Author Topic: Faith & Belief: Induction vs Deduction  (Read 15158 times)

SwordOfTheSpirit

Faith & Belief: Induction vs Deduction
« on: September 26, 2016, 12:10:51 PM »
The thoughts I’ll present here have come out of response to the ‘Cold Case Christianity’ thread, so I’ll be repeating some of what I said there. There may be something here for the believer and non-believer!

Essentially, there are two approaches to trying to establish whether or not something is true: An inductive one and a deductive one. The inductive approach involves reasoning to try and establish a truth in the absence of certainty, the deductive approach uses reasoning where certainty is guaranteed, hence is based on an established truth. To illustrate:

Inductive: I observed an animal with four legs. Cats have four legs. Therefore the animal I saw was a cat
The process can be flawed as it is not guaranteed to arrive at the correct conclusion, therefore it must be falsifiable. Again, because certainty cannot be guaranteed, it has to be believed by faith.

Deductive: I observed a cat. A cat has four legs. Therefore the cat I saw had four legs.
A reasonable deduction as a property of a cat is that it has four legs.

I would suggest that a fundamental problem that occurs in many debates here is that a deductive approach is being used by some of the non-believers here whereas an inductive one is needed. Since a deductive approach is based on what should be certain, it is true by default, therefore anything that contradicts it is false by default! Therefore there is no way for any believer to provide the non-believer with the kind of evidence they are looking for, if a deductive approach is being used. Whether intentional or not, all causes/effects having natural causes/explanations is taken as true, therefore all deductions are based on this.

Instead, what is needed is an inductive approach. It is necessary because one is trying to establish truth in the absence of certainty. It is not an unreasonable one because one can use skills/techniques already being used in other situations, e.g .the approach of the detective in the ‘Cold Case Christianity’ thread. It would seem that this approach is not considered because certainty (i.e. lack of guesswork) cannot be guaranteed.

If one looks carefully at the philosophical arguments used against religious belief, I would suggest that they are all based on deduction, which is why my first posts on this forum were all challenging the basis for that deduction. A classic is Bertrand Russell’s Parable of the Celestial Teapot, which assumes that there is no reasoning basis behind religious belief. If someone claimed that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit and claimed that it is too small to be observed by telescopes, I would be investigating what their claim is then based on? The reality is that this isn’t going to happen because it is clear that the concept is made up. By then comparing it to religious belief, the implication is that religious belief is also made up. Can you see the deductive process at work here?

If an individual is really interested in establishing truth for themselves, they need to do their own research, which will (or should) be inductive by nature. Responses from believers here could assist with that. Sadly, what I have seen is a deductive process used by some non-believers, which is why the answers from Christians have all been deemed to be unsatisfactory (summarized in the Are we done here? thread) and why believers who post here regularly find that they are subjected to a never-ending list of questioning which never get anywhere.
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

SusanDoris

Re: Faith & Belief: Induction vs Deduction
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:41:19 PM »
Define 'religious belief'! The gods, deities, spirits, invisiible entities, etc, etc which appear to be an essential part of beliefs are made up by humans.

I wonder if you have noticed how there have been no new gods for a very long time. In my opinion, this is because no such new god would stand a chance against the vast knowledge of real things and true facts available today.

Would you suggest that children should be taught the kind of inductive reasoning you are suggesting here? If so, how would you justify it?
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »
Sword,

The thoughts I’ll present here have come out of response to the ‘Cold Case Christianity’ thread, so I’ll be repeating some of what I said there. There may be something here for the believer and non-believer!

Essentially, there are two approaches to trying to establish whether or not something is true: An inductive one and a deductive one. The inductive approach involves reasoning to try and establish a truth in the absence of certainty, the deductive approach uses reasoning where certainty is guaranteed, hence is based on an established truth. To illustrate:

Inductive: I observed an animal with four legs. Cats have four legs. Therefore the animal I saw was a cat

The process can be flawed as it is not guaranteed to arrive at the correct conclusion, therefore it must be falsifiable. Again, because certainty cannot be guaranteed, it has to be believed by faith.

No it doesn’t because it doesn’t “have to be believed” with certainty at all. It might be thought to be probabilistically true depending on the quality and size of the premises set – for example, if swans are seen to be white a million times then it’s a reasonable conclusion to think, “swans are probably white” - but that says nothing to the possibility of another answer – eg a black swan.

Deductive: I observed a cat. A cat has four legs. Therefore the cat I saw had four legs.

A reasonable deduction as a property of a cat is that it has four legs.

Is a cat with a leg missing no longer a cat?

In deductive reasoning the conclusion must be true if the premises on which it relies are true, but even then the phenomenon of unknown unknowns means we cannot be certain that the premises are true.

I would suggest that a fundamental problem that occurs in many debates here is that a deductive approach is being used by some of the non-believers here whereas an inductive one is needed. Since a deductive approach is based on what should be certain, it is true by default, therefore anything that contradicts it is false by default! Therefore there is no way for any believer to provide the non-believer with the kind of evidence they are looking for, if a deductive approach is being used. Whether intentional or not, all causes/effects having natural causes/explanations is taken as true, therefore all deductions are based on this.

This is pretty convoluted stuff, but yes – if the “believer” cannot establish that his premises are true, then there’s no way to argue deductively that the conclusion is true. This is though a problem for the believer I’d have thought. If deductive reasoning can’t work, he needs to suggest something else that can.     

Instead, what is needed is an inductive approach. It is necessary because one is trying to establish truth in the absence of certainty.

All truths are established in the absence of certainty, but ok…

It is not an unreasonable one because one can use skills/techniques already being used in other situations, e.g .the approach of the detective in the ‘Cold Case Christianity’ thread.

No, the problem there comes from trying to use the naturalistic methods of cold case criminology to investigate non-naturalistic claims and assertions. It’s a basic category error. 

It would seem that this approach is not considered because certainty (i.e. lack of guesswork) cannot be guaranteed.

That too – or, to put it another way, the claims of the believer cannot be distinguished from guessing. 

If one looks carefully at the philosophical arguments used against religious belief, I would suggest that they are all based on deduction, which is why my first posts on this forum were all challenging the basis for that deduction. A classic is Bertrand Russell’s Parable of the Celestial Teapot, which assumes that there is no reasoning basis behind religious belief. If someone claimed that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit and claimed that it is too small to be observed by telescopes, I would be investigating what their claim is then based on? The reality is that this isn’t going to happen because it is clear that the concept is made up. By then comparing it to religious belief, the implication is that religious belief is also made up. Can you see the deductive process at work here?

You’ve completely misunderstood the point of Russell’s teapot. Whether or not you assume a priori that “God” and the teapot are just made up is irrelevant. Rather all it concerns itself with is the negative proof fallacy – ie, that not being able to falsify means it's true.

If an individual is really interested in establishing truth for themselves, they need to do their own research, which will (or should) be inductive by nature. Responses from believers here could assist with that.

How? What methods would these believers propose to investigate their claims other than naturalistic ones?

Sadly, what I have seen is a deductive process used by some non-believers, which is why the answers from Christians have all been deemed to be unsatisfactory (summarized in the Are we done here? thread) and why believers who post here regularly find that they are subjected to a never-ending list of questioning which never get anywhere.

That’s not the problem. That thread concerned the use of arguments by believers that are demonstrably false arguments. If you or any other believer has an argument for an objective, true for you too god though that isn't fallacious then it’s for you – finally – to make it. That is to say, the burden of proof continues to be all yours.

Good luck with it though! 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:14:12 PM by bluehillside »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

torridon

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 01:24:26 PM »

If an individual is really interested in establishing truth for themselves, they need to do their own research, which will (or should) be inductive by nature. Responses from believers here could assist with that. Sadly, what I have seen is a deductive process used by some non-believers, which is why the answers from Christians have all been deemed to be unsatisfactory (summarized in the Are we done here? thread) and why believers who post here regularly find that they are subjected to a never-ending list of questioning which never get anywhere.

By your own admission, an 'inductive' approach can only get you to a faith position, at best.  I don't see that advances your case at all.

Samuel

• geology rocks
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »
there have been no new gods for a very long time

I disagree - money, the market, the idea of 'progress', - we don't call them gods but they function in the same way by provide social cohesion and identity through mutually shared delusion.   
A lot of people don't believe that the loch ness monster exists. Now, I don't know anything about zooology, biology, geology, herpetology, evolutionary theory, evolutionary biology, marine biology, cryptozoology, palaeontology or archaeology... but I think... what if a dinosaur got into the lake?

torridon

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 01:27:19 PM »
I disagree - money, the market, the idea of 'progress', - we don't call them gods but they function in the same way by provide social cohesion and identity through mutually shared delusion.

I don't think we are expected to worship the market ...

SusanDoris

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 02:03:40 PM »
The difference is that we know these things exist and can show the evidence for them.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 02:49:51 PM »
Quote from: SusanDoris
Define 'religious belief'! The gods, deities, spirits, invisiible entities, etc, etc which appear to be an essential part of beliefs are made up by humans.
Since this is the Christian Topic forum, why not start with the Christian faith? Pick any positive claim made by any Christian regarding their faith and apply an inductive process to it.

I wonder if you have noticed how there have been no new gods for a very long time. In my opinion, this is because no such new god would stand a chance against the vast knowledge of real things and true facts available today.
In my opinion, there are essentially three options
a) No God
b) One God
c) more than one God

There are only three religions dealing with the One God scenario: Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Would you suggest that children should be taught the kind of inductive reasoning you are suggesting here?
Absolutely!

If so, how would you justify it?
The main reason is because it is a process we use inherently when we want to determine what is true, but no certainty is available.

I gave an example on another thread about getting on a bus. If I want to get from A to B, I cannot prove that the bus will get me there. It is an inductive process that leads to the choice to use the bus service and the proof comes when (or if) I get off the bus at the other end.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 03:04:24 PM »
Quote from: bluehillside
In deductive reasoning the conclusion must be true if the premises on which it relies are true, but even then the phenomenon of unknown unknowns means we cannot be certain that the premises are true.
Which is why you cannot apply a deductive process to establish with 100% certainty whether or not something is true.

If deductive reasoning can’t work, he needs to suggest something else that can.
I already have :) It's called an inductive approach.

No, the problem there comes from trying to use the naturalistic methods of cold case criminology to investigate non-naturalistic claims and assertions. It’s a basic category error.
I disagree. The aim is to establish truth. Whether it's a claim about the natural or supernatural, it is still truth.

You’ve completely misunderstood the point of Russell’s teapot. Whether or not you assume a priori that “God” and the teapot are just made up is irrelevant. Rather all it concerns itself with is the negative proof fallacy – ie, that not being able to falsify means it's true.
But that is not what's being done. I haven't seen any Christian here claiming that the Christian faith is true because no-one can disprove it. That's why it is a faith, a belief. Richard Dawkins makes the same mistake in The God Delusion

That is to say, the burden of proof continues to be all yours.
The burden of proof lies with the one making the claim. That is how truth works.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 03:04:55 PM »
The mistake you are making SwordOfTheSpirit is that your reasoning suggests that everyone wants to get to the truth and further more are able to use their mind in a solid, reasoning way. Some do...some don't.

My approach is to explain the detail that lightens the burden of their hysterical thought processes so that objectors to Jesus' teaching can feel the benefit of the repair processes he encourages as an atribute that works alongside his teaching but...like Jesus said...They will not listen. 

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »
By your own admission, an 'inductive' approach can only get you to a faith position, at best.  I don't see that advances your case at all.
Faith leads to action. If I use an induction approach to determine if a bus can get me from place X to place Y, it is faith that leads me to go to the bus stop, wait for the bus, get on it and get off (hopefully!) at the other end.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 03:09:44 PM »
The difference is that we know these things exist and can show the evidence for them.
Which is a deductive process!

Truth is supported by evidence, but not all truth can be established with certainty if one has to start with the evidence. In such cases, an inductive approach is needed.

Samuel

• geology rocks
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 03:20:48 PM »

this is a derail so I'm going to leave you to have the last word after this... I am so terribly, terribly gracious like that.  ;)

Money, the market and the idea of 'progress' are all subjective realities. There is no evidence for them beyond people all agreeing that they exist. Take away people and all those things disappear, just like god(s). Their effects are evident in the behaviour of people just like religion.

But listen, I'm not saying these things have equal status, or equal value, just that they are the same, functionally, as the imagined existence of god. Its just these days many cultures  don't need god, but we do need money, and the market and the idea of 'progress'.
A lot of people don't believe that the loch ness monster exists. Now, I don't know anything about zooology, biology, geology, herpetology, evolutionary theory, evolutionary biology, marine biology, cryptozoology, palaeontology or archaeology... but I think... what if a dinosaur got into the lake?

torridon

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 03:58:22 PM »
Faith leads to action. If I use an induction approach to determine if a bus can get me from place X to place Y, it is faith that leads me to go to the bus stop, wait for the bus, get on it and get off (hopefully!) at the other end.

A degree of faith (small 'f') is inevitable in daily life, that doesn't mean it is a desirable.  In principal it is better avoided where possible; faith tends to licence people to hold whatever beliefs they like without due justification.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 04:13:17 PM »
Sword,

In my opinion, there are essentially three options

a) No God
b) One God
c) more than one God

You missed a couple:

d) There is no cogent reason to think that there is a god/are gods – a-theism

e) I have no idea what you mean by "God" (and nor I suspect have you) – ig-nosticism

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 04:20:37 PM »
Sword,

You missed a couple:

d) There is no cogent reason to think that there is a god/are gods – a-theism

e) I have no idea what you mean by "God" (and nor I suspect have you) – ig-nosticism

He's not talking about positions though. He is making a case for logical optiions. I don't think the trichotomy he outs up works though as it seems to leave out the concept of time. All three states may happen at different times. So he would need to add 'at any single point in time'  before the set of statements

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 04:23:46 PM »

There are only three religions dealing with the One God scenario: Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

And Islam accuses Christianity of polytheism; Judaism*, though prepared to think Jesus was a wandering preacher who had some largely traditional Jewish ideas (depending which parts of the gospels are accepted) refutes the idea that he was God incarnate (whatever that means).
Christianity, though claiming the other two are monotheisms, insists that Judaism went astray, and that Islam is heresy (Dante treats it as such in his Divina Commedia).

