Author Topic: Tomb of Jesus being opened.  (Read 14114 times)

Walter

Re: Tomb of Jesus being opened.
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2016, 11:12:54 AM »
Does it matter to you what others believe?  We're living in the 21stC and nobody in this country is going to force their beliefs on you or make you feel bad if you don't agree with them.  We are all free to choose what we believe.

are you sure about that? Islam is a threat that will only become more serious unless we all wake up to it.

floo

« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2016, 11:47:11 AM »
Does it matter to you what others believe?  We're living in the 21stC and nobody in this country is going to force their beliefs on you or make you feel bad if you don't agree with them.  We are all free to choose what we believe.

That isn't true, some people do try to force their beliefs on others in a very abusive way, even in the 21st century. You try attending a pentecostal church where hell-fire reigns supreme. >:(

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2016, 12:11:07 PM »
No-one forces anyone to go to a Pentecostal church, floo.  I should qualify that by saying that I mean adults.  I've never been inside one, have no wish to, and don't even know where there is one near me.  I doubt you've been inside one since you were young.  The only people I have encountered who have those views are in cyberspace which is not real life.

We aren't forced to swallow any religious dogma in this day and age in this country.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

jjohnjil

« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2016, 01:33:53 PM »
No-one forces anyone to go to a Pentecostal church, floo.  I should qualify that by saying that I mean adults.  I've never been inside one, have no wish to, and don't even know where there is one near me.  I doubt you've been inside one since you were young.  The only people I have encountered who have those views are in cyberspace which is not real life.

We aren't forced to swallow any religious dogma in this day and age in this country.

But this is a public forum, Brownie, if a poster posts on here, he/she must expect to be challenged on the views he/she expresses. 

Unless you think it should go back to the old days, when the vicar stood high above his flock and no one dared question the content of his sermon?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »
But this is a public forum, Brownie, if a poster posts on here, he/she must expect to be challenged on the views he/she expresses. 

Unless you think it should go back to the old days, when the vicar stood high above his flock and no one dared question the content of his sermon?
where does Brownie's post contain anything that suggests she thinks that?

floo

« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2016, 01:44:16 PM »

As you have never been in one you are not in a position to comment! People who are indoctrinated  are scared not to attend in case they end up in hell. I have been inside several during my adult years, and nothing has changed where the unpleasant dogma they spout is concerned!

Owlswing

« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »

Have you read some of the posters on this forum, Brownie?

Some of the posts here would not be out of place in either a Pentecostal or an Evangelical church or public meeting.

No names but one of the worst of the breed could be described as a bit cheeky!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »

Some of the posts here would not be out of place in either a Pentecostal or an Evangelical church or public meeting.

Is cheeky a synonym for sassy?

And that reminds me whatever happened to Synonym?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

floo

« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2016, 01:57:27 PM »

Another poster who seems to get off on the idea of people burning in hell, hasn't been around for a couple of months.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2016, 02:01:23 PM »
That isn't true, some people do try to force their beliefs on others in a very abusive way, even in the 21st century. You try attending a pentecostal church where hell-fire reigns supreme. >:(
As you have never been in one you are not in a position to comment! People who are indoctrinated  are scared not to attend in case they end up in hell. I have been inside several during my adult years, and nothing has changed where the unpleasant dogma they spout is concerned!
And I have been in many as well - of several denominations, floo - and have never experienced hellfire preaching in any form. I have never approved of threats to achieve conversion, and have seen no such evidence in the several Pentecostal fellowships in my area - one of which, I may add, has just had a split - not through doctrinal differences, but because the building, in Monckton, Prestwick, only holds 600 - so the fellowship split into two, both of which are thriving. I may not share all the doctrines of the Pentecostalists. but I would certainly not malign them with the label of hellfire preachers.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

SusanDoris

« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2016, 02:03:33 PM »
I'm just catching up - I had one of the mornings when my computer says 'this page cannot be displayed' - and as usual an enjoying reading some posts, but scrolling past, for example, Hope's!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Owlswing

« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2016, 02:13:52 PM »

I'm just catching up - I had one of the mornings when my computer says 'this page cannot be displayed' - and as usual an enjoying reading some posts, but scrolling past, for example, Hope's!

Oh Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

There was me thinking that I was the only one! Do you you do the same to Sassy?
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2016, 02:42:37 PM »
Quote from: SwordOfTheSpirit
But you have already indicated that you are not prepared to accept it, no matter how obvious it was. Your words again:

They obviously weren't really dead!

So even if you could go back in time and see everything that happened from the moment Jesus died on the cross, to the moment He rose from the dead, your conclusion would be that He wasn't really dead.
Quote from: Floo
If it was obvious I would have to accept it. When Jesus was strutting his stuff it was only his followers who believed him to be who he said he was, even his family weren't convinced. Surely if he was some sort of god it would have been obvious to everyone who met him, but clearly it wasn't, now I wonder why that was?
Do you believe that the truth (or otherwise) of a matter is affected by what we believe about it?
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

floo

« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2016, 02:45:21 PM »
And I have been in many as well - of several denominations, floo - and have never experienced hellfire preaching in any form. I have never approved of threats to achieve conversion, and have seen no such evidence in the several Pentecostal fellowships in my area - one of which, I may add, has just had a split - not through doctrinal differences, but because the building, in Monckton, Prestwick, only holds 600 - so the fellowship split into two, both of which are thriving. I may not share all the doctrines of the Pentecostalists. but I would certainly not malign them with the label of hellfire preachers.

Well lucky, lucky you!

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2016, 03:02:03 PM »
Why were there a 'group of Roman soldiers' guarding a tomb of one minor dead rebel?
Do you know what the Gospels have to say with regard to this question?

Even if there were two, soldiers - which is unlikely for a job like that - they could easily have dozed off, gone for a cuppa, played cards.  And yet you think that a band of disciples couldn't possibly have outsmarted them
Do you know what the penalty was for the guards should this have happened?

In the Gospels account, what happened after Jesus rose from the dead to stop the guards getting into trouble?
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

floo

« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2016, 03:11:48 PM »
Do you know what the Gospels have to say with regard to this question?
Do you know what the penalty was for the guards should this have happened?

In the Gospels account, what happened after Jesus rose from the dead to stop the guards getting into trouble?

What the gospels have to say, and what is factual, is probably very different indeed.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2016, 03:50:59 PM »

You do not know that I have not been indoctrinated by religious people, floo;  not Pentecostals but they are not the only ones.   That certainly did happen to me when I was younger and though I firmly reject it, I remember it vividly and to this day still feel little undercurrents of uncertainty when I am exposed to some types of religious teaching.  Like yourself, I have to deal with it when it comes up and talk myself round;  I worry at times about stuff in my sub- and unconscious mind that may rear up when I am older and vulnerable.   So I know it isn't easy.

However no-one is going to force religion on me now, whatever they might do in their own churches.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Owlswing

« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »
So even if you could go back in time and see everything that happened from the moment Jesus died on the cross, to the moment He rose from the dead, your conclusion would be that He wasn't really dead.Do you believe that the truth (or otherwise) of a matter is affected by what we believe about it?

Just because you believe it does NOT make it truth! Equally just because I do NOT believe it does not make it untrue.

However, if the truth of your belief is questioned, it will remain merely belief until you can provide incontrovertible proof of its truth.

Please note that no quantity or length of quotes from the Bible are considered incontrovertible proof.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »

floo

« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2016, 02:31:50 PM »
Just because some claim it to be the tomb of Jesus, doesn't mean it is.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2016, 03:41:49 PM »
For once, floo, I agree. 'Biblical' archaeologists sometines set my teeth on edge. Certainly there are some brilliant scholars in the field in Israel, but there are some less than gifted ones as well. Anyone with a Bible in one hand and a shovel in the other brings disrepute to the discipline. I also treat the 'relics' and other stuff 'found by Helena - Constantine's mum - with extreme caution. At best it was speculative, at worse playing politics to gain brownie points for her son's self aggrandisment.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ad_orientem

« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2016, 03:51:47 PM »
I also treat the 'relics' and other stuff 'found by Helena - Constantine's mum - with extreme caution. At best it was speculative, at worse playing politics to gain brownie points for her son's self aggrandisment.

Well, boo to you then.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »
Well, boo to you then.

Sorry, ad-O, but there is not a shred ov verifiable archaeology to substantiate Helena's exotic souvenier trip.

ad_orientem

« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2016, 04:00:14 PM »

Sorry, ad-O, but there is not a shred ov verifiable archaeology to substantiate Helena's exotic souvenier trip.

Eh?
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2016, 04:06:41 PM »
When Constantine's mum went to Palestine and found relics and bits of the Cross by the bucketload, there was nothing to substantiate her 'claim'. Even the Church of the Holy Sepulchre is built on little more than speculation. There is no verifiable evidence that links the tomb with that of the Resurrection. After all, two centuries and more had passed where Jerusalem was little more than a ruin, and the Church based itself at Antioch and Ephasus, rather than the devastated city. Believers were more concerned with sharing their faith and preserving their lives, than guarding spurious sites.