Author Topic: Pat Robertson and U S Evangelical Christianity show their ugliest of faces again  (Read 13039 times)

Brownie

• Faith evolves
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Why do the highlighted words not surprise me? I have yet to see a religious group that you do NOT know a 'lot' of or a religious doctrine extant anywhere in the world that you are NOT completely or partially familiar with.

As to your figures 3.2 million people, of any religion, who adhere to the same views as expressed by this man are about 3.19999999999 million too many.
Well, Owly, when one has worked abroad for 15% of one's life, and in the context of multinational INGOs, and rubbed shoulders with Africans, Australians, Kiwis, Canadians, Malaysians, Singaporeans, Americans, Europeans, and Asians, one does tend to have a pretty wide circle of friends and acquaintances.  Many have been Christians, but by no means all, and the majority of the Christians have been evangelical in outlook, but - again - not all.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Brownie

• Faith evolves
I had to look up INGO.  Do you mean, "International Non-Governmental Organization"?

Walt Zingmatilder

He changed it to Pat because he's not the Marion kind.
Brilliant pun...absolutely excellent...I only Hope my good friend Sebastian Toe has seen it.

Sebastian Toe

Brilliant pun...absolutely excellent...I only Hope my good friend Sebastian Toe has seen it.
Well it made me laugh! And after all,  that's what counts......
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Owlswing

Well, Owly, when one has worked abroad for 15% of one's life, and in the context of multinational INGOs, and rubbed shoulders with Africans, Australians, Kiwis, Canadians, Malaysians, Singaporeans, Americans, Europeans, and Asians, one does tend to have a pretty wide circle of friends and acquaintances.  Many have been Christians, but by no means all, and the majority of the Christians have been evangelical in outlook, but - again - not all.

So what? I have lived and worked with people of all the same nationalities as those you list. But I have been really lucky in my aquaintence with them in that religion was never a subject that rarely, if ever, came up in conversation! We had better things to talk about - things that really mattered - like which eatery served the best steak and where to get the best real ale!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

floo

I don't think that is true, I think they are in the minority, thank goodness.

Owlswing

I don't think that is true, I think they are in the minority, thank goodness.

I really wish it were so. It is, after all, a requirement of tgheir God that Christians take the word of their God to the unbeliever, regardless of the fact that the unbeliever may well have beliefs and values that they find far more worthwhile and relvent to both them and the orld at large than the values that Christians insist are more wotrthy just because they are contained in the Book of Historical Religious Bollocks and Chinese Whispers.

We are incapable of thinking for ourselves, we need them to think for us; we are incapable of reading their BoHRBaCW and seeing the contradictions, the impossibilities written of therein; we are incapable of researching history for ourselves withoiut one of them reading over our shoulders to 'put us right' when we 'misinterpret' something that we find written about Christianity and/or its history that they don't like, when we question the resurrection, the miracles that are unbelievable etc.

To paraphrase Shakespeare "Chritianity doth protest too much, methinks"!         
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

floo

In the US right-wing Christian extremists seem to thrive, but although we have quite a number here in the UK, I think Christians tend to be more moderate and don't go on about their faith.

Walt Zingmatilder

In the US right-wing Christian extremists seem to thrive, but although we have quite a number here in the UK, I think Christians tend to be more moderate and don't go on about their faith.
You bang on about your antitheism.

Owlswing

Contrary to Floo's comment there are at least three or four Christians who do nothing, regardless of the topic of the thread, but 'bang on' about their faith to the point where they have no other subject that they post about.

You, dear Vlad, never stop 'banging on' about your anti-antitheism and, despite your attempts at humour, pathetic as most of them are, you are, mostly, as boring as the Ultra Christians.

Should you consider 'boring' to be a personal insult, please post to that effect and I will censor the comment.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 03:29:26 PM by Owlswing »

Brownie

• Faith evolves
And you bang on about your 'not' antitheism, Vlad!

What floo says is accurate, we are as a nation far more moderate in religion and politics.  People hardly talk about religion here and we don't bother about the faiths of our politicians (if any) as long as they don't push any particular personal beliefs.  I for one am glad about that.

PS:  Just seen Owlswing's post - snap!

Sebastian Toe

You, dear Vlad, never stop 'banging on' about your anti-antitheism and, despite your attempts at humour, pathetic as most of them are,
Technically it's not 'anti antitheism' it's rabid anti secularism.
On a good point - you got the latter part absolutely spot on!
 ;)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

floo

I don't have a problem with moderate Christians, even if I don't see it their way. It is the ones who try to frighten people into conversion who do my head in! >:(

Owlswing

I don't have a problem with moderate Christians, even if I don't see it their way. It is the ones who try to frighten people into conversion who do my head in! >:(

Ditto! Did you have any particular any ones in mind?

Walt Zingmatilder

Technically it's not 'anti antitheism' it's rabid anti secularism.
On a good point - you got the latter part absolutely spot on!
 ;)
But Toe. There has to be an antidote for the problem of Secularists mis thinking that the sun shines most brightly out of their collective rectum.

Walt Zingmatilder

And you bang on about your 'not' antitheism, Vlad!

What floo says is accurate, we are as a nation far more moderate in religion and politics.  People hardly talk about religion here.
That's because of a cruel and intellectually totalitarian secularism.

SwordOfTheSpirit

But Toe. There has to be an antidote for the problem of Secularists mis thinking that the sun shines most brightly out of their collective rectum.
They mostly come out on forums where Christianity is being discussed...mostly.  ;)
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

Owlswing

They mostly come out on forums where Christianity is being discussed...mostly.  ;)

See #35

Contrary to Floo's comment there are at least three or four Christians who do nothing, regardless of the topic of the thread, but 'bang on' about their faith to the point where they have no other subject that they post about.

You, my dear Sword, are one of the breed. Your moniker is surprisingly apt, as your posts, as with the other Ultra Christians, take a sword to the spirits of anyone who wants to discuss anything except Christianity and finds that almost every attempt to discuss anything BUT Christianity turns into yet another screed trumpeting that the subject being discussed would not be being discussed if those discussing it would only admit that the problem is their refusal to follow Christ!

Even if, as in this thread, it is people who follow Christ that ARE the problem!   

SwordOfTheSpirit

You, my dear Sword, are one of the breed. Your moniker is surprisingly apt, as your posts, as with the other Ultra Christians, take a sword to the spirits of anyone who wants to discuss anything except Christianity
eh?

A lot of the religious threads on this forum degenerate into this:

There is no evidence for God/religious belief/the supernatural. Discuss.

I find it hard to believe that this happens as a result of the post of Christians.  ???
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 04:25:56 PM by SwordOfTheSpirit »
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

Sebastian Toe

eh?

I find it hard to believe that this happens as a result of the post of Christians.  ???
You can always leave if you dont like it here!
Albert Einstein

Owlswing

Eh?

Of course you find it hard! You, proverbially, are too close to see the wood for the trees.

Of course they degenerate into a "There is no evidence for God/religious belief/the supernatural. Discuss.", because you and your Ultra Christian allies are so dogmatic that your way is the only way, based upon a 2,000 year old Book of Chinese Whispers containing reams of highly dubious "proof" of the existence of your God.

You cannot even admit that your faith in your God is no different from my faith in my plethora of Gods and Goddesses - that it is no more than that - FAITH - there is no proof, yet you continue to peddle the same old hackneyed "Do as our God says or you are damned for all eternity".

Yes, we who are not Christian ARE damned for all eternity to listen to all your fallacious arguments that supposedly prove the existence of your God repeated over and over again, ad nauseam, regardless of any other subject under discussion.

And why do you keep on doing this?

Because if you do not keep on reinforcing your own beliefs by constantly trying to convert others and for you to admit that it is no more than faith, you would have to admit that there is no FACTUAL foundation to your beliefs any more thn there is any FACTUAL foundation to mine!

The difference between us?

I CAN and DO admit it, my beliefs are matters of FAITH and nothing more. So why can you and the other Ultra Christians, even the female ones, not grow a set and admit it also?   

Owlswing

You can always leave if you dont like it here!

Come on, Mr Toe! You know as well as I that our luck just ain't that good! >:(

Much as I might wish it was! ;D

Harrowby Hall

He changed it to Pat because he's not the Marion kind.

But still wanted to appear androgynous?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Walt Zingmatilder

Come on, Mr Toe! You know as well as I that our luck just ain't that good! >:(

Much as I might wish it was! ;D
I'd still be here Swing........big yellow smiley.