Author Topic: Tomb of Jesus being opened.  (Read 14129 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Tomb of Jesus being opened.
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2016, 07:46:05 PM »
Frank Morrison: an English journalist and author who set out to disprove the myth of Christianity over 80 years ago. His book “Who moved the stone?” is a classic and has led many people to Christ.

Lee Strobel:Chicago Tribune journo who set out to disprove Christianity, but ended up becoming a Christian and creating the “Case for…” series.

Josh McDowell: set out to write a paper in college to expose Christianity as a myth, but ended up being so convinced that he became a Christian himself and wrote the book “Evidence that Demands a Verdict”.

Andre Kole: created tricks for the greatest magicians in the world including making the statue of liberty disappear for David Copperfield. He was commissioned to study the miracles of the bible to expose them as magic tricks and thus disprove its legitimacy. Through this investigation, Andre Kole became a Christian.

Charlie Cairoli: wore a red nose

Chic Charnley: quite fat footballer

Arthur Montford: great use of word 'stramash'

Sydney Devine: 'Crystal Chandeliers'

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2016, 07:48:34 PM »
Sadly, for both Floo and yourself, Walter, there are a number of examples where people have been pronounced dead on the evidence of modern medical equipment, but returned to life same time later.  This alone suggests that the 'As it isn't credible ...' argument is open to debate.
Sadly for you Hope, floo qualified her statement by saying "well and truly dead". There are no credible accounts of well and truly dead people coming back to life.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »
Why should I be embarrassed
Because your ability to think critically on any subject relating to Christianity is severely compromised by your faith.

when a number of people - several of them starting from the POV that you hold (and seeking to disprove the whole thing once and for all) have done exactly what you have suggested, Walter, and come to the conclusion that it is true.  Frank Morrison, Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell and Andre Kole spring to mind.
I read Who Moved the Stone as a teenager. At the time I was very impressed by it. Unfortunately, it is a house built on sand in that it relies heavily on the gospels for evidence and the gospels are just not reliable.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Walter

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2016, 08:16:42 PM »
Because your ability to think critically on any subject relating to Christianity is severely compromised by your faith.
I read Who Moved the Stone as a teenager. At the time I was very impressed by it. Unfortunately, it is a house built on sand in that it relies heavily on the gospels for evidence and the gospels are just not reliable.

using the bible to prove its authenticity is always going to lead to nothing. Its like eating burgers everyday to prove to someone there's no other food but burgers

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2016, 09:06:10 PM »
Charlie Cairoli: wore a red nose

Chic Charnley: quite fat footballer

Arthur Montford: great use of word 'stramash'

Sydney Devine: 'Crystal Chandeliers'

Note:
Please desist in using foul and obscene language...."Sydney Devine" is unfit for o
public - or most private use - at any time......
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2016, 09:16:30 PM »
This could be levelled at anyone, jp - you included.  That said, the fact that I have studied the material and made a conscious decision to accept it as truth suggests that I have already thought critically; the fact that I then get challenged on sites like this and still manage to come up with rational arguments, both for and agin my faith, suggest that my ability to think critically hasn't been compromised.

Whereas others, scholars included (some who aren't even believers) regard them as reliable.  How do you square your opinions with theirs?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2016, 09:27:40 PM »
This could be levelled at anyone, jp - you included.  That said, the fact that I have studied the material and made a conscious decision to accept it as truth suggests that I have already thought critically; the fact that I then get challenged on sites like this and still manage to come up with rational arguments, both for and agin my faith, suggest that my ability to think critically hasn't been compromised.
Whereas others, scholars included (some who aren't even believers) regard them as reliable.  How do you square your opinions with theirs?
do you or they have a method for evaluating supernatural claims? You know, the one that you have been asked for hundreds of times?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2016, 09:35:56 PM »

You've just demonstrated otherwise.

What methods did these scholars use to exclude the risks of mistakes or lies?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2016, 09:50:26 PM »
do you or they have a method for evaluating supernatural claims? You know, the one that you have been asked for hundreds of times?
yes. If it isn't natural then it's supernatural. Wanky terms natural and supernatural but if you insist on using them................

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2016, 09:52:36 PM »
yes. If it isn't natural then it's supernatural. Wanky terms natural and supernatural but if you insist on using them................
So no answer, what a surprise!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »
So no answer, what a surprise!
If you ever get round to stating what you mean by methodology which doesn't look suspiciously like science then we can probably start to get somewhere.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2016, 10:04:51 PM »
If you ever get round to stating what you mean by methodology which doesn't look suspiciously like science then we can probably start to get somewhere.
so once again, as I have done for Vlad so many times before, what set of methods (methodology) do you have to separate a methodological  naturalism from a supernaturalism? And stop lying about this not having been given before!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2016, 10:27:02 PM »
so once again, as I have done for Vlad so many times before, what set of methods (methodology) do you have to separate a methodological  naturalism from a supernaturalism? And stop lying about this not having been given before!
What?
Look.....almost as many times as You have asked me for a method.......... I've asked for methodology for establishing philosophical naturalism..........apart from pretending one isn't a philosophical naturalist........or claiming Vlad doesn't understand the term ''philosophical naturalist''.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2016, 10:39:07 PM »
What?
Look.....almost as many times as You have asked me for a method.......... I've asked for methodology for establishing philosophical naturalism..........apart from pretending one isn't a philosophical naturalist........or claiming Vlad doesn't understand the term ''philosophical naturalist''.
Not a philosophical naturalist, that would be you lying again! Do you ever get bored of lying?

See the clue in the 'methodology' question is about methodology. You know the term methodological that you have used multiple times? Was that you lying about understanding methodological?

Got any methodology for supernatural claims yet? Or just happy to try and evade by lying yet again?

Walter

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2016, 12:53:50 AM »
NS

he does not have the capacity to understand what is being asked of him. its pointless repeating the question, maybe asking in a loud voice might help but I doubt it.
It seems some peoples brains are wired with a short circuit loop.

Walter

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2016, 01:02:37 AM »

Inserting the word 'scholars' into your sentence does not add any gravity to its value and their opinions remain only that, opinions. I'm not interested in their opinions any more than I am in yours.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2016, 01:11:31 AM »
This could be levelled at anyone, jp - you included.
Nope. I don't have a faith so it can't compromise my critical thinking abilities.

That said, the fact that I have studied the material and made a conscious decision to accept it as truth suggests that I have already thought critically;
No it doesn't. Your acceptance of the gospels at face value is based on wishful thinking on your part.

the fact that I then get challenged on sites like this and still manage to come up with rational arguments,
Don't make me laugh. You have never come up with a rational argument for the resurrection. The fact that you claim you did on another secret site or on this one but it got deleted is no better than my claim that the dog ate my homework.

Name a non apologetic historian who regards the gospels as reliable.

floo

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2016, 08:32:09 AM »
But you have already indicated that you are not prepared to accept it, no matter how obvious it was. Your words again

So even if you could go back in time and see everything that happened from the moment Jesus died on the cross, to the moment He rose from the dead, your conclusion would be that He wasn't really dead.

If it was obvious I would have to accept it. When Jesus was strutting his stuff it was only his followers who believed him to be who he said he was, even his family weren't convinced. Surely if he was some sort of god it would have been obvious to everyone who met him, but clearly it wasn't, now I wonder why that was?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2016, 08:39:58 AM »
Nope. I don't have a faith so it can't compromise my critical thinking abilities.
Faith is just one form of mindset, jp.  Critical thinking can be effected by any such mindset.  The very fact that you can't see that suggests that your abilities have been compromised.

No it doesn't. Your acceptance of the gospels at face value is based on wishful thinking on your part.
The very fact that you use the term 'at face value' shows how little you understand about faith and mine in particular.  Again, an example of your particular mindset compromising your critical thinking abilities.

Don't make me laugh. You have never come up with a rational argument for the resurrection. The fact that you claim you did on another secret site or on this one but it got deleted is no better than my claim that the dog ate my homework.
You are entitled to your opinion, jp, but since folk here have noted in the past that my arguments (and those of other Christians) have been rational - even if they disagree with them - suggests yet again that your critical faculties are compromised.

