Author Topic: Brexit - the next steps  (Read 399673 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Brexit - the next steps
« Reply #3700 on: March 21, 2019, 11:01:25 PM »
Five minutes ago over 1,300,00.
Broken 2,000,000. I wonder how many signatures it has to have before the BBC starts reporting it.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3701 on: March 21, 2019, 11:34:39 PM »
No, it ends with no deal. An extension is for something. The EU have said the WA is the deal. There is not a magic new deal
Sorry, you are not making sense to me. 

The WA is not a deal, it allows for a 2 years transition period, during which all the things Corbyn wants can be negotiated or implemented. Whatever the long term deal he wants the WA must be agreed as is before further negotiations. All the changes he needs are to the non binding Political Declaration not the WA (as I understand things).

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

wigginhall

« Reply #3702 on: March 22, 2019, 12:02:05 AM »
Aren't the EU also saying (covertly) vote against the deal, get rid of May, and get a long extension and a soft Brexit?   Depends if enough Tories are regicides.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #3703 on: March 22, 2019, 08:32:47 AM »
Aren't the EU also saying (covertly) vote against the deal, get rid of May, and get a long extension and a soft Brexit?   Depends if enough Tories are regicides.
I don't think so. They have clearly tried to keep as many options open for as long as they can.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3704 on: March 22, 2019, 09:33:29 AM »
I see Hilary Benn et al have already tabled an amendment for next week (see 8.37 entry in BBC live stream) so as to allow indicative votes, and Bercow still has confirm he will allow MV3.

I wonder if those Labour MPs who supported May before, on the basis that we had to abide that the result of that flawed referendum. would oppose her MV3 now (if it happens) on that basis that leaving under a softer Brexit has probably just become an option.

wigginhall

« Reply #3705 on: March 22, 2019, 11:13:03 AM »
A long extension seems possible, but seems to require an improbable series of events, e.g., getting rid of May, and finding a leader who is not hard Brexit, I.e., not Johnson.   A general election seems obvious, but Tories will probably resist.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3706 on: March 22, 2019, 11:31:45 AM »
No-one with anysense in the Tory pary (assuming such creaturesexist) would go fora leadership contest, though. Were a hard righter like Johnson, or, heaven forbid, Rees-Mogg, to get the poisoned chalice, many of the more moderate Tories would simply throw in the towel andquit, leaving what was left of the Tories with no chance of a continuing mandate to govern.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3707 on: March 22, 2019, 11:40:17 AM »
No-one with anysense in the Tory pary (assuming such creaturesexist) would go fora leadership contest, though. Were a hard righter like Johnson, or, heaven forbid, Rees-Mogg, to get the poisoned chalice, many of the more moderate Tories would simply throw in the towel andquit, leaving what was left of the Tories with no chance of a continuing mandate to govern.
There already a number of shadow campaigns for leadership out there, Johnson's been given 15k by JCB for his campaign, Raab has a slogan - Ready for Raab, Truss has a new charity thing, it's all systems go. The current front runner seems to be Gove

wigginhall

« Reply #3708 on: March 22, 2019, 11:43:48 AM »
Yes, May stays, appalling though she is, as the Tories are worried about splits if a hard or soft new leader is elected.  I suppose the hope is that the Commons rejects her deal, and votes for something else, e.g., soft Brexit, and May quits.   The EU is almost giving a nudge. 

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #3709 on: March 22, 2019, 11:46:45 AM »
Suppose MV3 failed and May (claiming she had tried her best) then quit. Would a motion requesting a long extension (including UK MEP elections being organised and held)  pass? 

wigginhall

« Reply #3710 on: March 22, 2019, 11:51:18 AM »
Suppose MV3 failed and May (claiming she had tried her best) then quit. Would a motion requesting a long extension (including UK MEP elections being organised and held)  pass?

No idea.  The EU seem to be dangling that carrot, and there are supposed to be a majority of remain or soft Brexit MPs.  Trouble is, it requires some Tories to wield the axe.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #3711 on: March 22, 2019, 11:56:08 AM »
Yes, May stays, appalling though she is, as the Tories are worried about splits if a hard or soft new leader is elected.  I suppose the hope is that the Commons rejects her deal, and votes for something else, e.g., soft Brexit, and May quits.   The EU is almost giving a nudge.
I still think that for an MP wanting a soft brexit the safest thing to do is to vote for May's deal, then push for staying in the customs union during the implementation period. Especially if it looks like there is no solution to the Irish border issue.

wigginhall

« Reply #3712 on: March 22, 2019, 12:04:17 PM »
I still think that for an MP wanting a soft brexit the safest thing to do is to vote for May's deal, then push for staying in the customs union during the implementation period. Especially if it looks like there is no solution to the Irish border issue.

