Author Topic: The Divinity of Scripture  (Read 22534 times)

Ricky Spanish

Re: The Divinity of Scripture
« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »
Why  ffs?  I only posted a link.

There are other sites if you google, "Who wrote the Bible?", I wasn't going to copy and post all of them.

Its more to do with the tone of the website:  It promotes the false notion that all the books were written by who they claim they were: "Luke and Acts, a two-volume series on the life of Jesus and the early church, was penned by a physician named Luke, who was also a traveling companion to the apostle Paul." "The gospel of John was written by one of Jesus’ closest disciples, giving us an eyewitness account of the Messiah’s life.

All of which is bollocks..

UNDERSTAND - I MAKE OPINIONS. IF YOUR ARGUMENTS MAKE ME QUESTION MY OPINION THEN I WILL CONSIDER THEM.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: November 15, 2016, 04:10:03 PM »
Its more to do with the tone of the website:  It promotes the false notion that all the books were written by who they claim they were: "Luke and Acts, a two-volume series on the life of Jesus and the early church, was penned by a physician named Luke, who was also a traveling companion to the apostle Paul." "The gospel of John was written by one of Jesus’ closest disciples, giving us an eyewitness account of the Messiah’s life.

All of which is bollocks..

And tonight in the opening of the sequel to Luke, Acts part 1 of a six part dramatization. The story of what the lovable scamps who followed the big JC, the Dude Messiah, did next. Laugh as they cast out demons, sigh as they worry about foreskins, cry as they get nailed. Bigger, better, with added deleted scenes and outtakes from Luke, your's today for only 1.99 shekels. Discount for ex-lepers
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:12:24 PM by Nearly Sane »

Owlswing

« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2016, 11:50:53 PM »
It doesn't really matter who wrote the words - which of course were later translated, re-written, added to, subtracted from, etc - since every single one of those words was thought of and written down by a human being. No god wrote any of it or 'inspired' anyone to write any particular words and since only a small proportion of the people were literate, the stories were transmitted to other orally. 

P.S. And the word 'divinity' is meaningless since there is nothing to support it!

I have been trying to put this over for ages, but there are several purists who will not accept that the bible as puchased today in any shop selling it has as much to do with what was originally written as the original message in a game of Chinese whispers has after an hour's play!

I counted, just for fun during research on another subject, the number of different editions of the bible available off the shelf in Foyles in London - 42 off the shelf and another 16 by order. I chose three passages, at random, I cannot now remember precisely which passages - it was five or six years ago, but I have some of the notes I took, and compared them to each other - three passages ten versions of the bible - the most I found to be exactly the same were in four of the six and that for only one passage.

Is it any wonder the bible has so few who trust what itsays - in ANY edition.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2016, 12:14:23 AM »
As I said, you have fallen for the lies of the Jews.
As I said, you have fallen for the lies of the Christians.

They have a veil over their hearts which is why they do not understand the scriptures.
Who? Christians? Yes I agree.

Let us pray also for the faithless Jews: that Almighty God may remove the veil from their hearts; so that they too may acknowledge Jesus Christ our Lord. Almighty and eternal God, who dost not exclude from thy mercy even Jewish faithlessness: hear our prayers, which we offer for the blindness of that people; that acknowledging the light of thy Truth, which is Christ, they may be delivered from their darkness. Through the same our Lord Jesus Christ, who liveth and reigneth with thee in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Let us shove your arrogance back up your arse from whence it came.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2016, 12:24:56 AM »
Who actually 'wrote' the Bible anyway ?!!?!? ;) ::)
Nobody really knows. Jews and Christians have traditions, but, with the exception of seven of Paul's letters, it's all guesswork.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Owlswing

« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2016, 02:23:00 AM »

Nobody really knows. Jews and Christians have traditions, but, with the exception of seven of Paul's letters, it's all guesswork.

Presumably the origin of the expression "By guess or by God!"
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2016, 09:35:10 AM »
Ad_o:  "Let us pray also for the faithless Jews: that Almighty God may remove the veil from their hearts; so that they too may acknowledge Jesus Christ our Lord. Almighty and eternal God, who dost not exclude from thy mercy even Jewish faithlessness: hear our prayers, which we offer for the blindness of that people; that acknowledging the light of thy Truth, which is Christ, they may be delivered from their darkness. Through the same our Lord Jesus Christ, who liveth and reigneth with thee in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever. Amen."

Ad_o, that prayer is extremely old fashioned, patronising and contentious.   Arrogant in the extreme but I see Jeremy has already said that.

It puts a barrier between us and those of Jewish faith, hinders interfaith dialogue and stops us learning from the Jews - and there is a great deal for us to learn from them.

It strikes me that you have learned the prayer practically off by heart, maybe out of a book, and are repeating it without questioning or even thinking.  Parrot fashion comes to mind.

