Author Topic: A Biblical contradiction - impossible to resolve? But please try!  (Read 12038 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: A Biblical contradiction - impossible to resolve? But please try!
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 07:14:34 PM »
OUCH!

I look forward to the gentleman's response - if, of course, he bothers to honour you with one!
We have to be careful with the whole claim to authority we often see. We are all capable of knowing more, doing more research so I don't see how we can easily make progress whilst merely asserting people haven't done research. I think it's up to the person who wants to say that to lay out exactly what they think is being missed.

ippy

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 07:37:14 PM »
OK, Owl, lets see if you can do a bit of the work yourself.  You have used an Old Testament reference, so you will need to do a bit of Hebrew research.  What is the Hebrew word that the translators of the AV decided to translate as 'kill'?  I suppose that you could try to use the Septuagint - but it is, in itself, already a translation.

I'll point out that English has a similar dichotomy.  What's the difference between murder and judicial killing or what soldiers are trained to do - killing enemies?

All of your translations etc Hope, I suppose in some ways you are trying to make some sense of your religious beliefs.

I don't suppose you're the only one, probably it's a pursuit of millions and I'm sure you're aware of this; how come so many millions follow and have followed these pursuits and not one of you has ever managed to prove there's anything in these magical, mystical and superstitious beliefs that you all seem to hold so dear have ever actually happened?

ippy

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »
Yes, I know what suffer means here.  I'm not stating that there is not an instruction for people to be killed. My position is rather that the two verses using 'kill' I.e. are talking about murder and not about some form of judicial ki!!ing.

If it were "thou shalt not commit murder" it would be tautological.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 07:41:25 PM »
If it were "thou shalt not commit murder" it would be tautological.
Son the murder laws in the UK are tautological? The point is there us such a thing as legal killing.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 07:51:30 PM »
Son the murder laws in the UK are tautological? The point is there us such a thing as legal killing.
I'm not aware that the laws of the UK just say "don't commit murder". Murder is defined as certain classes of killing (actually, it's defined as killing somebody but with certain exceptions e.g. self defence).

A law that just says "thou shalt not commit murder is the same as one that says "it is illegal to kill somebody illegally". If that is the correct translation of the commandment, it immediately provides the resolution to Owlswing's contradiction  because murder is simply defined to exclude the killing of witches (and gays and female adulterers and slaves as long as they survive a week and the Canaanites and people who work on Saturdays and blasphemers etc etc etc).
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 08:19:34 PM »
I'm not aware that the laws of the UK just say "don't commit murder". Murder is defined as certain classes of killing (actually, it's defined as killing somebody but with certain exceptions e.g. self defence).

A law that just says "thou shalt not commit murder is the same as one that says "it is illegal to kill somebody illegally". If that is the correct translation of the commandment, it immediately provides the resolution to Owlswing's contradiction  because murder is simply defined to exclude the killing of witches (and gays and female adulterers and slaves as long as they survive a week and the Canaanites and people who work on Saturdays and blasphemers etc etc etc).
UK laws define what is murder and then say don't do it. These things have a context, denying any other context in the bible, denies any context in law

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 08:26:21 PM »
UK laws define what is murder and then say don't do it.
Exactly.

These things have a context, denying any other context in the bible, denies any context in law
And the context in the Bible (at least in the KJV) includes killing witches as being an exception.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 08:39:10 PM »
Exactly.
And the context in the Bible (at least in the KJV) includes killing witches as being an exception.
no. It includes killing 'witches' as being legal and not murder. Not so much an exception as a matter of definition of what is murder.

Owlswing

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 09:18:34 PM »

Exactly.

No! Exodus 22:18 states that it is required to kill a witch - the Sixth states that ANY killing is forbidden!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 11:12:38 AM »
No! Exodus 22:18 states that it is required to kill a witch - the Sixth states that ANY killing is forbidden!
Only in the KJV. Other Bibles have "do not commit murder" which is tautological in itself but when read in context with "kill witches" is not a contradiction.

floo

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2016, 11:17:14 AM »
Talking of killing witches, the last witch to be killed in my home island was supposed to have suffered their fate in one of the fields belonging to my childhood home! :o

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 12:27:58 PM »
That explains everything, floo.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

floo

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2016, 12:34:23 PM »
Some old houses in my home island have a step on the chimney so the witches can take their ease when flying around on their broomsticks. When I am over there it is so useful, especially at my age, flying around on a broomstick can be quite tiring, especially when very windy!  ;D ;D ;D

It is a pity I can't post photos on the forum, I would display a picture of my broomstick! ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:36:52 PM by Floo »

Owlswing

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »

Only in the KJV. Other Bibles have "do not commit murder" which is tautological in itself but when read in context with "kill witches" is not a contradiction.

Bibles dated before or after the KJV?

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Owlswing

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 04:40:44 PM »

Talking of killing witches, the last witch to be killed in my home island was supposed to have suffered their fate in one of the fields belonging to my childhood home! :o

Your home island?

Owlswing

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2016, 04:41:56 PM »

Some old houses in my home island have a step on the chimney so the witches can take their ease when flying around on their broomsticks. When I am over there it is so useful, especially at my age, flying around on a broomstick can be quite tiring, especially when very windy!  ;D ;D ;D

It is a pity I can't post photos on the forum, I would display a picture of my broomstick! ;D

LOL? Maybe not.

floo

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 05:02:59 PM »

LOL? Maybe not.

I agree it could be very scary indeed. ;D

Owlswing

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2016, 05:10:29 PM »

I agree it could be very scary indeed. ;D

I meant that, as a witch, I am not sure if your comment is funny.

floo

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »
I meant that, as a witch, I am not sure if your comment is funny.

Not with you?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2016, 06:28:39 PM »
Not with you?
Owlswing is a witch and isn't sure he finds your broomstick comment to be funny.

trippymonkey

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2016, 08:37:12 PM »
I might be a witch as I live in Nelson, next to Pendle Hill, in the north west, where the Pendle witch business started !!!!

Nick AKA Lucifer's Child !!!?!??!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2016, 09:39:15 PM »
Actually, the context of the KJV doesn't involve an exception, jp - because when one takes the larger picture of the various references, they tend to deal with individual actions, as opposed to state permitted actions.  As NS suggests, they define what is and what is not state permitted
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2016, 09:52:37 PM »
Bibles dated before or after the KJV?
Good question, Owl.  The Wycliffe Bible, which predates the KJV by some 250 years, gives the commandment as 'Thou shalt not slay'.  'Slay' tends to imply something done in the heat of anger, rather than anything accidental or in self defence.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2016, 09:56:30 PM »
... the Sixth states that ANY killing is forbidden!
And where do you get the idea that the commandment forbids 'ANY' killing, Owl?

Sassy

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2016, 12:31:37 AM »

King James Version

Exodus 22:18

Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live

The Sixth Commandment

Thou shalt not kill

Will somebody please explain to me, exactly and precisely (preferably in simple teerms understandable by my simple mind!), how Christians are expected to obey both these instructions as, to my, admittedly pathetic, mind, it is impossible to do so.

Thou shalt not commit murder....

Exodus 20:13: “You shall not murder.”

There is a difference between putting someone to death for committing murder and actually murdering someone. One is legal and is punishment for criminal offence. The other is unlawful killing. War is not murder it is lawful killing. Being a witch was against the law and was punishable by death in the time of the Israelites in the desert. It is not punishable today because those laws applied to the people of that covenant.

How do you not know the difference between lawful and unlawful killing?

You don't have a contradiction you have a deliberate error created by you refusing to face the fact that lawful and unlawful killing exists? There is nothing sincere about what you have written. It simply lacks discernment which any reasoning person would have been able to use to reach the right conclusion.

We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."