*It also seems clear that early Judaism was henotheistic.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 04:24:31 PM »
Sword,

Which is why you cannot apply a deductive process to establish with 100% certainty whether or not something is true.

You cannot apply any method to establish "with 100% certainty whether or not something is true". How would you eliminate the possibility of unknown unknowns?

Truths are probabilistic - necessarily so. 

I already have :) It's called an inductive approach.

No you haven't. Inductive reasoning is a method of logic. Logic is naturalistic. Your conjecture concerns the (supposed) supernatural.

You're back to taking your Geiger counter to the ballet again. One method does not fit all.

Your only way out of that is to posit a supernatural that's a little bit natural when it needs to be - perhaps with just enough logic for inductive reasoning to apply, and maybe with a bit of gravity too so the chairs don't fly around the place. It's all arbitrary and casuistic of course, but hey it's a problem of your own making.

I disagree. The aim is to establish truth. Whether it's a claim about the natural or supernatural, it is still truth.

That might be the aim but you can't apply naturalistic methods to supernatural claims. That would be special pleading - "there is the supernatural, but just now and again it obeys the rules of naturalism" or some such.

But that is not what's being done. I haven't seen any Christian here claiming that the Christian faith is true because no-one can disprove it.

I suggest you read some of Hope's posts. He's a big fan of the NPF.

That's why it is a faith, a belief.

Which is no doubt lovely for the person holding it, but there's no path from opinion to fact.

Richard Dawkins makes the same mistake in The God Delusion

No he doesn't.

The burden of proof lies with the one making the claim. That is how truth works.

Finally! Right, here then is your claim: "God".

Go for it!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:30:50 PM by bluehillside »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
NS,

He's not talking about positions though. He is making a case for logical optiions. I don't think the trichotomy he outs up works though as it seems to leave out the concept of time. All three states may happen at different times. So he would need to add 'at any single point in time'  before the set of statements

The word he used was "options". Perhaps we should let him tell us what he meant by it.

I agree in principle re "time", though as I understand it those who posit "God" place him "outside time and space" so it's all a bit messy in any case.

God

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 04:28:59 PM »
Finally! Right, here then is your claim: "God".

Go for it!

I wait with baited breath.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 04:31:43 PM »
Dicky,

I wait with baited breath.

I'll alert the medical services!

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »
NS,

The word he used was "options". Perhaps we should let him tell us what he meant by it.

I agree in principle re "time", though as I understand it those who posit "God" place him "outside time and space" so it's all a bit messy in any case.
not all gods that are believed in exist outside of time, and the phrasing of the options uses time as a concept.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:44:14 PM by Nearly Sane »

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 04:50:02 PM »
not all gods that are believed in exist outside of time, and the phrasing of the options uses time as a concept.

Indeed, and I suppose that some Christians think that God is both within time and outside it as well. Mormons (who claim to be Christian) certainly believe in a God who is constrained by time - he actually has a physical abode as well - near a star called Kolob.

I once read a debate on the subtle differences between 'eternal' and 'everlasting' (the latter being temporal). Unfortunately these differences are only apparent in English (God is an Englishman?)

Le Bon David

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 04:51:26 PM »
Indeed, and I suppose that some Christians think that God is both within time and outside it as well. Mormons (who claim to be Christian) certainly believe in a God who is constrained by time - he actually has a physical abode as well - near a star called Kolob.
I always read the name and think of it spelt backwards with added s

Enki

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 04:52:24 PM »

If I use an induction approach, based, in this case, on a lack of evidence that such a bus exists, that, even if it did, there is no previous knowledge that it has ever travelled from X to Y, or even that it has ever come to this bus stop at a pre-arranged time in order to do just that, then my trust in arriving at this bus stop, based upon the probability of that event happening, would not be justified. There would, of course, be no certainty involved, only a lack of trust based upon inductive processes.

Where does that get me, as regards Christianity, for instance?  I see no evidence for your God, hence the only way in which I could accept one would be, not by any induction process at all, but by faith.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright