Author Topic: The Divinity of Scripture  (Read 22574 times)

Khatru

Re: The Divinity of Scripture
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2016, 11:05:54 AM »
Sass,
You are a heretic of the worst kind.

Thankfully, calling someone a heretic is the worst you can do now.

There was a time not that long ago when your kind killed those unfortunate enough to be branded as a heretic.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Owlswing

« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2016, 11:24:49 AM »

There was a time not that long ago when your kind killed those unfortunate enough to be branded as a heretic.

. . . and wouldn't some just love to be able to do so today!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

ad_orientem

« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2016, 12:01:33 PM »

Heaven forbid anything should be considered a heresy! ::)
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Owlswing

« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2016, 01:22:01 PM »

Heaven forbid anything should be considered a heresy! ::)

I would venture to suggest that your statement could, in certain circumstances and minds, be itself considered heresy.

Heresy is an archaic concept, which is more and more, rightfully, being consigned to the garbage bin of history; a remnant of a time when you were not allowed to live if you disagreed with or rejected the teachings of one brand of religion or another.

Before Kramer and Spengler got a Pope to agree that a witch had made a pact with the Devil they could not be burned at the stake, the punishment foir heresy. Therefrom arose the myth of the Witch's Sabbat and witches kissing the Devil's arse.

God of love? What a load of rubbish!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

floo

« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2016, 01:44:23 PM »
I like being a heretic! ;D

ad_orientem

« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2016, 02:50:45 PM »
I would venture to suggest that your statement could, in certain circumstances and minds, be itself considered heresy.

Heresy is an archaic concept, which is more and more, rightfully, being consigned to the garbage bin of history; a remnant of a time when you were not allowed to live if you disagreed with or rejected the teachings of one brand of religion or another.

Before Kramer and Spengler got a Pope to agree that a witch had made a pact with the Devil they could not be burned at the stake, the punishment foir heresy. Therefrom arose the myth of the Witch's Sabbat and witches kissing the Devil's arse.

God of love? What a load of rubbish!

Defining heresy is necessary is necessary because heresy leads souls astray.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Owlswing

« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »

Defining heresy is necessary is necessary because heresy leads souls astray.

If heaven is andf continues to be filled with the souls of those who post Christian, of all shades, beliefs on this forum I am ecstatic that there is absolutely no change of my having to endure eternity in their company. With the possible exception of Anchorman.

Sassy

« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2016, 12:54:25 PM »

Damn that god of Sassy's!

Damn him for filling the world with false clues like the fossil record.  Clues which he knew would fool people of logic and reason but wouldn't even faze believers who have abandoned logic and reason.

All man made, I am afraid... Even now the so called theories and fallacies are falling apart with new discoveries.
As I have said, " Your beliefs require much more faith than the Christians".
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2016, 01:11:21 PM »
Even now the so called theories and fallacies are falling apart with new discoveries.

got any examples?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

wigginhall

« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2016, 01:37:27 PM »
Yes, they found a golf-course on the moon.   But the holes are crescent-shaped.  It's the Muslims!
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2016, 08:07:25 PM »
No, owned by Trump, next to the Spar.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Sassy

« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2016, 08:25:40 PM »
got any examples?

Yes watch them regularly on the tv all the time...
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2016, 08:47:10 PM »
Yes watch them regularly on the tv all the time...
Which ones? Got any examples?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2016, 09:08:22 PM »
do your studies in geology conflict with you beliefs, Hope?
No, why should they?  Or perhaps you'd prefer 'No, why?  Should they?'  Are you asking because your studies in geology conflict with your beliefs?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2016, 09:11:18 PM »
There are two kinds of Pagans around now; Neo-pagans (neo = new (not Modern)) who take what is known of early paganism, the deities and their attributes and the powers of nature that the deities controlled and used and create their rituals around that knowledge; Reconstrutionist Pagans who go to great lengths to try and re-create exactly the rites and rituals of the ancients.

Both, in their way, modern (small 'm'), timewise, modern but the beliefs, all of are older than yours.
And can you be remotely certain that what they do now isn't simply 'modern', Owl?  After all, it is thought that modern Druidism bears little or no resemblance to that which the Romans would have encountered in Britannia.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2016, 09:30:52 PM »
I like being a heretic! ;D
and the heretics speak highly of you!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2016, 09:33:37 PM »
Your God is supposed to be a person, yet no-one in over 2,000 years has ever seen him.
Wrong, on two counts, Owl.  Even if Jesus was born in 7BC, as some scholars suggest, or the more probable 4BC, he lived until he was about 33.  So, that would mean he was crucified in the spring of either 26 or 29AD.  We therefore have another 9.5 or 12.5 years before we can say that no-one has seen him for over 2000 years.

