Author Topic: The power of prayer  (Read 35181 times)

Sebastian Toe

Re: The power of prayer
« Reply #350 on: October 02, 2016, 05:02:12 PM »

No Seb...what they do, if I'm understanding them correctly...is listen.

Are they not missing a trick there though Nick?
If only they listened    and   quietly and thoughtfully mentioned the healing nature of God's Spiritual Waters. Think of how many poor souls could be cured - and saved (if it was an atheist calling of course).
Do you not think that would be a fantastic idea?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

NicholasMarks

« Reply #351 on: October 02, 2016, 06:13:00 PM »
Are they not missing a trick there though Nick?
If only they listened    and   quietly and thoughtfully mentioned the healing nature of God's Spiritual Waters. Think of how many poor souls could be cured - and saved (if it was an atheist calling of course).
Do you not think that would be a fantastic idea?

The irony is that you can ridicule me, the helpers, and those who desparately need help in one breath, Seb.

Even you can realise that people who need this help are in no mood to talk Godly things...like you they have a history of foresaking him, though in their desparation they may have cried out for help and found nothing, because they don't know how God works. It is a slow, solid, emotional, repair mechanism...but, be warned of the aggressive uncaring souls that are all around you because they will push your face back in the mud quicker than you can bat your eyes.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #352 on: October 02, 2016, 06:40:37 PM »

The irony is that you can ridicule me, the helpers, and those who desparately need help in one breath, Seb.

Even you can realise that people who need this help are in no mood to talk Godly things...like you they have a history of foresaking him, though in their desparation they may have cried out for help and found nothing, because they don't know how God works. It is a slow, solid, emotional, repair mechanism...but, be warned of the aggressive uncaring souls that are all around you because they will push your face back in the mud quicker than you can bat your eyes.
But Nick if only there was some way of letting then know that they have forsaken him (not sure how you know that but anyway) and that there is a way to show them how God works.
Are you saying that would be a bad thing to do?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Khatru

« Reply #353 on: October 02, 2016, 08:33:09 PM »

A lot of what I say Khatru is based upon my own personal experience. What Jesus promises is that God will provide exactly what we need according to the prayer we make. This is providing we are trying to be righteous and providing we stick to the regulations regarding prayer that Jesus taught us.

You claim to know how to pray and you also claim to know the truth.  Therefore, there can be no better person than you to make a selfless, righteous prayer.

Please, pray to your god to cure every child that is currently sick and dying.  I ask nothing for me a d I know you will ask nothing for yourself.  Please do this sincerely, honestly and from the heart and surelynyour god will save the little children.

all Khatru can see is if we want to win on the lottery it is God's duty to listen and pay up.

No, that's deliberately disingenuous.

Intercessory prayer is made with the best if intentions yet it fails time amd time again.

Why is this?  Why doesn't God step in and save the life of an infantbstruck down with me ingitis or leukaemia?  Christians pray, not for themselves but for the child, het more often than not, the child dies.

Using your logic means that for some reason, your god has decided that the prayers aren't righteous.

You know what?  Maybe you're right and the Bible god sees right through the phoney goodness and virtue and sees it as it truly is.  That is the vast majority of believers couldn't care less whether a child lives or dies and their prayers are just an attempt to score brownie points with their god.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

floo

« Reply #354 on: October 03, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »
(((((That is the vast majority of believers couldn't care less whether a child lives or dies and their prayers are just an attempt to score brownie points with their god.)))))

I don't believe that to be true at all, of course most care, I just don't believe god exists to answer their prayers.

Khatru

« Reply #355 on: October 03, 2016, 08:07:15 PM »
(((((That is the vast majority of believers couldn't care less whether a child lives or dies and their prayers are just an attempt to score brownie points with their god.)))))

I don't believe that to be true at all, of course most care, I just don't believe god exists to answer their prayers.

Of course their god doesn't exist. 

I was using Nicky's own logic - he said that prayers have to be righteous to succeed.

What's wrong with praying that someone doesn't die?  Apparently plenty, given the rate of failure.

Hence my remark that maybe the believer's motives were to impress their god rather than to offer up an honest prayer to try and convince their god to intervene and save a life.

Of course, if Nick really knew his Bible he'd realise that no one is righteous.

"As it is written there is no one righteous, not even one"

Romans 3:10

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker