Author Topic: AN opportunity for the religious to provide their evidence  (Read 85697 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: AN opportunity for the religious to provide their evidence
« Reply #375 on: November 07, 2016, 05:39:13 PM »
NS,

I think you're missing mine. It's not about whether the claim "supernatural" can be called likely or unlikely without a method to establish either; rather it's about what happens when folks hitch their claims of the supernatural to the naturalistic wagon. Thus "Thor" for example is just white noise, not (im)probability apt. "Thor causes thunder" on the other hand opens a line of reasoning that leads to "unlikely" with no numbers required.

So far as I'm aware those who do assert the supernatural always tie those claims to the natural - causing compassion for example - rather than just claim them in the abstract, so the response "unlikely" seems to me reasonable when they do it.   
no, I'm not missing your's, indeed I have already specifically agreed with it. So tell me how maeght is justified in the 'unlikely' claim which us where I started on thus thread, in the absence of a methodology?

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #376 on: November 07, 2016, 05:39:59 PM »
you sound like a nice person Gabriella if a bit long winded, however I have no interest in peoples opinions especially those who appear to have no understanding of reality.

call me I think we could have a good time together ;)
I find I have to be long-winded on here as people make so many assumptions about what you meant. It's safer to put in a whole lot of caveats right at the start. It means I can usually dip in and out when I have time, having said my piece.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #377 on: November 07, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »
ok . now you said that
is this example valid?
because of what we know of the history of the surface of planet mars it is unlikely we will find life there but it does not say yet that life existed there.
Naturalistic claim being evaluated naturalistically, great and in terms of the discussion irrelevant.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #378 on: November 07, 2016, 06:15:59 PM »
NS,

no, I'm not missing your's, indeed I have already specifically agreed with it. So tell me how maeght is justified in the 'unlikely' claim which us where I started on thus thread, in the absence of a methodology?

He’s justified in it for the same reason that I’m justified in calling Thor unlikely to be the cause of thunder. In the abstract “Thor” and “God” alike are just noise, not probability apt. When though someone asserts either to be causal of naturalistic phenomena (thunder and compassion respectively) then the methods of naturalism – including logic and reason – apply.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #379 on: November 07, 2016, 06:31:17 PM »
NS,

He’s justified in it for the same reason that I’m justified in calling Thor unlikely to be the cause of thunder. In the abstract “Thor” and “God” alike are just noise, not probability apt. When though someone asserts either to be causal of naturalistic phenomena (thunder and compassion respectively) then the methods of naturalism – including logic and reason – apply.
not probability aot, then specifically means that the term that was used 'unlikely' is specious. Maeght used the term unlikely

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #380 on: November 07, 2016, 06:40:12 PM »
NS,

not probability aot, then specifically means that the term that was used 'unlikely' is specious. Maeght used the term unlikely

Not sure whether you're being deliberately disingenuous here, but that wasn't the argument. If someone had said just "God" and Maeght had replied "unlikely" then you'd have a point. What actually happened though was that someone conjectured "God" as causal of various human traits - compassion for example - and his reply was in response to that. It's analogous to Thor/thunder, and "unlikely" seems to be ok therefore for just the same reasons. 

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #381 on: November 07, 2016, 06:42:50 PM »
NS,

Not sure whether you're being deliberately disingenuous here, but that wasn't the argument. If someone had said just "God" and Maeght had replied "unlikely" then you'd have a point. What actually happened though was that someone conjectured "God" as causal of various human traits - compassion for example - and his reply was in response to that. It's analogous to Thor/thunder, and "unlikely" seems to be ok therefore for just the same reasons.
Does it matter who started it? Are you really gpoung to do the playground here? If someone says 'unlikely' without a methodology, why are you being hypocritical?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #382 on: November 07, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »
NS,

Does it matter who started it? Are you really gpoung to do the playground here? If someone says 'unlikely' without a methodology, why are you being hypocritical?

You appear to have replied to a different post? You asked about Maeght's reply of "unlikely", and I clarified that it was in reply to a claim of supernatural causal agency rather than to claim of the supernatural in the abstract. That's not "playground", it's clarification and context.

As for methodology, it's the same methodology you'd apply to the Thor/thunder claim: all known observable phenomena hitherto have been found to have natural causes; naturalistic hypotheses are investigable and verifiable; some components of thunder are well understood already etc, therefore a naturalistic answer in due course is more likely than a supernatural one. 

None of that requires numbers either by the way. 

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #383 on: November 07, 2016, 06:58:10 PM »
NS,

You appear to have replied to a different post? You asked about Maeght's reply of "unlikely", and I clarified that it was in reply to a claim of supernatural causal agency rather than to claim of the supernatural in the abstract. That's not "playground", it's clarification and context.

