationship for him to keep his promise of doing or receiving miracles in the name of Christ. But to know God is to be obedient to the Words which Jesus as his Prophet has given to the world.
The promises of God are yes in Christ. But even Gods truth remains faithful in that those who believe will do as Christ did.
Those who believe and live in Christ never die.

So the actions define the relationship of the person with God.Those who obey Christ's teachings whether they do miracles or not.

Sassy

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 10:36:16 AM »

Hi Ippy,

A month later and thanks for the welcome back.... :)
You know Vengeance is the Lords, and pay back he does. You don't require me to tell you this.

It is a difference not cods wallop... but at least you took note. :)

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »
"Those which lack belief" I really like my lack of belief. It makes me feel a little bit superior and more knowing to those who have a religious bent.

The only bent thing appears to be your thinking!
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Bubbles

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 11:09:10 AM »

King James Bible

They were just prayers of their day, written by prominent people of the time sometimes asking God to blast their enemies.

As a reflection of people I much prefer proverbs.

Psalms are the thoughts of the leaders of those days making up prayers to God.

Some are thoughtful and some just plain cranky.

They don't quite say

" dear God, please infest my enemies with a thousand fleas" but it's that sort of thing  ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:13:02 AM by Rose »

Bubbles

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 11:21:05 AM »
Proverbs express the nature of man and there are still truths in there, regardless of generations past or future.

Prv25: Do not exalt yourself in the king's presence. If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat. To seek one's own glory is not glory.

Prv26: As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly. Without gossip a quarrel dies down. Whoever digs a pit will fall into it.

Prv28: Better to be poor and honest than crooked and rich. Whoever confesses sins will find mercy. Whoever trusts in the LORD will prosper.

Bubbles

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 11:28:27 AM »
16 These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

20 My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother:

21 Bind them continually upon thine heart, and tie them about thy neck.

22 When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee.

23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:

🌹
Some of those things still cause trouble today and I reckon that instruction still has relevance  :)

:)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:32:19 AM by Rose »

ippy

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 11:13:45 PM »
Hi Ippy,

A month later and thanks for the welcome back.... :)
You know Vengeance is the Lords, and pay back he does. You don't require me to tell you this.

It is a difference not cods wallop... but at least you took note. :)

Hello Sass, how would I know " Vengeance is the Lords", anymore than you do; you don't even know if this supposed lord of yours exists or not, even though I'm sure you believe he, she or it does.

You can tell me in a warning like manner about the things this imaginary figure of yours, that does actually exist in your mind, to watch out for some imaginary consequences as many times you like to do so, feel free, I'm sorry to say Sass I can't say I'll be losing much sleep, if any, over anything like that.

Again sorry to disappoint you I still think this god stuff, you're always overdoing, is a load of old cods.

Why don't you write more of your own thoughts, things you've worked out for yourself, instead of keeping on quoting reams and reams of practically useless, boring biblical texts.

ippy

Sassy

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 01:11:43 AM »
Hello Sass, how would I know " Vengeance is the Lords", anymore than you do; you don't even know if this supposed lord of yours exists or not, even though I'm sure you believe he, she or it does.

You can tell me in a warning like manner about the things this imaginary figure of yours, that does actually exist in your mind, to watch out for some imaginary consequences as many times you like to do so, feel free, I'm sorry to say Sass I can't say I'll be losing much sleep, if any, over anything like that.

Hi Ippy,
Not sure if it can be seen as a warning?? Revealing things to you is not about warning you.
Could be in the future that you remember and are helped by what you learn.
If God was speaking to you I am sure you would be avoiding the subject.  ;D
God does his own works...

Again sorry to disappoint you I still think this god stuff, you're always overdoing, is a load of old cods.

Can you understand why you feel that way. I personally do not feel atheism has anything for me to consider being an afront in anyway. So not even cods wallop.
Why don't you write more of your own thoughts, things you've worked out for yourself, instead of keeping on quoting reams and reams of practically useless, boring biblical texts.

ippy
I see no reasoning of evidence for the assumptions you make in the last few sentences.
Would you like to explain how your reached such an unsubstantiated conclusion.
You see I have worked out many things for myself and witnessed many things. And they have had nothing to do with the assumptions you reveal.

How do you reach such unjustifiable conclusions?

Keep me smiling Ippy. :)

Sassy

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 01:15:29 AM »

They were just prayers of their day, written by prominent people of the time sometimes asking God to blast their enemies.

As a reflection of people I much prefer proverbs.

Psalms are the thoughts of the leaders of those days making up prayers to God.

Some are thoughtful and some just plain cranky.

They don't quite say

" dear God, please infest my enemies with a thousand fleas" but it's that sort of thing  ;)
Psalms are a reflection of Davids thought mainly.
But the book of Proverbs chapter 10 -29 are attributed to  King Solomon.

But the truth each contains is relevant... :)

floo

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 08:47:27 AM »
One person's 'truth' is another's misrepresentation.

ippy

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 11:46:40 AM »
Hi Ippy,
Not sure if it can be seen as a warning?? Revealing things to you is not about warning you.
Could be in the future that you remember and are helped by what you learn.
If God was speaking to you I am sure you would be avoiding the subject.  ;D
God does his own works...

Can you understand why you feel that way. I personally do not feel atheism has anything for me to consider being an afront in anyway. So not even cods wallop.I see no reasoning of evidence for the assumptions you make in the last few sentences.
Would you like to explain how your reached such an unsubstantiated conclusion.
You see I have worked out many things for myself and witnessed many things. And they have had nothing to do with the assumptions you reveal.

How do you reach such unjustifiable conclusions?

Keep me smiling Ippy. :)

Well the overall answer to your post Sass is the usual boring but correct answer/explanation is that you haven't got any viable evidence that supports your insistence on believing in this god nonsense, it might be worth some time for discussion if you did find some/any supporting evidence to back up your god belief and I can't see that happening anytime soon; go on Sass surprise me.

ippy