Author Topic: Brexit - the next steps  (Read 399801 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Brexit - the next steps
« Reply #3650 on: March 19, 2019, 12:31:38 PM »
Yes, but May is not following a strategy that will get the Withdrawal Agreement accepted by parliament even with an extension. In fact an extension and the Speaker's statements yesterday leave her "running down the clock" tactic even more useless.

Not if her goal is to sabotage Brexit so it never happens.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

wigginhall

« Reply #3651 on: March 19, 2019, 01:56:17 PM »
I expect most people have heard the joke, a French politician has named her cat Brexit - he asks to go out, but when she opens the door, he just stands there.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Roses

« Reply #3652 on: March 19, 2019, 01:57:40 PM »
I expect most people have heard the joke, a French politician has named her cat Brexit - he asks to go out, but when she opens the door, he just stands there.

Sensible cat. ;D
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3653 on: March 19, 2019, 02:34:51 PM »
Not if her goal is to sabotage Brexit so it never happens.
Shhh... you'll out her :)
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Roses

« Reply #3654 on: March 19, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »
I will be one very happy bunny if Brexit never happens.

wigginhall

« Reply #3655 on: March 20, 2019, 04:58:52 PM »
Looks like deal or no deal, if Tusk is saying that an extension is conditional on the deal being passed.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3656 on: March 20, 2019, 05:05:07 PM »
Hopefully the option of rescinding A50 is the last option standing if no-deal is a no-no.

Barring that, this might be a good time for the option of passing May's deal subject to a referendum, since the EU might well allow that (and a longer extension to organise it) on the basis it could result in no Brexit, and doing that next week also relieves the HoC of making the final decision.

wigginhall

« Reply #3657 on: March 20, 2019, 05:27:32 PM »
And some clever clogs have pointed out that Tusk didn't reject a long deal, but May has.   So it's not either deal or no deal.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3658 on: March 20, 2019, 07:16:40 PM »
Seems that the Maybot is to 'address the nation' at 8.15pm - cue the usual robotic mantras: 'biggest democratic exercise' yak yak yak, '17.4 million people' yada yada yada, and not forgetting that old chesnut 'take back control of our money, laws and borders'.

Her, her party (or most of them) and Brexit need to be binned.   

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3659 on: March 20, 2019, 07:40:34 PM »
So apparently Corbyn walked out of cross party talks with May because Umunna was there and 'He isn't a proper leader'.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:42:43 PM by Nearly Sane »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3660 on: March 20, 2019, 07:57:45 PM »
So apparently Corbyn walked out of cross party talks with May because Umunna was there and 'He isn't a proper leader'.
He's still playing party politics?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3661 on: March 20, 2019, 08:06:25 PM »
He's still playing party politics?
Or just personal politics?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3662 on: March 20, 2019, 08:51:51 PM »
Watched her 'address', complete with her usual stock phrases: it seems it isn't her fault at all!

She is a waste of space and needs to go sooner rather than later. If her deal gets voted down next week, as it should, I can't see how she can stay as PM.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3663 on: March 20, 2019, 08:53:35 PM »
Watched her 'address', complete with her usual stock phrases: it seems it isn't her fault at all!

She is a waste of space and needs to go sooner rather than later. If her deal gets voted down next week, as it should, I can't see how she can stay as PM.

She is fucking unbelievable. There are no other words necessary.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #3664 on: March 21, 2019, 08:30:24 AM »
I feel sorry for May, she has done her best, to get the best deal for the UK, even though she wasn't a Brexit supporter, unlike Corbyn!

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3665 on: March 21, 2019, 08:39:12 AM »
I feel sorry for May, she has done her best, to get the best deal for the UK, even though she wasn't a Brexit supporter, unlike Corbyn!
She might have done her best but look where it’s led us. And now she will not face reality. She still thinks she can get her deal through by running it down to the deadline and hoping. This is going to end in a No Deal situation.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3666 on: March 21, 2019, 08:40:46 AM »

Why do you feel sorry for her? I genuinely do not understand your viewpoint. She has created this mess. Triggered Article 50 without having a clear goal. Wasted time on an unneeded, unwanted General election. Set down red lines that alienated vast parts of the HOC. Ran down the clock continuously in the hope of forcing MP's to back her deal. She is incompetent. As I have pointed out before Corbyn is not in charge of this process May is.

The Tories gave us the referendum, negotiated the deal, and messed it up. To distract with cries of What about Corbyn is a waste of time. Concentrate on who got us into this mess. Step up Mrs May.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3667 on: March 21, 2019, 08:44:29 AM »
She might have done her best but look where it’s led us. And now she will not face reality. She still thinks she can get her deal through by running it down to the deadline and hoping. This is going to end in a No Deal situation.
And her speech last night was a disgrace

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3668 on: March 21, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »
Why do you feel sorry for her? I genuinely do not understand your viewpoint. She has created this mess. Triggered Article 50 without having a clear goal. Wasted time on an unneeded, unwanted General election. Set down red lines that alienated vast parts of the HOC. Ran down the clock continuously in the hope of forcing MP's to back her deal. She is incompetent. As I have pointed out before Corbyn is not in charge of this process May is.

The Tories gave us the referendum, negotiated the deal, and messed it up. To distract with cries of What about Corbyn is a waste of time. Concentrate on who got us into this mess. Step up Mrs May.
While I agree with all of this, Corbyn walking out of the meeting last night was a joke.

Roses

« Reply #3669 on: March 21, 2019, 09:13:02 AM »

Those who unwisely voted to leave the EU created the mess which May has tried unsuccessfully to sort out. 

wigginhall

« Reply #3670 on: March 21, 2019, 09:20:09 AM »
I thought yesterday she was looking dysfunctional, or as the Guardian put it, she's gone rogue.   But her version of Brexit was a very narrow one..   Now, blaming parliament seems dangerous to me, as many MPs get death threats.   She should be replaced, but the alternatives look scary, e.g., Johnson.

wigginhall

« Reply #3671 on: March 21, 2019, 09:40:43 AM »
Baked beans or lentils?   We thought we'd splash out, and have both stockpiled.   Not much in the allotment at the moment either.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3672 on: March 21, 2019, 09:44:43 AM »

Yep.
He's aiming for the "Mr Irony" award - with a good chance he'll get it.
Talk about childishness?
With less than a fortnight to go, he shows his true abilities - again.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

wigginhall

« Reply #3673 on: March 21, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »
I must admit last night, I was freaked out by May, she looked ill.   Talking about "indulgence" in parliament is beyond irony.    However, I have recovered my good cheer, it's off to get the lentils in.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3674 on: March 21, 2019, 10:06:00 AM »
Those who unwisely voted to leave the EU created the mess which May has tried unsuccessfully to sort out.
I think the "mess" was ongoing for quite some time even before the brexit vote. She has not tried to sort it out - as Trent says she is incompetent, just as she was as Home Secretary prior to PM.   

She became PM with a majority, squandered in hubris, with clear support in parliament for leaving the EU, as per referendum, again devalued and squandered .

The 2 years since A50 was triggered has been wasted, mostly by David Davis , and now she is laying the groundwork for Boris Johnson, the clown, to take the wheel.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now