Author Topic: Moral Psychology  (Read 1865 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Moral Psychology
« on: October 21, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »
Good interview with Jonathan Haidt on the idea of studying morality from a psycholigical viewpoint.

http://tinyurl.com/zyx3war

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Re: Moral Psychology
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 05:15:53 AM »

If there is no basis for an Absolute morality...there is no morality at all!  It is all just a matter of opinion  and social consensus, which can change from time to time and society to society.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 09:46:28 AM »

If there is no basis for an Absolute morality...there is no morality at all!  It is all just a matter of opinion  and social consensus, which can change from time to time and society to society.
which is morality not no morality. That my liking for Marmite is not an absolute does not mean that there is no such thing as taste.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:34:05 AM »
I'll come back to this one, NS, thanks for the link.  I looked at it yesterday but was very tired and didn't want to post just for the sake of posting. 

Excellent topic, recently touched on the in a small way on another forum.  So - sine die.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Jack Knave

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 05:35:40 PM »

But that is all it is. Social convention and culture, which is developed over the eons. The exceptions are just basic desires of fair play and safety etc.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 12:52:03 PM »
But that is all it is. Social convention and culture, which is developed over the eons. The exceptions are just basic desires of fair play and safety etc.
If you believe that then any pretence of morality is merely a game.

There have been Laddies on here arguing that morality is a consensus. They not only clearly pull 'morality' from their rectums but pull a consensus from their rectums too.

When, for a long time has there been a consensus? 

Jack Knave

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 07:12:20 PM »
If you believe that then any pretence of morality is merely a game.
Life is but a game! Morality is like a contract in business, everyone is trying to get the best deal for themselves, and their group, and to also cover their backsides. Essentially the law that says thou shalt not kill really means don't kill me and I'll reciprocate. Thou shalt not steal means lets work together for each others benefit.

There have been Laddies on here arguing that morality is a consensus. They not only clearly pull 'morality' from their rectums but pull a consensus from their rectums too.

When, for a long time has there been a consensus?
There comes a point when the population size is too big for such morality to be effective, and we past that point many, many generations ago.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »

How do arranged marriages rate on your Absolute scale? How about killing? When Krishna said to Arjuna on the battlefield (when Arjuna was reluctant to fight) "Go out and fight - by me these men are slain already" - is this an injunction to consider that killing is sometimes okay? And if so, how do you determine when?
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David