Author Topic: The iniquity of the Catholic church  (Read 21770 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: The iniquity of the Catholic church
« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2016, 02:20:44 PM »
Gordon blundered. I have brought this up with him.
He does say that temptation is down to biology. he said that in response to Alan. These things are undeniable Sane.

While you have been playing Igor to the monster chimera Gordon seems to have created. I have tried to get Gordon to move beyond Biologydiddit to get him to say just how temptation works and what the hell it's working on if good and evil do not exist?

No, this again is just you desperately misrepresenting Gordon. BTW I am tempted to have a doughnut now, is that evil?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #176 on: October 13, 2016, 02:21:32 PM »
as long as you don't get your ya yas out!
LOL with a big side order of ROFL.

floo

« Reply #177 on: October 13, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »
He does say that temptation is down to biology. he said that in response to Alan. These things are undeniable Sane.

While you have been playing Igor to the monster chimera Gordon seems to have created. I have tried to get Gordon to move beyond Biologydiddit to get him to say just how temptation works and what the hell it's working on if good and evil do not exist?

You can't move beyond biology.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #178 on: October 13, 2016, 02:25:26 PM »
No, this again is just you desperately misrepresenting Gordon. BTW I am tempted to have a doughnut now, is that evil?
Non sequiter and red herring. Alan clearly stated what he meant by temptation and Gordon played ball.
Have the doughnut...at least then you will have done one worthwhile thing today................snork.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2016, 02:28:07 PM »
I never said ''Biology''. I said ''Biologydiddit.''

You seem to have moved beyond it by dodging a straight answer to my questions. Do the mind,psyche and consciousness exist....yes or no?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2016, 02:30:03 PM »
which is the death knell of free will

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2016, 02:36:37 PM »
Non sequiter and red herring. Alan clearly stated what he meant by temptation and Gordon played ball.
Have the doughnut...at least then you will have done one worthwhile thing today................snork.
Except that only makes sense if you then assume Gordon accepts the existence of Satan as well. Language is not controlled in the fashion you want to dishonestly represent here. Context is important but that context includes Gordon's post itself and his known  views. That you want to ignore that just underlines your attempts at mendacious maundering.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2016, 02:38:58 PM »

No Vlad: I've described 'temptation' as a form of subjective thinking, and that thinking involves functioning biology.

You've tried, and failed since you are misrepresenting my position - which is that 'temptation' is just subjective thinking just as thoughts  on 'good' and 'evil' are subjective opinions on whatever the issue is.

Enki

« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2016, 02:41:53 PM »
It seems to me that the words, 'good' and 'evil' are only general terms used by humans in relation to acts that seem to increase/negate such things as human flourishing. This attitude, of course, may vary in any individual according to his/her neurological make up, culture etc.

Actually the word 'temptation' doesn't have to be necessarily associated with 'evil' anyway. An individual can just as easily be tempted to do what is normally accepted as 'good' actions  as 'bad' actions, it would depend to a large extent on which emotions are strongest at any particular point as to how a person would act.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »
Except that only makes sense if you then assume Gordon accepts the existence of Satan as well. Language is not controlled in the fashion you want to dishonestly represent here. Context is important but that context includes Gordon's post itself and his known  views. That you want to ignore that just underlines your attempts at mendacious maundering.
I know what Gordon believes which is why i'm surprised he engaged.......but it didnt just end there did it Sane?....because he then went on to say temptation (postulated by Alan, Sane, that is undeniable Post 103) was due to Biology.

He laid himself open at that moment to everything I said about him and asked of him....and none of which has yet been answered because there is an Igor scampering about!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2016, 02:44:39 PM »
It seems to me that the words, 'good' and 'evil' are only general terms used by humans in relation to acts that seem to increase/negate such things as human flourishing. This attitude, of course, may vary in any individual according to his/her neurological make up, culture etc.

Actually the word 'temptation' doesn't have to be necessarily associated with 'evil' anyway. An individual can just as easily be tempted to do what is normally accepted as 'good' actions  as 'bad' actions, it would depend to a large extent on which emotions are strongest at any particular point as to how a person would act.
In Alan's world though this positive temptation would surely be god doing quantum Morse code?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2016, 02:48:10 PM »
I know what Gordon believes which is why i'm surprised he engaged.......but it didnt just end there did it Sane?....because he then went on to say temptation (postulated by Alan, Sane, that is undeniable Post 103) was due to Biology.

