Author Topic: The power of prayer  (Read 34642 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: The power of prayer
« Reply #275 on: September 18, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »
Vlad,

How about the Jesus as the son of God narrative?

No that appears soon after the ministry of Jesus if not during the ministry itself.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #276 on: September 18, 2016, 01:57:59 PM »
Vlad,

No.

Jesus resurrection matters for who is being resurrected.........so no hole in the dogma.

Say what now? So there was a whole bunch of supernatural resurrections, but only one of them concerned the son of God so - um - it's not the (supposed) fact of the resurrection that's important but rather who God did it to ?

Really?
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #277 on: September 18, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
Vlad,

No that appears soon after the ministry of Jesus if not during the ministry itself.

But we've already had someone here tell us that some people didn't believe his "I'm the son of God" line so presumably the conclusion that he was just a mystic, street preacher etc was a contemporary one too. 

God

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #278 on: September 18, 2016, 02:07:48 PM »
Vlad,

But we've already had someone here tell us that some people didn't believe his "I'm the son of God" line so presumably the conclusion that he was just a mystic, street preacher etc was a contemporary one too.

To interject a moment here: A lot of people over the centuries haven't believed He was Son of God; many still don't.  But it happens to be true.
BA.

Jesus said to him, 的 am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: September 18, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
To interject a moment here: A lot of people over the centuries haven't believed He was Son of God; many still don't.  But it happens to be true.
it happens to be nonsensical.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #280 on: September 18, 2016, 02:10:09 PM »
BA,

To interject a moment here: A lot of people over the centuries haven't believed He was Son of God; many still don't.

As indeed is the case for many other characters from different religions.

But it happens to be true.

Why do you think that? Isn't there an "in my personal opinion" missing there?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #281 on: September 18, 2016, 02:11:15 PM »
Vlad,

Yes I'm sure there were but they don't seem to have left any extant literature nor even any indication that in those days one was 'just a mystic'.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #282 on: September 18, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »
BA,

As indeed is the case for many other characters from different religions.

Why do you think that? Isn't there an "in my personal opinion" missing there?

You can say it's my opinion, but that's neither here nor there.  It's still true.
BA.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #283 on: September 18, 2016, 02:15:25 PM »
Vlad,

Yes I'm sure there were but they don't seem to have left any extant literature nor even any indication that in those days one was 'just a mystic'.

Literature that says, "we met this bloke who claims to be the son of God. What a bozo eh?".

Well, um - what about that stuff someone was telling us here about the pharisees not having enough faith to believe him or some such guff. Isn't that written down somewhere?

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #284 on: September 18, 2016, 02:16:25 PM »
BA,

You can say it's my opinion, but that's neither here nor there.  It's still true.

But apart from your personal opinion on the matter, why do you think that?

God

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #285 on: September 18, 2016, 02:18:22 PM »
BA,

But apart from your personal opinion on the matter, why do you think that?

Because I have studied the NT over a lifetime, and I believe what it is saying to me.
BA.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #286 on: September 18, 2016, 02:18:54 PM »
It's still nonsensical.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: September 18, 2016, 02:20:12 PM »
Because I have studied the NT over a lifetime, and I believe what it is saying to me.
Given your lack of understanding of the study of history being methodological naturalistic, your study is undermined

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #288 on: September 18, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »
BA,

Focus on that "I believe" for a minute - that's the personal opinion bit. You are of course entitled to that opinion, just as others have personal opinions about the supposed truthfulness and accuracy of all sort of different religious texts, but - absent a method of any kind to test these claims - a personal opinion is all you have. 

God

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #289 on: September 18, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »
Given your lack of understanding of the study of history being methodological naturalistic, your study is undermined

Oh NS, you say the nicest things, though to be brutally honest, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.
BA.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: September 18, 2016, 02:24:26 PM »

Oh NS, you say the nicest things, though to be brutally honest, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

Then you should be able to refer to a recognised university course in this country where history is not taught as methodologically naturalistic. Can you?

floo

« Reply #291 on: September 18, 2016, 02:25:36 PM »
Just supposing Jesus was the offspring of god, getting a girl pregnant before she married the man to whom she was espoused, and expecting him to father the kid, is the work of a scoundrel! It is a bit rich that some condemn conception out of wedlock, but it is fine for god to get a girl up the spout!

It is strange that the people who knew Jesus best didn't regard him a god of some sort.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #292 on: September 18, 2016, 02:27:28 PM »
Then you should be able to refer to a recognised university course in this country where history is not taught as methodologically naturalistic. Can you?

Come on!  I don't think I'll bother, I've still got to have a shave today.  Really, NS, let's talk sensibly.  Incidentally, do you have details of all university courses and what they entail?
BA.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #293 on: September 18, 2016, 02:29:55 PM »
Come on!  I don't think I'll bother, I've still got to have a shave today.  Really, NS, let's talk sensibly.  Incidentally, do you have details of all university courses and what they entail?
so that would be a 'no'.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #294 on: September 18, 2016, 02:31:32 PM »
so that would be a 'no'.

Well, no, more of a,  "I don't give a...!"
BA.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: September 18, 2016, 02:33:47 PM »
Well, no, more of a,  "I don't give a...!"
A no followed by an evasion, underlining you cannot justify your own claim to expertise.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #296 on: September 18, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »

That would be the relativist (it's true for me) fallacy unless you can show that what you believe to be true is actually true independent of your belief that it is.

However, since you have agreed that there is the risk that the NT could contain mistakes or lies then you should be able to explain the method whereby you have rejected these risks when it comes to be core claim of Jesus being dead and then being resurrected.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #297 on: September 18, 2016, 02:43:19 PM »
A no followed by an evasion, underlining you cannot justify your own claim to expertise.

No, NS, read what I said.  I said, "I don't give a..."  I've spent years doing it and I get nowhere; not with those programmed to disbelieve.  I'm too old to waste any more of my time reiterating.
BA.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #298 on: September 18, 2016, 02:44:44 PM »
That would be the relativist (it's true for me) fallacy unless you can show that what you believe to be true is actually true independent of your belief that it is.

However, since you have agreed that there is the risk that the NT could contain mistakes or lies then you should be able to explain the method whereby you have rejected these risks when it comes to be core claim of Jesus being dead and then being resurrected.

Gordon, please read my last answer to NS: it's the same for your post.
BA.

floo

« Reply #299 on: September 18, 2016, 02:45:28 PM »
In my opinion, the gospels were just as likely to be prone to exaggeration and porkies, just like modern day journalism written for a mass audience.