Author Topic: Brexit - the next steps  (Read 398598 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Brexit - the next steps
« Reply #4400 on: September 05, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »
And today from the BBC's running updates on the great soap opera

Match the headline with the national newspaper

• "He just can't win"
• "Britain's worst PM (since the last one)"
• "'Hypocrite' Corbyn rejects election to break deadlock"
• "Cornered Johnson suffers triple Commons defeat"
• "PM cornered after day of defeats in the Commons"
• "Johnson backed into corner as Commons delivers double blow"
• "Corbyn chickens out of an election"
• "Is this the most dangerous chicken in Britain?"
• "Johnson blocked as MPs refuse early election call"
• "Boris urges 'people power' to force election"

And finally...
• "My giant boobs nearly killed my baby"

Answers here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-49588171

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4401 on: September 05, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »
And then there were 288

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49594793

Thew PM's own brother has jumped ship.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Outrider

« Reply #4402 on: September 05, 2019, 11:36:01 AM »
Johnson is criticising Corby for not wanting to be elected after shutting the government down so that he doesn't have to govern... tool!

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4403 on: September 05, 2019, 11:55:37 AM »
And then there were 288

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49594793

Thew PM's own brother has jumped ship.

Talk about stabbing someone in the front?
Good aim, though.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

« Reply #4405 on: September 05, 2019, 12:17:02 PM »
Oh dear! ;D
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #4406 on: September 05, 2019, 01:55:03 PM »
This is good

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00082dd

James Goldsmith today ... obviously the current shambles results from many independent earlier events.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4407 on: September 05, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »
Heard a comment on the radio along the lines that since the bill requiring an A50 extension if no deal is reached by Oct 19th (I think) looks like getting assent, then Johnson may well have shot himself in the foot by proroguing parliament, in that if he fails to get support for a GE he desperately wants before 31st Oct that is tabled for this coming Monday there will be no more time to pass something else before parliament shuts until mid-October.

I'd imagine that he might have to call a no-confidence vote on himself.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #4408 on: September 05, 2019, 03:30:18 PM »
What stops Boris Johnson requesting and getting an extension and then just declaring that the UK has left without a deal at any time that suits him?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4409 on: September 05, 2019, 03:33:53 PM »
Does this new bill not say that no-deal would only be an option if parliament specifically voted for it?

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4410 on: September 05, 2019, 03:52:40 PM »
What stops Boris Johnson requesting and getting an extension and then just declaring that the UK has left without a deal at any time that suits him?

Pride.
He's stated umpteen times that we leave on Oct 31.
If we extended, he'd have to resign.
(Not that I'm bothered if he DOES resign)

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #4411 on: September 05, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »
Does this new bill not say that no-deal would only be an option if parliament specifically voted for it?
Yes - I think that must be it - and hopefully doesn't just apply up to Jan 31st.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #4412 on: September 05, 2019, 04:33:24 PM »

Pride.
He's stated umpteen times that we leave on Oct 31.
If we extended, he'd have to resign.
(Not that I'm bothered if he DOES resign)

Hope so - but let's see...

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #4413 on: September 05, 2019, 04:38:24 PM »
That would be illegal with this new bill.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4414 on: September 05, 2019, 05:19:19 PM »
Would be bound by the date agreed with the EU, and the no no deal law

Roses

« Reply #4415 on: September 05, 2019, 06:37:33 PM »
Boris says he would rather be dead in a ditch than ask for an extension to Brexit. A wish which might come true, if some nutter takes umbrage! :o
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4416 on: September 05, 2019, 08:22:45 PM »

Rees Mogg is a disgrace. And if he doesn't repeat thisp outside the House a lying coward.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49598999

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4417 on: September 05, 2019, 08:38:08 PM »
Johnson's speech was bizarre. And his lack of concern for the police person who had to sit down indicative of his lack of empathy.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4418 on: September 05, 2019, 09:11:55 PM »
Johnson's speech was bizarre. And his lack of concern for the police person who had to sit down indicative of his lack of empathy.

If this was supposed to be a precursor to an election campaign, it was pathetic in the extreme.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4419 on: September 05, 2019, 09:29:34 PM »
 A sparkling blog from Paul Kavanagh , the "Wee Ginger Dud", entitled "Dead in a ditch". IIncidentally, 'LBJ' stands for Lying Bastard Johnson Catchy, isn't it? https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/2019/09/05/dead-in-a-ditch/

Christine

« Reply #4420 on: September 06, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
The way this country's "unwritten constitution" is being destroyed by the right-wing of the Conservative party (shouldn't they be required to change their name under advertising standards or something?) we'll be lucky if the EU doesn't chuck us out whatever, because we no longer meet their membership criteria.

Johnson makes Corbyn look like a statesman.  Corbyn holding the opposition together and avoiding all the pathetically obvious traps being set is our only hope and so far it looks like he might do it.  Perhaps, if he succeeds, he could step down before the next election.  That could deliver the final blow to the Tories and he'd go down in history as a good politician rather than a good campaigner who ultimately contributed to keeping the Tories in office.

It's crossed my mind that Dominic Cummings is actually a deeply embedded RCP agent.  He certainly seems to be doing more damage to the Tories than Labour have managed over the last 9 painful years.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #4421 on: September 06, 2019, 01:47:11 PM »
A sparkling blog from Paul Kavanagh , the "Wee Ginger Dud", entitled "Dead in a ditch". IIncidentally, 'LBJ' stands for Lying Bastard Johnson Catchy, isn't it? https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/2019/09/05/dead-in-a-ditch/

Thank you, I enjoyed that.

A couple of years ago, I had an argument with my Dad about whether David Cameron or Theresa May would go down in history as the worst ever prime minister. Turns out we were both wrong.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #4422 on: September 06, 2019, 02:32:53 PM »
He still has opportunity ... but needs to act for the good of the nation he wants to lead rather than fetch and carry for a bunch of tax dodgers.

ETA: .. beginning, assuming it is within his abilities, by not lying every time he speaks!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 02:42:40 PM by Udayana »

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #4423 on: September 06, 2019, 03:10:40 PM »

Excellent piece.

I loved the Winston Churchill/Captain Mainwearing characterisation.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4424 on: September 06, 2019, 03:34:07 PM »
Now that the opposition parties seem determined to not support a second FTPA motion to allow Johnson an October GE in case he used his authority to vary the date so that it is after 31st October, and presumably they could cooperate to also prevent any one-off GE 'notwithstanding' motion succeeding, it would seem that the only other GE route would be if Johnson called a VoNC in his own government.

Surely all the opposition parties need then do is decide they did have 'confidence' in the government, so that Johnson 'wins', as a means of preventing a GE after 14 days - so Johnson has no route to getting a GE in October.