Author Topic: Christian polytheism  (Read 2615 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Christian polytheism
« on: October 31, 2016, 02:15:30 PM »
Just wondering which Christians on here are polytheists as Hope seems to think you all are (see quote below)?

'I also think that you forget that Christians don't claim that their God is the only deity - the Bible is full of references to other deities.  What is different is that this deity claimed that he is the only one who has the best for humanity at heart.'

http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?topic=12806.msg643262#msg643262

Brownie

• Faith evolves
Re: Christian polytheism
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 04:26:37 PM »
I don't really understand what Hope is saying, perhaps he'll explain it.
In the Bible there are people who worship Baal and others, perhaps that's what is meant.  However Christians don't believe Baal was or is a deity, the definition of which is god or goddess.  We believe there is one God.
So I'm none the wiser.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 04:39:35 PM »
Just wondering which Christians on here are polytheists as Hope seems to think you all are (see quote below)?

'I also think that you forget that Christians don't claim that their God is the only deity - the Bible is full of references to other deities.  What is different is that this deity claimed that he is the only one who has the best for humanity at heart.'

http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?topic=12806.msg643262#msg643262
One doesn't have to be a polytheist to believe in the existence of more than one deity, NS.  Monotheistic faiths acknowledge a single deity as the power behind everything and worship him or her, rather than worshipping a variety of deities.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 04:41:56 PM »
I don't really understand what Hope is saying, perhaps he'll explain it.
In the Bible there are people who worship Baal and others, perhaps that's what is meant.  However Christians don't believe Baal was or is a deity, the definition of which is god or goddess.  We believe there is one God.
So I'm none the wiser.
Brownie, notice the use of a lower case or a higher case G in your post.  What is the difference?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 04:44:12 PM »
One doesn't have to be a polytheist to believe in the existence of more than one deity, NS.  Monotheistic faiths acknowledge a single deity as the power behind everything and worship him or her, rather than worshipping a variety of deities.

By definition believing in more than one deity makes you a polytheist. You just appear to be the subset known as a henotheist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henotheism

BTW which other gods do you believe exist?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:47:11 PM by Nearly Sane »

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 04:56:24 PM »
By definition believing in more than one deity makes you a polytheist. You just appear to be the subset known as a henotheist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henotheism

BTW which other gods do you believe exist?
By definition, worshipping a variety of gods makes you a polytheist.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 04:58:51 PM »
By definition, worshipping a variety of gods makes you a polytheist.
Yes, as does believing in multiple gods. As already pointed out of those who are polytheists, you are a henotheistic one.

So again what other gods do you believe in?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 05:22:56 PM »
Yes, as does believing in multiple gods. As already pointed out of those who are polytheists, you are a henotheistic one.

So again what other gods do you believe in?
It depends in what you mean by 'belief (in)', NS.  I believe that Manchester United, West Ham, Grimsby, Swansea City, Cambridge Utd, Spurs, Arsenal and sundry other football clubs exist, but I 'believe in' (follow) Oxford United.

To answer the second question, I believe that there are a variety of powers in existence which go by the names of Hanuman, Krishna, Allah, Buddha, etc - but I do not follow them or believe that they have ultimate power.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 05:28:23 PM »
It depends in what you mean by 'belief (in)', NS.  I believe that Manchester United, West Ham, Grimsby, Swansea City, Cambridge Utd, Spurs, Arsenal and sundry other football clubs exist, but I 'believe in' (follow) Oxford United.

To answer the second question, I believe that there are a variety of powers in existence which go by the names of Hanuman, Krishna, Allah, Buddha, etc - but I do not follow them or believe that they have ultimate power.
It doesn't depend what I mean, that's why I posted the link to henotheism.

What is this god 'etc' that you believe exists? How many gods are there that you have a belief in?

BTW to Brownie, has Hope clarified enough for you what he means?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 06:00:59 PM »
It doesn't depend what I mean, that's why I posted the link to henotheism.
And that link is precisely why I asked what you mean by belief (in).  dictionary.com gives - as one definition of henotheism -

henotheism, a polytheism which assigns to one god of the pantheon superiority over the rest.

As a Christian, I don't believe in a pantheon (All the gods of a people or religion collectively: Oxford Dictionary), so I can't be a henotheist.

The Oxford Dictionary gives this definition
Adherence to one particular god out of several, especially by a family, tribe, or other group.

Regarding the 'etc', Hinduism alone has 33 prakar (which some have translated as 33 Crore - 330 million) deities (some male and some female)  I don't happen to know the names of all of them.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:48:50 PM by Hope »

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 06:45:25 PM »
Yes I understand what he means now, thanks.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 06:47:51 PM »
Yes I understand what he means now, thanks.
So I take it you don't agree with his position that this is what Christians believe?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »
So I take it you don't agree with his position that this is what Christians believe?
What, that Christianity isn't - as you seem determined to suggest - a henotheistic faith?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 06:52:54 PM »
What, that Christianity isn't - as you seem determined to suggest - a henotheistic faith?
  No, that's what your position and statements mean. Brownie seems to be a classic monotheist

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »
And that link is precisely why I asked what you mean by belief (in).  dictionary.com gives - as one definition of henotheism -

As a Christian, I don't believe in a pantheon (All the gods of a people or religion collectively: Oxford Dictionary), so I can't be a henotheist.

The Oxford Dictionary gives this definition
Regarding the 'etc', Hinduism alone has 33 prakar (which some have translated as 33 Crore - 330 million) deities (some male and some female)  I don't happen to know the names of all of them.

You believe in more than 1 God. The pantheon you have is the gods you believe in.

Are you saying in addition that you believe in all of the Hindu gods?

trippymonkey

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 09:49:29 PM »
Is there anyone here who might believe other religions not Christianity, Judaism or Islam, are worshipping the 'same' god?

Nick

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 10:13:38 PM »
Brownie, notice the use of a lower case or a higher case G in your post.  What is the difference?
Also replying to NS.

I believe in one God.  Anything else we may worship to an extent, such as wealth, possessions, physical fitness (maybe football teams), could be considered our 'gods'.  Indeed, people make gods out of all sorts of stuff, I daresay I have at times.  In that sense I agree that Christians have more than one 'god' but they are not comparable to God Almighty.

The word, "Deities" which you (Hope) used in the opening post is somewhat confusing.   'Deities' implies personalities and you mentioned names in a later post.   Christians do not worship more than one Almighty God, however it's not uncommon to have a particular devotion to an aspect of His character and to give that aspect a name.