Author Topic: AN opportunity for the religious to provide their evidence  (Read 85738 times)

Sassy

Re: AN opportunity for the religious to provide their evidence
« Reply #275 on: November 05, 2016, 08:04:19 AM »
Suggest you learn about fallacies first and then re-read your own posts: the ones I mentioned are quite obvious.

I suggest you research the evidence which are not fallacies of the things actually happening amongst Christians in the world today.
Then you would see how you use a word with evidence of what fallacies you relate to and without any real evidence to support them. Again I stand by my post, but your inability to provide proof shows you have nothing.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #276 on: November 05, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »
I suggest you research the evidence which are not fallacies of the things actually happening amongst Christians in the world today.

I suggest you present the evidence yourself: the burden of proof is yours.

Then you would see how you use a word with evidence of what fallacies you relate to and without any real evidence to support them. Again I stand by my post, but your inability to provide proof shows you have nothing.

The evidence of fallacies is their use, and there are numerous textbook examples to be found in this Forum.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #277 on: November 05, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »
In which bluehillside does not try hard enough to see why anyone would use it except to validate their belief as true.

In which Sword fails to grasp that the point being made was that the NPF is often used in answer to the question, “what evidence is there for your “God”?” so no guessing about why else people attempt it is required.

How about the constant implications that people are wrong to have a religious belief e.g. books like The God Delusion?

In which Sword fails to grasp that the point here and in that book is that the arguments theists attempt to demonstrate a “true for you too” god are bad arguments.

There are probably some who have concluded that if some atheists seem to be so sure that religious believers are wrong, then they should be able to back it up, rather than hiding behind excuses such as burden of proof.

In which Sword fails to grasp that a-theism is merely the finding that there are no good reasons for believing gods to be real, validated by the falsification of the arguments theists do attempt. Having set out his straw man, Sword continues to fail to grasp moreover that “God” is the positive assertion and that the burden of proof issue isn’t an “excuse” at all but rather is a basic tenet of logical discourse. 

That works both ways, something you are not prepared to accept because you do not appear to understand how truth works, or properties of truth.

In which Sword fails to grasp that it would work both ways only if his straw man version of a-theism wasn’t a straw man, and moreover that his interlocutor understands therefore much better than he does “how truth works”.

Apart from that though…
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #278 on: November 05, 2016, 10:58:37 AM »
In which Sword fails to grasp that the point being made was that the NPF is often used in answer to the question, “what evidence is there for your “God”?” so no guessing about why else people attempt it is required.

In which Sword fails to grasp that the point here and in that book is that the arguments theists attempt to demonstrate a “true for you too” god are bad arguments.

In which Sword fails to grasp that a-theism is merely the finding that there are no good reasons for believing gods to be real, validated by the falsification of the arguments theists do attempt. Having set out his straw man, Sword continues to fail to grasp moreover that “God” is the positive assertion and that the burden of proof issue isn’t an “excuse” at all but rather is a basic tenet of logical discourse. 

In which Sword fails to grasp that it would work both ways only if his straw man version of a-theism wasn’t a straw man, and moreover that his interlocutor understands therefore much better than he does “how truth works”.

Apart from that though…
No Hillside it is believing there are no good reasons for believing God!s.
Stop trying to pass your own beliefs as "discoveries".

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #279 on: November 05, 2016, 11:10:58 AM »

Given a long enough span of time and a large enough amount of space, anything that can happen, will happen.
This statement is blatantly wrong if the universe has a finite size and has existed for a finite amount of time.  Hoyle once calculated the probability of random amino acids coming together to form a living cell as ten to the power of eighty.  To put this in perspective, the number of atomic particles in the known universe is in the order of ten to the power sixty.  You may not agree with conditions Hoyle used for this calculation, but it can be used to illustrate just how improbable some things can be.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Owlswing

« Reply #280 on: November 05, 2016, 11:17:04 AM »

This statement is blatantly wrong if the universe has a finite size and has existed for a finite amount of time.  Hoyle once calculated the probability of random amino acids coming together to form a living cell as ten to the power of eighty.  To put this in perspective, the number of atomic particles in the known universe is in the order of ten to the power sixty.  You may not agree with conditions Hoyle used for this calculation, but it can be used to illustrate just how improbable some things can be.

Even taking into account Hoyle's expertise in the matter your comment is blatant rubbish as no-one has yet been able to calculate the total size and compostion of the known universe, so your figures (and Hoyle's) are conjecture - but at least Hoyle had the grace and good manners to admit it! 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:03:14 PM by Owlswing »
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Maeght

« Reply #281 on: November 05, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »

It tells us nothing if the conditions used for the calculation are incorrect.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: November 05, 2016, 11:26:09 AM »

Very nice, but Hoyle's approach isn't accepted by evolutionary biologists primarily since it assumes complexity in a single step (hence the tornado in a junkyard assembling a functioning aeroplane analogy) - since Hoyle is often cited by creationist clowns I'd have though this would indicate that he got this argument wrong.

According to Ian Musgrave in Lies, Damned Lies, Statistics, and Probability of Abiogenesis Calculations:

These people, including Fred, have committed one or more of the following errors.

They calculate the probability of the formation of a "modern" protein, or even a complete bacterium with all "modern" proteins, by random events. This is not the abiogenesis theory at all.

They assume that there is a fixed number of proteins, with fixed sequences for each protein, that are required for life.

They calculate the probability of sequential trials, rather than simultaneous trials.

They misunderstand what is meant by a probability calculation.

They underestimate the number of functional enzymes/ribozymes present in a group of random sequences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkyard_tornado

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #283 on: November 05, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »
No Hillside it is believing there are no good reasons for believing God!s.
Stop trying to pass your own beliefs as "discoveries".

In which Vlad fails to grasp that "there are no good reasons for believing in gods" is merely the outcome when the arguments theists attempt to validate gods have been falsified.

God

torridon

« Reply #284 on: November 05, 2016, 02:38:28 PM »

Given a long enough span of time and a large enough amount of space, anything that can happen, will happen.

I find this thrice baffling.

On the simplest level my statement cannot be falsified because it is merely a truism; the clue is in the use of the word enough

Bafflement number two is why you cling to a view fifty years out of date. Hoyle might have been a brilliant mind, and a Yorkshireman to boot, but things have moved on since then and now scientists expect to find life wherever conditions allow for delicate biology.

Bafflement number three which I find the most puzzling, is why a theist like you would be arguing anyway that God, in order to bring about life and ultimately humanity, would engineer a universe so utterly inhospitable to life such that the possibilities for biology are effectively zero.  Surely that would be best way to bring about the ruination, rather than the realisation, of his own purpose.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 02:43:43 PM by torridon »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #285 on: November 05, 2016, 02:44:28 PM »
In which Vlad fails to grasp that "there are no good reasons for believing in gods" is merely the outcome when the arguments theists attempt to validate gods have been falsified.
In which Hillsides mistakes merely coming up with an alternative argument and/or merely asserting wrongness of argument or setting up a straw man argument, with falsifying argument.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #286 on: November 05, 2016, 03:00:11 PM »

In which Sword fails to grasp that a-theism is merely the finding thdat there are no good reasons for believing gods to be real, validated by the falsification of the arguments theists do attempt. Having set out his straw man, Sword continues to fail to grasp moreover that “God” is the positive assertion and that the burden of proof issue isn’t an “excuse” at all but rather is a basic tenet of logical discourse. 

Apart from that though…
In which Hillside continues not to back up his assertions made here.
Demonstrate that God is merely true for believers.......a meaningless phrase in any case since you are suggesting than an unconscious physical naturalism is true for everyone.

Gonnagle

« Reply #287 on: November 05, 2016, 03:23:05 PM »
Dear Torridon,

Bafflement number three which I find the most puzzling, is why a theist like you would be arguing anyway that God, in order to bring about life and ultimately humanity, would engineer a universe so utterly inhospitable to life such that the possibilities for biology are effectively zero.  Surely that would be best way to bring about the ruination, rather than the realisation, of his own purpose.

Sorry but I am baffled by your bafflement, "a Universe so utterly inhospitable"?? Maybe you should write to those SETI folk and tell them to give up :o :o

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #288 on: November 05, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »
Dear Torridon,

Sorry but I am baffled by your bafflement, "a Universe so utterly inhospitable"?? Maybe you should write to those SETI folk and tell them to give up :o :o

Gonnagle.
Yes I'm wondering whether we'll either catch Torridon having argued or arguing in future that we don't know what conditions life can thrive in..........which as atheists well know is a standard rebuttal for fine tuning.
Torridon needs to clear up where he stands on this because one can't have it both ways.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #289 on: November 05, 2016, 04:09:40 PM »
Quote from: AlanBurns
Hoyle once calculated the probability of random amino acids coming together to form a living cell as ten to the power of eighty.  To put this in perspective, the number of atomic particles in the known universe is in the order of ten to the power sixty.  You may not agree with conditions Hoyle used for this calculation, but it can be used to illustrate just how improbable some things can be.
Quote from: Gordon
Very nice, but Hoyle's approach isn't accepted by evolutionary biologists primarily since it assumes complexity in a single step (hence the tornado in a junkyard assembling a functioning aeroplane analogy) - since Hoyle is often cited by creationist clowns I'd have though this would indicate that he got this argument wrong.
Assuming complexity in smaller steps (Richard Dawkins Climbing Mount Improbable) rather than a single step makes the problem worse, in my opinion.

If the success for a single step can be analogous to me throwing ten coins in the air and working out the probability that all of them come down on heads, then the probability is 1/2^10, or 1/1024.

If the success for smaller steps (ten for the analogy above) is still ten heads (this time, in a row), then guess what? The probability is still 1/2^10 or 1/1024!!

Furthermore, with the smaller steps approach, why should any one path be favoured more than the other, if it takes many steps to get there? The destination is not known in advance.

I suppose the irony of the following will not be seen by the likes of Dawkins, et al:
Dawkins reminds us that natural selection produces such creatures through a series of incremental steps that "smear out" their improbability over long periods of time. To reinforce this point, he tells us how he constructed a computer program that, with only a few rules for guidance, could "learn" to construct webs remarkably similar to those built by real spiders.
Source: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/1996/09/the_mystery_of_life.html

yet he won't see DNA, the blueprint for living organisms as an argument for a designer/creator!
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: November 05, 2016, 05:09:59 PM »
#295Assuming complexity in smaller steps (Richard Dawkins Climbing Mount Improbable) rather than a single step makes the problem worse, in my opinion.

If the success for a single step can be analogous to me throwing ten coins in the air and working out the probability that all of them come down on heads, then the probability is 1/2^10, or 1/1024.

If the success for smaller steps (ten for the analogy above) is still ten heads (this time, in a row), then guess what? The probability is still 1/2^10 or 1/1024!!

Furthermore, with the smaller steps approach, why should any one path be favoured more than the other, if it takes many steps to get there? The destination is not known in advance.

I suppose the irony of the following will not be seen by the likes of Dawkins, et al:Source: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/1996/09/the_mystery_of_life.html

yet he won't see DNA, the blueprint for living organisms as an argument for a designer/creator!

Before we recommend you for the 2017 Nobel Prize I take it you're sure about the assumptions on which you've based your probability calculations?

P.S Behe is one of the creationist clowns I referred to earlier.

torridon

« Reply #291 on: November 05, 2016, 06:19:46 PM »
Dear Torridon,

Gonnagle.

That is not my view, I was responding to Mr Burns who displays a penchant for quoting Hoyle to give the impression that life could not have arisen naturally in this universe.  My understanding is radically different to that, rather that life, although rare in strictly spatio-temporal terms, is an inevitable consequence of the laws of nature and thus will be widespread in the universe. Furthermore I would add that this is simply an expression of an underlying math that relates incidence to complexity; thus unicellular life would be comparatively widespread but civilisation building spacefaring life would be vanishingly rare.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 06:21:51 PM by torridon »

torridon

« Reply #292 on: November 05, 2016, 06:28:56 PM »
...yet [Dawkins] won't see DNA, the blueprint for living organisms as an argument for a designer/creator!

quite likely because the whole concept of 'creator' is a logical fallacy, a false friend; it appears superficially attractive as an explanation but in fact it explains nothing and only leaves us saddled with the yet bigger problem of who created the creator.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 06:31:12 PM by torridon »

Gonnagle

« Reply #293 on: November 05, 2016, 06:50:24 PM »
Dear Torridon,

Fair enough, so we agree, this Universe is absolutely perfect to bring forth life, it's as if it had been tweaked but then that's silly thinking ::) ::)

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #294 on: November 05, 2016, 08:38:10 PM »
Assuming complexity in smaller steps (Richard Dawkins Climbing Mount Improbable) rather than a single step makes the problem worse, in my opinion.

I suppose the irony of the following will not be seen by the likes of Dawkins, et al:

In which Sword blunders spectacularly into the lottery winner’s fallacy: perfect logic throughout but only provided you have a good reason to suppose that Homo sapiens was the intended outcome all along. What are the chances eh?

Of course, those of a more thoughtful bent would point him towards the anthropic principle, Adams’ puddle, the perils of looking down the wrong end of the telescope etc in the vain hope that even Sword would grasp that there’s nothing special about him as a supposed end game. Tweak any of the variables and there may have been either no life at all or completely different kinds of life that had evolved by adapting to their different environments

Funny to think that, had different life types evolved somewhere, a not very bright member of a six-headed gargle monster community on Alpha Centauri (let's call him "Sward") would be posting somewhere, “but the chances of me existing by lots of little steps are fantastically rare, therefore…"etc.

Happy days eh?

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #295 on: November 05, 2016, 08:47:18 PM »
In which Hillsides mistakes merely coming up with an alternative argument and/or merely asserting wrongness of argument or setting up a straw man argument, with falsifying argument.

In which Vlad finally loses what little grasp of basic English he may ever have had.

In which Hillside continues not to back up his assertions made here.

Demonstrate that God is merely true for believers.......a meaningless phrase in any case since you are suggesting than an unconscious physical naturalism is true for everyone.

In which Vlad quite spectacularly demonstrates his continued failure to grasp the burden of proof principle by relying on one of his favourite straw men, apparently oblivious to the actual position that undoes him: namely that, while gods may be true for their believers, so far at least none of them have managed to make an argument cogent enough to bridge the gap from "true for me" to "true for you too".

Desperate stuff indeed. 

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #296 on: November 05, 2016, 08:59:29 PM »
In which Vlad finally loses what little grasp of basic English he may ever have had.

In which Vlad quite spectacularly demonstrates his continued failure to grasp the burden of proof principle by relying on one of his favourite straw men, apparently oblivious to the actual position that undoes him: namely that, while gods may be true for their believers, so far at least none of them have managed to make an argument cogent enough to bridge the gap from "true for me" to "true for you too".

Desperate stuff indeed.
In which Hillside tries to make us believe that being an atheist exonerates him from demonstrating any positive assertion...

Gods are either true for everyone or they they are true for no one.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #297 on: November 05, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »
In which Hillside tries to make us believe that being an atheist exonerates him from demonstrating any positive assertion...

In which Vlad fails again to grasp that on only "positive assertion" is that arguments attempted so far for a "true for you too god" have been falsified - many time in fact, however much he may choose to lie about the content of the falsifications.

In which, after years of attempts, Vlad finally manages to get something right. Sadly however, the vacuity of the efforts so far to demonstrate the former leave him only with the latter.

God

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: November 05, 2016, 09:20:19 PM »

All of those that people throughout history have expressed an allegiance to or just your preferred version?

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #299 on: November 05, 2016, 11:24:40 PM »
I believe in love and compassion.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton