Author Topic: Brexit - the next steps  (Read 410239 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Brexit - the next steps
« Reply #5900 on: December 10, 2020, 09:09:12 PM »
Oh, I hadn't head about Johnson's babbling. Thank you.

I  read somewhere that Johnson wants to have been prime minister  but does want to be prime minister.
He wanted to become Prime minister and wants to have been prime minister but is having trouble with the bit in the middle.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #5901 on: December 11, 2020, 01:54:48 PM »
The attached is a document from a HoL committee to Michael Gove regarding preparedness for 1st January as regards goods transport - it is a scary read.

https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/3919/documents/39339/default/

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5902 on: December 11, 2020, 02:17:42 PM »
The attached is a document from a HoL committee to Michael Gove regarding preparedness for 1st January as regards goods transport - it is a scary read.

https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/3919/documents/39339/default/

We are led by fuckwits. But we knew this anyway.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

« Reply #5906 on: December 12, 2020, 11:13:16 AM »
WHAT A MESS!!!! >:(
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5908 on: December 12, 2020, 12:13:35 PM »
Marina Hyde

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/11/boris-johnson-charm-prime-minister-england-dover?__twitter_impression=true

It will all be fine. I have it on good authority from a Brexit supporter. Anyway it's The Guardian, makes my blood boil. I'm a liberal who reads The Telegraph because it makes me laugh.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5909 on: December 12, 2020, 01:59:57 PM »
The Daily Mail post Brexit food guide

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/british-food-substitutes-no-deal-brexit-daily-mail-6720142?fbclid=IwAR2luunj3-hjN5O3MSZm_bPQky3fXD_aZ73gkQNmgQ-Q7ObSguAduvPGXK0

Strange how the Daily Mail was quiet on the subject of pizza shortages before the referendum.

I hope Ippy can come up with his list of benefits of Brexit soon because I'm seeing nothing but downsides.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ippy

« Reply #5910 on: December 12, 2020, 03:09:03 PM »
Strange how the Daily Mail was quiet on the subject of pizza shortages before the referendum.

I hope Ippy can come up with his list of benefits of Brexit soon because I'm seeing nothing but downsides.

My spell checker underlined your Ippy on that post you've aimed at  me. I'm only mentioning about my handle because I spell it with a lower case i.
I mentioned this to another poster after he had pointed out another one of my far too many misspellings to me, so I felt it was only fair to point out his mistake in return, I can't say I minded this being pointed out to me too much and I'll promise not to be a judge at any spelling bee, ever.

ippy.

ippy

« Reply #5911 on: December 12, 2020, 03:37:22 PM »
It will all be fine. I have it on good authority from a Brexit supporter. Anyway it's The Guardian, makes my blood boil. I'm a liberal who reads The Telegraph because it makes me laugh.

Where did I say it'll all be fine, I can remember saying how I feel about Sovereignty and the hang em and flog em in the Telegraph, that paper's so extreme I can't take it seriously and again I don't think any the worse of people who voted remain, voting remain doesn't automatically make someone a bad person.

ippy.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5912 on: December 12, 2020, 05:42:27 PM »
My spell checker underlined your Ippy on that post you've aimed at  me. I'm only mentioning about my handle because I spell it with a lower case i.
I mentioned this to another poster after he had pointed out another one of my far too many misspellings to me, so I felt it was only fair to point out his mistake in return, I can't say I minded this being pointed out to me too much and I'll promise not to be a judge at any spelling bee, ever.

ippy.
I think there's a new Brexit rule coming in that it is mandatory to properly capitalise all proper nouns just like we did in the good old days of empire before we joined the EU.

Can you think of any real benefits of Brexit?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5913 on: December 12, 2020, 06:32:46 PM »
Where did I say it'll all be fine, I can remember saying how I feel about Sovereignty and the hang em and flog em in the Telegraph, that paper's so extreme I can't take it seriously and again I don't think any the worse of people who voted remain, voting remain doesn't automatically make someone a bad person.

ippy.

No I agree, I don't even think those who voted leave are bad people. Just incredibly naive. And misled. And short sighted.

Anyway, who said I was talking about you?  I know more than one naive, misled, short sighted leaver.

Anyway, like Jeremy I await  the list of all the benefits leaving the EU will bring us. I'm sure you've got one.

ippy

« Reply #5914 on: December 12, 2020, 07:28:06 PM »
No I agree, I don't even think those who voted leave are bad people. Just incredibly naive. And misled. And short sighted.

