Author Topic: Sabbath rests...  (Read 9840 times)

Khatru

Re: Sabbath rests...
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2016, 01:21:59 PM »

The plain truth is that you have no understanding of the things I said or what the list is appertaining to because you do not know the bible. Epic fail on two counts for you. Should you really use excuses from a list done by people whom like yourself do not know the bible?

I don't understand becUse I don't know the Bible?

That's pretty close to the fourth example that's on my list:

"I don't understand because I'm not a biblical scholar"
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Sassy

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2016, 12:13:53 AM »
I don't understand becUse I don't know the Bible?

That's pretty close to the fourth example that's on my list:

"I don't understand because I'm not a biblical scholar"

Not at all...you obviously have nothing to show you have read the bible.
There is nothing on that list which represents that choice.
It is also the most likely and most truthful point to represent your lack of knowledge.

Hearsay, about verse you may have heard repeated on internet etc is not the same as reading them for yourself and so understanding the full context Christ spoke them in. Or which the Prophets spoke their words.

I do believe that is the most explanatory reason.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Khatru

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »
Hearsay, about verse you may have heard repeated on internet etc is not the same as reading them for yourself and so understanding the full context Christ spoke them in. Or which the Prophets spoke their words.

Are there any special words I need to be aware of to help me understand the message?

By "special", I mean words with definitions not found in the Oxford English Dictionary.

For example:  Words like "soon"

Dorothy Parker

floo

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2016, 11:32:28 AM »
Not at all...you obviously have nothing to show you have read the bible.
There is nothing on that list which represents that choice.
It is also the most likely and most truthful point to represent your lack of knowledge.

You read the Bible, quote endlessly from it, with your own interpretation of the texts, which don't often correlate with the thinking of others who have read it too! ::)

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »
This is what Jesus said about the Sabbath:

Matthew 12

At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. 2 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.”

3 He answered, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4 He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread—which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests. 5 Or haven’t you read in the Law that the priests on Sabbath duty in the temple desecrate the Sabbath and yet are innocent? 6 I tell you that something greater than the temple is here. 7 If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’[a] you would not have condemned the innocent. 8 For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”

9 Going on from that place, he went into their synagogue, 10 and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to bring charges against Jesus, they asked him, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”

11 He said to them, “If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? 12 How much more valuable is a person than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”

13 Then he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other. 14 But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus.

(New International Version)

--------

It shows that the Sabbath was made for man and there is no reason not to do work on that day if it is compassionate or necessary.  It doesn't mean not getting out of bed.  That is what Sassy said quite clearly.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

floo

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 12:27:44 PM »
The posts of Sass are never clear! ::)

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2016, 12:39:15 PM »
I'm not saying they are always clear - not one of us is always clear!  However what she said about the Sabbath was very clear.

Sassy

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
Are there any special words I need to be aware of to help me understand the message?

By "special", I mean words with definitions not found in the Oxford English Dictionary.

For example:  Words like "soon"

All the above post does is show two things... Your ostrich reasoning that you really can hide behind something which does not prevent the truth showing it.  "Soon" in the case of Christ not knowing the day or hour of his return can mean many things.
But what it never meant was days, weeks, months or even centuries etc. We know this because teachings like the Man/Son of perdition had to come first and all fulfilled in the bible prophecy. But  number two is what I do not understand :-  why you think all that goes away and what is written elsewhere in the bible because you think "soon" has an applicable definition given the light of all the bible has to teach.  You harping on with the word... "soon" displays your ignorance not  a valid point against Christ coming soon in the light of all that must pass.

We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

floo

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2016, 10:44:17 AM »
Sass, you are displaying your ignorance by pretending the word 'soon' means any length of time, even thousands of years!

Sassy

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2016, 11:27:40 AM »
Soon the earth could cease to exist.
Soon the sun could burn out.
Soon we might have to leave this planet and find a new one to continue to exist.

Soon we could have rain.
Soon the climate changes might mean everything too hot to survive.

Soon does not have a time attached to it. It means not just days, weeks, months, years, decades etc.
" I am coming soon." A persons life expectancy then was different to now. 2,000 years ago someone could have said, "Soon we will eat better and live longer"  But they cannot give a time or even a year.  So anyone who says "soon" can be relating to any amount of time. Christ knew he had not been given the day or the hour. So he said "Soon" how many years does a person live?
I believe because there is no time in death, the person opens their eyes immediately to the judgement day having been dead centuries in our time. Because consciousness in every persons lifetime only last so many years.
And those who live and believe in Christ shall never die. 

As the bible clearly tells us there is no difference between a thousand years and a day to God.
Then God speaking through Christ can use the term 'soon' to mean thousands of years.

