Author Topic: Faith & Belief: Induction vs Deduction  (Read 15159 times)

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: Faith & Belief: Induction vs Deduction
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2016, 02:55:37 PM »
Do you actually believe in anything yourself, Gordon, or is your whole aim to debunk everything other people believe?  Lets hear it, and see if you can take a bit of flack yourself.

I'm not making any claims - just responding to the claims of others.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2016, 02:58:33 PM »
Do you actually believe in anything yourself, Gordon, or is your whole aim to debunk everything other people believe?  Lets hear it, and see if you can take a bit of flack yourself.
I believe Sword doesn't understand how induction and deduction works.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2016, 04:29:16 PM »
Moderator A number of posts were removed from this thread as they were a derail arising from harassment of a poster.

This post will be removed in due course

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »
NS,

Moderator A number of posts were removed from this thread as they were a derail arising from harassment of a poster.

This post will be removed in due course

OK - thanks.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:42:08 PM by bluehillside »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Jack Knave

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2016, 07:34:45 PM »
I believe Sword doesn't understand how induction and deduction works.
Sword's induction example in their OP was wrong. They either don't understand induction or were trying a fast one.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2016, 11:05:38 AM »
Quote from: Nearly Sane
ERM that's deduction you have done there
ERM, that's why I said
First I had to go study to understand the theological perspective.
The question is a trick question so I used deduction based on my understanding of the Bible to resolve the apparent contradiction, as you spotted.
Quote from: Nearly Sane
and one that misrepresents Sassy's views.
Your belief/opinion, or can you outline why?
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2016, 11:13:28 AM »
Quote from: Gordon
Which is an argument from authority, and I suspect that both Sass and Alien will consider that they are right and the other is wrong, which implies that perhaps you are wrong in saying that  they are both right.
I'll see what either have to say and then go from there.
Quote from: Gordon
Then of course there is the issue of demonstrating this 'trinity' thing without reaching for a fallacious argument from authority or tradition.
Both Sass and Alien are believers in God who I assume are basing their reasoning on the Bible, so there is a common frame of reference. Sebastian Toe's question was a theological one, but not one with the intention of learning anything, more to try and point out a perceived contradiction.

SusanDoris

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2016, 12:22:47 PM »
Sword of the Spirit

This is a bit of a tangent, but since you mention theology, I wonder if you can give me one fact that a theologian knows, really knows about the god they believe in?
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2016, 12:26:33 PM »
Sebastian Toe's question was a theological one, but not one with the intention of learning anything, more to try and point out a perceived contradiction.
Nope, I do want to learn
I want to learn if you can convince Sassy that Jesus is God , God the son, or whatever spin you want to put on it.
Or convince Alien or any trinitatian on this board for that matter that Jesus is not divine and not God or God the son - but - the son of God.

..using your induction method.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »
But Jesus as God the Son cannot be God the Father, which is Sassy’s point. So both are correct, from a Christian theological perspective.
So Christianity is polytheistic. OK, that's fine.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »
Sword of the Spirit

This is a bit of a tangent, but since you mention theology, I wonder if you can give me one fact that a theologian knows, really knows about the god they believe in?
How are you demonstrating that a brain knows anything SusanDoris?

Enki

« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2016, 04:19:26 PM »
ERM, that's why I said The question is a trick question so I used deduction based on my understanding of the Bible to resolve the apparent contradiction, as you spotted.Your belief/opinion, or can you outline why?

No, it wasn't a trick question at all. It is in fact a question which has bedevilled Christianity since its earliest days.

However, your failure to use induction to reach any sort of clear resolution to this problem represents a major fail on your part, as that is what you were asked to do. And yet wasn't it you who suggested that it was the unbeliever who was much more inclined to use deduction, rather than induction? I don't think it is even clever to say that both the trinitarian and the unitarian are right, as you seem to suggest, especially as Sass has said:

God and Jesus Christ are two separate persons. God is not a human being nor has he ever been a  man. Jesus is fully human and always has been. His nature is divine. But he is not God.God was with him and spoke through him.

It just seems to be a device that you are using to avoid answering the question. Are you intending to be a politician, by any chance?

From my point of view, one of the major arguments used by many Christians for the reality of your God is based upon the statement that the Bible(and, especially the NT), is the literal or inspired word of God. Anything which rests upon such a certain premise is surely deductive in nature, and, furthermore, is totally reliant upon faith that this premise is correct. All the rest is interpretation.

I probably prefer a much more abductive approach, using as objective(intersubjective) a method as possible to ascertain any evidence/lack of evidence, which may then  end(provisionally) by surmising the most probable explanation. In this way then, would I(if I had sufficient interest) subject the book 'Cold Case Christianity' to critical examination in the same way that I would subject Bart Ehrman's 'Misquoting Jesus' or C.S.Lewis's 'Mere Christianity' or 'Miracles'.

Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2016, 12:13:10 AM »
http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?action=post;quote=637322;topic=12577.50;last_msg=637401First I had to go study to understand the theological perspective. According to the Bible, the Trinity consists of
1. God the Father
2. God the Son (Jesus)
3. God the Holy Spirit.
Jesus was God incarnate, so Alien is correct. But Jesus as God the Son cannot be God the Father, which is Sassy’s point. So both are correct, from a Christian theological perspective.

From Sassy's posts.
Do you induct from these that she agrees with your statement that Jesus is God , the son?

By declaring Jesus to be God we are disobeying God.
In Luke the Angel tells Mary that Jesus is a Holy thing... that he is to be called the Son of God.

Eternal life is knowing the only true God and Jesus Christ whom the only true God sent.

What is it you believe to be 'not accurate' about Christ being the Son of God?

Given the teaching that the son of perdition would make himself out to be God, then the real danger becomes the Christians have a false religion if they believe Christ is God and not as God commanded the Son of God.

Luke 1`
Reign over the house of Jacob forever and of his kingdom there shall be no end. Is that referring to the reign over the house of Jacob? Is it for the Jews only the house of Jacob?

Clearly the Angel tells Mary....

Christ a Holy Thing... things which belong to God were called Holy.  Christ was and is to be called the Son of God.

Being called Holy or a Holy People of God does not make us God.

Do the Anglicans believe what God has told them that Jesus is the Son of God or do they go beyond the teachings and say that Jesus is God.

You miss the point Spud... Son of God is to equal himself with God not become God or replace God.

At no time did Christ call himself God. By calling himself the Son of God he then became equal in that he was like God.

In fact just by looking at the actual bible passages you can see that God is God and Jesus is the Son of God. You like many others DO NOT read and know what the bible actually says.

You cannot change the truth that God himself is the power of the highest. That the Holy things is and cannot be changed the Son of God.
God himself is Holy and Christ belongs to God which makes him a Holy Thing. It does not make him God.

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2016, 01:50:36 PM »
To be honest, no!

Theologians don’t have to be believers. The approach taken to the Bible (or other religious texts) tends to be an academic one, so they are not necessarily coming to it with a belief that (any of)  it is true. There’s a couple of high-profile theologians that appear on programmes like The Big Questions or Sunday Morning Live and I find myself disagreeing with nearly everything they say sometimes!

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »
Nope, I do want to learn
I want to learn if you can convince Sassy that Jesus is God , God the son, or whatever spin you want to put on it.
Or convince Alien or any trinitatian on this board for that matter that Jesus is not divine and not God or God the son - but - the son of God.

Quote from: enki
However, your failure to use induction to reach any sort of clear resolution to this problem represents a major fail on your part, as that is what you were asked to do. And yet wasn't it you who suggested that it was the unbeliever who was much more inclined to use deduction, rather than induction?

The thoughts for my opening post on Induction v Deduction for faith and belief came from considerations of the Cold-Case Christianity thread. The type of issues being addressed were e.g.
- Does the supernatural exist
- Did Jesus Christ rise from the dead, etc.

I mentioned an inductive process because one is trying to establish whether something is true or not, starting with the evidence. Certainty cannot be guaranteed, so if one concludes that what they are investigating is true, it will be believed by faith. I mentioned that I thought that some atheists were using deduction because there seemed to be an assumption that there are only natural causes and explanations. Under such a worldview, dead people don’t rise from the dead, so stating that Jesus Christ didn’t rise from the dead is a deduction from that.

If one were trying to establish whether or not God exists, then I would support an inductive process. However Sebastian Toe’s question assumes the existence of God and assumes that the Bible is the Word of God. Therefore any debate about the nature of the trinity will be deductions based on an understanding of the Bible. An inductive process cannot be applied.

Personally, I didn’t like the question because not only was it inviting me to use an incorrect approach, it also put me in an invidious position and that is why I saw it as a trick question. With hindsight, I should have said all this at the time. Lesson learnt.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2016, 01:59:06 PM »
The thoughts for my opening post on Induction v Deduction for faith and belief came from considerations of the Cold-Case Christianity thread. The type of issues being addressed were e.g.
- Does the supernatural exist
- Did Jesus Christ rise from the dead, etc.

I mentioned an inductive process because one is trying to establish whether something is true or not, starting with the evidence. Certainty cannot be guaranteed, so if one concludes that what they are investigating is true, it will be believed by faith. I mentioned that I thought that some atheists were using deduction because there seemed to be an assumption that there are only natural causes and explanations. Under such a worldview, dead people don’t rise from the dead, so stating that Jesus Christ didn’t rise from the dead is a deduction from that.

If one were trying to establish whether or not God exists, then I would support an inductive process. However Sebastian Toe’s question assumes the existence of God and assumes that the Bible is the Word of God. Therefore any debate about the nature of the trinity will be deductions based on an understanding of the Bible. An inductive process cannot be applied.

Personally, I didn’t like the question because not only was it inviting me to use an incorrect approach, it also put me in an invidious position and that is why I saw it as a trick question. With hindsight, I should have said all this at the time. Lesson learnt.
Are you saying then that you cannot be certain that Jesus is God  ( or not )?
Albert Einstein

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2016, 08:17:24 PM »
Therefore any debate about the nature of the trinity will be deductions based on an understanding of the Bible. An inductive process cannot be applied.