As for methodology, it's the same methodology you'd apply to the Thor/thunder claim: all known observable phenomena hitherto have been found to have natural causes; naturalistic hypotheses are investigable and verifiable; some components of thunder are well understood already etc, therefore a naturalistic answer in due course is more likely than a supernatural one. 

None of that requires numbers either by the way.
unlikely needs numbers. It's a calculation based on a methodology. You haven't provided one.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #384 on: November 07, 2016, 07:08:48 PM »
NS,

Yes it's the contortions you go through to make a straw man argument namely that there are still people who think Thor or God produce thunder (rather than subcontracting the job to scientific processes).

Also you also haven't added that your beliefs on this have led you into converting to scientism...Which issues into an eventually as thunder was shown to be a scientific process so will the appearance of the universe out of nothing or the eternal existence of the universe.....an assertion which is riddled with issues.

torridon

« Reply #385 on: November 08, 2016, 06:52:29 AM »
#366But surely this fails as soon as you apply it to anything human beings design and create?

Because we know that human beings design and create things, one does not need to explain the origin of human beings in order to conclude that computers, cars, aircraft, bridges, etc., are designed and created.
Which, in my opinion creates a bigger problem because you have a reverse regression, which inevitably means something coming from nothing.

Yes, we can point to instances that seem to suggest the reverse of my argument, that complexity arises from greater complexity still. Termite mounds are created by termites, and termites are more complex than termite mounds; ants create ant hills; an ant hill is less complex than an ant.  But this is trivial because the origins of both the termite and the termite mound are traceable back to simpler origins ultimately - life diversifies and develops through repeated underlying mechanisms that are insentient and simple such as cell division and copying errors which themselves are traceable back to yet simpler principles of energy conservation and statistical probability.  The cosmos produces pockets of increasing complexity against the backdrop of thermodynamic dissipation which tends to break them down and some of those pockets themselves produce pockets of lesser complexity in the short term but the overarching principle is that complex systems derive ultimately from simpler systems not the reverse as is implied by matrix theory or theism.  I think this poses more difficult problems than the reverse, which is something from nothing.  Something from nothing is the way to go I think, this is challenging I agree but we can rise to challenges; theism on the other hand merely avoids the challenge by presenting what is ultimately a tautology to get out of the regression.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:58:11 AM by torridon »

SusanDoris

« Reply #386 on: November 08, 2016, 07:07:02 AM »
Torridon

Well said, as always.

I had wondered whether to point out that all technology and tools of any sort designed and made by humans need said humans which have evolved to their current state of complexity over millions of years on an unbroken line of life, but I don't suppose SotS will take any notice! :)
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #387 on: November 08, 2016, 11:58:12 AM »
Maybe opening up to God, to use your phrase, is simultaneously closing the door to new insights gathered through other means.  I get the impression that your understanding of science belongs to somewhere around 1980, as if God came in and you lost interest at that point.  Seems a shame that.  Keeping an open mind, means always being open to new insights, and being open to the probability that you have been wrong about things in the past including god. None of us have all the answers.
God came into my life much earlier than 1980.  My interest and knowledge of science do not conflict with my faith - they complement it by giving me insights into the way God brought things into existence.  I have found nothing in science which causes me to doubt my faith in God, who I see as the ultimate source of everything and has made Himself known to us through Jesus Christ.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Walter

« Reply #388 on: November 08, 2016, 12:05:39 PM »
God came into my life much earlier than 1980.  My interest and knowledge of science do not conflict with my faith - they complement it by giving me insights into the way God brought things into existence.  I have found nothing in science which causes me to doubt my faith in God, who I see as the ultimate source of everything and has made Himself known to us through Jesus Christ.

you say you have an interest in science, how does your god and Jesus stand up to the scientific method.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #389 on: November 08, 2016, 01:54:23 PM »
Moderator:

This thread has been returned following the removal of a number of posts.

By all means tackle arguments, but in doing so please avoid adding personal attacks or comments into posts. 

Alan Burns

« Reply #390 on: November 08, 2016, 05:46:49 PM »
you say you have an interest in science, how does your god and Jesus stand up to the scientific method.
I am fascinated by science and I am aware of God's existence and my own spiritual nature.
God invented science.
I see it as there to be discovered, used and manipulated by creative actions driven by conscious free will.
I see the hand of God in everything I perceive.  Some small examples - the means of extracting nitrogen from the earth's atmosphere to bring essential nitrates into the soil by using lightning.  (see Nitrogen Fixation).  Or the precise size and position of the moon to ensure that our beaches and coastlines are kept clean by the action of the tides, facilitating the transfer of sea life to land.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:04:51 PM by Alan Burns »
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Walter

« Reply #391 on: November 08, 2016, 06:03:48 PM »
I am fascinated by science and I am aware of God's existence and my own spiritual nature.
God invented science.
I see it as there to be discovered, used and manipulated by creative actions driven by conscious free will.
I see the hand of God in everything I perceive.  One small example - the means of extracting nitrogen from the earth's atmosphere to bring essential nitrates into the soil by using lightning.  (see Nitrogen Fixation)

doesn't answer my question, does it.

Alan Burns

« Reply #392 on: November 08, 2016, 06:08:17 PM »
doesn't answer my question, does it.
May I ask what there is in science which prevents you from believing in God's existence?

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #393 on: November 08, 2016, 06:17:26 PM »
Yes, we can point to instances that seem to suggest the reverse of my argument, that complexity arises from greater complexity still. Termite mounds are created by termites, and termites are more complex than termite mounds; ants create ant hills; an ant hill is less complex than an ant.  But this is trivial because the origins of both the termite and the termite mound are traceable back to simpler origins ultimately - life diversifies and develops through repeated underlying mechanisms that are insentient and simple such as cell division and copying errors which themselves are traceable back to yet simpler principles of energy conservation and statistical probability.  The cosmos produces pockets of increasing complexity against the backdrop of thermodynamic dissipation which tends to break them down and some of those pockets themselves produce pockets of lesser complexity in the short term but the overarching principle is that complex systems derive ultimately from simpler systems not the reverse as is implied by matrix theory or theism.  I think this poses more difficult problems than the reverse, which is something from nothing.  Something from nothing is the way to go I think, this is challenging I agree but we can rise to challenges; theism on the other hand merely avoids the challenge by presenting what is ultimately a tautology to get out of the regression.
Your honesty is appreciated here Torridon…

I would give more consideration to the something from nothing side if I didn't see the concept appearing to be contradicted by observation and other areas of science.

On the science side, I could use e.g. from Physics, Newton’s conservation of xxx laws from Physics, or Chemistry, where something does appear to come from nothing (e.g. the order from disorder in a snowflake), something is given up in order for this to happen, namely heat energy.

On the observation side, complexity can come from something less complex (no problem with that), but either there is some guiding influence for this to happen and/or the ability is there to do so from the start.

Personally, I don’t see theism avoiding the challenge of the regression as there is one on either side of the debate. The theistic solution is to have a first cause that is eternal (without beginning or end) therefore needs no cause itself. The alternative is the uncaused cause. Personally, I go with the former.
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

Alan Burns

« Reply #394 on: November 08, 2016, 06:32:23 PM »
The cosmos produces pockets of increasing complexity against the backdrop of thermodynamic dissipation which tends to break them down and some of those pockets themselves produce pockets of lesser complexity in the short term but the overarching principle is that complex systems derive ultimately from simpler systems not the reverse as is implied by matrix theory or theism.
Can you be certain that it is the unguided forces of the cosmos which have produced these pockets of increasing complexity on our planet?  Evidence shows that unguided forces produce increasing chaos rather than increasing complexity.  We have no evidence that these pockets of increasing complexity exist elsewhere in the cosmos, but if they do I am certain that the hand of God will be involved.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:40:45 PM by Alan Burns »

torridon

« Reply #395 on: November 08, 2016, 06:40:27 PM »

Well I don't see how you can make that claim given that most of your ouevre revolves around free will, conscious self, perception etc, none of your understandings of which are consistent with insights from modern research.

Alan Burns

« Reply #396 on: November 08, 2016, 06:47:05 PM »
Well I don't see how you can make that claim given that most of your ouevre revolves around free will, conscious self, perception etc, none of your understandings of which are consistent with insights from modern research.
I have not come across anything in modern science to explain what comprises free will, conscious awareness and perception other than correlation with observed patterns of chemical activity in the brain.  The chemical activity may well be related to these properties, but it does not define them.

BeRational

« Reply #397 on: November 08, 2016, 06:49:13 PM »
I have not come across anything in modern science to explain what comprises free will, conscious awareness and perception other than correlation with observed patterns of chemical activity in the brain.  The chemical activity may well be related to these properties, but it does not define them.

Argument from ignorance fallacy.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Walter

« Reply #398 on: November 08, 2016, 06:50:11 PM »
May I ask what there is in science which prevents you from believing in God's existence?

a total lack of evidence. Will that do?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #399 on: November 08, 2016, 06:52:37 PM »
To which Susan Doris replied:

''Well said''

Yes.....but only if he said it without pausing for breath.