Yes, that's possible.  One problem is that if May goes, we may get a headbanger as leader.  If she stays, she is the headbanger.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #3713 on: March 22, 2019, 12:08:39 PM »
Yes, that's possible.  One problem is that if May goes, we may get a headbanger as leader.  If she stays, she is the headbanger.
I don't think she can last long even if her deal passes. Her right wing will revolt and a no confidence vote could pass.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3714 on: March 22, 2019, 12:13:29 PM »
I don't think she can last long even if her deal passes. Her right wing will revolt and a no confidence vote could pass.
A vote of no confidence in the government, or in her?

I don't think her own party are going to vote against their own government in a vote of no confidence in parliament. And there cannot be another vote of no confidence in May by her own party MPs until Dec as they tried and failed to win such a vote before xmas and a tory leader cannot face another vote of confidence for a year following victory in such a vote.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #3715 on: March 22, 2019, 12:31:36 PM »
A vote of no confidence in the government, or in her?

I don't think her own party are going to vote against their own government in a vote of no confidence in parliament. And there cannot be another vote of no confidence in May by her own party MPs until Dec as they tried and failed to win such a vote before xmas and a tory leader cannot face another vote of confidence for a year following victory in such a vote.
I meant a no confidence vote against the government. The government only have a slim majority and could well lose the support of the DUP and any hard brexiters who see anything other than no-deal as betrayal.   

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3716 on: March 22, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »
I meant a no confidence vote against the government. The government only have a slim majority and could well lose the support of the DUP and any hard brexiters who see anything other than no-deal as betrayal.
Possibly but I would not be sure.

It is certainly possible that the DUP could jump ship on confidence, but whether that would be to voting against the government rather than abstaining isn't clear.

I think it unlikely that any current Tory MPs would vote against their own government in a confidence vote - to do so would mean instant expulsion from the party and if they were then party-less (or not confirmed as a candidate for another party) in the resulting general election they'd be out of parliament.

Not certain that the TIGGers would vote agains the government rather than abstain - they aren't fans of Corbyn in case you hadn't noticed ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 01:41:10 PM by ProfessorDavey »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3717 on: March 22, 2019, 01:38:02 PM »
And, of course, the reverse also applies (i.e. were a more moderate MP to win, the right of the party would quit). A leadership campaign now, irrespective of the winner, would destroy the Tories, probably for a generation.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3718 on: March 22, 2019, 01:42:21 PM »
But a general election now might see a lot of Tory MPs losing their seats and the DUP losing their leverage. The government will not lose a vote of no confidence.

wigginhall

« Reply #3719 on: March 22, 2019, 03:36:36 PM »
One of the interesting things happening is that the EU have bypassed May, as they have realized she is completely rigid, and hates parliament.   So they are offering other choices, but whether or not MPs can utilize this - dunno.  I notice that Peston is pessimistic about it.

Spud

« Reply #3720 on: March 22, 2019, 05:36:19 PM »
It all seems pointless if the MPs aren't given free/unwhipped votes.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3721 on: March 22, 2019, 06:07:11 PM »
Nice to know that no-deal planning is going well:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/22/secret-cabinet-office-document-reveals-chaotic-planning-for-no-deal-brexit

Yet some still yearn for no-deal.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3722 on: March 22, 2019, 07:07:12 PM »
Nice to know that no-deal planning is going well:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/22/secret-cabinet-office-document-reveals-chaotic-planning-for-no-deal-brexit

Yet some still yearn for no-deal.
Given how well planning for a Deal Brexit is going, would you expect anything else?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3723 on: March 22, 2019, 08:33:20 PM »
And let us always remember that the WA is the easy bit.

torridon

« Reply #3724 on: March 23, 2019, 07:26:22 AM »
Quite right... I've emailed my MP to explain why I voted leave and why I now think we should remain. Meanwhile, this petition to parliament is gaining about 200 signatures every 10 seconds!
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Applause for Spud.

It's good that we can rethink and be prepared to change our minds.