Even so, this could be a spurious deduction unless it is first established that the Bible is reliable in its description of this 'trinity' notion.

If, on this matter, the reliability of the Bible is presumed because it is 'the word of god' or 'god breathed', because the Bible says so, then its assumed reliability would involve circular reasoning, and in addition a fallacious argument from authority.

You'd need to firstly demonstrate 'god' before demonstrating its attributes else, as noted above, you can't escape from the risk of your thinking being fallacious if it is based on your 'understanding' of the Bible.

floo

« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
Faith and belief are based on how one interprets the Bible. It is open to so many interpretations, some weirder than others, hence the myriad doctrines, dogmas, sects and cults which have sprung up all based on Christianity.

Sassy

« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2016, 12:06:33 AM »
Nope, I do want to learn

Jesus is the Son of God and divine in nature as a human man. To die for mankind like Adam he had to be fully human.As Moses was made like a god unto Pharaoh he did not become God himself. Jesus was made like God in power to mankind to reveal God himself not become God himself.

In an instance when Christ returns they will know that people who know him do as he did and what he told them.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

floo

« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2016, 08:21:30 AM »
Jesus is the Son of God and divine in nature as a human man. To die for mankind like Adam he had to be fully human.As Moses was made like a god unto Pharaoh he did not become God himself. Jesus was made like God in power to mankind to reveal God himself not become God himself.

In an instance when Christ returns they will know that people who know him do as he did and what he told them.

Your belief to which you are entitled, but it isn't one that can be substantiated.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2016, 09:29:23 AM »
Your belief to which you are entitled, but it isn't one that can be substantiated.
For once, floo, I - and most Christians - agree with you. Sass is at variance with mainstream Christian thought on the Triune nature of God.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2016, 10:22:17 AM »
That is true, Anchor, but in fairness I think Floo would say mainstream Christian thought on the Triune nature of God cannot be substantiated either.

Although I am a believer in the Trinity, I can see where Sassy is coming from on this issue and don't feel that it is a major deal, merely a difference of opinion/interpretation.  I know many will be down on me like a ton of bricks for that but, honestly, it makes sense to me though doesn't alter my belief.  Just one of those things where we can agree to differ.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2016, 10:43:48 AM »
I can argue theology with the best of 'em, Brownie. However hours of attempting to fall asleep in uni during theology drones/lectures kind of indoctrinated (yes, I know......) me againt a lot of the jargon some post as a defence of thier argument. Some apologetics is so high brow that it loses the essence of what the Gospel is, and who it  concerns. As Alen has no doubt argued in umpteen threads here, the original Koine Greek was not as black and white as our modern languages (including contemporary Greek) are. The sense of the setting of the word and phrase are almost as important as the words themselves. I sometimes think we make a great mistake when we cherry pick specific verses in Scripture - because no such numbering existed at the time. Not only the original Koine Greek words, but the sense and context of their placing in the Gospel narrative, tend to show that Jesus was no man infused with God's Spirit for His time on earth (very Gnostic stuff, by the way ), but God Himself. The Gospel writers try to encapsulate this mind blowing concept in their work, writing to Jews mainly - Jews to whom the very idea was something they were brought up to abhor. Though we may consider some of the language beautiful, or inspiring, I have the feeling - just a feeling, mind you, that the writers were really struggling with vocabulary when they tried to put on paper what was something entirely new to their thought process. Though the Holy Spirit was within them, teaching and using them, they were, after all, only human.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2016, 11:16:43 AM »
If I use an induction approach, based, in this case, on a lack of evidence that such a bus exists, that, even if it did, there is no previous knowledge that it has ever travelled from X to Y, or even that it has ever come to this bus stop at a pre-arranged time in order to do just that, then my trust in arriving at this bus stop, based upon the probability of that event happening, would not be justified. There would, of course, be no certainty involved, only a lack of trust based upon inductive processes.

Where does that get me, as regards Christianity, for instance?  I see no evidence for your God, hence the only way in which I could accept one would be, not by any induction process at all, but by faith.
I think there has to be a point where one links the immeasurable to the immeasurable or shoe horn it into what one knows, in other words ''The movement of Matter''

floo

« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2016, 11:24:24 AM »
That is true, Anchor, but in fairness I think Floo would say mainstream Christian thought on the Triune nature of God cannot be substantiated either.

Although I am a believer in the Trinity, I can see where Sassy is coming from on this issue and don't feel that it is a major deal, merely a difference of opinion/interpretation.  I know many will be down on me like a ton of bricks for that but, honestly, it makes sense to me though doesn't alter my belief.  Just one of those things where we can agree to differ.

A matter of faith cannot be substantiated, however sincerely the believer believes it to be true. Of course unbelievers cannot say for sure there is no god either, but as I have said many times the default position is unbelief without the evidence to verify the existence of any god.