Name a non apologetic historian who regards the gospels as reliable.
'Scholars' don't have to be historians, but you know that already.  However, since Roman writers referenced the events without providing any evidence to disprove it (something that both they and the Jewish leaders of the time could very easily have done) the historical reliability of the stories would seem to be greater than lesser.  Interestingly, the very fact that the 3 synoptic gospels differ is some ways indicates, from a legal evidentiary pov, a greater chance of reliability than if they were all identical.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2016, 08:43:06 AM »
So even if you could go back in time and see everything that happened from the moment Jesus died on the cross, to the moment He rose from the dead, your conclusion would be that He wasn't really dead.

Which presumes that these aspects of the NT story are historical facts: perhaps then you can answer the question that I've asked the likes of Hope numerous times with nary a reply: how have you assessed the risks of mistakes or lies in the NT accounts you seem to be presenting as historical fact?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2016, 08:45:48 AM »
If it was obvious I would have to accept it. When Jesus was strutting his stuff it was only his followers who believed him to be who he said he was, even his family weren't convinced. Surely if he was some sort of god it would have been obvious to everyone who met him, but clearly it wasn't, now I wonder why that was?
Oddly enough Floo, there is little or no evidence to suggest that 'even his family weren't convinced'.  Apart from the roles that Mary, his mother, and James - a brother - took in the years of ministry( Mary) and the early church (James) we hear nothing about his family.

As for "Surely if he was some sort of god it would have been obvious to everyone who met him", what makes you say that?  After all, there are plenty of people whose genius isn't really appreciated or recognised until late in their lives or even posthumously.  People are often blind to the abilities and nature of others.

floo

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2016, 08:48:25 AM »
As all these centuries later it is not possible to know for a fact what Jesus did say and do when he was alive, one has to treat with great scepticism the things, which are attributed to him that don't seem remotely credible.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2016, 08:53:01 AM »
You are entitled to your opinion, jp, but since folk here have noted in the past that my arguments (and those of other Christians) have been rational - even if they disagree with them - suggests yet again that your critical faculties are compromised.

Who here noted that your arguments are 'rational'?

However, since Roman writers referenced the events without providing any evidence to disprove it (something that both they and the Jewish leaders of the time could very easily have done)

You've been told this before - at the time of the alleged events involving Jesus he was of no great immediate significance so that those involved at the time wouldn't have needed to deny anything.

...the historical reliability of the stories would seem to be greater than lesser.  Interestingly, the very fact that the 3 synoptic gospels differ is some ways indicates, from a legal evidentiary pov, a greater chance of reliability than if they were all identical.

Then you'll at long last tell me what specific steps have been taken to assess the risks of mistakes and lies in these post-hoc anecdotal accounts: so, on what basis are these accounts distinguishable from fiction?

Walter

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
Oddly enough Floo, there is little or no evidence to suggest that 'even his family weren't convinced'.  Apart from the roles that Mary, his mother, and James - a brother - took in the years of ministry( Mary) and the early church (James) we hear nothing about his family.

As for "Surely if he was some sort of god it would have been obvious to everyone who met him", what makes you say that?  After all, there are plenty of people whose genius isn't really appreciated or recognised until late in their lives or even posthumously.  People are often blind to the abilities and nature of others.

is that your best attempt at a SERIOUS reply.HOPE sort yourself out .

Owlswing

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2016, 09:03:35 AM »

Not a philosophical naturalist, that would be you lying again! Do you ever get bored of lying?

NS

Herein lies the greatest problem.

As Christians they do not see it as lying! They cannot see that their "truth" is anything but "truth" - it a matter of faith not fact. Otherwise why would it be called the Christian faith, why do they espose Christian belief?

The answer is so simple that even Vlad and Hope, if they had the elevated levels of intelligence that they claim, they would be able to see this, but as both you and I and millions and millions of others well know - there are none so blind s those who will not see.

And they will remain blind as they are determined not to see,
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!