Anyway, who said I was talking about you?  I know more than one naive, misled, short sighted leaver.

Anyway, like Jeremy I await  the list of all the benefits leaving the EU will bring us. I'm sure you've got one.

Well Trent, there's the thing I, as near as makes no difference, I think the opposite to you.

I think it's more to do with having a go at whatever any leaver likes to say about leaving, you must know how much of a gulf there is between the two sides, surly that's why referendum.

No doubt the referendum was wrong for some reason as well, Trent we'll never agree with anything anybody says on the opposing side of  this one says no doubt until the end of time so what's the point?

Oh yes you did point in my direction viz a viz my reference to those two bloody awful newspapers the stupid Guardian and the unrealistic Telegraph. (No doubt there'll be a disagreement about the newspapers too).

ippy.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 07:43:14 PM by ippy »

ippy

« Reply #5915 on: December 12, 2020, 07:40:51 PM »
I think there's a new Brexit rule coming in that it is mandatory to properly capitalise all proper nouns just like we did in the good old days of empire before we joined the EU.

Can you think of any real benefits of Brexit?

Yes j p, sovereignty completely justifies leaving on its own for me and before you mention anything in the direction of me saying anything further about leaving, forget it. 

I don't look down on remainers and I don't think remainers are simple minded either, I just think remainers got it wrong they're not necessarily bad people either.

ippy.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #5916 on: December 12, 2020, 07:54:22 PM »
Well Trent, there's the thing I, as near as makes no difference, I think the opposite to you.

I think it's more to do with having a go at whatever any leaver likes to say about leaving, you must know how much of a gulf there is between the two sides, surly that's why referendum.

No doubt the referendum was wrong for some reason as well, Trent we'll never agree with anything anybody on the opposing side of  this one says no doubt until the end of time so what's the point?

Oh yes you did point in my direction viz a viz my reference to those two bloody awful newspapers the stupid Guardian and the unrealistic Telegraph. (No doubt there'll be a disagreement about the newspapers too).

ippy.

You still haven't mentioned a single actual benefit from Brexit. It is without doubt there will be a cost to the economy, even greater if, as now looks likely, we leave with no deal. In that case, there are likely to be food shortages (supermarkets are trying to stockpile but it's Xmas too) - certainly there will be price increases. People will lose their jobs - Nissan has said their Sunderland plant will not be viable with no trade deal. Other automotive plants will likely follow. As always, it's the poor who will suffer most - watch the Tory MPs and their rich friends get richer.

And for what exactly?

Sovereignty is an impossible unicorn and always was. Every trade deal we do takes away some sovereignty because it comes with obligations that must be met - it's only blind hatred of the EU that is preventing us doing a deal with them because of the idiotic prejudice of the Brexit extremists who will gladly give up sovereignty to do a deal with (for example) the USA. WTO rules have to be followed even if we never do another trade deal with anybody.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #5918 on: December 13, 2020, 09:16:27 AM »
Gunships in the channel: it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

I suspect that Boris the Liar has morphed into Captain Mainwaring.

Roses

« Reply #5919 on: December 13, 2020, 11:15:28 AM »
Gunships in the channel: it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

I suspect that Boris the Liar has morphed into Captain Mainwaring.

You could be right!

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #5920 on: December 13, 2020, 11:31:34 AM »
Reminds me of the early 70s cod wars, when I was on the side of Iceland.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #5921 on: December 13, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-55288568

The trade talks with the EU are to be extended beyond today.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5922 on: December 13, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »
Taking back control of our fishing rights by giving the monitoring responsibilities to..........erm, the French:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/reminder-that-britain-handed-the-license-to-monitor-its-waters-to-a-french-firm-last-year/13/12/?

Sovereignty eh? A wonderful thing.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #5923 on: December 13, 2020, 12:51:12 PM »
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #5924 on: December 13, 2020, 12:53:30 PM »
Taking back control of our fishing rights by giving the monitoring responsibilities to..........erm, the French:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/reminder-that-britain-handed-the-license-to-monitor-its-waters-to-a-french-firm-last-year/13/12/?

Sovereignty eh? A wonderful thing.

Must be better than just handing over cash to Boris' mates for sticking in pins at random?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now