Walter

« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2016, 12:49:30 PM »
Sassy

well I'm glad we got that sorted out, I was loosing sleep over it.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2016, 06:29:44 PM »
Sass, you are displaying your ignorance by pretending the word 'soon' means any length of time, even thousands of years!
I suppose it depends on the context into which one is speaking.  For instance, a friend I was talking with yesterday said that he thought that we'd soon have driverless cars as a norm.  He then went on to expand on that by saying he thought it would be in the lifetime of our children (he is 2 years older than I am).  Is 40 or 50 years 'soon' in your view?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2016, 07:55:01 PM »
I suppose it depends on the context into which one is speaking.  For instance, a friend I was talking with yesterday said that he thought that we'd soon have driverless cars as a norm.  He then went on to expand on that by saying he thought it would be in the lifetime of our children (he is 2 years older than I am).  Is 40 or 50 years 'soon' in your view?
Then he used it incorrectly. Didn't he?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

floo

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2016, 08:52:08 AM »

No

Khatru

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2016, 10:45:35 AM »
All the above post does is show two things... Your ostrich reasoning that you really can hide behind something which does not prevent the truth showing it.  "Soon" in the case of Christ not knowing the day or hour of his return can mean many things.
But what it never meant was days, weeks, months or even centuries etc. We know this because teachings like the Man/Son of perdition had to come first and all fulfilled in the bible prophecy. But  number two is what I do not understand :-  why you think all that goes away and what is written elsewhere in the bible because you think "soon" has an applicable definition given the light of all the bible has to teach.  You harping on with the word... "soon" displays your ignorance not  a valid point against Christ coming soon in the light of all that must pass.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that "soon" means "any length of time"?

Let's say someone says to you that they "will come and visit you soon" but it takes them thirty years to get around to it.

According to your rationale, the passage of thirty years fits the definition of "soon"

Right you are, Sass - please carry on.

Dorothy Parker

Khatru

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2016, 10:47:47 AM »
Soon the earth could cease to exist.
Soon the sun could burn out.
Soon we might have to leave this planet and find a new one to continue to exist.

Soon we could have rain.
Soon the climate changes might mean everything too hot to survive.

Soon does not have a time attached to it. It means not just days, weeks, months, years, decades etc.
" I am coming soon." A persons life expectancy then was different to now. 2,000 years ago someone could have said, "Soon we will eat better and live longer"  But they cannot give a time or even a year.  So anyone who says "soon" can be relating to any amount of time. Christ knew he had not been given the day or the hour. So he said "Soon" how many years does a person live?
I believe because there is no time in death, the person opens their eyes immediately to the judgement day having been dead centuries in our time. Because consciousness in every persons lifetime only last so many years.
And those who live and believe in Christ shall never die. 

As the bible clearly tells us there is no difference between a thousand years and a day to God.
Then God speaking through Christ can use the term 'soon' to mean thousands of years.

"sooner or later"

Why is that phrase in common useage?

Dorothy Parker

Khatru

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2016, 11:16:14 AM »
Mark 13:32-37
Mark 24:36-44
Luke 21;34-36

I take it you've read the above scriptures, Sass.

If you have then you will know that the focus is all on the imminent coming of the Son of Man.  The reader is told to always remain alert because the Son of Man could show up at any minute. 

Have a read of Luke 21:34 in particular.

"Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."

"Be on guard" and "about to happen"

Any sane person would read that the day is imminent.

No doubt you will have read the "Parable of the Ten Virgins" but do you truly understand its message?  I suspect you don't.

The whole point of that fable is that the master's return is imminent, in other words, any minute now and there isn't even enough time left  for the girls to hightail it to market and buy more oil. 

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour."
Matthew 25:13

This has nothing to do with ignorance of when Jesus is coming back and everything to do with its immediacy.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:05:35 PM by Khatru »

Dorothy Parker

Sassy

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2016, 01:06:02 PM »
Are you honestly trying to tell me that "soon" means "any length of time"?

Let's say someone says to you that they "will come and visit you soon" but it takes them thirty years to get around to it.

According to your rationale, the passage of thirty years fits the definition of "soon"

Right you are, Sass - please carry on.

It truly is accountable to the person using the word. If someone says he will visit me soon and it happens 30 years later, then his history of using the word and the terminology would be revealed in what soon means to him. So he says: "I hope to build a green house 'soon'."10 years later he builds his green house... then it is likely 'soo'n means -'when I can  get around to it'. So 'soon' means when they can... Otherwise they would arrange a time and date wouldn't they. There is the point 'soon' can mean any length of time. It means when I can get around to it. Christ had told us he did not have an hour or a day.
In Gods time a day is like a thousand years so 'soon' for God can be whenever however you have 140 years if you live that long. Set against a thousand you could wait a long time. :D

Sassy

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2016, 01:17:03 PM »
Mark 13:32-37
Mark 24:36-44
Luke 21;34-36

I take it you've read the above scriptures, Sass.

If you have then you will know that the focus is all on the imminent coming of the Son of Man.  The reader is told to always remain alert because the Son of Man could show up at any minute. 

Nothing imminent Christ told you he did not know the day or the hour.

Have a read of Luke 21:34 in particular.

"Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."