(PS I remember someone asked me a question yesterday on this thread, I haven't forgotten; I will look back to find it and answer (if I can), later today.)
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2016, 10:35:37 AM »
Yep. Prayers learned by rote are useless - like the 'babbling like pagans' Jesus talked about (Sorry, Pagans). That prayer in particular is a nasty one. Instead, I'd pray, giving thanks for Christ in me, and asking that those who don't know Him yet, both inside the Church and outside, might come into a deeper knowledge and relationship with Him.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ad_orientem

« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2016, 10:40:18 AM »
Ad_o:  "Let us pray also for the faithless Jews: that Almighty God may remove the veil from their hearts; so that they too may acknowledge Jesus Christ our Lord. Almighty and eternal God, who dost not exclude from thy mercy even Jewish faithlessness: hear our prayers, which we offer for the blindness of that people; that acknowledging the light of thy Truth, which is Christ, they may be delivered from their darkness. Through the same our Lord Jesus Christ, who liveth and reigneth with thee in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever. Amen."

Ad_o, that prayer is extremely old fashioned, patronising and contentious.   Arrogant in the extreme but I see Jeremy has already said that.

It puts a barrier between us and those of Jewish faith, hinders interfaith dialogue and stops us learning from the Jews - and there is a great deal for us to learn from them.

It strikes me that you have learned the prayer practically off by heart, maybe out of a book, and are repeating it without questioning or even thinking.  Parrot fashion comes to mind.

(PS I remember someone asked me a question yesterday on this thread, I haven't forgotten; I will look back to find it and answer (if I can), later today.)

It is one of the oldest orayers in the Roman Rite. Modernist Catholics reject it of course but that is because they are dispensationalists in all but name. The Pope would do well to remember tradition rather than cosy up to rabbis. However, if you're offended by that prayer then don't even consider going to an Orthodox Good Friday liturgy which refers to that "impious and transgressing people" and "the murderers of God".
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
It is one of the oldest orayers in the Roman Rite. Modernist Catholics reject it of course but that is because they are dispensationalists in all but name. The Pope would do well to remember tradition rather than cosy up to rabbis. However, if you're offended by that prayer then don't even consider going to an Orthodox Good Friday liturgy which refers to that "impious and transgressing people" and "the murderers of God".

Spiritually - according to Scripture - WE are responsible for the death of Christ.
Historically - according to Scripture - the Romans did it.
As far as I'm aware, they were not Jewish Romans.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

floo

« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2016, 10:53:24 AM »
The Pope should try to bring Catholicism into the 21st century, getting rid of the its nonsensical ideas like not using contraceptives.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2016, 10:54:16 AM »

I'd never even considered it, Ad_o, but find it difficult to believe that you believe all of that.

You learned it.   We all learned and learn things but when we grow up, we question them.

It does no-one any good to have a closed mind.

What Anchor said too.

ad_orientem

« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »

Spiritually - according to Scripture - WE are responsible for the death of Christ.
Historically - according to Scripture - the Romans did it.
As far as I'm aware, they were not Jewish Romans.

The Jews conspired to put Jesus to death. Both St. Peter and St. Stephen call them murderers.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2016, 11:35:18 AM »
The Jews conspired to put Jesus to death. Both St. Peter and St. Stephen call them murderers.

Forgetting the 'Saint' bit, with respect, the Romans were the ones who banged in the nails - they were the ones who ended His life ad-O. Yes, the Jewish authorities agitated for His murder - but the Romans could easily have said 'No'. They did not.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »

Well that was how they felt at the time.  I've no doubt they felt very let down by the members of the Jewish hierarchy who did nothing to stop Jesus's execution - not that anyone could have stopped it but that's another story.

It doesn't mean "Jews were responsible for the crucifixion of Christ", were that the case every Jew who was around at that time would have metaphorically hammered in a nail.

What Anchor said;  the Romans executed Christ.  Do we revile all Romans forevermore?  Of course not.

floo

« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2016, 12:23:13 PM »
It is crazy to condemn modern day Jews for getting Jesus crucified, even if the story is true!

Walter

« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2016, 02:52:39 PM »
It is crazy to condemn modern day Jews for getting Jesus crucified, even if the story is true!
the characters in EastEnders are NOT REAL

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2016, 03:50:51 PM »
Aw shucks  >:(.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2016, 04:48:30 PM »
'Some' Jews, surely?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

floo

« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2016, 04:49:53 PM »
'Some' Jews, surely?

It is like branding ALL WW2 Germans as Nazis!

trippymonkey

« Reply #195 on: November 16, 2016, 04:52:21 PM »
Jesus did NOT fulfill ALL Jewish criteria for Messiahship - FULL STOP !!!
THAT'S why he was executed as per Jewish religious law - fact !!!

Nick

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #196 on: November 16, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »
It is like branding ALL WW2 Germans as Nazis!
Or all Amercans as stupid!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

floo

« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2016, 04:58:18 PM »

Walter

« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2016, 05:07:32 PM »

Owlswing

« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2016, 07:21:47 PM »

Jesus did NOT fulfill ALL Jewish criteria for Messiahship - FULL STOP !!!
THAT'S why he was executed as per Jewish religious law - fact !!!

Nick

Since when has religion, any religion, had anything to do with facts? Religion is based entirely on faith and has nothing whatsoever to do with fact.

The very basis of Christianity is the faith that, one, Jesus Christ actually lived, two, that he was the son of a god, three, that the contents of the bible are true. None of these are proven fact.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:09:04 PM by Owlswing »