He laid himself open at that moment to everything I said about him and asked of him....and none of which has yet been answered because there is an Igor scampering about!
When you asked, you ignored the answer, and gave continued to do so. Stop lying.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2016, 02:49:15 PM »
No Vlad: I've described 'temptation' as a form of subjective thinking, and that thinking involves functioning biology.

You've tried, and failed since you are misrepresenting my position - which is that 'temptation' is just subjective thinking just as thoughts  on 'good' and 'evil' are subjective opinions on whatever the issue is.
...And i think I pointed out that ''Biologydiddit'' is not an explanatory and cannot fail as an argument but only because it is a theory of everything but if you want to flag up that you are trying to argue specific points by using an ''argument for everything'' then be my guest.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2016, 02:54:12 PM »
You need to read #103 again Vlad in relation to Alan's #101 I was replying to.

In this he's says 'Can you define the source of this temptation?', to which I replied 'Your biology' - but this is this beforehe goes on to say 'Can you demonstrate that it does not originate from an evil source which tries to separate us from God?', which I noted was a use of the NPF. Put simply, I referenced biology in relation to his 'source' question and before he introduced the 'evil source' idea which I noted was done fallaciously.

Therefore, I'd say you need to re-read for comprehension.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2016, 02:55:45 PM »
You need to read #103 again Vlad in relation to Alan's #101 I was replying to.

In this he's says 'Can you define the source of this temptation?', to which I replied 'Your biology'
Thank you. By George I think he's got it.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2016, 02:57:17 PM »

Stop lying Vlad - I said this in #109.

'Temptation' is a label that you might ascribe to your subjective thinking regarding any personal inclination you have to do something you may also subjectively regard as being questionable, ideally best avoided or plain wrong: your ability to think on those lines, or think at all for that matter, is a feature of the relevant bits of your biology.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2016, 03:00:54 PM »
Thank you. By George I think he's got it.

Selective quoting, Vlad.

You need to read on, Vlad - try #109.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2016, 03:06:22 PM »
Stop lying Vlad - I said this in #109.
It's not about 109, it's about 103 Alan defines what he means by temptation and YOU responded.

floo

« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2016, 03:06:39 PM »

Good point.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2016, 04:22:53 PM »
Well, there is plenty of research in neuroscience on the relation between brain activity, and things such as memory, feelings, emotions, thinking, decisions, and so on.
If you accept that thoughts are made up from patterns of brain activity, you then have the problem of how this brain activity from many brain cells can be perceived as a thought by the single entity of consciousness which is you.  Compare it to a picture which is made up from thousands of individual pixels of colour, but it can only be perceived as a picture by an outside entity of observation.  The picture does not perceive itself.  I put it to you that the activity of your brain cells which relate to thought can only be perceived as thought by the single entity of perception which is the human soul.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2016, 04:25:41 PM »
If you accept that thoughts are made up from patterns of brain activity, you then have the problem of how this brain activity from many brain cells can be perceived as a thought by the single entity of consciousness which is you.  Compare it to a picture which is made up from thousands of individual pixels of colour, but it can only be perceived as a picture by an outside entity of observation.  The picture does not perceive itself.  I put it to you that the activity of your brain cells which relate to thought can only be perceived as thought by the single entity of perception which is the human soul.
that creates an infinite regress

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2016, 04:34:30 PM »
that creates an infinite regress
But then the people who state it's just electrical patterns have to answer what it is which perceives them. Just like those who talk about an illusion of self have to answer what it is which is being illuded.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2016, 04:36:44 PM »
But then the people who state it's just electrical patterns have to answer what it is which perceives them. Just like those who talk about an illusion of self have to answer what it is which is being illuded.
Don't know. You should learn to understand what that means. You make a claim, your burden of proof. No claim...

wigginhall

« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2016, 04:38:36 PM »

Well, you are moving the goal-posts, as you often do.  You were saying before that there was no connection between thinking and the brain, quote, "Until you can define what a thought is, you can't assert that it requires a functioning brain.  Thoughts may well interact with the physical brain to produce measurable brain activity, but this in no way defines the origin or nature of thought."

Now you seem to be accepting that the brain is involved.   Eh?
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2016, 04:45:49 PM »
It's not about 109, it's about 103 Alan defines what he means by temptation and YOU responded.

I did - and you are misrepresenting my response.