Secondly, he was born a human being in either 7 or 4BC, was crucified in spring 26 or 29AD and ascended to heaven about a month and a half after that, at which point his sojourn in human form came to an end.  However, millions of people have seen him in the intervening years - in the same way that millions have seen Mahatma Gandhi, William Wilberforce, Rabindranath Tagore or William Wallace - in the sense that they have been inspired by said people's writings/actions/beliefs.  One doesn't have to see people face to face to want to follow the cause that they set up/espoused/etc.

Every other person who has ever lived had been seen by at least one other person.
There would appear to be a fair body of independent witness evidence that Jesus lived and taught, Owl.  Maybe not as many people saw him as have seen - say - Richard Dawkins, but then does the fact that hundreds have seen RD in the flesh and millions have seen him 'virtually' make what he says any more valid than someone who was only seen by several thousand?

Thus there is physical proof that each and every one of those other people has existed; contrary to your God which no-one has ever seen.

The burden of proof therefore is on you not us!
The physical proof is available to all to look at, Owl.  Are you really sure that you want to carry on pointing out how little you know.  The important issue is whether Jesus was God, as he himself claimed, or not.

But please don't bother to try - your fellow Christians have been dodging this challenge all the way back to the old Beeb R and E forum, so most on here have heard all the excuses, prevarications, and fallacious arguments a hundred times before. Both your question and lack of an answer to my question have rendered such conversations about three-hundred miles west of boring to the point of causing suicides so don't bother.
Wasn't on the old Beeb R&E forum very often, Owl, but no-one dodged the challenge; if anything they pointed out the historical and physical facts on a number of occasions that I saw, only to be ignored in much the same way that Floo ignores responses she doesn't like and re-starts debates in new threads every so often.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2016, 09:35:46 PM »
And can you be remotely certain that what they do now isn't simply 'modern', Owl?  After all, it is thought that modern Druidism bears little or no resemblance to that which the Romans would have encountered in Britannia.

It is such a vast subject, like the Amazon with countless tributaries.  I've learned that since Owl posted his thread on Faith Sharing and I started to look things up.   I doubt any of us would know it all in a million years.

(No football for you tonight, Hope?)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2016, 09:39:37 PM »
All man made, I am afraid... Even now the so called theories and fallacies are falling apart with new discoveries.
As I have said, " Your beliefs require much more faith than the Christians".
Are you saying that the fossil record is all man-made, Sass?  Certainly not what many of the geologically-minded Christians I know believe.

Its worth pointing out that the Ussherite calculations ignore many aspects of Jewish literary conventions - such as their love of dividing history into equal eras (think of the way in which genealogies are often equally divided even though the time span from the start to end of each are known not to be equal in length).  They have theological relevance as opposed to historical.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
It is such a vast subject, like the Amazon with countless tributaries.  I've learned that since Owl posted his thread on Faith Sharing and I started to look things up.   I doubt any of us would know it all in a million years.

(No football for you tonight, Hope?)
Watched the first half of the Auld Enemy clash, but have a really busy week and found myself falling asleep, so thought I'd come and pit my wits on here before going to bed.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2016, 10:44:11 PM »
Good.

trippymonkey

« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2016, 08:53:33 AM »
Can one be a Christian, say, & STILL know about fossils etc?

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2016, 10:15:06 AM »
I can't help feeling there's a joke in there somewhere Trippy, however taking the question at FV, it's a resounding "Yes" from me.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2016, 09:41:52 PM »
Can one be a Christian, say, & STILL know about fossils etc?
Brownie wonders whether there is a joke in there somewhere.  I'd say, 'Yes; the whole sentence'.   ;)

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2016, 09:54:29 PM »
Are you saying that the fossil record is all man-made, Sass?  Certainly not what many of the geologically-minded Christians I know believe.

Its worth pointing out that the Ussherite calculations ignore many aspects of Jewish literary conventions - such as their love of dividing history into equal eras (think of the way in which genealogies are often equally divided even though the time span from the start to end of each are known not to be equal in length).  They have theological relevance as opposed to historical.

Please don't tell me Sass is an Usherite as well as everything else?
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."