Would that be the Christians and the fall of Jerusalem 70 years later?

"Be on guard" and "about to happen"

Any sane person would read that the day is imminent.

The fall of Jerusalm 70 AD about did come to pass.

No doubt you will have read the "Parable of the Ten Virgins" but do you truly understand its message?  I suspect you don't.
Yes it is about living according to the Spirit being infilled continually renewing and being ready cutting the old life away (trimming their wicks) and so being renewed continually by the presence OF the Holy Spirit. Others teaching you who are in Spirit cannot save you.
You must have your own supply.

I guess sometimes people do not read the bible with any understanding.

The whole point of that fable is that the master's return is imminent, in other words, any minute now and there isn't even enough time left  for the girls to hightail it to market and buy more oil. 

No! it is about being ready at all times by living in the Spirit and obeying the Spirit never slacking and never lacking.

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour."
Matthew 25:13

This has nothing to do with ignorance of when Jesus is coming back and everything to do with its immediacy.

Not at all as THE  answers show you haven't a clue. Like so many you take things out of context. The wise virgins trimmed their lamps and lived as Christ had shown them.
They were living in the Spirit constantly and having their life.light renewed continually.

Never be lazy in following the truth about Christ. It is a constant change which requires constantly walking and living according to Gods Holy Spirits leading and teaching.

Christ spoke about many things... but what people do not understand that he fulfilled the teachings of the law and the prophets prophecies about himself.

The Kingdom is established and NOTHING can move it or be rid of it.
The person made alive in Christ lives for eternity there is no death. He who believes in me and liveth shall never die. The body dies but the soul of those in Christ never dies they sleep.

You need help with the bible let me know.

floo

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2016, 01:43:57 PM »
Sassy's help with the Bible would be on that of the level of a child just out of the uterus, I reckon, if that isn't being too kind a way of describing it! ;D

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2016, 02:01:26 PM »
It has been common in recent - last thirty years maybe which is very recent to me - for people to say, "See you later" on parting company, whether they mean tomorrow, ten years or almost never.  I hate it  >:(, however a comparison could be made between that and use of the word, "Soon".

However, as Sass has said, when the scriptures were translated there may not have been a word that quite fitted the bill.

I've always taken "soon" in the context of what we have been discussing to mean that we need to be prepared at all times because we never know the minute or the hour.

Walter

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2016, 05:38:24 PM »
I've always taken "soon" in the context of what we have been discussing to mean that we need to be prepared at all times because we never know the minute or the hour.

sounds like the bus service on Sundays in the Yorkshire dales :D

Khatru

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2016, 01:39:21 PM »
It truly is accountable to the person using the word. If someone says he will visit me soon and it happens 30 years later, then his history of using the word and the terminology would be revealed in what soon means to him. So he says: "I hope to build a green house 'soon'."10 years later he builds his green house... then it is likely 'soo'n means -'when I can  get around to it'. So 'soon' means when they can... Otherwise they would arrange a time and date wouldn't they. There is the point 'soon' can mean any length of time. It means when I can get around to it. Christ had told us he did not have an hour or a day.
In Gods time a day is like a thousand years so 'soon' for God can be whenever however you have 140 years if you live that long. Set against a thousand you could wait a long time. :D

"Soon" means soon. 

"When I get around to it" does not mean soon.

You're saying that instead of the Bible telling us that Jesus is returning soon, it may just as well say that Jesus will return whenever God gets around to it?  lol

Notwithstanding the ex-dictionary special Christian definition of "soon".  When I read that something is going to happen soon, I expect it to happen within my lifespan.

Dorothy Parker

Khatru

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »
Nothing imminent Christ told you he did not know the day or the hour.

Of course it's imminent.  The Bible tells us the axe is already lying at the foot of the tree. 

Jesus may not have known the time nor the hour but he did say "this generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." and that in itself demonstrates that Jesus was not as ignorant as you claim him to be.

Would that be the Christians and the fall of Jerusalem 70 years later?

Luke mentions that but it's in addition to the imminent return of the Son of Man.

No! it is about being ready at all times by living in the Spirit and obeying the Spirit never slacking and never lacking.

Not at all as THE  answers show you haven't a clue. Like so many you take things out of context. The wise virgins trimmed their lamps and lived as Christ had shown them.
They were living in the Spirit constantly and having their life.light renewed continually.

Never be lazy in following the truth about Christ. It is a constant change which requires constantly walking and living according to Gods Holy Spirits leading and teaching.

Christ spoke about many things... but what people do not understand that he fulfilled the teachings of the law and the prophets prophecies about himself.

The Kingdom is established and NOTHING can move it or be rid of it.
The person made alive in Christ lives for eternity there is no death. He who believes in me and liveth shall never die. The body dies but the soul of those in Christ never dies they sleep.

You need help with the bible let me know.

The whole point of the parable is the imminent return and not that the master could return anytime between now and when our sun goes nova.  Yet that's just what you say it is - an ending at some indefinite future date.

Dorothy Parker