Author Topic: Brexit - the next steps  (Read 399731 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Brexit - the next steps
« Reply #3675 on: March 21, 2019, 11:11:42 AM »
Those who unwisely voted to leave the EU created the mess which May has tried unsuccessfully to sort out.

Nope. Those who unwisely offered a referendum in the first place are responsible. That would be the Conservative government.

I don't know why you continue to defend the indefensible. It is the Conservative party's fault we are in this mess. Theresa May has been at the heart of the Tory party in one form or another for many years. She is responsible in large part for this mess.

It really is no point blaming the voters. After all, if you ask a stupid question, don't be surprised that you get a stupid answer.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #3676 on: March 21, 2019, 11:18:27 AM »
Nope. Those who unwisely offered a referendum in the first place are responsible. That would be the Conservative government.

I don't know why you continue to defend the indefensible. It is the Conservative party's fault we are in this mess. Theresa May has been at the heart of the Tory party in one form or another for many years. She is responsible in large part for this mess.

It really is no point blaming the voters. After all, if you ask a stupid question, don't be surprised that you get a stupid answer.

Labour would not have done any better, imo. I speak as one who voted for our Labour Party candidate in the last election.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3677 on: March 21, 2019, 11:42:47 AM »

Labour would not have done any better, imo. I speak as one who voted for our Labour Party candidate in the last election.

We will never know, but give me Starmer over Davis et al, anyday.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Spud

« Reply #3678 on: March 21, 2019, 12:04:09 PM »
Those who unwisely voted to leave the EU created the mess which May has tried unsuccessfully to sort out.
Quite right... I've emailed my MP to explain why I voted leave and why I now think we should remain. Meanwhile, this petition to parliament is gaining about 200 signatures every 10 seconds!
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:51:57 PM by Spud »

Roses

« Reply #3679 on: March 21, 2019, 12:07:03 PM »
Quite right... I've emailed my MP to explain why I voted leave and why I now think we should remain. Meanwhile, this petition to parliament is gaining about 300 signatures every 10 seconds!

Apparently the petition has crashed as so many are trying to sign it!

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3680 on: March 21, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »
Quite right... I've emailed my MP to explain why I voted leave and why I now think we should remain. Meanwhile, this petition to parliament is gaining about 200 signatures every 10 seconds!
I managed to sign it before it crashed. At that time it was up to about 639,000 signatures.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Roses

« Reply #3681 on: March 21, 2019, 04:57:17 PM »
I managed to sign it before it crashed. At that time it was up to about 639,000 signatures.

The petition is up and running again now, and was up to 1,000,000 signatures when I signed it.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3682 on: March 21, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »

The petition is up and running again now, and was up to 1,000,000 signatures when I signed it.
It's down again now.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Roses

« Reply #3683 on: March 21, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »
It's down again now.

So many people are anxious to sign it, I hope the House of Commons takes note.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3684 on: March 21, 2019, 05:22:04 PM »

So many people are anxious to sign it, I hope the House of Commons takes note.

Of course people will say that it is a mere fraction of 17.4 million

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3685 on: March 21, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
So how does May get the deal approved given Bercow won't allow it to be voted on?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3686 on: March 21, 2019, 05:37:07 PM »

Of course people will say that it is a mere fraction of 17.4 million

Indeed. Loathsome Leadsom already has.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3687 on: March 21, 2019, 06:09:08 PM »
So it is 22nd May if May gets her deal through. I suspect Bercow will allow another go on the basis that the extension date is a change that is significant, but should she fail again that will be it: I'd imagine she'd resign at that point (assuming she has any scruples left).

I doubt A50 will be rescinded any time soon, but should her deal fail again the EU will seemingly offer a longer extension but with conditions around political changes that would find agreement in the HoC and, perhaps, a GE or referendum to confirm the support of the electorate. Aside from the usual suspects in the lunatic fringe, I'd hope the HoC would ensure no deal is avoided, since for example there are already reports that teachers in Kent might have to adopt a duty or care role due to disruption/congestion in that area.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/mar/21/kent-teachers-care-stranded-pupils-parents-traffic-disruption-no-deal-brexit

It is madness that we are a week away from this type of thing.   

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3688 on: March 21, 2019, 06:17:39 PM »
I don't think though that the extension date is part of the legislation so Bercow is going to have to do a bit of dancing to allow the vote.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3689 on: March 21, 2019, 06:20:30 PM »
Petition currently running at 1,220,000

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3690 on: March 21, 2019, 06:20:53 PM »
It would be stunning if Bercow refused MV3 - would concentrate minds wonderfully.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3691 on: March 21, 2019, 06:24:53 PM »
It would be stunning if Bercow refused MV3 - would concentrate minds wonderfully.
If he does there are 2 choices. Revoke or no deal. Though if a referendum were added to the legislation then that would be new but that needs a longer extension.

I see Corbyn is out in Brussels talking about his deal. This seems quixotic given everything the EU has said.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3692 on: March 21, 2019, 06:56:37 PM »
Reports now say the 22nd May has been replaced by something unspecified as yet.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3693 on: March 21, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »
I see Corbyn is out in Brussels talking about his deal. This seems quixotic given everything the EU has said.
Whatever deal he wants the WA will have to be a part of it. And indeed there is nothing stopping him approving it now except that he will have no control or influence over any longer term negotiations falling out from the political declaration. 

May has some simple things she could do (or could have done) to get her deal to pass and achieve brexit But she's not willing to dump Davis, Johnson, Mogg and the other bone heads and give Corbyn a chance to prove he can actually manage anything. Maybe he doesn't want that anyway, would rather settle for looking heroic fighting against "tory brexit" as the country goes down.

Also she has cabinet members who would prefer no-deal to a customs union.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3694 on: March 21, 2019, 07:27:42 PM »
Whatever deal he wants the WA will have to be a part of it. And indeed there is nothing stopping him approving it now except that he will have no control or influence over any longer term negotiations falling out from the political declaration. 

May has some simple things she could do (or could have done) to get her deal to pass and achieve brexit But she's not willing to dump Davis, Johnson, Mogg and the other bone heads and give Corbyn a chance to prove he can actually manage anything. Maybe he doesn't want that anyway, would rather settle for looking heroic fighting against "tory brexit" as the country goes down.

Also she has cabinet members who would prefer no-deal to a customs union.
The WA is the thing on the table. It isn't part of something, it is the something. The idea that this is hugely changeable as Labour 's push works, particularly given they are not in power, seems bizarre.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3695 on: March 21, 2019, 07:37:05 PM »
May's decision to call an election which she said she wouldn't to make it easier for the Tory party has substantially led to the disaster we face. She is a racist, incompetent liar and her speech last night was disgraceful.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:39:30 PM by Nearly Sane »

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #3696 on: March 21, 2019, 08:22:09 PM »

Five minutes ago over 1,300,00.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3697 on: March 21, 2019, 09:58:18 PM »
Five minutes ago over 1,300,00.
1.8 million now.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3698 on: March 21, 2019, 10:25:13 PM »
The WA is the thing on the table. It isn't part of something, it is the something. The idea that this is hugely changeable as Labour 's push works, particularly given they are not in power, seems bizarre.
If that is "the thing" why doesn't he support it and give Labour MPs a free vote? That gets a brexit rather than no deal and he can dispose of May later after her right wing turn on her (again)?

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3699 on: March 21, 2019, 10:32:19 PM »
If that is "the thing" why doesn't he support it and give Labour MPs a free vote? That gets a brexit rather than no deal and he can dispose of May later after her right wing turn on her (again)?

No, it ends with no deal. An extension is for something. The EU have said the WA is the deal. There is not a magic new deal